Feeding stray dogs, what is the point ?

Peterw42

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Every morning on a daily basis I go to work.

If I have bones from the night before I throw them out the wine in front of the neighbors house.

The dogs all love me

My wife says that sometimes the crotchety guy next door runs out with a stick, chases the dogs off and picks up the bones.

I always think about what great fun it must be for the dogs...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I'm hoping not cooked bones. Won't be much fun for the dogs when they splinter their insides. 

If cooked, I would do exactly the same as the neighbour. Why not throw them in front of your house, rather than the dogs having to live in fear of being hit by a stick just for a bone? 

Edited by wildewillie89

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping not cooked bones. Won't be much fun for the dogs when they splinter their insides. 

If cooked, I would do exactly the same as the neighbour. Why not throw them in front of your house, rather than the dogs having to live in fear of being hit by a stick just for a bone? 

Cooked bones of course. If they want raw bones, let the catch their own chickens.

He never actually gets close enough to actually hit them...that’s why I think it great fun for the dogs.

20 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Cooked bones of course. If they want raw bones, let the catch their own chickens.

He never actually gets close enough to actually hit them...that’s why I think it great fun for the dogs.

Should never feed cooked bones to dogs. As when they are cooked and chewed on they can splinter the insides. More often than not it is okay, but vets see it all the time and it is why they don't recommend it. Unless you are happy to pay for the surgery of course...

4 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Should never feed cooked bones to dogs. As when they are cooked and chewed on they can splinter the insides. More often than not it is okay, but vets see it all the time and it is why they don't recommend it. Unless you are happy to pay for the surgery of course...

Yes, give them coked bones with chocolate or sugar.

I’ve heard that for 50 years, probably had 20 dogs, never had an issue. The dogs like them, and would likely dig them out of the trash anyway.

Lot of things I shouldn’t do, not giving dogs cooked bones is pretty far down on the list.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I’ve heard that for 50 years, probably had 20 dogs, never had an issue. The dogs like them, and would likely dig them out of the trash anyway.

Lot of things I shouldn’t do, not giving dogs cooked bones is pretty far down on the list.

That argument is like saying I have smoked all my life and have never gotten cancer. However, doctors, or vets in this case, see it on a pretty common basis. Common enough to tell people not to do it anyway. But if you are willing to pay the medical costs then that is up to you. 

That argument is like saying I have smoked all my life and have never gotten cancer. However, doctors, or vets in this case, see it on a pretty common basis. Common enough to tell people not to do it anyway. But if you are willing to pay the medical costs then that is up to you. 

I’m not saying it may not be bad for them, I’m saying that if it is, the incidence is small enough that I’m not concerned about it.

I know I shouldn’t teach dogs to chase balls because they might chase one out in the street and get run over. But I like throwing the ball and the.dog likes chasing it...

I would not even know if one of bone-eating dogs needed medical attention, and don’t really care.

If someone gives panhandlers money, are the responsible when the panhandler dies of alcohol poisoning or smoking related lung cancer?

coming to bkk in another week, just yesterday my wife mentions bringing along treats to feed the dogs..... huh? We've had and loved dogs but no way would I condone feeding strays.  I told her they will remember her scent and follow her everywhere and come scratching at the door in the middle of the night. I think that was enough to get her to leave the treats behind. :)