Feeding stray dogs, what is the point ?

Peterw42

12 hours ago, edwardflory said:

A quick addition:

After I was gone for 6 months, I came back to the soi ad was greeted by her, jumping up and down, tail wagging at jet speed, barking, and the only time she ever jumped on me.  My landlord told me she guarded my old room for about 2 weeks and she had to explain to people looking at the room why she ( soi dog ) ran to the room when she showed the room to other people.

Maybe the soi dog wanted food?   

>>> "a dog is a man's best friend, and a man is his boss 's best friend."<<<

Both for the same reason.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/4/2017 at 10:42 PM, buddhalady said:

I've five rescued soi dogs, all from a local dog shelter - they are my best friends, in fact they are my only friends. Give me Thai dogs any day over the poor quality of expats here. With the dogs, I know I'm loved, I get welcomed home when I go out and if I'm feeling unhappy all five do their furry best to comfort me.

They don't drink themselves stupid, they're not misogynists or abusers, they don't think Trump's the answer to the mess the world's in or lie about their activities when I'm not around. Perfect!

Good for you but

Any dog anywhere wants to be fed,

I can stick food under the nastiest most aggressive dog a few times and it will be my bestest friend.

15 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Soi dogs can be very smart and a friend.  When I moved here, I lived on a really small soi in a room that faced the yard with my own entrance - 1 step and smal concrete area.  l became friends with a female soi dog who ended up being a self appointed guard dog for me at night. She would plant herself at the foot of my steps around 9PM to sleep, and if anyone came close to my entrance, she woruld  give a 1 bark warning, exception being someone that she knew visited me.  If I left the soi in daytime she would walk me to the end of the soi, when I came back would come greet me. If I went to the 7-11 late night, she would go with me.

Good reason to feed a soi dog

thats not a soi dog that was your dog, that you then apparently abandoned.

that says what?

This stray dogs problem in Thailand reflects on a misguided generation of Buddhists. A good buddhist should know that stray dogs are suffering, they don't get proper nutrition, they are full of ticks and they experience no proper care or love.

A good Buddhist will do what they can to prevent these sufferings of the stray dogs because one of the main and important teaching of Buddhism is Awareness of Suffering in this world.

A good Thai Buddhist will not dispose his aged dog on the street to die, he will also spray the dog at the veterinary and pay for it. If you have no money do not own a pet dog because keeping pet dogs with proper care cost money. If you believe in the teachings of Buddha you will not cause suffering by keeping pet dogs when you cannot afford to give them proper care, this should be drum into the head of all Thai people.

It would be a National Shame for the Thai people that someone from a non-buddhist country could see this problem so clearly and the Thai buddhists themselves merrily going around ignorant of all the sufferings they are causing to these animals.

If you are Thai reading what I wrote you should inform your government that this not so much a problem of Stray Dogs it is a problem of their ignorance of Buddhist's teaching that bring sufferings to these Stray Dogs. It is the Thai people who creates the suffering and you call yourself a Buddhist country when you contravene the most important teaching  of Buddha, to prevent suffering to all living beings.

"Ignorance is the cause of all sufferings".

23 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Soi dogs can be very smart and a friend.  When I moved here, I lived on a really small soi in a room that faced the yard with my own entrance - 1 step and smal concrete area.  l became friends with a female soi dog who ended up being a self appointed guard dog for me at night. She would plant herself at the foot of my steps around 9PM to sleep, and if anyone came close to my entrance, she woruld  give a 1 bark warning, exception being someone that she knew visited me.  If I left the soi in daytime she would walk me to the end of the soi, when I came back would come greet me. If I went to the 7-11 late night, she would go with me.

Good reason to feed a soi dog

I have adopted numerous cats and dogs that wondered in off the street. The first thing we did is bring them to the doctor for medical care and to prevent them from having babies. Without exception, they became faithful and loving companions. I do not understand why anyone would prefer that strays starve to death instead of being provided with food. Usually they are in that situation because of an irresponsible human being. 

On 24/04/2017 at 7:38 PM, thailand49 said:

They all want them when they are puppies nice a cute, when they grow up and start shitting all over the place it is let them out and disowned them. These feeders do it to feel better about themselves thinking it makes up for all their wrong during the day. How I got that opinion from my neighbors all screw up, drink, beat their women, steal, cheat etc. of course just generalizing then they throw their leftover in the empty lot for the Soi dogs to eat. Go back home and do the same stuff all over again.

