Who is required to report to immigration within 24 hours?

At  the  time  and point  of  entry it  is  required  to  state  at  least  the initial place  of  stay. Job done  for the  visitor. If staying at a hotel it is  required  that that  establishment  notifies  a  corresponding   verification.

This  law  does  make  an ass  of itself   in respect  of  touring  visitors who  may  change  location daily because the  TM27  is irrelevant to them. The  TM30   applies  to the  proprietors  of  the  resident  , not the  visitor.

For  longer  term stayers it  would  seem  that   notification  at a stable location  is  expected which  involves  both  the  TM30  and the TM 27 being submitted. Responsibility is  specific  under  the  requirements to  be seperately  for both the   foreigner and  the  Thai  host regardless  of  even a spousal relationship. Which  in practical  terms  means  that  the  foreigner should attempt  due  diligence  for  both especially in the situation  of  exits  and  returns..return  to  previous place  of  residence   does  not  exempt the  requirement

Short  term  ( not  more  than  24  hours at a  hotel)  away  from  an identified stable  location  or perhaps  with  friends  or  family for  a  longer  period  are  unlikely  to  be  of  concern  or  detected unless   some   dramatic   event  occurs but which  can  be obviated by  declaring a  departure/stay  of  less  than  24  hours. 

I  have  been told  there is  a  similar  requirement  for  Thai who  live/work  outside  of  home  province   but   invariably  never  do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

At  the  time  and point  of  entry it  is  required  to  state  at  least  the initial place  of  stay. Job done  for the  visitor. If staying at a hotel it is  required  that that  establishment  notifies  a  corresponding   verification.

This  law  does  make  an ass  of itself   in respect  of  touring  visitors who  may  change  location daily because the  TM27  is irrelevant to them. The  TM30   applies  to the  proprietors  of  the  resident  , not the  visitor.

For  longer  term stayers it  would  seem  that   notification  at a stable location  is  expected which  involves  both  the  TM30  and the TM 27 being submitted. Responsibility is  specific  under  the  requirements to  be seperately  for both the   foreigner and  the  Thai  host regardless  of  even a spousal relationship. Which  in practical  terms  means  that  the  foreigner should attempt  due  diligence  for  both especially in the situation  of  exits  and  returns..return  to  previous place  of  residence   does  not  exempt the  requirement

Short  term  ( not  more  than  24  hours at a  hotel)  away  from  an identified stable  location  or perhaps  with  friends  or  family for  a  longer  period  are  unlikely  to  be  of  concern  or  detected unless   some   dramatic   event  occurs but which  can  be obviated by  declaring a  departure/stay  of  less  than  24  hours. 

I  have  been told  there is  a  similar  requirement  for  Thai who  live/work  outside  of  home  province   but   invariably  never  do.

What is a TM27?  Did you mean TM.28 (FORM FOR ALIENS TO NOTIFY THEIR CHANGE OF ADDRESS
OR THEIR STAY IN THE PROVINCE FOR OVER 24 HOURS )?

"Who is required to report to immigration within 24 hours?"

1. From an academic, legal point of view it is impossible to say who has to make the notifications required by sections 37 and 38 of the Immigration Act, because we do not know the text of the currently valid conditions and regulations prescribed by the Director General of the Police Department mentioned in those two sections of the Act.

2. From a practical – or should I say impractical – point of view it is whoever an individual immigration office or an individual immigration official says at the particular point in time when the question arises.

Sad, but true.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Normally house owners must report any foreigner staying on their premises within 24 hours - this means that my wife must report me when I arrive to her place from an overseas trip.

However nobody cares and nobody does it.

Hotels and guesthouses have an automatic reporting system that reports you when you check in.

..hmm..just wait for the time when you want to renew your visa and are denied until you pay the 1600b fine!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, realviking48 said:

I wonder.. If I already have been reported in a condo/house..

then later I take a trip around in Thailand... for some days..weeks.. If I  not "checked out"

is then everything OK? I still regesterd in the condo all the time?

..well if you do the registering at each place you stay then Immigration can track your movements.

1 hour ago, tandor said:

..hmm..just wait for the time when you want to renew your visa and are denied until you pay the 1600b fine!

Where?

