Feeding stray dogs, what is the point ?

Peterw42

11 minutes ago, mogandave said:

"Live and let live"

I don't care much about stray dogs, I don't want to feed them, I would rather they weren't there, but I don't want to kill them, nor do I want to interfere with people that do want to feed them.

The dogs don't bother me. They don't chase me, they don't snarl at me and they don't bite me. I do not have a problem with the dogs, so see no need for a solution.

Hey, maybe the dogs can sense which individuals hate and want to kill them and those are the people they chase and bite.

So you see no problem with things such as rabies (which had a big outbreak this year)? You don't care if others die, as long as the issue doesn't bother you?

Could't have been a more selfish response if you tried, just to get out of giving a reasonable solution ...also no one hates the dogs in this thread, they dislike the people that put the dogs in the situation and have left them with not many options.

What about the thousands of people who are bothered by them (due to people feeding them), if you can focus on people (locals mostly) other than yourself just for a second. People who cannot even take their children or dogs for a walk without being harassed. I have been bitten by a dog, my dog also has been bitten by a couple of dogs on walks (whilst young). My young cousins have been bitten, it is hard to find a Thai person who hasn't been bitten actually. The reason why, what is it, 80% of rabies victims are children - as children like to play outside and don't report if bitten. 

One of the dogs that took a chunk out of me has bitten so many people it was put in a sack and dumped in another village...(I had no control over it, the community was just sick and tired of it biting people). I have also been diagnosed with Rickettsia (tick disease from dogs), as have various other members of the community. Tick diseases are not uncommon like people think, up to 24% of dogs that drift into villages (usually for food) have it. Yes, if people spend most of their time in their land, or in a car, they will have no experiences with dogs. But that is a pretty restrictive lifestyle. I wonder why you even bothered on the thread if, one, do not care about the problem, and two, cannot offer any sort of input. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

So you see no problem with things such as rabies (which had a big outbreak this year)? You don't care if others die, as long as the issue doesn't bother you?

Could't have been a more selfish response if you tried, just to get out of giving a reasonable solution ...also no one hates the dogs in this thread, they dislike the people that put the dogs in the situation and have left them with not many options.

What about the thousands of people who are bothered by them (due to people feeding them), if you can focus on people (locals mostly) other than yourself just for a second. People who cannot even take their children or dogs for a walk without being harassed. I have been bitten by a dog, my dog also has been bitten by a couple of dogs on walks (whilst young). My young cousins have been bitten, it is hard to find a Thai person who hasn't been bitten actually. The reason why, what is it, 80% of rabies victims are children - as children like to play outside and don't report if bitten. 

One of the dogs that took a chunk out of me has bitten so many people it was put in a sack and dumped in another village...(I had no control over it, the community was just sick and tired of it biting people). I have also been diagnosed with Rickettsia (tick disease from dogs), as have various other members of the community. Tick diseases are not uncommon like people think, up to 24% of dogs that drift into villages (usually for food) have it. Yes, if people spend most of their time in their land, or in a car, they will have no experiences with dogs. But that is a pretty restrictive lifestyle. I wonder why you even bothered on the thread if, one, do not care about the problem, and two, cannot offer any sort of input. 

Thats life you must be around dogs alot for all that to happen to you. You must have caught your Rickettsia from your dog i can recomend a good anri tick and flea shampoo. People who feed dogs have put plenty of imput into this thread you and many others choice to ignore then. Applying your own final solution! Funny didnt a guy in the 30/40's try that.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

There would be a good few humans I'd cull before any dogs. I always find it funny when the walking and biking ferternaty come out. I walk lots and now bike a lot only once now has a dog chased me and that was only on the bike for a 100yds or so. Never been snarled at or chased whilst walking. Awaiting the miriad of well your lucky posts.

If it was just me I would be fine but sometime I'd like to go for a nice walk with my wife and son without being chased down the road by a pack of savage dogs.

I know at least five people who have been bitten by dogs. You obviously are the lucky one...

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, the only humane thing to do to save all the hungry, suffering dogs is to kill them.