Rather alike the West then. Only in The West, they're locked up in small single boxes if or until someone comes to adopt them. If they're not re-homed within a short period of time, these healthy cats and dogs are euthanized. 27,000 healthy cats and dogs killed in just one year in just one county in the US last year. 

I've taken in dogs and cats after having had them tested, spayed and vaccinated. The last one, a cat, turned out to have FLV and the vet wouldn't destroy it as it was otherwise strong and healthy, but I couldn't take it home as it could have endangered resident cat. So she let it out near her clinic and feeds it. Better than sticking it in some kennel or ending it's life. And no, I most certainly do not 'feel good about myself' for taking care of any fellow creature turning up and needing my help. I have empathy. You should grow some.

You have to feel for these poor things, they aren't born by choice and have no homes. 

In mainland China there is the Yulin Dog festival which is in global news which should be shut down but That's China is not going to happen. Basically they round up strays and kidnap pets and butcher them for the festival as the Chinese ( not all) believe dog meat gives you strength. It's truly horrific and the images of trucks full of dogs as well as the practice of boiling the dog alive can't watch or look at stuff like that.

There are many animal rights groups trying to stop this and they need donations and the dogs they save require medical etc, I'm a supporter but only so much you can do.

19 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

Rather alike the West then. Only in The West, they're locked up in small single boxes if or until someone comes to adopt them. If they're not re-homed within a short period of time, these healthy cats and dogs are euthanized. 27,000 healthy cats and dogs killed in just one year in just one county in the US last year. 

I've taken in dogs and cats after having had them tested, spayed and vaccinated. The last one, a cat, turned out to have FLV and the vet wouldn't destroy it as it was otherwise strong and healthy, but I couldn't take it home as it could have endangered resident cat. So she let it out near her clinic and feeds it. Better than sticking it in some kennel or ending it's life. And no, I most certainly do not 'feel good about myself' for taking care of any fellow creature turning up and needing my help. I have empathy. You should grow some.

Grow up! I think you need to get a dose of reality!  Sure in the U.S they might put them in a box, but we all now they most are regulate, taken care of and feed. Now since you are such a lover of animals why don't you do more and adopt ALL OF THEM! what is holding you back?  Haven't you grown up enough to take care of all the homeless animals in the world. Maybe you just don't have enough Empathy as you think!

Now in Thailand, especially in the Chon Buri, area, I currently have six cats, four of them babies, and two dogs. Each morning I pick up shit in front of my house something that is unbelievable to the Thais, and I can tell you I'm not a animal lover like you nor am I showing off to them. Whatever food I plan to throw away I feed late at night in the empty lot to the stray dogs, once owned by my Thai neighbors. These dogs as far as I'm concern be better off dead or put to sleep, they are all ripped apart from fighting or look diseased his/her skin is something I don't even see in Star War.  You talk about empathy, I joke at times I want to get a large commercial vehicle go through town late at night and gather them up, take them to Vietnam where they pay you a nice 2,000-4000 baht for each, and take the money back to Thailand to help the others. Sometime things might be cruel feeding them when they are in that poor shape but maybe a good guy like you that have some much empathy and grown up do it for all of us. Talk is cheap, buddy, wake up and face reality! 

33 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

You have to feel for these poor things, they aren't born by choice and have no homes. 

In mainland China there is the Yulin Dog festival which is in global news which should be shut down but That's China is not going to happen. Basically they round up strays and kidnap pets and butcher them for the festival as the Chinese ( not all) believe dog meat gives you strength. It's truly horrific and the images of trucks full of dogs as well as the practice of boiling the dog alive can't watch or look at stuff like that.

There are many animal rights groups trying to stop this and they need donations and the dogs they save require medical etc, I'm a supporter but only so much you can do.

A few years ago some of these dogs were rescued and found to be full of parvo virus so would anyone want to eat diseased meat anyway?.

Edited by sandrabbit

On 4/26/2017 at 6:59 AM, Ulysses G. said:

I have adopted numerous cats and dogs that wondered in off the street. The first thing we did is bring them to the doctor for medical care and to prevent them from having babies. Without exception, they became faithful and loving companions. I do not understand why anyone would prefer that strays starve to death instead of being provided with food. Usually they are in that situation because of an irresponsible human being. 

My sister in law is a bit the same, we now have 8 dogs and about 40 cats. The neighbours now bring their unwanted kittens to us.

