Aluminium or PVC ??

thequietman

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

I live in a 3 storey shophouse right opposite a beach.. Aluminium sections corrode badly, especially the joints that use steel inserts - not good for more than a few years.  Roller wheels, etc. seize very rapidly.  I replaced a sliding mossie screen and the wheels seized in less than 12 months.

The "hinges" like those shown earlier in this thread are all rusted solid (I have these on aluminium section windows), but I have no idea how old they are - maybe 10+.

But I'm only renting so unwilling to replace anything with good quality UPVC, which are recommended by other close by.

I have uPVC, 7-year old now, rollers (in slide doors) and all metal parts corrode badly. I have one aluminium door (changed from uPVC 3-year ago, gave up finding parts) which looks like it lasts batter.

Seem like it's not so much a question of uPVC, aluminium or hard wood, but merely that metal parts that can corrode – weather conditions are hard in Thailand, and I furthermore live by the sea.

A little remark about my experience with uPVC. Choose a supplier that can service the doors/windows, as some parts may be quite special and difficult to find – talk from bad experience – so it's a benefit if it's supplied by a company with good local representation. My experience is, that next time I'll chose another uPVC brand than the one I did, but probably change to aluminum instead, as it's easy to find numerous local workshops doing aluminium doors/windows, and storing spare parts.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2017 at 6:14 PM, Crossy said:

Actually, you have a third choice, good quality hardwood.

Yes it needs maintenance, but it looks so much better than either of the modern alternatives.

Labour is cheap here, pay a man to rub down and re-finish (with good quality materials) every couple of years.

Yes.. good choice... both the above are crap.. I finished my wood windows and doors myself  3 years ago.. still look good.. 

16472325900_68ce88ffc3_o.jpg

I fitted uPVC windows in my last house over 12 years ago. Lots of naysayers at the time, lots of comments on the price. They are still white, un-faded or yellowed. The multi locking systems still function and (unsurprisingly) no movement or leaks.

the 8+mm tinted safety glass with plastic laminate has stood the test of time and blocks heat and noise.

In my latest house I chose once again to fit uPVC. It's cheaper now and there are more options. So far after 4 years I have had few problems. Yes the frame thickness is greater than aluminium or wood but I have very large window openings to offset this. They are maintenance free, draft proof, multi locking and again due to the glass type and thickness very good at isolating us from exterior noise. If high quality aluminium windows were readily available here I would have considered them. But mostly they are poorly constructed and have none of the features listed above. As with most things in Thailand there is limited choice and anything of note or quality is expensive and often difficult to locate.

I'm more than happy with the uPVC and it blends well with the modern style of my house ( I can understand the reticence of some if they have a more traditional style dwelling) I've never thought about the cost since delivery and that alone tells me I made the correct choice.

If you have the money, go for kiln / oven dried teak wood (OLD Golden Teak) Get a good few coats of varnish on to it ASAP and once fitted it will not budge. I have "young" teak wood which is quite light on about 12 windows and they shrink and swell with the weather, the old kiln dried teak is as solid as a rock, unfortunately you get what you pay for and the old teak is about 3 times the price of the younger variety.

Mai Daeng will work but it is a pig to work on as it is so hard and brittle. (And HEAVY)

Hi, being an ex-carpenter, I would highly recommend UPVC windows. We built a house in Ubon Ratchathani using a expat builder. We looked at Aluminium windows/doors which the expat builder recommended. However as security was highly important to us, we felt the the aluminium windows did not meet our requirements. You could force a window or door in a few seconds with a screwdriver or a pinch bar. These were suppose to be the top of the range units. We looked at all the Aluminium windows at the varoius building suppliers, and felt while they all looked nice, not one of them offerred any security.  Therefore we decided to fit UPVC windows and doors, they are not cheap. However the multi locking for security and double glassed units to prevent heat transfer is well worth the cost in my opinion. The expat builder was so impressed with the UPVC units, he intalled them in his own house.  Wood is very nice to see, however high maintanance. Wood will expand with the rain on them. Our UPVC windows have been installed nearly 2 years with no dis-colour. Added bonus is the fly screens installed with them ?