Who cares about being humane? Is it humane to allow these packs of dogs harass and bite people? I know at least five people who have being attacked and bitten by dogs. I , myself, have almost being bitten on numerous occasions in many different locations from Kanchanaburi to Hua Hin.... They are just animals and are living miserable lives on the streets anyway. So a cull is needed.  It's about making the streets safer for people..

As this is Thailand I realise there is no chance of anything being done. 

37 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Thats life you must be around dogs alot for all that to happen to you. You must have caught your Rickettsia from your dog i can recomend a good anri tick and flea shampoo. People who feed dogs have put plenty of imput into this thread you and many others choice to ignore then. Applying your own final solution! Funny didnt a guy in the 30/40's try that.

Clearly you do not understand how you can get tick diseases (whether from the actual tick biting you, or the dog biting you, from a simple walk down a track). Generally in Thailand, from feral/stray dogs, that then get passed onto un-treated dogs in the community (hence why up to a quarter of dogs in a village can be infected).

My dogs blood is tested every 6 months (local vet can test Rickettsia/Lyme, we send to Bkk for Babesia) and receives Bravecto every 3 months. According to the vet it is the healthiest dog in the city (due to it mainly getting a half decent diet/immune system/not allowed to roam the streets). I wash my dog once a year, it is a guardian dog, its coat  is designed to repel parasites, so if you wash it too often is has the opposite effect.  

If it is happening to many Thai people, who usually have the mindset to kick dogs away, then I think it is pretty clear you do not have to be around dogs for these things to happen. Just look at how many people have been bitten by dogs just riding motorcycles for example. 

Edited by wildewillie89

13 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I feed a lot more than one dog. Theres no feel good factor involved. If a begger lived on my road i would feed him or her. Would you then sugest sterilisation?. I have been feeding these dogs for two years now. Not one has become pregnant. Its called being human. Why is it people cant see passed there own noses when it comes to other peoples life choices according to the throng its my way or highway.

Your problem is as i see it is you labour under the impression its all about some wierd so called feel good factor. When in fact its human nature. 

If you do something that doesn't affect someone that's up to you. But by feeding these animals you are exacerbating the problem. They need to be culled and removed from the streets. It will never happen though as this is Thailand and it's also against Buddhist principles. 

Buddhist principles are quickly put aside when a dog is killing their chickens. Dogs biting people is not that much of a concern. Killing their chickens is a HUGE concern.

‘The more I see of people, the more I prefer my dogs’

The more I read about TVF posters praising the dog meat trucks the more I wish they would be reborn as stray dogs in Thailand. One of my five dogs was rescued from one of those trucks from hell by a very brave lady who headed up a charity devoted to sterilisation and neutering as a solution for dogs with no homes. When she died, I adopted this dog – she is now between 15 and 17 years old and has been one of the most wonderful dogs I have ever owned. Right now, she’s in the final stages of kidney failure, but still enjoys her life giving and receiving love.

If her late owner hadn’t rescued her, she would have been skinned alive so that unspeakable humans could indulge their sick preferences for dog meat. Dogs have been human companions and protectors for millennia – they deserve our help, not our cruelty.

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

Clearly you do not understand how you can get tick diseases (whether from the actual tick biting you, or the dog biting you, from a simple walk down a track). Generally in Thailand, from feral/stray dogs, that then get passed onto un-treated dogs in the community (hence why up to a quarter of dogs in a village can be infected).

My dogs blood is tested every 6 months (local vet can test Rickettsia/Lyme, we send to Bkk for Babesia) and receives Bravecto every 3 months. According to the vet it is the healthiest dog in the city (due to it mainly getting a half decent diet/immune system/not allowed to roam the streets). I wash my dog once a year, it is a guardian dog, its coat  is designed to repel parasites, so if you wash it too often is has the opposite effect.  

If it is happening to many Thai people, who usually have the mindset to kick dogs away, then I think it is pretty clear you do not have to be around dogs for these things to happen. Just look at how many people have been bitten by dogs just riding motorcycles for example. 

Cheers made me laugh thanks. Ps i understand  fully now !!! 