There are 2 separate issues here, people that feed dogs do so as an act of humanity and cannot be held responsible for dog control, that is a local authority issue.

Unfortunately the government has had its fingers burnt on this issue and has suffered from bad press.

Dame Judi Dench, Ricky Gervais and Downton Abbey actors have joined forces to campaign against the illegal dog meat trade in Thailand.

In a video for charity the Soi Dog Foundation, they speak over distressing footage of dogs being trapped and crammed into dirty cages, then being left to starve for days before eventually being killed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-and-dame-judi-dench-back-campaign-to-stop-thailand-dog-meat-trade-9818198.html

6 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Grow up! I think you need to get a dose of reality!  Sure in the U.S they might put them in a box, but we all now they most are regulate, taken care of and feed. Now since you are such a lover of animals why don't you do more and adopt ALL OF THEM! what is holding you back?  Haven't you grown up enough to take care of all the homeless animals in the world. Maybe you just don't have enough Empathy as you think!

Now in Thailand, especially in the Chon Buri, area, I currently have six cats, four of them babies, and two dogs. Each morning I pick up shit in front of my house something that is unbelievable to the Thais, and I can tell you I'm not a animal lover like you nor am I showing off to them. Whatever food I plan to throw away I feed late at night in the empty lot to the stray dogs, once owned by my Thai neighbors. These dogs as far as I'm concern be better off dead or put to sleep, they are all ripped apart from fighting or look diseased his/her skin is something I don't even see in Star War.  You talk about empathy, I joke at times I want to get a large commercial vehicle go through town late at night and gather them up, take them to Vietnam where they pay you a nice 2,000-4000 baht for each, and take the money back to Thailand to help the others. Sometime things might be cruel feeding them when they are in that poor shape but maybe a good guy like you that have some much empathy and grown up do it for all of us. Talk is cheap, buddy, wake up and face reality! 

I know I will suffer  flack  but I agree  with your overall sentiment.

Here we  also  have  cats and  dogs  in  the  household. We  also  feed a couple  of strays  across  the road.

But  to  feed  the   multitude  of  starving  dogs that come  to  test their  luck  would  invite  bankruptcy !

The  number of  "soi"  dogs  has  decreased locally  but  the  number  of   claimed  but  unfed  has increased !

At moments  of despair  I  often think  too  many Thai adopt  an  attitude to  having  children, dogs, cats   chickens,cows,buffalo, etc is   rolled into " All  care  but  no responsibility ! " 

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I know I will suffer  flack  but I agree  with your overall sentiment.

Here we  also  have  cats and  dogs  in  the  household. We  also  feed a couple  of strays  across  the road.

But  to  feed  the   multitude  of  starving  dogs that come  to  test their  luck  would  invite  bankruptcy !

The  number of  "soi"  dogs  has  decreased locally  but  the  number  of   claimed  but  unfed  has increased !

At moments  of despair  I  often think  too  many Thai adopt  an  attitude to  having  children, dogs, cats   chickens,cows,buffalo, etc is   rolled into " All  care  but  no responsibility ! " 

I don't like to talk about Thais in this manner, someone always comes and say it is Bashing, but when you see it day in day out it is tough to remain silent especially when you have something at stake here like raising a son.  The thinking is so embedded into their teaching and culture that they don't even know it.

Funny, I keep it to myself but my thinking is the same, they want to reproduce but really have no idea the responsibility it takes. I lived with 99.9 Thais, in a village and I've seen it for over 10 years, and have a million stories as to how they think and act.

The government leaders have no idea so what they do is talk about a problem and that is where it ends. When I first came to my village there were like 5 dogs today in the 5 or 6 Soi surrounding my home there are at least 50, roaming around and it seems the problem is getting worse?

The 'feeders 'might get some small warm fuzzy feeling out of their gestures  of kindness to starving dogs, but as some have noted here it doesn't take long for inconsiderate, irresponsible people to realise they can dump unwanted pets in the same area (far from home and out of sight - they know they're doing wrong) and that some  do-gooders will take on what should be  their burden. No shame. However, I don't think the do-gooders are actually doing much good if they don't do the job properly and take on full responsibility for  animals they encourage to roam their neighbourhood. Many people don't want to share their community space with feral, diseased, parasite infested unclean animals whose habits show they have not been trained to share open spaces with people.. Their presence in numbers can be intimidation enough;.  Neighbours  might come to view the do-gooders more as interfering busybodies than kindly individuals. Not a good basis for promoting a sense of happy community relations.