I love teak, and all my inside doors are teak. However, my outside doors and windows are heavy gauge, powder-coated aluminum with double plate glass and argon gas. Glass is UV-resistant coated.

Yes, this is expensive, but "cheap" is often "expensive" in the long run. Plus I appreciate high quality.

PVC is a lot cheaper ... in price as well as quality, and -- to me -- is ugly.

To each his own.

18 hours ago, Slugs11 said:

Hi, being an ex-carpenter, I would highly recommend UPVC windows. We built a house in Ubon Ratchathani using a expat builder. We looked at Aluminium windows/doors which the expat builder recommended. However as security was highly important to us, we felt the the aluminium windows did not meet our requirements. You could force a window or door in a few seconds with a screwdriver or a pinch bar. These were suppose to be the top of the range units. We looked at all the Aluminium windows at the varoius building suppliers, and felt while they all looked nice, not one of them offerred any security.  Therefore we decided to fit UPVC windows and doors, they are not cheap. However the multi locking for security and double glassed units to prevent heat transfer is well worth the cost in my opinion. The expat builder was so impressed with the UPVC units, he intalled them in his own house.  Wood is very nice to see, however high maintanance. Wood will expand with the rain on them. Our UPVC windows have been installed nearly 2 years with no dis-colour. Added bonus is the fly screens installed with them ?

Must have been very poor quality aluminum if you thought PVC was more secure. 

7 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Must have been very poor quality aluminum if you thought PVC was more secure. 

I dont think there is any significant difference between aluminium and uPVC when it comes to security, though the uPVC frames are certainly a lot chunkier and so may appear to be more solid. I think that both could be opened quite easily by a determined thief.

As I'm in a high-rise condo security is not much of an issue. I rarely actually lock my existing patio windows anyway: I just slide them closed.

Expect this is a real 'up to you' decision.  My choice is aluminium which we used to replace original wood type in our 43 year old home here.  As grew up in Colonial New England home from 1775 taken down to bear wood by patents not a big fan of wood issues.  And had issues here also over the years.  Have had no issues at all with custom made aluminium replacements which have been used for last decade or two and have thick sound blocking glass.  

Obviously might feel different if house was an old Thai style wood home design.  

Currently, I am remolding a guest house into my ‘office’ here in the middle of Thailand and trying to find windows. The problem I have is finding windows that slide up and down instead of swinging out.  

Well aware of wooden windows as our Teak house has plenty. Looks good but can be a pain in the butt. Both Aluminum and uPVC windows can also work if one buys quality. And they all swing out. Not what I want.

Any ideas?

On 26/04/2017 at 10:20 PM, kamalabob2 said:

I believe if a home builder or home owner wanted to see and examine good quality windows and doors they should go in person for at least one day, if not two days to Bangkok and spend time at the Architect Expo. It is no cost to enter, no one will pressure you to buy a thing, and you can really examine all types of quality doors and windows. This event is next week and you can register on line. 

http://www.architectexpo.com/2017/?lang=en

I spent a few interesting hours at this place yesterday. Not bad at all.

I suppose there were around 10 aluminium window/door stands, most of which were high-end and some of which I had never heard of. Very few people doing security/sound-proof doors though which was something else I was interested in.