23 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Cheers made me laugh thanks. Ps i understand  fully now !!! 

What was the funny part? People living in Thailand contracting diseases? Or the fact I check my dogs blood? I am no world class comedian, but neither of those things I find particularly funny. 

3 hours ago, buddhalady said:

‘The more I see of people, the more I prefer my dogs’

The more I read about TVF posters praising the dog meat trucks the more I wish they would be reborn as stray dogs in Thailand. One of my five dogs was rescued from one of those trucks from hell by a very brave lady who headed up a charity devoted to sterilisation and neutering as a solution for dogs with no homes. When she died, I adopted this dog – she is now between 15 and 17 years old and has been one of the most wonderful dogs I have ever owned. Right now, she’s in the final stages of kidney failure, but still enjoys her life giving and receiving love.

If her late owner hadn’t rescued her, she would have been skinned alive so that unspeakable humans could indulge their sick preferences for dog meat. Dogs have been human companions and protectors for millennia – they deserve our help, not our cruelty.

The bucket truck doesn't take dogs that were not given to them. They wouldn't dare to kidnap dogs. That would make them very unwelcome in the village.

6 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The bucket truck doesn't take dogs that were not given to them. They wouldn't dare to kidnap dogs. That would make them very unwelcome in the village.

They would get something given to them if they made an appearance here.

Now one of you non dog lovers asked a question of people like me who like and feed our dogs and stray dogs. "

What is your solution"

Very difficult as everyone will have there own thoughts mine. Thai goverment issues a proclamation something along the lines of.

By 30 June 2018 all house hold dogs  belonging to you shall be micro chipped and wear a collar with house number and mobile number all male dogs brought to centers will be castrated this will be a feee service with centres set up locally to administer the chip and collar and castration. After that date a team made up from local villagw/area Amphurs will visit all villages moo baans all housing areas. Dogs found with no Micro chip and no collar will be rounded up by the teams.  Nowing the areas they visit they may know the dogs owners explain again about what is required and give them the option. All dogs and yes there will be a lot to start with best as possible try to secure a new home for them within the area. This unfortunatley would still leave a great proportion of dogs unable to be reholmed. This is where the only viable option and the most humane option would be to put them to sleep.

Once the main round up is done. A smaller paid team of dog wardens could then be set up to administer new chipping which would be compulsary for all new born dogs. As well as castration (castration being the cheaper option). As well as educating people about keeping dogs within there own property boundries this wont happen overnight. If the team find a dog with the owners not chipped a warning and chipping would be given/done.  

Of course i hate the fact a lot of dogs would be put to sleep but in the long run many more dogs wiuld have a lot better life.the dog population would then be under a form of control and the iveral cost would be kept to a minimum. This could easily be funded by every household  whether in condo/house/or shack paying a couple of hundred bht every year.

Thats my thoughts from a dog lover and dog feeder. I would of course round my pack up and have them chipped.

Edited by jeab1980

15 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Now one of you non dog lovers asked a question of people like me who like and feed our dogs and stray dogs. "

What is your solution"

Very difficult as everyone will have there own thoughts mine. Thai goverment issues a proclamation something along the lines of.

By 30 June 2018 all house hold dogs  belonging to you shall be micro chipped and wear a collar with house number and mobile number all male dogs brought to centers will be castrated this will be a feee service with centres set up locally to administer the chip and collar and castration. After that date a team made up from local villagw/area Amphurs will visit all villages moo baans all housing areas. Dogs found with no Micro chip and no collar will be rounded up by the teams.  Nowing the areas they visit they may know the dogs owners explain again about what is required and give them the option. All dogs and yes there will be a lot to start with best as possible try to secure a new home for them within the area. This unfortunatley would still leave a great proportion of dogs unable to be reholmed. This is where the only viable option and the most humane option would be to put them to sleep.

Once the main round up is done. A smaller paid team of dog wardens could then be set up to administer new chipping which would be compulsary for all new born dogs. As well as castration (castration being the cheaper option). As well as educating people about keeping dogs within there own property boundries this wont happen overnight. If the team find a dog with the owners not chipped a warning and chipping would be given/done.  

