Feeding stray dogs, what is the point ?

Peterw42

4 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think his reply should have been about the safety of the dog and people, not your reaction speed...maybe his 'love' of dogs doesnt extend further than the ones he feeds. 

its  more simple than that.............they both dislike me

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, kannot said:

Well youd  need to understand how a  wide angle dash cam changes perspective so things  look MUCH further away than they really are so to help you learn Ive  added this video........ feel free to educate yourself,here the parked car is  just 4.5  metres away.

Id  say my dead  doggy friend was about the same distance, and my speed was 50kmh..... stopping distance at that speed is 35metres

I certainly dont need any education maybe you need your eyes testing i could have stopped a bus before hitting the dog. Nothing else on the road so veering to the right was out of the question then. But maybe you didnt want to stop.

Edited by jeab1980

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I certainly dont need any education maybe you need your eyes testing i could have stopped a bus before hitting the dog. But maybe you didnt want to stop.

To be fair, the image does look like less than 35 metres. And the 35 metre stopping distance at 50km/hr seems to check out (reaction distance 21m and braking 14m). Do you think it looks more than 35 metres? If you do then the irony of the eye test comment lol

7 hours ago, humbug said:

i feed and give fresh water to any stray animal i can when out and about.

I wont stop and good for many more thais doing the same its the humane way to be a better world and civilisation.

We all live on the same planet and to respect all species is the best way.

You respect all species.

How nice of you.

Does that include mosquitoes, centipedes, cockroaches and insurance sellers?

Or do you respect only the cute species?

Do you think you are god, to decide what species can  live and which can die?

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, it is much more humane to let them starve or better, hater them up and kill them as we do in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We do that in the west?? New to me!!

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, it is much more humane to let them starve or better, hater them up and kill them as we do in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What is the solution? Feed them? Then it also comes down to a question of how humane you want to be vs how many diseases you want...Rabies programs this year were going to be cut down by the Thai government, but due to an outbreak they have been re-implemented. Not to mention the SFG, TG, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma Rickettsia that has a 30+% fatality rate if not treated. I just went and am going through 2 months of hell with Rickettsia. Or the numerous Malaria cases that have been misdiagnosed. If we feed them, these issue get worse and worse. No easy solution, but feeding them clearly isn't working. 

Edited by wildewillie89

16 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

To be fair, the image does look like less than 35 metres. And the 35 metre stopping distance at 50km/hr seems to check out (reaction distance 21m and braking 14m). Do you think it looks more than 35 metres? If you do then the irony of the eye test comment lol

To be even fairer i was answering mr Kanot like thailand. But seen as you wish to inflict or try to inflict your will on me again "whatever you say wille

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Unfortunately, that is how the West do control dog populations (other than obvious desexing rules). Places like the RSPCA are just slaughterhouses more or less. Thailand is very complex, feed them, then you are bringing serious disease closer to the human population. Even if educate Thai people and change laws to desex animals, it doesn't stop the strays and ferals already out there breeding. So people need to ask themselves,  governments kill off pests such as rabbits and generally no one batters an eye lid. In Australia, we cull kangaroos, not many people care (they are native, not pests). So seeing as these dogs are mostly in the 'feral' category now, does the hard decision need to be made to take them away. Is it just because they are a dog that it is any different from a different pest? If it was thousands of rats would we be having the same discussion? 

Edited by wildewillie89

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

To be even fairer i was answering mr Kanot like thailand. But seen as you wish to inflict or try to inflict your will on me again "whatever you say wille

That's me :). Have a reasonable, logical argument and i will not be able to 'inflict my will' lol 

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

I certainly dont need any education maybe you need your eyes testing i could have stopped a bus before hitting the dog. Nothing else on the road so veering to the right was out of the question then. But maybe you didnt want to stop.

I see you still have "no idea"

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

That's me :). Have a reasonable, logical argument and i will not be able to 'inflict my will' lol 

Neither of them can have a reasonable argument, thats why his Wife teaches children Ghosts are real with no evidence, they dont need evidence only their all encompassing wisdom....................hilarious, she  calls me "old man" too yet Im way younger than her husband..................supposedly they were ignoring me.............pity

8 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Its individual choice if someone wants like me to feed a dog i will end of story my desicion my choice. Same as those that smoke or drink or do drugs, there choice there life. Unfortunately in life its not as simple as that you make your choice then others stick there noses in and say its wrong or your wrong trying to impose there lifestyle on you/ there will on you. When you disagree with there reteric suddenly you become public enemy no 1. "How dare you not listen and put my way, my thought into action dont you know im right." Or in this case you become a dog apologists. Good debate is always welcome however whipping/beating/poisoning/shooting/annd the list goes on is not a debate its pathetic.