ONCE AGAIN, please state the Immigration office where this is a requirement.

So far Chiang Mai and Korat have been mentioned but there are  plenty other foreigners reporting and extending elsewhere who are not being harassed as such.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Where?

ONCE AGAIN, please state the Immigration office where this is a requirement.

So far Chiang Mai and Korat have been mentioned but there are  plenty other foreigners reporting and extending elsewhere who are not being harassed as such.

..Chiang Mai..keep your shirt on!

In my case I filled in the TM30 and signed it as the 'Housemaster or person Owning the property"  and presented that with a photocopy of the registered owner on the Chanot's, ID card. That was accepted without her being present and my 1600 baht was gratefully accepted too. (PS my yellow Tabien Baan meant nothing according to Immigration when it comes to the TM30..the yellow book is only issued by the Amphur Office and used for other procedures. I argued it was proof of my address, however when it came to proving i was back in the country i needed to submit the completed TM30 form. As far as i am aware that is the law and once again it is up to the relevant Immigration Office how they interpret it, based i would venture to say on their own knowledge of their own laws).

12 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Chiang Mai - It clearly states that no extensions will be issued without a completed TM30!

I have just done my 1 year marriage visa extension in Chiang mai immigration office and the IO took a photo copy of my TM 30 and yellow house book for they record. He have told me that with out the TM 30 I can't get the extension of stay in Thailand. As so, is important to get it done and keep it in our passport for the future as I don't have any intention to paid any fine. Cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ken126 said:

Thanks

I have a yellow book and live in Chiang Mai province as an earlier post stated Chiang Mai Immigration require you to register your address if you leave the country even if I take visitors into Burma at Masai for a few hours the next day have to register my address even though it's the same address

Thats life !!!!

• Like 1

I live in a rented residence in Bangkok (3 monthly rental contract, but payable each month) and my return to Thailand to that residence is reported on-line to immigration each time I return from a trip outside of Thailand. That's the way it should be done.

It is the responsibility of the residence or hotel owners to report your return.

There is a Filipina worker who handles such on-line notifications as part of her job.

She copies your passport I.D.  and entry stamp for each entry, and forwards that copy to immigration on-line for each arrival.

• Like 1

NanLaew, they do ask for them at Jomtien, and yes, there is a big sign up as you go in.Many people have been fined for not reporting, and Jomtien  will not give you an extension without the Notification receipt in your passport.

6 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

I have just done my 1 year marriage visa extension in Chiang mai immigration office and the IO took a photo copy of my TM 30 and yellow house book for they record. He have told me that with out the TM 30 I can't get the extension of stay in Thailand. As so, is important to get it done and keep it in our passport for the future as I don't have any intention to paid any fine. Cheers

I never get the receipt to keep in my passport and it's never been a problem to date.

In Samut Sakhon, they kept the TM30 and job done.

Next is the 90 day report and they give a receipt to keep in the passport.

In my case, next the retirement ext, next leave Thailand for 6 months before needing to do another 90 day report.

Now our Imm staff are lovely and we got to know them.

On arrival in Thailand, my wife sends a Line message to a friendly Imm officer with copies of the stamps in the PP.

The Imm officer accepts this as a TM 30 report, job done.

I asked what should we do if we go away in Thailand for a holiday.

Do we need to report TM30 again.

The answer was no, only do the report when you first arrive in Thailand from an outside country.

The hotel/GH's that we use on the trips, make their report but our Imm know that we are permanent at my wife's address so the default is that we would be there.

That is true too, so if they needed to contact, they would know where to find "The Farang"! he he.

I have said before, that my wife thought I was silly when I mentioned the TM 30 so when we made my first 90 day report in SS, I took along a TM 30 and discussed it with them.

They were pleased that I had done this and took my TM30 and created another form.

Then we chatted about it and came up with the phone call method and all is good.

Please note that this is our experience and may not be the same for anyone else (I'm a Hansum Man LOL)

Imm rules appear to change depending on many factors:

The office you have to use (nearest to where you live).

The mood of that officer today.

IMHO, being respectful and reasonably presented are usually a good start.

They are over worked, under paid (ever happened to you?)

Of course, my Mrs taking a bag of cakes helped a lot LOL

Nam Jai!

