Feeding stray dogs, what is the point ?

Peterw42

As a dog lover, I realize that this overpopulation problem has no easy solutions. I never liked the bucket trucks but at least they served a purpose. Very few dog lovers would take in a mangy sick dog for a pet. It would be much better to put those sick animals out of their misery. I also understand that people have widely different opinions. We have seen people here with ruffled feathers and other downright angry people. The bottom line is this over population must be culled by sterilization or by being humanely killed. A bullet in the head is more humane than allowing them to live. Even the sterilized animals need to eat. From what I have seen is they would rather pen them up and allow them to eat each other or starve to death. Do you really  think that the do gooders are willing to reach into their pockets for money to feed these animals?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gary A said:

As a dog lover, I realize that this overpopulation problem has no easy solutions. I never liked the bucket trucks but at least they served a purpose. Very few dog lovers would take in a mangy sick dog for a pet. It would be much better to put those sick animals out of their misery. I also understand that people have widely different opinions. We have seen people here with ruffled feathers and other downright angry people. The bottom line is this over population must be culled by sterilization or by being humanely killed. A bullet in the head is more humane than allowing them to live. Even the sterilized animals need to eat. From what I have seen is they would rather pen them up and allow them to eat each other or starve to death. Do you really  think that the do gooders are willing to reach into their pockets for money to feed these animals?

Many ‘do-gooders’ here in CM regularly reach into their pockets and donate the money to feed ‘these animals’. Others listen to their hearts and give time and effort to the several dog charities here. As regards taking in a ‘mangy, sick dog’ as a pet, mange is easy to cure and sickness is often the result of being alone, hungry and unloved. This, of course, applies to humans as well as to dogs.

Overpopulation??? You’re referring to dogs, of course, not to the humans who struggle to live in this world’s notorious war zones without enough water, food, medical attention or hope for a better life. Why do representatives of our species – just one on a planet crammed with different life forms – think they have the right to deal death to another species when they should be helping to give life?

And, most importantly, who are you to decide what is humane for a dog? Being humane involves compassion, assistance and a realisation we are simply part of the whole rather than the inhumane arbiters of what should and should not be done. That’s the bottom line.

4 minutes ago, buddhalady said:

Many ‘do-gooders’ here in CM regularly reach into their pockets and donate the money to feed ‘these animals’. Others listen to their hearts and give time and effort to the several dog charities here. As regards taking in a ‘mangy, sick dog’ as a pet, mange is easy to cure and sickness is often the result of being alone, hungry and unloved. This, of course, applies to humans as well as to dogs.

Overpopulation??? You’re referring to dogs, of course, not to the humans who struggle to live in this world’s notorious war zones without enough water, food, medical attention or hope for a better life. Why do representatives of our species – just one on a planet crammed with different life forms – think they have the right to deal death to another species when they should be helping to give life?

And, most importantly, who are you to decide what is humane for a dog? Being humane involves compassion, assistance and a realisation we are simply part of the whole rather than the inhumane arbiters of what should and should not be done. That’s the bottom line.

Were you a part of the group who rescued more than 5,000 dogs from the bucket trucks? If so, you for got to feed them after they were rescued.

17 hours ago, kannot said:

The temple s will take them all round here, Ive dumped them there a  few  times as people dump them on my doorstep

I  know   many  who do.  But it is actually  unlawful. 

It is  presumed  that the   Monks  will take  care   but...... go and  observe  the  condition  of   most of the  animals  dumped   .

23 hours ago, humbug said:

its ignorant not to help and if you think about diseases these were created by humans. Really you clearly have no balls to protect species on this planet just create scare tactics and forget about the drunk villages causing 99% of the mayhem in your area but lets just be ignorant and blame the starving species.

Theres always a way to help anyone or any species there is no excuse just ignorance

It  has  nothing  to do  with  protection of a  species ! Cross  breed dogs  are  a prolific international entity.

As  a  domestic  bred  animal they live  of the  back  of the  human  species  even when made or  left  to  become   so  called  feral!

The  more   humane  response  should  be to  ensure  the full  domestic  care without  the  suffering  of   stray  dogs.

In other words, guardianship  with  responsibility .