If  you  choose  to  feed   1  dog then  why  not  all? The reality is  that if  over a  very  short  term  you were  to  pay  to  sterilize  just  one  female you  would  prevent  the production  of  many  more   starving  stray  dogs.

The  "feel  good"act  is  usually made very visible.

The  more  subtle  and  beneficial  act  of a  visit  to a  vet  surgeon would  apparently  not  fulfill  the  human  desire !

15 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If  you  choose  to  feed   1  dog then  why  not  all? The reality is  that if  over a  very  short  term  you were  to  pay  to  sterilize  just  one  female you  would  prevent  the production  of  many  more   starving  stray  dogs.

The  more  subtle  and  beneficial  act  of a  visit  to a  vet  surgeon would  apparently  not  fulfill  the  human  desire !

Instead they "choose" the far  more  "illogical" castrating the males, but its  ok as "they" ( never  know whom I  talking to?) dont need educating

"Two are males the rest bitches so we took it upon our self's to relive the two males of there balls! Didn't cost a lot at least the bitches will be safe from pregnancy."

Edited by kannot

9 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I feed a lot more than one dog. Theres no feel good factor involved. If a begger lived on my road i would feed him or her. Would you then sugest sterilisation?. I have been feeding these dogs for two years now. Not one has become pregnant. Its called being human. Why is it people cant see passed there own noses when it comes to other peoples life choices according to the throng its my way or highway.

Your problem is as i see it is you labour under the impression its all about some wierd so called feel good factor. When in fact its human nature. 

11 minutes ago, kannot said:

Instead they "choose" the far  more  "illogical" castrating the males, but its  ok as "they" ( never  know whom I  talking to?) dont need educating

"Two are males the rest bitches so we took it upon our self's to relive the two males of there balls! Didn't cost a lot at least the bitches will be safe from pregnancy."

Mr kanot stand thailand please do carry on enlightening  me with your witty retorts  (of course i jest) I so look foward to your absolutely ludicrous remarks so much so i unblocked you.

Edited by jeab1980

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Mr kanot stand thailand please do carry on enlightening  me with your witty retorts  (of course i jest) I so look foward to your absolutely ludicrous remarks so much so i unblocked you.

But "of  course" you did, you make it too easy though,  found the  button ok this  time then?

Edited by kannot

5 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I feed a lot more than one dog. Theres no feel good factor involved. If a begger lived on my road i would feed him or her. Would you then sugest sterilisation?. I have been feeding these dogs for two years now. Not one has become pregnant. Its called being human. Why is it people cant see passed there own noses when it comes to other peoples life choices according to the throng its my way or highway.

Your problem is as i see it is you labour under the impression its all about some wierd so called feel good factor. When in fact its human nature. 

I  labour  under  no  impression . An act  of  compassion is  a  very normal act. And  often enacted  without  responsibility  as  to   cause  or  outcome. That  is  the  feel  good   limitation if  without  regard  as  to outcomes.

Other  peoples  life  choices need  be  my  responsibility  too?

They   might  have  an unwelcome  impact  on myself  in which  case  I  need  to  counter  certainly.

I am sympathetic  to  the  plight of  stray dogs. I am  not sympathetic  to  the lack  of real  action  to  end  the  problem.

Incidentally, I  can offer  you  the  adoption  of   five   healthy 6 week old male  puppies  whose soi  dog  mother died  yesterday  after  an impact  with  a  car which did  not stop. Up  to  it? Or   do  you  prefer  to leave   the  weird   idea  to  me?

15 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I  labour  under  no  impression . An act  of  compassion is  a  very normal act. And  often enacted  without  responsibility  as  to   cause  or  outcome. That  is  the  feel  good   limitation if  without  regard  as  to outcomes.

Other  peoples  life  choices need  be  my  responsibility  too?

They   might  have  an unwelcome  impact  on myself  in which  case  I  need  to  counter  certainly.

I am sympathetic  to  the  plight of  stray dogs. I am  not sympathetic  to  the lack  of real  action  to  end  the  problem.

Incidentally, I  can offer  you  the  adoption  of   five   healthy 6 week old male  puppies  whose soi  dog  mother died  yesterday  after  an impact  with  a  car which did  not stop. Up  to  it? Or   do  you  prefer  to leave   the  weird   idea  to  me?

I would not introduce males into the clan if you read back far enough oh forgot mr kanot has already re posted the bit i am refering to.