Stay cool and best of luck.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, geisha said:

NanLaew, they do ask for them at Jomtien, and yes, there is a big sign up as you go in.Many people have been fined for not reporting, and Jomtien  will not give you an extension without the Notification receipt in your passport.

I have seen this discussion on another thread. Yes, there is a large poster at the Jomtien office saying the TM30 needs to be filed but myself and two other friends filed 2 retirement and 1 marriage extension respectively as recently as February this year and none of us were asked for it. Last year, I did submit a TM30 when renewing the retirement extension and it was handed back to me as not required.

Have you personally had an extension declined at Jomtien unless the TM30 was filed and if so, how recent was it? If you know of some other person recently being requested to complete a TM30 and/or being fined, it would also be good to know when it happened. There's no denying that rules may have been in existence for years and that some jurisdictions pursue them whereas others don't care. All in the interest of keeping current with the lottery.

Edited by NanLaew

9 hours ago, tandor said:

..Chiang Mai..keep your shirt on!

In my case I filled in the TM30 and signed it as the 'Housemaster or person Owning the property"  and presented that with a photocopy of the registered owner on the Chanot's, ID card. That was accepted without her being present and my 1600 baht was gratefully accepted too. (PS my yellow Tabien Baan meant nothing according to Immigration when it comes to the TM30..the yellow book is only issued by the Amphur Office and used for other procedures. I argued it was proof of my address, however when it came to proving i was back in the country i needed to submit the completed TM30 form. As far as i am aware that is the law and once again it is up to the relevant Immigration Office how they interpret it, based i would venture to say on their own knowledge of their own laws).

Thanks for the update. Do you get a receipt for the 1600 baht fine?

Yes, yellow books mean bugger all to immigration. I think the confusion arises when they can be mostly accepted as proof of a Thai domicile to a third party such as a bank in the same way as the 'residence letter' from immigration is accepted for those who either don't have or can't get a yellow book. However, Amphurs don't ask for immigration letters and immigration ignores yellow books.

Edited by NanLaew

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the update. Do you get a receipt for the 1600 baht fine?

Yes, yellow books mean bugger all to immigration. I think the confusion arises when they can be mostly accepted as proof of a Thai domicile to a third party such as a bank in the same way as the 'residence letter' from immigration is accepted for those who either don't have or can't get a yellow book. However, Amphurs don't ask for immigration letters and immigration ignores yellow books.

...i certainly did get a receipt which is stapled in my Passport as proof.

Anyone encounter a problem leaving the country without this tm30 form , I have not been back in Thailand for 90 days yet, so need for a 90 day report, I dont need to renew my 1 year extension of stay, but I have not reported any address, other than on my arrival card. Now leaving the country next week and wondering if there will be a problem?

2 minutes ago, alstaxi said:

Anyone encounter a problem leaving the country without this tm30 form , I have not been back in Thailand for 90 days yet, so need for a 90 day report, I dont need to renew my 1 year extension of stay, but I have not reported any address, other than on my arrival card. Now leaving the country next week and wondering if there will be a problem?

The don't care about anything on departure from the country other than your permit to stay date.

Certainly not a TM30 form receipt or even 90 day report slips.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alstaxi said:

Not yet.

...but I seriously doubt that departure or even arrival immigration will be tasked with checking these. So far it looks like non-tourists filing or renewing their extension of stay at several but certainly not all immigration offices are the targets.... for now.

FYI: From another forum, someone renewed an extension at Udon Thani immigration 3 weeks ago and no TM30 requested.

Edited by NanLaew

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Not yet.

...but I seriously doubt that departure or even arrival immigration will be tasked with checking these. So far it looks like non-tourists filing or renewing their extension of stay at several but certainly not all immigration offices are the targets.... for now.

FYI: From another forum, someone renewed an extension at Udon Thani immigration 3 weeks ago and no TM30 requested.

I have renewed my 1 year extension of stay, the stamp in my passport says retirement visa, which it really is not, and have never been asked for a tm30, actually never heard of it. I provide my address on my arrival card, never been bothered about any of these things, this has been going smoothly for 15 years, now all this has hit the fan so to speak.