Of course i hate the fact a lot of dogs would be put to sleep but in the long run many more dogs wiuld have a lot better life.the dog population would then be under a form of control and the iveral cost would be kept to a minimum. This could easily be funded by every household  whether in condo/house/or shack paying a couple of hundred bht every year.

Thats my thoughts from a dog lover and dog feeder. I would of course round my pack up and have them chipped.

Zero  point to castrating dogs, you need to sterilise the bitches.....

Non dog  owners  need to pay?

Edited by kannot

Any human walking past a starving species or in need of help hoping it dies or someone else deals with it is just an ignorant fool without any balls in life to improve this planet or civilisation.

44 minutes ago, kannot said:

Zero  point to castrating dogs, you need to sterilise the bitches.....

Non dog  owners  need to pay?

Rubish no males producing sperm no puppies. And yes everyone pays. Its a country problem not just dog owners

7 hours ago, Gary A said:

Just a few years ago there was a truck that came around and picked up unwanted dogs. I called it the bucket truck because everyone who brought them a stray dog was given a plastic bucket. These dogs were taken to Laos and sold for food. That is certainly not a great solution but it is better than having the local farmers poisoning and/or beating these dog to death. THEN, a group of do gooder farangs decided that these trucks should be illegal and lobbied the government. Now there are no bucket trucks and the dog population is out of control. The dogs are starving and take to killing chickens and ducks to eat. Those dogs are promptly killed by whatever method the locals can find. 

The do gooder farangs thought they had scored a great victory. They rescued more than five thousand of these dogs. The big problem was that they gave no thought to the fact that these dogs had to eat and be cared for. Apparently the dogs all starved to death while locked in a huge pen. Some of the locals feed these unwanted dogs to protect their chickens and ducks.

If the do gooders want to do something helpful, they should set up sterilization clinics. BUT, ohhh that would cost them money. Can't have that.

Thanks for telling people how to think it wont stop me helping living species but thanks for keeping everyone up to date on the level of ignorance and civilizationin some villages where incest is ripe, cutting up bodies is fun and giving away living species for plastic buckets , must be a blast living there.

So dont forget that 99% of those people helping species in Thailand ate Thais not foreigners, looks like some people in Thailand want to improve life for every species on this planet.

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

"Live and let live"

I don't care much about stray dogs, I don't want to feed them, I would rather they weren't there, but I don't want to kill them, nor do I want to interfere with people that do want to feed them.

The dogs don't bother me. They don't chase me, they don't snarl at me and they don't bite me. I do not have a problem with the dogs, so see no need for a solution.

Hey, maybe the dogs can sense which individuals hate and want to kill them and those are the people they chase and bite.

You don't care about stray dogs? 

But you can see there is a problem, right?  You can see many street dogs are suffering? 

You think dogs have magical powers to know which people want to don't like them.. and they are fine to go bite and chase people who don't like dogs?

Live and let live?  So that is your attitude to life.... just don't care about things that don't directly affect you?

So I get from you post your solution to helping the stray and street dogs is to ignore the problem?  That seems to be what I get most of the dog 'lovers' and feeders attitude seems to be.. pretend they are doing a good thing and helping the dogs.. when in fact they are doing the opposite and making the problem worse. 

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

You don't care about stray dogs? 

But you can see there is a problem, right?  You can see many street dogs are suffering? 

You think dogs have magical powers to know which people want to don't like them.. and they are fine to go bite and chase people who don't like dogs?

Live and let live?  So that is your attitude to life.... just don't care about things that don't directly affect you?

So I get from you post your solution to helping the stray and street dogs is to ignore the problem?  That seems to be what I get most of the dog 'lovers' and feeders attitude seems to be.. pretend they are doing a good thing and helping the dogs.. when in fact they are doing the opposite and making the problem worse. 

In your opinion of course.

10 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

In your opinion of course.

I understand now you are only posting on this thread to argue with people and have no real interest or knowledge of the subject.