If the OP or anyone interested in custom size UPVC, quality wooden, or custom size aluminum windows visits the Architect Expo in Bangkok May 2nd through May 7th they can obtain an immediate price quote from reputable window fabricators who do installations of a certain size in most provinces in Thailand. Think of the better hotels or private hospitals and the quality they demand of energy efficient windows. You can buy ANY sort of window configuration in Thailand including single hung, double hung, casement, etc.. Hidden insect screens are readily available. Just not at Homepro, HomeWorks, ThaiWatsadu, Global House or Home Mart. Standard off the shelf sizes are available from any home improvement store.  Windsor or Vignet has fabricators to make custom size UPVC windows in any part of Thailand. I've posted previously the "Dr. Temper" tempered windows I had made to order and installed by an experienced team in 2008 in Buriram Province. No awning windows in the bathrooms, no casement windows and no single hung windows have presented issues.  Sun Paradise and Aluzat also gave me written bids on windows for my home in Buriram that included insect screens and installation. My next home will have Aluzat Windows and screens made to order and installed by that Bangkok based window fabricator. There are over a dozen window firms with booths now set up daily in Bangkok at the free expo in Bangkok this week. Everyone makes person choices on windows. I now prefer casement windows for the high percentage of airflow. Those single hung windows only allow 50% airflow. Well crafted awning windows installed in a bathroom can give a high percentage of airflow. 

http://www.architectexpo.com/2017/?lang=en

Buriram Isaan Single Hung Aluminum Windows installation.jpg

Buriram Single Hung Window and Casement Aluminum Windows.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Slugs11 said:

What brand did you use Slugs?

I would always prefer wood except I spent years renovating a wooden yacht and had enough prep and varnishing for this life.

I would next choose UPVC for the "feel" of them.

But gotta say I have bronze colored Aluminium windows, they're 25 years old and with a wipe they look not so different to new.

What's more if you press a thumbnail into the sealing strip it is still perfectly flexible and still rebounds without trace. Remarkable quality for the cheapest option.

(BTW alu Windows including screen are available under 2000 per sqm)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 13/05/2017 at 11:54 AM, cheeryble said:

That's "local" quality. Multiply by 5 or even 10 for imported quality.

Prices are way over the top here. And I mean way over.

• 4 months later...
On 5/4/2017 at 9:40 AM, kamalabob2 said:

Hidden insect screens are readily available. Just not at Homepro, HomeWorks, ThaiWatsadu, Global House or Home Mart. Standard off the shelf sizes are available from any home improvement store. 

OK now I am in the market for retractable (or hidden) insect screens.  The windows are special fabricated and not off the shelf and are large sliding windows filling in from 280cmX180cm on the high side to 160cmX180cm on the smaller side. Where do I start looking? If they have to be fabricated so be it. Looking for some options in Khon Kaen (or Isaan). Thanks.

On 5/13/2017 at 12:54 AM, cheeryble said:

I would always prefer wood except I spent years renovating a wooden yacht and had enough prep and varnishing for this life.

I would next choose UPVC for the "feel" of them.

But gotta say I have bronze colored Aluminium windows, they're 25 years old and with a wipe they look not so different to new.

What's more if you press a thumbnail into the sealing strip it is still perfectly flexible and still rebounds without trace. Remarkable quality for the cheapest option.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I agree , in the hot sun of  my US Florida home, built in 1999, my white  aluminum windows, with a little cleaning, look  no different than the day they were installed.

The House I am now building in Khon Kaen, calls for wood windows, and I certainly like the warm, rich look of wood. but I don't like the work, needed to maintain them. Furthermore, even if I was willing to do the work, ,I am a lot older than my wife, and chances are that I will be going, way before she does, and I would not want to leave her , wit a high maintenance home.

So the windows and front door we chose in our estimate are all aluminum, with a wood look finish.

We have not got to that stage yet. and adjustment could be made before then,but certainly not wood.

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I agree , in the hot sun of  my US Florida home, built in 1999, my white  aluminum windows, with a little cleaning, look  no different than the day they were installed.

Do not imagine that the quality of your US frames is in any way comparable to the quality of Thai frames. It isn't.

My Thai aluminium windows are newer than yours but the metal is corroded and the sealing strips fell out before I even bought the condo. Also the wheels are wearing out, and they dont get much use.

These frames are rubbish of the worst type and were not even cut and installed square.

The aluminium frames I had in Europe were much better quality and looked and worked perfectly after 25 years of use.

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Do not imagine that the quality of your US frames is in any way comparable to the quality of Thai frames. It isn't.