Diseases that  are  capable of transmission  are   not   human   made. Some   can infect   humans  but  the  outcome  does  not  fulfill  the  life  cycle  of  the  parasite  as it  would  in a  dog. Some  only  use  the dog as a  means of transmission  to  another  species including  humans.

I am not sure  that  a  dog   suffering  full  body  mange  for  years  as well as permanent  starvation,  gut  worms, heart  worm, lyme  disease and  other  slow   but  sure  death  disease would  not  if  if possible express  gratitude  for  a  painless  ending !  

Temples just add to the problem. Coincidentally, my grandmother in law was bitten today by a new stray that has figured out that the temples feed them. Off to go get the rabies shot. Temples dogs look unhealthy due to, one, the poor diet, two, all the existing/new parasites, and three, the monks just don't care - it is not uncommon to see monks kick dogs. 

Which brings another question to all the self labelled 'humane dog lovers' out there? What do you actually feed these stray/feral dogs? 

Just now, wildewillie89 said:

Temples just add to the problem. Coincidentally, my grandmother in law was bitten today by a new stray that has figured out that the temples feed them. Off to go get the rabies shot. Temples dogs look unhealthy due to, one, the poor diet, two, all the existing/new parasites, and three, the monks just don't care - it is not uncommon to see monks kick dogs. 

Which brings another question to all the self labelled 'humane dog lovers' out there? What do you actually feed these stray/feral dogs? 

The   feel  good  food. :smile:  Cheapest   bulk  pack multi  coloured  stuff  that  usually   just   molds  away in  various   mounds  uneaten. Want  pictures?

Reminds  me  of   confetti  !   Also a  feel  good   disposable. 

8 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The   feel  good  food. :smile:  Cheapest   bulk  pack multi  coloured  stuff  that  usually   just   molds  away in  various   mounds  uneaten. Want  pictures?

Reminds  me  of   confetti  !   Also a  feel  good   disposable. 

Ahh the one where the dogs end up pooing rainbows? Or is it the one that does absolutely nothing for the immune system, in a country with so many parasites that having a strong immune system is paramount...or is it the one that cancer causing toxins are always found in...all of these things aren't in the same cheap bulk multi pack are they? :shock1:  lol. 

Just now, wildewillie89 said:

Ahh the one where the dogs end up pooing rainbows? Or is it the one that does absolutely nothing for the immune system, in a country with so many parasites that having a strong immune system is paramount...or is it the one that cancer causing toxins are always found in...all of these things aren't in the same cheap bulk multi pack are they? :shock1:  lol. 

Very  likely ! Although  I  know  some  sprinkle   fish  sauce   on  to  provide  an attraction.  And  the  warnings   about  long term   consumption  of  that   have  been subject  to  warnings  too  ! 

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Very  likely ! Although  I  know  some  sprinkle   fish  sauce   on  to  provide  an attraction.  And  the  warnings   about  long term   consumption  of  that   have  been subject  to  warnings  too  ! 

Luckily it is the 'humane dog loving' thing to do then...would be like feeding a homeless man McDonalds everyday. Yeah, sure, he may not go hungry, but what's the damage being done...

Why do you let them bite your mother-in-law?

Grow a pair and take care of your family.

52 minutes ago, mogandave said:

maybe he grew a pair and told the dogs to bite his mother in law? maybe he didn't want to risk food poisoning by biting her himself?

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

Don't know the difference between a mother and grandmother? I am sorry, but I don't spend every living minute with my mother or grandmother in law...it seems you not only have fetishes with human flesh, but also family members of the opposite sex. Whatever floats your boat :)

Don't know the difference between a mother and grandmother? I am sorry, but I don't spend every living minute with my mother or grandmother in law...it seems you not only have fetishes with human flesh, but also family members of the opposite sex. Whatever floats your boat :)

Really, that's all you have? Weak.

Okay, is this where I say: You don't know the difference between a grandmother-in-law and a grandmother?

Again, rather than nit-picking and moaning about people feeding dogs that have been chasing and biting you and your family continually, why not man-up and do something about it?

Again, and to be clear, if a stray dog was running around terrorizing my neighborhood, chasing and biting my family (including but not limited to my grandmother-in-law) I would kill it.

