Feeding stray dogs, what is the point ?

Peterw42

My local soi and surrounding area has maybe 20-30 dogs, they have an area the size of a couple of football fields to run around in. The thing is, 2-3 of these "feed stray dogs" charities feed them everyday. What is the end game or purpose of these organisations ??? These dogs have food, shelter etc and are breeding out of control, I counted 2-3 litters of new puppies in the pack yesterday.

I love animals etc and get the idea of feeding them, but what is the long term goal or strategy ? The 20-30 stray dogs will be 40-50 stray dogs in 6 months.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the op problem as we live rural but we have 3 of our own dogs all well looked after can't get out of our land. However at 4pm daily this number is increased to 10 all sat nicely outside the gate waiting for it to be cracked open so they can enter. We feed them yes we also wash and de flea/tick them at least once a week. They have no owners I've already checked. Two are males the rest bitches so we took it upon our self's to relive the two males of there balls! Didn't cost a lot at least the bitches will be safe from pregnancy. They dissappear well I say dissappear in reality they go about 200 yes up the lane to a shelter they found an old workers Hut. Right or wrong in others eyes I don't care one jot. They are good guard dogs (ours aren't LOL mummies pets would maybe lick you to death). Anyone coming up our Lane we have at least 2 min warning. But never once have any of them chased or confronted any of our visitors on foot/bike/car. Have tried to keep them in the confines of our land but the howling choir soon sends me to the gate.

Back to your question why don't you go and have a word with the people who come to feed them and ask them the question?

Edited by jeab1980

Are you saying only 5-10 dogs a year ago? I doubt it....just following your logic....

Can we also apply your  "what's the point" to feeding starving people in African countries? 

They have no future, correct?

i guess you're not well versed in the story of a man was walking on the beach after a major storm among hundreds of washed up starfish....

Edited by cardinalblue

3 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Are you saying only 5-10 dogs a year ago? I doubt it....just following you logic....

can an we also apply your  "what's the point" to feeding starving people in African countries? 

Yes, I would say the population has doubled over the last couple of years. If you feed a starving person in Africa, you would also provide education, birth control etc. They would probably make there own decision not to have a baby etc. And at some point the goal would be to have them grow there own food. I dont think any aid organisation goes there with the view of feeding the population until it doubles, then doubles again etc. I like animals and I dont know what the solution is, but I cant see the point of feeding so the population keeps growing at an exponential rate. 

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Back to your question why don't you go and have a word with the people who come to feed them and ask them the question?

I have tried, but its a couple of young thai guys who just work for the organisation. I was hoping someone from one of the organisation would respond with an explanation.

2 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Get a local Vet to spade them Then you are ok 

This should be a priority

Thats sort of my question, do these dog feeding groups have that priority or is it just feeding and no thought to the increasing population

It would help where we live (Rayong) if people from Bangkok & Chonburi would stop dumping their dogs on our beach, it's sickening seeing scared dogs who have been pets having to run the gauntlet of the local soi dogs. Because of 'face' these people won't take their unwanted pets to their local temples and quite often the dumped dog is a pregnant female so we get the problem of unwanted puppies.

58 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have tried, but its a couple of young thai guys who just work for the organisation. I was hoping someone from one of the organisation would respond with an explanation.

Hardly likely on here next step ask what charity they work for and go see them.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

bit like giving food to the monks every day. gives some people a good feeling in the short term. long term thought is not a strong point in thailand.

Completely irrelevant answer this is about dogs not people or monks. Wrong thread for your agenda.

I feed 40 dogs myself everyday at a temple the key is and i've done this on my own we got them fixed and give them their shots i keep a book  when their due and they all have names. What i have learned is people see us feeding them everyday and dogs we don't know show up because people have dumped them there knowing they'll be taken care of and that makes me mad.

2 minutes ago, woofwoof said:

I feed 40 dogs myself everyday at a temple the key is and i've done this on my own we got them fixed and give them their shots i keep a book  when their due and they all have names. What i have learned is people see us feeding them everyday and dogs we don't know show up because people have dumped them there knowing they'll be taken care of and that makes me mad.

Thats excellent, well done. I can only hope my local dog feeding crews are doing the same and getting them fixed etc. I dont think so given the recent arrival of puppies.

9 minutes ago, woofwoof said:

I know exactly what you mean my girlfriend's parents had 7 dogs and they had to get rid of some of them and they said they were going to dump them at the temple I couldn't believe it when she said that...

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

Get a local Vet to spade them Then you are ok 

This should be a priority

Where I live in Bangkok, someone (I don't know who) has taken the females to vets to be spayed. They've also had the female cats in the neighborhood spayed, one of which we adopted about 5 years ago. 

Edited by gjoo888

i hate this stray dogs, barking and fighting all night,also nearly had accident because of these stupid animals,and the goverment of Pattaya does nothing, only speak about safety on the road, so what about the dogs running over the road unexpected and cause accidents,do something about is instead of write in thaivisa only.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I would say the population has doubled over the last couple of years. If you feed a starving person in Africa, you would also provide education, birth control etc. They would probably make there own decision not to have a baby etc. And at some point the goal would be to have them grow there own food. I dont think any aid organisation goes there with the view of feeding the population until it doubles, then doubles again etc. I like animals and I dont know what the solution is, but I cant see the point of feeding so the population keeps growing at an exponential rate. 

It's a dilemma that a lot of farangs consider dogs and other animals in the same category as humans  !

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Are you saying only 5-10 dogs a year ago? I doubt it....just following your logic....

Can we also apply your  "what's the point" to feeding starving people in African countries? 

i guess you're not well versed in the story of a man was walking on the beach after a major storm among hundreds of washed up starfish....

Growing populations of stray dogs are a problem. Simply feeding the dogs can only help to increase those populations.

Comparing African people to dogs is beyond my comprehension. People are not animals.

Feeding is good and compassionate (whether for dogs or people) but neutering or spaying would seem the only humane way of preventing the dogs from breeding.

Also, spaying the bitches is a far better bet than castrating the dogs because a dog can smell a bitch on heat from miles away. A dog may come some distance to mate and it's not possible to castrate all dogs that may be within mating distance.