is this Legal Letter important ? or can I ignore it ?

I received this letter in the post.

the address is correct... BUT its in Thai, and i dont know if it is important or not.

is it anything I should worry about ?

you dont need to translate it for me.

but if you can read thai, what subject is it about ?

Thanks

20170422_205126a (Medium).jpg

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

Curious...does the number posted in subject line mean anything to you ? Account # ?

It's says it's a contract number.

Assuming the OP is not the person it's addressed, I think it's safe to ignore. Unless you're married to her maybe. If you don't know her, then it's most likely someone who's moved on trying to stay a step or two ahead.

Subject: Please pay the debt before you have to go to court

Contract # 512492000208818

We have received a mandate from Thanachart bank Limited and we are advising you that that debt that you have ignored still has not been received. According to the contract that you have signed with the bank, We are advising you of the following:

1) We have submitted the case to the court in order to issue an order advising you to show up in court and to allow the court to consider the case.

2) If you lose the case, you will have to pay court fees as per the case and applicable interests along with additional fees (applicable by law). You will have to pay interest on the debt starting from the date of the judgement.

3) The company is therefore advising you that the case has been submitted to court and the court will send you a notice to appear. When the court will produce a judgement asking you to pay for the debt, you will probably need to liquidate assets. We will also be eligible to perform a seizure on your monthly salary.

4) If you need to make an arrangement and make the company withdraw their court claim in order to avoid court fees and penalties including subpoena fees and other associated fees, please reach out to the company upon receiving the confirmation of debt payment within 3 days. If you do not contact us back, we will assume that you have acknowledged this.

The Bank of Thailand is the control center that manages all the banks in the country. The BOT has a purpose which is to offer consultations, take care of unpaid debts, and manage financial operations all over Thailand. The BOT also offers financial advice to the population. If you are looking for more information, please inquire at the phone number 1213, fax 0-2283-6151 or e-mail [email protected]

Please consider the above, for your information.

-------------------------

I'm neither an English nor Thai speaker so I hope my translation will be good enough. If you're not the one named in the letter, you can ignore it.

Edited by SiamBeast

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

We have received a mandate from Thanachart bank Limited and we are advising you that that debt that you have ignored still has not been received. According to the contract that you have signed with the bank, We are advising you of the following:

1) We have submitted the case to the court in order to issue an order advising you to show up in court and to allow the court to consider the case.

2) If you lose the case, you will have to pay court fees as per the case and applicable interests along with additional fees (applicable by law). You will have to pay interest on the debt starting from the date of the judgement.

3) The company is therefore advising you that the case has been submitted to court and the court will send you a notice to appear. When the court will produce a judgement asking you to pay for the debt, you will probably need to liquidate assets. We will also be eligible to perform a seizure on your monthly salary.

4) If you need to make an arrangement and make the company withdraw their court claim in order to avoid court fees and penalties including subpoena fees and other associated fees, please reach out to the company upon receiving the confirmation of debt payment within 3 days. If you do not contact us back, we will assume that you have acknowledged this.

The Bank of Thailand is the control center that manages all the banks in the country. The BOT has a purpose which is to offer consultations, take care of unpaid debts, and manage financial operations all over Thailand. The BOT also offers financial advice to the population. If you are looking for more information, please inquire at the phone number 1213, fax 0-2283-6151 or e-mail [email protected]

I'm neither an English nor Thai speaker so I hope my translation will be good enough. If you're not the one named in the letter, you can ignore it.

OMG !!!

seroously,.. that was so nice that you wrote the whole translation.

i have never had a bank account with Tanachart bank.

i guess this letter is for the person that lived in my condo before me.

really,, thank you for the time it took you to write this.

so, ok, I can ignore it .

thanks again ;)

2 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Basically you have been owing money to the bank for a long time already and they are informing you that the case has been taken to court.

ok,, 

thanks

so then its nothing to do with me.

i dont have tannachart bank.

i think this letter is for the person that lived at my condo before me.

i will ignore the letter.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Curious...does the number posted in subject line mean anything to you ? Account # ?

now many people have told me what the letter is about, I know its nothing to do with me now.

i dont have tannachart bank.

the account number is not any of my numbers.