Caring or kindness to stray dogs is not just providing occasional food. These abandoned animals deserve permanent shelter, enclosed open space for their own security as well as for people in the local community (and their own well-loved and controlled pets), appropriate supervision and access to proper health and medical care.   Kindness is an admirable trait but it can not be half-hearted , or applied in ways that create problems for others  - it can be too easily misunderstood.

What do the neighbours do when their child is attacked or savaged  by what has eventually grown to become a half-wild pack of strays created out of what was intended as a kindness? The pack has, after all, been taught the local area is their exclusive feeding/hunting ground and instinctively protect themselves and ''their'' territory. It might be easy to give strays a name and, because you're feeding them, imagine they're full of sunshine and friendliness towards all  local people 24/7.  However, telling a father whose little girl has ended up with hundreds of stitches on ghastly wounds  that the dogs you encouraged out of pity into the area,  that you'd never seen them exhibit any hunting pack mentality (savagery) before  isn't going to ameliorate the fury of parents or the suffering of the child.Where will the do-gooders be when the parents have to pay medical bills and believe their child is entitled- rightly - to compensation? 

34 minutes ago, sandemara said:

The 'feeders 'might get some small warm fuzzy feeling out of their gestures  of kindness to starving dogs, but as some have noted here it doesn't take long for inconsiderate, irresponsible people to realise they can dump unwanted pets in the same area (far from home and out of sight - they know they're doing wrong) and that some  do-gooders will take on what should be  their burden. No shame. However, I don't think the do-gooders are actually doing much good if they don't do the job properly and take on full responsibility for  animals they encourage to roam their neighbourhood. Many people don't want to share their community space with feral, diseased, parasite infested unclean animals whose habits show they have not been trained to share open spaces with people.. Their presence in numbers can be intimidation enough;.  Neighbours  might come to view the do-gooders more as interfering busybodies than kindly individuals. Not a good basis for promoting a sense of happy community relations.

Caring or kindness to stray dogs is not just providing occasional food. These abandoned animals deserve permanent shelter, enclosed open space for their own security as well as for people in the local community (and their own well-loved and controlled pets), appropriate supervision and access to proper health and medical care.   Kindness is an admirable trait but it can not be half-hearted , or applied in ways that create problems for others  - it can be too easily misunderstood.

What do the neighbours do when their child is attacked or savaged  by what has eventually grown to become a half-wild pack of strays created out of what was intended as a kindness? The pack has, after all, been taught the local area is their exclusive feeding/hunting ground and instinctively protect themselves and ''their'' territory. It might be easy to give strays a name and, because you're feeding them, imagine they're full of sunshine and friendliness towards all  local people 24/7.  However, telling a father whose little girl has ended up with hundreds of stitches on ghastly wounds  that the dogs you encouraged out of pity into the area,  that you'd never seen them exhibit any hunting pack mentality (savagery) before  isn't going to ameliorate the fury of parents or the suffering of the child.Where will the do-gooders be when the parents have to pay medical bills and believe their child is entitled- rightly - to compensation? 

Good post, here at our local beach in Rayong  Bangkok & Chonburi number plates dump their dogs and to see how terrified these dumped dogs are is heartbreaking. They also dump pregnant bitches so it becomes our problem as well. I walk our dogs on the beach and have to scare off the feral territorial dogs and I would just shoot them on sight if I could.  I, and my dogs would get a lot more exercise if we didn't have to run the gauntlet of the never ending story of these dogs. I know if I did something it would give the Thais a reason/excuse to assault  me but you should see Thai people deliberately trying to run them over, why do you think the feral dogs chase cars?. I have a friend who's life has been taken over now by looking after animals and they need to get their life back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I struggle to see the point. It is a tough situation as their is no regulations on desexing or registering the dogs (then puppies are dumped, become strays etc etc). Also many Thai don't bother closing their gates so it is hard to tell whether a dog is a stray or not (condition is poor is both stray/non-stray). Then you have the added complexity of government offices, temples, etc having dogs on the premises also. Obviously, all of these things blow out of proportion when a bitch is in heat, or in summer months when dogs are more frustrated and more likely to bite (whether fed or not due to their upbringing). Also add in the fact the dogs formative years consisted of fear, fight for your life, type environments so the dogs are incredibly fearful, which can translate into aggression. Walk towards a Thai dog and nothing will happen, but as soon as your back is turned it will try and have a go.