Just now, mogandave said:

Really, that's all you have? Weak.

Okay, is this where I say: You don't know the difference between a grandmother-in-law and a grandmother?

Again, rather than nit-picking and moaning about people feeding dogs that have been chasing and biting you and your family continually, why not man-up and do something about it?

Again, and to be clear, if a stray dog was running around terrorizing my neighborhood, chasing and biting my family (including but not limited to my grandmother-in-law) I would kill it.

I think the definition of a grandmother-in-law is the 'grandmother of one's spouse'. Seeing as my own 'grandmother' does not live in Thailand, I think it would have been quite difficult for the temple dog to bite her. Just type the definition in Google. Should be the first thing that comes up :).

Moaning about a moaner...and feeling tough about it. Nice. 

Sure, it is fine to be a troll...but at least be good at it. 

19 hours ago, Gary A said:

Were you a part of the group who rescued more than 5,000 dogs from the bucket trucks? If so, you for got to feed them after they were rescued.

No, I wasn't - the rescue (not of 5,0000,  by the way, just one truck)  took place before I came here - but one of the dogs was kept by its rescuer until she died over five years ago, at which point I happily took that dog over. Have had Maggie dog for five and a half years now - she's very old and one of the best dogs I've ever loved.

If I'd had the kind of money spent by some expats at various overpriced upscale haunts in this city I would have happily fed and cared for a truckload of dogs.

If you can't manage a sensible , factual reply, don't bother. I'm outta here, it's a waste of time trying to inject a speck of humanity into most posters on this forum.

Apparently it makes me a bad guy because I hate to see animals suffer and starve. And it was not 50,000, it was 5,000. Some people intend to do good deeds but instead cause more problems. Civilized countries employ dog catchers to control the population of stray dogs. Most of those stray dogs are eventually euthanized. The US county where I lived put those dogs in a small room and hooked up a hose from their truck exhaust to kill them. Humane death or not?

One local lady here gave a chicken killing dog to the bucket truck. On the other end of the village, her husband saw the good looking dog and rescued it not knowing it was a chicken killer. When he took the dog home, his wife gave him an ear full. That dog spent the rest of the time on a chain until the bucket truck came around again.

I think the definition of a grandmother-in-law is the 'grandmother of one's spouse'. Seeing as my own 'grandmother' does not live in Thailand, I think it would have been quite difficult for the temple dog to bite her. Just type the definition in Google. Should be the first thing that comes up :).

Moaning about a moaner...and feeling tough about it. Nice. 

Sure, it is fine to be a troll...but at least be good at it. 

Wow, another really strong response.

Again, and I understand how confusing this must be for you, but If a stray dog was terrorizing my neighborhood and had bitten me and my family I would kill it.

21 hours ago, buddhalady said:

Are you seriously saying feral street dogs should have the same rights as humans?  Are you suggesting that those poor starving people in war zones are no more important than the street dogs of Thailand? 

21 hours ago, buddhalady said:

And who are you to keep dogs locked up in your property as prisoners... not allowing them freedom to roam the streets and live their lives?  You would think it better to leave the hundreds of thousands of suffering dogs to their fate on the streets and simply throw them a bit of food and encourage them to breed and make the suffering and problem grown and grow... and create more endless and growing suffering?

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Again, and I understand how confusing this must be for you, but If a stray dog was terrorizing my neighborhood and had bitten me and my family I would kill it.

What was strong about it? The definition of words is now considered a 'strong' response'? Maybe if you consider that strong, then you just might not have it in you to 'kill it'.

You have said this killing thing numerous times...I haven't asked any recent questions that would warrant an answer like that. Any questions I have asked recently have been directed at dog feeders. Didn't you say you do not feed dogs?..I am confused why you keep on repeating it. Do you want a response on it? Is it your way of showing some sort of masculinity if you use the word 'kill'? Do you just find pleasure in talking to me? Which is it? If it is option three then the pleasure is all mine. 