9 minutes ago, alstaxi said:

I have renewed my 1 year extension of stay, the stamp in my passport says retirement visa...

Your extension of stay stamp saying "retirement visa" is unique and I should be grateful if you posted a copy of it.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, SiamBeast said:

Normally house owners must report any foreigner staying on their premises within 24 hours - this means that my wife must report me when I arrive to her place from an overseas trip.

However nobody cares and nobody does it.

Hotels and guesthouses have an automatic reporting system that reports you when you check in.

The majority of hotels I stay in do NOT automatically report foreign guests, though they have the means to do so. If you show them a Thai driver's licence, they won't report your presence. Even if you show them your passport, they usually only make a copy of the front information page and won't report you either. It's generally only hotels in places like downtown Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and a few other places that follow the law according to the book, but even then it's not every hotel or guesthouse. Khao San road in Bangkok is said to be strict, but the Marriott or Novotel might not be.

There was talk of a crackdown in the aftermath of the 2015 Bangkok bombings but it was probably only short-lived and had little effect on those hotels who never regularly reported foreign guests. Those that do have been doing so for years if not decades and the events of 2015 and any police order had no effect; those that didn't may or may not have cracked down but in my experience I have not found there to be any changes. But then again I don't stay on Khao san road.

14 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What happens if the hotel does not report the tourist to immigration? Same as with a condo - the tourist will be fined?

Highly unlikely because most of the time tourists only spend a night or two at a hotel. The majority of customers will be tourists on visa exemptions or tourist visas, rather than extensions of stay. The former are unlikely to need to have any dealings with immigration except if they choose to extend their visas. The latter are more likely to be fined, but this depends on their local immigration office.

Edited by jimster

1 minute ago, jimster said:

Highly unlikely because most of the time tourists only spend a night or two at a hotel. The majority of customers will be tourists on visa exemptions or tourist visas, rather than extensions of stay. The former are unlikely to need to have any dealings with immigration except if they choose to extend their visas. The latter are most likely to be fined.

I think that there might be many people in my situation:

During the past 10 years I have spent 7/8 months a year in Thailand, on a non im O visa, that I obtain yearly in my home country.

After 3 months I extent my entry with 2 months for being married to a Thai, after that I go to Kampuchea for 5 minutes and get another 3 months.

How do I know that the airport hotel reports me upon arrival? / What if after a 24 hours trip I do not rush to my local imm office with my wife?

And the obvious answer should be: "Ask your local imm office".....

I did that once, and got a very confusing reaction, and besides, they can change their rules anytime.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I think that there might be many people in my situation:

During the past 10 years I have spent 7/8 months a year in Thailand, on a non im O visa, that I obtain yearly in my home country.

After 3 months I extent my entry with 2 months for being married to a Thai, after that I go to Kampuchea for 5 minutes and get another 3 months.

How do I know that the airport hotel reports me upon arrival? / What if after a 24 hours trip I do not rush to my local imm office with my wife?

And the obvious answer should be: "Ask your local imm office".....

I did that once, and got a very confusing reaction, and besides, they can change their rules anytime.

i think the short answer is that its not you but the house master/hotelier/condo owner that is responsible,  we have been assured that only they can be fined or have a problem regarding registration of guests. in the video we tried to clarify that by saying that the Onus is on the HOUSEMASTER not the guest.  

but I am not sure whether there is some confusion here between registering as a resident at your main abode, which i think is done i the 90 day reporting  and needs a photo and document filled in, AND the reporting of a temporary visitor IN your home, ( guest) to which the video applies.

Edited by TommyDee
  • Like 1

Those of you reporting your own experiences, or those of others, WRT "extensions" need to SPECIFY what kind of extensions you're talking about. Some who're trying to follow this discussion are just anticipating 30d extensions on their SETVs and are trying to figure out whether they need to be concerned or not.

NanLaew, yes, I was at Jomtien, did not pay a fine because I'd been already warned by neighbours and also a friend in Chiang Mai, so I had all my papers in order and did it within 24 hours. There, I asked , and they confirmed the law was being in force.they also told me I wouldn't get an extension without the Notification receipt.A few people in the queue had to leave and go back with the money for fines.This was in December and February last.

• Like 1