Feeding? I guess it is morally right to do so in a way, but in the overall picture of things does it help the situation? A dog may starve, but it will not bring more dogs into the neighborhood to get their daily feed. The temple in the village rings a bell each day and that is when tens of dogs I didn't even know lived in the village will come running for all the extra rice the monks don't eat. Naturally, most dogs have some deformity in their limbs due to their poor diet. It is an incredibly dangerous time for children who play sport across the road. Not to mention how dangerous it is for the dogs. 

We must also discuss serious diseases that can be transmitted to other dogs and humans. Rabies being the obvious one (which, is of particular concern this year), but also tick diseases that are in Thailand such as Rickketsia (Spotted Fever Group, Scrub Thypus, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma), Babesiosis, Bartonella, Burnetti etc, Thai and Australian doctors also believe Lyme is here. Mahidol University believe that many Malaria cases are actually Babesiosis from ticks. Then you have your obvious dog diseases that many people fail to vaccinate against. Also your dog related traffic accidents and bites.

I get the moral argument, and I get it is heartbreaking to watch, but are people really helping them by feeding them (usually low quality food). Generally, the only tick/flea stuff that works in Thailand is Bravecto (750 baht), so if you are feeding dogs and not treating them, then you are kind of asking for a disease. In some villages around Thailand up to 24% of dogs are infected with tick-borne diseases (also France did a study that found 45% of ticks are co-infected with up to 5 pathogens so it is not unlikely that Thai ticks are also co-infected). What is the perfect environment for tick diseases? Communities with many stray animals. 

Sure, people feel nice looking after the odd dog, They can post a picture of it on Facebook and look like the people who go to Africa to feed the kids for a week, but it is making a bigger problem I think. What if the people can no longer feed/treat the dogs, the community is just left with packs of strays. Does the person just say, it is not my problem anymore as I have left the community? As it is now you cannot walk your own dog down the road without a group of 6 dogs running up to you several times wherever you are on a simple walk. If I go for a walk, I have to sit my dog in the middle of the temple entrance, whilst my wife pushes the pram past. 20 odd dogs in the temple are barking out of fear at my dog. My dog just sits, and we continue as the wife has safely passed. If the temple didn't feed the strays, it would be a much safer environment for all. 

Finally, to rehabilitate dogs from the trauma they experienced in their first 3-4 months of life takes some serious time. Time and effort 99.9% people do not want to do. Not to mention the personalities or most probably abandonment by the mother, that their parents had. Unless that effort is made, it is difficult to get dogs to a point where they are not fearful of anything, so they will not bite out of fear. It is why organisations will not re-home 'soi' dogs to young families. It is also why most 'feel good' people chuck the food down and then leave, as they know the risks themselves.

Edited by wildewillie89

i feed and give fresh water to any stray animal i can when out and about.

I wont stop and good for many more thais doing the same its the humane way to be a better world and civilisation.

We all live on the same planet and to respect all species is the best way.

24 minutes ago, humbug said:

I wont stop and good for many more thais doing the same its the humane way to be a better world and civilisation.

By definition surely if stray dogs breed then the pups become feral dogs,  isn't the animal then becoming reliant on you? Probably the reason some dogs are more fearful than others. Some have been abandoned, so are strays (less fearful), others have gone through generations of not having homes so are feral (more fearful). 

Isn't this the very reason why government departments tell you not to feed animals in places like national parks etc. If the animal becomes reliant, they lose the knowledge/will to find their own food. Not to mention, if they have reached 'feral' status, there is more potential for fear aggression and attack? Why governments tell you not to go near or touch dogs in Thailand.

Being 'humane' and being an unintentional disservice to the dog is a very fine line that I think many don't understand. .

Edited by wildewillie89

Feeding the dogs will lead to increased population of dogs... due to more puppies being born and surviving into adulthood... and then they also reproducing.... so more people come to feed more food... etc.. and the problem will increase.

The solutions is easy and clear.. and I can't understand why its not done.

Simply spay and neuter all the dogs found on the streets.  This would be the end of the problem.. people can still feed them and care for them... no more puppies and the dogs will die out eventually due to age.