You lost my interest when you stated you did could not care less about stray dogs.  Weird why you keep arguing about it if you have no interest in the subject.. and why you are even posting on this topic in the first place.

Let us know when you bitches have puppies that need rehoming.  Because I can't believe you have no male dogs in several miles of your property... because a male dog will travel considerable distance to reach a female in heat.  Good luck with that one. 

What is your solution"

Is there a need to chip dogs if the gates are closed? But then the problem occurs that many houses do not have gates, so do laws need to be introduced? If no gates/fences, then no dogs? Seeing as many Thai will not be able to afford either a microchip or a castration/spaying, then wouldn't a cheaper solution be to tag dogs. Attach a plastic ID number to a dogs collar (then all they have to buy is the collar). And that ID number would then be referenced back to the Tessaban and include relevant information. The Tessaban already currently record which dogs they have given rabies vaccinations to as this helps in identifying if a dog bite is a rabies threat or not. All that is required is an extension of that.

Why castrate dogs? Doesn't matter what a male dog does if the bitch is never in season. He can rape and rape away and nothing will happen. Spaying dogs would be more beneficial. As well as making breeding impossible, it will lower risks of breast cancer, pyometra etc. It will also prevent fights, as female to female fights are more aggressive, longer lasting than male to male. Especially around heat. Or why not just  do both, as most countries do if this fantasy budget covers it. 

I also wonder how a re-homing of either 'stray' or 'feral' animals would work? What are the implications of if the dogs attack the owners, are they tested for diseases/desexed before the re-homing takes place. Who/what expert is temperament testing the animals? Are we setting up a RSPCA type thing with a government budget? Where is the budget coming from....considering how many dogs there really are here in Thailand, it will need to be a massive budget to have a re-homing department. Who pays for the boarding, the feeding, the staff? Where are dogs kept? Who is paying the project to build the premises that the dogs are kept at and the staff work at? I know for a fact that my Tessaban is the only Tessaban with a 30km odd radius that has the space for any more government buildings. So does that mean all dogs in a 30km radius will be sent to a building in my area? Who fits the bill for the building of it, the locals? People who may not even have dogs?

Edited by wildewillie89

33 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I understand now you are only posting on this thread to argue with people and have no real interest or knowledge of the subject.

You lost my interest when you stated you did could not care less about stray dogs.  Weird why you keep arguing about it if you have no interest in the subject.. and why you are even posting on this topic in the first place.

Let us know when you bitches have puppies that need rehoming.  Because I can't believe you have no male dogs in several miles of your property... because a male dog will travel considerable distance to reach a female in heat.  Good luck with that one. 

Please show me where i said i have no interest in stray dogs? My dogs wont have puppies so no problems there. I dont belive i have no stray male dogs around i know. Goodnight.

33 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Is there a need to chip dogs if the gates are closed? But then the problem occurs that many houses do not have gates, so do laws need to be introduced? If no gates/fences, then no dogs? Seeing as many Thai will not be able to afford either a microchip or a castration/spaying, then wouldn't a cheaper solution be to tag dogs. Attach a plastic ID number to a dogs collar (then all they have to buy is the collar). And that ID number would then be referenced back to the Tessaban and include relevant information. The Tessaban already currently record which dogs they have given rabies vaccinations to as this helps in identifying if a dog bite is a rabies threat or not. All that is required is an extension of that.

Why castrate dogs? Doesn't matter what a male dog does if the bitch is never in season. He can rape and rape away and nothing will happen. Spaying dogs would be more beneficial. As well as making breeding impossible, it will lower risks of breast cancer, pyometra etc. It will also prevent fights, as female to female fights are more aggressive, longer lasting than male to male. Especially around heat. Or why not just  do both, as most countries do if this fantasy budget covers it. 