You need not concern yourself in other peoples life choices.  It in the end will only bring about heartache on your behalf. Real action as you say it will never happen that you will have to live with and deal with. My clan of unadopted but fed dogs are happy healthy imunised as required. I will continue to feed them and care as best i can for them. Incidently as a side note in way of an update two have now decided to sleep inside the house boundries but still wont come in the house.which is good as our three permanent  pouches have now taken to sleeping outside with them thus freeing up space for me to sleep on our bed. 

39 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I would not introduce males into the clan if you read back far enough oh forgot mr kanot has already re posted the bit i am refering to.

You need not concern yourself in other peoples life choices.  It in the end will only bring about heartache on your behalf. Real action as you say it will never happen that you will have to live with and deal with. My clan of unadopted but fed dogs are happy healthy imunised as required. I will continue to feed them and care as best i can for them. Incidently as a side note in way of an update two have now decided to sleep inside the house boundries but still wont come in the house.which is good as our three permanent  pouches have now taken to sleeping outside with them thus freeing up space for me to sleep on our bed. 

Congratulations  on  regaining   your   bedding. Sleep  deprivation  is   best  avoided. It  can  quickly  lead  to  errrors of  thinking.

Well, I guess I can't speak to the entire west, but in the US stray dogs are gathered up and killed after a few days.

There are a few shelters, but for the most part they are killed.

8 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Congratulations  on  regaining   your   bedding. Sleep  deprivation  is   best  avoided. It  can  quickly  lead  to  errrors of  thinking.

Just proves points of my post. Thank you

There are millions of stray dogs here. A huge cull is required to solve the problem. However public authorities will not provide funds for this. My family and I love going for walks in places like Kanchanaburi, Pranburi,, Chiang Mai. etc. Often we can't walk down many streets due to packs of dogs. It's one of the things that I hate most in this wonderful country. 

There must be hundreds of thousands of humans bitten by dogs here every year. People who feed or take care o street dogs are exacerbating the problem. The dogs need to be culled if not claimed by owners...

There are millions of stray dogs here. A huge cull is required to solve the problem. However public authorities will not provide funds for this. My family and I love going for walks in places like Kanchanaburi, Pranburi,, Chiang Mai. etc. Often we can't walk down many streets due to packs of dogs. It's one of the things that I hate most in this wonderful country. 

There must be hundreds of thousands of humans bitten by dogs here every year. People who feed or take care o street dogs are exacerbating the problem. The dogs need to be culled if not claimed by owners...

Yes, the only humane thing to do to save all the hungry, suffering dogs is to kill them.

There would be a good few humans I'd cull before any dogs. I always find it funny when the walking and biking ferternaty come out. I walk lots and now bike a lot only once now has a dog chased me and that was only on the bike for a 100yds or so. Never been snarled at or chased whilst walking. Awaiting the miriad of well your lucky posts.

Question to the dog feeders...

What is your solution?

We have heard of many of you how much you love dogs and get on with them better than other human beings.  We have heard that you think feeding every stray dog you come across is what you want to do... and what others should all do...

But, we have not heard what you think is the best way to get rid of the stay dog problem?  Or are you really happy to keep the suffering, mangy, diseases ridden, injured, aggressive and dirty dog population growing and growing until we can't move in the streets for them piled up to our necks? 

Edited by jak2002003

Question to the dog feeders...

What is your solution?

"Live and let live"

I don't care much about stray dogs, I don't want to feed them, I would rather they weren't there, but I don't want to kill them, nor do I want to interfere with people that do want to feed them.

The dogs don't bother me. They don't chase me, they don't snarl at me and they don't bite me. I do not have a problem with the dogs, so see no need for a solution.

Hey, maybe the dogs can sense which individuals hate and want to kill them and those are the people they chase and bite.

Just a few years ago there was a truck that came around and picked up unwanted dogs. I called it the bucket truck because everyone who brought them a stray dog was given a plastic bucket. These dogs were taken to Laos and sold for food. That is certainly not a great solution but it is better than having the local farmers poisoning and/or beating these dog to death. THEN, a group of do gooder farangs decided that these trucks should be illegal and lobbied the government. Now there are no bucket trucks and the dog population is out of control. The dogs are starving and take to killing chickens and ducks to eat. Those dogs are promptly killed by whatever method the locals can find. 

The do gooder farangs thought they had scored a great victory. They rescued more than five thousand of these dogs. The big problem was that they gave no thought to the fact that these dogs had to eat and be cared for. Apparently the dogs all starved to death while locked in a huge pen. Some of the locals feed these unwanted dogs to protect their chickens and ducks.

If the do gooders want to do something helpful, they should set up sterilization clinics. BUT, ohhh that would cost them money. Can't have that.