Or is it your way of implying that I just sit here moaning about it, when numerous posts have already mentioned that I have had actual discussions with the Ministry of Public Health (which includes environmental issues), on ideas and ways of how to at least minimalise the dangers of stray/feral dogs. I was in the car with the Director of Public Health for my whole region about a month ago discussing it. I also speak to the Director of the South as well. Is that not sufficient for you? Should I drop quite a few nukes on the whole country to kill off every dog? But that will then be like 'biting' you/your family...wouldn't want you to come kill me.

Also previous comments I have said, that no one worries if a dog bites them generally (not even my grandmother-in-law) . Boo hoo. The rabies injection into the site hurts more than the bite. The issue is the diseases. If a dog bit someone in Australia, then no drama as no rabies. You cannot comprehend non-diseased bite vs diseased bite? 

If your option is to kill every dog, then good for you. Even though they are all potential threats to your family you are still not acting on your word and going out and killing them...funny that. Official Thai warnings about dogs, even travel warnings include the dangers of dogs here (so you cannot hide behind your line, 'they don't have any affect on me or my family'). The fact is they do have a potential threat to every person living here, but for whatever reason you are not acting on your action plan (refer to paragraph one). 

Do you want me to announce this repeated 'killing' statement of yours at the local announcements tonight over the loud speaker? The village didn't ask you for a comment on the matter, but seeing as you just like repeating yourself to people for no reason... 

But it is nice for you to keep me entertained at work, even though your trolling is below par (better than nothing). Thursday and Friday I only work 1 hour and just sit in the a/c office all day, so good to have some company :).

Edited by wildewillie89

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

but how about a stray grandmother?

Meanwhile, I am still waiting for an animal lover to explain to me why a stray dog should be treated differently from a stray mosquito.

To me it is simple: if they (threaten to) bite me, they should die.

What was strong about it? The definition of words is now considered a 'strong' response'? Maybe if you consider that strong, then you just might not have it in you to 'kill it'.

You have said this killing thing numerous times...I haven't asked any recent questions that would warrant an answer like that. Any questions I have asked recently have been directed at dog feeders. Didn't you say you do not feed dogs?..I am confused why you keep on repeating it. Do you want a response on it? Is it your way of showing some sort of masculinity if you use the word 'kill'? Do you just find pleasure in talking to me? Which is it? If it is option three then the pleasure is all mine. 

Or is it your way of implying that I just sit here moaning about it, when numerous posts have already mentioned that I have had actual discussions with the Ministry of Public Health (which includes environmental issues), on ideas and ways of how to at least minimalise the dangers of stray/feral dogs. I was in the car with the Director of Public Health for my whole region about a month ago discussing it. I also speak to the Director of the South as well. Is that not sufficient for you? Should I drop quite a few nukes on the whole country to kill off every dog? But that will then be like 'biting' you/your family...wouldn't want you to come kill me.

Also previous comments I have said, that no one worries if a dog bites them generally (not even my grandmother-in-law) . Boo hoo. The rabies injection into the site hurts more than the bite. The issue is the diseases. If a dog bit someone in Australia, then no drama as no rabies. You cannot comprehend non-diseased bite vs diseased bite? 

If your option is to kill every dog, then good for you. Even though they are all potential threats to your family you are still not acting on your word and going out and killing them...funny that. Official Thai warnings about dogs, even travel warnings include the dangers of dogs here (so you cannot hide behind your line, 'they don't have any affect on me or my family'). The fact is they do have a potential threat to every person living here, but for whatever reason you are not acting on your action plan (refer to paragraph one). 

Do you want me to announce this repeated 'killing' statement of yours at the local announcements tonight over the loud speaker? The village didn't ask you for a comment on the matter, but seeing as you just like repeating yourself to people for no reason... 

But it is nice for you to keep me entertained at work, even though your trolling is below par (better than nothing). Thursday and Friday I only work 1 hour and just sit in the a/c office all day, so good to have some company :).

Yes, I was implying you are just moaning about it, here and (and apparently) with all the public officials you ride around with. That must be a hoot.

I thought you said one of the dogs took a chunk out you, now you say the bites don't hurt, and that no one (including your grandmother-in-law) is worried about being bitten.

Yet here we are going on and on about it.

You wingers crack me up.

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Yes, I wax implying you are just moaning about it, here and (and apparently) with all the public officials you ride around with. That must be a hoot.