I also wonder how a re-homing of either 'stray' or 'feral' animals would work? What are the implications of if the dogs attack the owners, are they tested for diseases/desexed before the re-homing takes place. Who/what expert is temperament testing the animals? Are we setting up a RSPCA type thing with a government budget? Where is the budget coming from....considering how many dogs there really are here in Thailand, it will need to be a massive budget to have a re-homing department. Who pays for the boarding, the feeding, the staff? Where are dogs kept? Who is paying the project to build the premises that the dogs are kept at and the staff work at? I know for a fact that my Tessaban is the only Tessaban with a 30km odd radius that has the space for any more government buildings. So does that mean all dogs in a 30km radius will be sent to a building in my area? Who fits the bill for the building of it, the locals? People who may not even have dogs?

Also who is paying for the animals to be 'put to sleep'? Didn't the RSPCA used to drill the skull and mash up the brain with a screwdriver to save on the lethal dosage as it is expensive? In many countries, governments hire shooters as it is also a lot cheaper? How is all this included in the budget?

Edited by wildewillie89

Rubish no males producing sperm no puppies. And yes everyone pays. Its a country problem not just dog owners

sorry i forgot you couldnt be educated...my error

48 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

please dont use logic  or reason just find a  wall to bang your head against:crazy:

47 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Stop using all this  logic, dont forget what country your'e  in............The irresponsible feeders and irresponsible owners  should pay, theyre the ones letting the dogs get pregnant and then dumping them on others or the street, they sometimes  dump them here on my doorstep and I in turn dump them straight down at the temple.

Judging by my   local village Id  say it makes the whole  village irresponsible.

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

I can only presume you didnt readbmy oost as the answervto most questions you ask are already in there. As for the gate or fence lsw how ridiculous is that do they have that law in your birth country i know they dint in mine. By the way a castrated fog has neither the urge or wanting to rape and rape as you put it. In all the years ive hsd dogs my males were always castrated and none even tried to hump a bitch. They were done at 4 months old. All pay including expats is a country wide provlem so you all say so put up or shut up.

33 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I can only presume you didnt readbmy oost as the answervto most questions you ask are already in there. As for the gate or fence lsw how ridiculous is that do they have that law in your birth country i know they dint in mine. By the way a castrated fog has neither the urge or wanting to rape and rape as you put it. In all the years ive hsd dogs my males were always castrated and none even tried to hump a bitch. They were done at 4 months old. All pay including expats is a country wide provlem so you all say so put up or shut up.

Castrated dogs even try and hump things such as rugs and sporting balls (you know all those funny YouTube videos people post). Bring a spayed bitch into a yard even (no heat) with a castrated dog and some sort of humping will try and go on (but it is besides the point and not relevant and no pregnancy will occur...what is relevant is the health risks/benefits to either the desexing of male and females - many more benefits to desex females). Being a 'dog lover', i would have thought you knew that.

I read what you said, but you seem to be pulling money out of your backside with all of the things you are suggesting. Again, with all of these actions, where is the money coming from. As the sources of money explained dont cover 1% of it. Also where is the government land coming from? Currently many Tessabans cant even enter bids to get Immigration Offices (that they want so badly), due to having no government owned land to put them on. 

As for the law, I would say there is a municipality law regarding pet ownership and fencing in my country. It would be most likely classed under nuisance laws, as more than likely members in the community would complain...re safety etc. 

Edited by wildewillie89

On 2017-6-5 at 0:18 PM, jeab1980 said:

Its individual choice if someone wants like me to feed a dog i will end of story my desicion my choice. Same as those that smoke or drink or do drugs, there choice there life. Unfortunately in life its not as simple as that you make your choice then others stick there noses in and say its wrong or your wrong trying to impose there lifestyle on you/ there will on you. When you disagree with there reteric suddenly you become public enemy no 1. "How dare you not listen and put my way, my thought into action dont you know im right." Or in this case you become a dog apologists. Good debate is always welcome however whipping/beating/poisoning/shooting/annd the list goes on is not a debate its pathetic.

As predicted if you read the posts after i first posted this, things have progressed as expected from the other dog hating posters to a stalking post to a grammer police post to even miss quoting me to turn the post into his reteric. Obviously  they see this as normal behaviour i detest this form of trying to bully someone. So i will make my exit in the knowledge I was totally correct on my above post. So post away with youre bile.

Edited by jeab1980