People can't say money is the issue.  Temples are overflowing with money in most places.. and the people who spend money on dog food and feeding the dogs used that money to get them 'fixed' then that would save money in the long term.

Its irresponsible, selfish and lazy of people to simply drive around dumping food on the street for dogs.. then going home with a glowing feeling of doing good.. while the poor dogs are living miserable disease ridden and dangerous lives on the streets.  These people don't really love the dogs at all.. they love themselves!!! 

Its individual choice if someone wants like me to feed a dog i will end of story my desicion my choice. Same as those that smoke or drink or do drugs, there choice there life. Unfortunately in life its not as simple as that you make your choice then others stick there noses in and say its wrong or your wrong trying to impose there lifestyle on you/ there will on you. When you disagree with there reteric suddenly you become public enemy no 1. "How dare you not listen and put my way, my thought into action dont you know im right." Or in this case you become a dog apologists. Good debate is always welcome however whipping/beating/poisoning/shooting/annd the list goes on is not a debate its pathetic.

Edited by jeab1980

45 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Its individual choice if someone wants like me to feed a dog i will end of story my desicion my choice. Same as those that smoke or drink or do drugs, there choice there life. Unfortunately in life its not as simple as that you make your choice then others stick there noses in and say its wrong or your wrong trying to impose there lifestyle on you/ there will on you. When you disagree with there reteric suddenly you become public enemy no 1. "How dare you not listen and put my way, my thought into action dont you know im right." Or in this case you become a dog apologists. Good debate is always welcome however whipping/beating/poisoning/shooting/annd the list goes on is not a debate its pathetic.

If youre  going to feed it you need to take  full responsibility for it which means  not  letting it run wild on a public  road,this is when "choice" becomes a problem for someone else.............mowed one down the other day which ran into the road chasing a bird, dogs roaming free  are an accident waiting to happen, thankfully i was in the pick up not on my bike.

Bird circled.......bird was ok

dog.jpg

2 hours ago, humbug said:

And  lets  say your fed  dog, which is wandering free no doubt, runs into the road knocks off someone on a motorbike and kills  them?

Edited by kannot

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

I think it used to be an individual choice. Now, not so much. Smoking and drinking included. If someone smokes or drinks to a point where they become a burden on a tax funded medical system, then that is not just affecting their life, it is having a detrimental outcome on everyone's lives. One reason many countries are looking to increase taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. The same with dogs, especially in Thailand. As soon as feeding 'stray' or 'feral' dogs becomes a potential danger to others (whether it be human or native animals), then it becomes a problem. The exact reason you cannot feed 'stray' or 'feral' animals in developed countries. 

Sure, if you live in whoop whoop, and there are no other humans/native animals around, only a couple of strays on your farm and you can afford to take them in, I can understand. But that is seriously whoop whoop, and it is incredibly risky, but I could understand. But in populated areas, it is dangerous and doing a disservice to the dogs. What happens to dogs that end up causing accidents or biting people in summer due to their upbringings? Maybe 'farang' do not see this, but Thai put them in a sack, drive as far away so the dog doesn't know where it is, and dump them in a new village - only for it all to start over (I would say that is more cruel than not feeding them).

55 minutes ago, kannot said:

If youre  going to feed it you need to take  full responsibility for it which means  not  letting it run wild on a public  road,this is when "choice" becomes a problem for someone else.............mowed one down the other day which ran into the road chasing a bird, dogs roaming free  are an accident waiting to happen, thankfully i was in the pick up not on my bike.

Bird circled.......bird was ok

dog.jpg

Christ your reactions must be slow.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Christ your reactions must be slow.

Well youd  need to understand how a  wide angle dash cam changes perspective so things  look MUCH further away than they really are so to help you learn Ive  added this video........ feel free to educate yourself,here the parked car is  just 4.5  metres away.

Id  say my dead  doggy friend was about the same distance, and my speed was 50kmh..... stopping distance at that speed is 35metres

Edited by kannot

21 minutes ago, kannot said:

Well youd  need to understand how a  wide angle dash cam changes perspective so things  look MUCH further away than they really are so to help you learn Ive  added this video........ feel free to educate yourself,here the parked car is  just 4.5  metres away.

Id  say my dead  doggy friend was about the same distance, and my speed was 50kmh..... stopping distance at that speed is 35metres

I think his reply should have been about the safety of the dog and people, not your reaction speed...maybe his 'love' of dogs doesnt extend further than the ones he feeds.