My Thai aluminium windows are newer than yours but the metal is corroded and the sealing strips fell out before I even bought the condo. Also the wheels are wearing out, and they dont get much use.

These frames are rubbish of the worst type and were not even cut and installed square.

The aluminium frames I had in Europe were much better quality and looked and worked perfectly after 25 years of use.

I think this is a question of a little quality research.

I have a few of the 25yo old bronze windows tucked away.

I don't recall seeing a trade name but will look inside the edging and if find will let Sirineou know 

It's true the little wheels can bust/scrape on sliding doors suggest lubrication on installation.

Maybe be because of dirt sitting on the lower frame jamming the wheels then they scrape. Very cheap to get fixed though .

54 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

I think this is a question of a little quality research.

I dont think so. I am the sort of person who examines window frames when in houses and hotels and businesses etc., and all the local aluminium ones I have seen here have been thin rubbish. Different levels of rubbish, yes, but rubbish none the less.

The only quality products I have seen here have used imported frames, and all of them are wildly overpriced. If anyone actually knows of a specific local brand that is good quality, available for purchase, and comes from a supplier who can actually fit them then I would love to know about it. Even with imported frames it was almost impossible to find a supplier who could actually make and fit some windows as a renovation project, and the only ones who could were quoting silly prices that would cover a complete refit of an entire condo. A quarter of a million Baht for two windows? Give me a break.

5 hours ago, avvocato said:

OK now I am in the market for retractable (or hidden) insect screens.  The windows are special fabricated and not off the shelf and are large sliding windows filling in from 280cmX180cm on the high side to 160cmX180cm on the smaller side. Where do I start looking? If they have to be fabricated so be it. Looking for some options in Khon Kaen (or Isaan). Thanks.

These are available, mine came from BKK but I've seen them locally. I've got them on the big windows 3.3  x 1.4 meters and doors 2.2 x 2 metres 

IMG_7604.JPG.76e73e4647bdbc4decebbcb4e70bc8f3.JPGIMG_5420.JPG.7c2d2dc39f74ec648f429a3affa35bed.JPG

Less conspicuous but they might not be so suitable are these

IMG_7603.JPG.5ef75e957717836e84bc9b83b2750f2d.JPGIMG_1720.JPG.effbd12f32f68130837acacd0b5ff460.JPG 

We just broke ground with Piles a couple of weeks ago. waiting for the rains to stop and Monks to bless. LOL

We should not get to the window stage for a couple of months, and I will admit that i don't know much about aluminum, windows in Thailand, that'a why I am reading this and other sources.

I appreciate and will consider any and all opinions.

We are building in Khon Kaen.

3 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

My next home will have Aluzat Windows and screens made to order and installed by that Bangkok based window fabricator.

They are one of the many Thai companies that apparently has not grasped the use of email, in that they simply dont reply to serious requests for a quote. They also completely failed to follow up on a detailed request for a quote made in person at the Architect exhibition.

"Waste of time" is the phrase that springs to mind.

KittenKong:  Sorry to hear you were not given a quote by Aluzat. It might be worth your time to telephone this company. The MD speaks and understands English. I have been to their showroom. I was taken to two buildings, one new and one a remodel, that Aluzat was installing aluminum windows and aluminum sliding doors in Bangkok.  If you go in person to the showroom and meet the people face to face and see examples of their windows and doors you will understand why I would select that company over dozens of other custom windows companies for a modest home in Buriram province. 

http://www.aluzat.com/contactus.html

1 hour ago, kamalabob2 said:

If you go in person to the showroom and meet the people face to face and see examples of their windows and doors you will understand why I would select that company over dozens of other custom windows companies for a modest home in Buriram province. 

I do always favour face-to-face in Thailand as emails and phone calls rarely seem to get the sort of response I'm after. As their shop is quite accessible in Bangkok I will probably do as you suggest.

I did see their products at the expo and what I saw made me keen to get a quote, but for whatever reason it just never happened.

I do notice that they seem to have changed their email address from the one that I used, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Archived