I conclude that this letter is for the person that lived at my condo before me.

thanks for your help ;)

2 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's says it's a contract number.

Assuming the OP is not the person it's addressed, I think it's safe to ignore. Unless you're married to her maybe. If you don't know her, then it's most likely someone who's moved on trying to stay a step or two ahead.

i assume its the person that lived at my condo before me.

i never had a tannachart bank account before.

and I dont have any debts.

thanks for your help ;)

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IMHO you should contact the law firm (debt collectors) and let them know that the debtor no longer lives at the address - or you could have the Court bailiffs knocking at your door with a warrant.

Yes.

good idea 

thanks for the suggestion

12 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Twenty years ago very quickly after my company bought a house in Pattaya we got visits from several law firms and several agencies in the debt collection field.

It transpired that the previous owners of the property and the previous owners before them (all Indians) had left behind them numerous unpaid large bills for telephone and credit cards (huge amounts) and more. The various cc bills were over 1MBaht.

(When we applied for a telephone line the TOT lady said 'the telephone number for this house has been changed many many times in the last few years using fake documents and there are unpaid bills over 200,000Baht and it's now in the hands of TOTs lawyers.' She then indicated she needed more documents to prove my name and spouse name and 30,000Baht cash deposit. Ultimately we did pay the deposit and it was refunded when we sold the house.)  

In fact one law firm offered to do some investigation and prepare for us a letter indicating that we had no family of any other connection to the two absconded previous owners. They also mentioned 'If you receive more bills and if the bill says your name, please beware that the original name on the bill has not been changed to your name.'

11 hours ago, easybullet3 said:

OMG !!!

thanks again ;)

Hopefully you never signed on as a guarantor for a loan someone else took out.

Lets hope it not the owner of that Condo you are in, and he hasnt used it as security on a loan. You could be without a home soon if that is the case.

Might be worth asking whoever you pay rent to.

12 hours ago, easybullet3 said:

OMG !!!

thanks again ;)

No you can't they will come knocking at your door or worse lock you out of your place or attach your assets inside the place. Contact the lawyers and inform them the debtor is not living there anymore.

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

IMHO you should contact the law firm (debt collectors) and let them know that the debtor no longer lives at the address - or you could have the Court bailiffs knocking at your door with a warrant.

Solid advice go the extra mile 

1 hour ago, how241 said:

I am a little surprised that you could not have found a Thai person to give this a quick read. Thaivisa is always helpful. Great site.

Maybe he didn't ask a Thai person to translate it for him? 

17 hours ago, tonray said:

Looks suspiciously like a VISA card number to me.  Someone's done a runner on their plastic.

Yes, i would contact the bank and try and have this put to bed before they take any action. Obviously you can prove who you are, and have nothing to do with this debt.I wouldn't contact their lawyer, simply because he is their lawyer and may be pissed at losing a commission.I dont know how far you are away from the  bank in question, but it may pay you to set up an appointment with the manager.

Also i would contact their head office/branch and explain the situation to them, As it has come to a court appearance,they would have knowledge of this.You were very lucky that the op was able to translate to such an extent. What a great guy. It shows that there really are some helpful people on TV.

5 hours ago, KamnanT said:

Looks suspiciously like a VISA card number to me.  Someone's done a runner on their plastic.

i will phone the bank and let them know that they have the wrong address and wrong person.

i will give the phone number on the letter a call also.

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Yes, i would contact the bank and try and have this put to bed before they take any action. Obviously you can prove who you are, and have nothing to do with this debt.I wouldn't contact their lawyer, simply because he is their lawyer and may be pissed at losing a commission.I dont know how far you are away from the  bank in question, but it may pay you to set up an appointment with the manager.

Also i would contact their head office/branch and explain the situation to them, As it has come to a court appearance,they would have knowledge of this.You were very lucky that the op was able to translate to such an extent. What a great guy. It shows that there really are some helpful people on TV.

i completely agree.

really nice for him to translate the entire letter.

and of course, I will let the bank/lawyer know that they have the wrong address and wrong person.

everyone here has been very helpful.