I thought you said one of the dogs took a chunk out you, now you say the bites don't hurt, and that no one (including your grandmother-in-law) is worried about being bitten.

Yet here we are going on and on about it.

You wingers crack me up.

How many dogs did you kill today? None? So I am moaning but actually trying to change something. You are moaning and saying you will do something, but will not actually bring yourself to do it. Now I can see why you focus so much on my moaning (rather than  my actions). So you can forget about your own inaction. Like those kids in high school who compare themselves to their bottom of the class friend, rather than their high achieving friends...so they don't feel so bad when they fail.

Didn't know the definition of 'chunk' included the concept of pain. The word 'chunk', is actually quite a casual way to speak about the situation. You have never required stitches before? It isn't the biggest of problems, the rabies that you can get on the other hand... 

I find spending time with educated people generally a bit of a hoot. If you don't, that is fine too.

Starting to sound like the Jeab user saying things like 'you crack me up'. You know, the guy that turned around and reported everyone for bullying as he had no more comebacks. I am very disappointed that you have sunk so low you had to resort to 'crack me up'. I think that is the end of our little game now if it has come to those statements. Weekend anyway (tomorrow off). Time to get out and about. Enjoy motivating yourself to...almost kill :)

How many dogs did you kill today? None? So I am moaning but actually trying to change something. You are moaning and saying you will do something, but will not actually bring yourself to do it. Now I can see why you focus so much on my moaning (rather than  my actions). So you can forget about your own inaction. Like those kids in high school who compare themselves to their bottom of the class friend, rather than their high achieving friends...so they don't feel so bad when they fail.

Didn't know the definition of 'chunk' included the concept of pain. The word 'chunk', is actually quite a casual way to speak about the situation. You have never required stitches before? It isn't the biggest of problems, the rabies that you can get on the other hand... 

I find spending time with educated people generally a bit of a hoot. If you don't, that is fine too.

Starting to sound like the Jeab user saying things like 'you crack me up'. You know, the guy that turned around and reported everyone for bullying as he had no more comebacks. I am very disappointed that you have sunk so low you had to resort to 'crack me up'. I think that is the end of our little game now if it has come to those statements. Weekend anyway (tomorrow off). Time to get out and about. Enjoy motivating yourself to...almost kill :)

Why would I kill animals that are not bothering me?

So it's okay for you to condescend to me but when I find it amusing, you claim to be disappointed that I "...have sunk so low..." That's pretty funny. Not as funny as you getting chased around and bitten by rabid dogs constantly but pretty dang funny.

Have a nice weekend.

On 08/06/2017 at 1:18 PM, jak2002003 said:

Are you seriously saying feral street dogs should have the same rights as humans?  Are you suggesting that those poor starving people in war zones are no more important than the street dogs of Thailand? 

And who are you to keep dogs locked up in your property as prisoners... not allowing them freedom to roam the streets and live their lives?  You would think it better to leave the hundreds of thousands of suffering dogs to their fate on the streets and simply throw them a bit of food and encourage them to breed and make the suffering and problem grown and grow... and create more endless and growing suffering?

You have all my compassion for your total failure to understand my posts on this matter.

Let me make my stance very, very clear. Evey species, including the human one, is entitled to its needs - as we now control the planet it's our responsibility to abolish cruelty as and when it occurs. Sadly, I'm not 'sitting on a hot stove waiting' for this to happen. It's us humans who've screwed up through our unrelenting greed - it's us who will destroy our home.

Like the TV advert says - ' I'm your home - if you don't take care of me, I can't take care of you'  - that, to me, includes all species and the infrastructure of the planet itself.

You have all my compassion for your total failure to understand my posts on this matter.

Let me make my stance very, very clear. Evey species, including the human one, is entitled to its needs - as we now control the planet it's our responsibility to abolish cruelty as and when it occurs. Sadly, I'm not 'sitting on a hot stove waiting' for this to happen. It's us humans who've screwed up through our unrelenting greed - it's us who will destroy our home.

Like the TV advert says - ' I'm your home - if you don't take care of me, I can't take care of you'  - that, to me, includes all species and the infrastructure of the planet itself.

If we're in control of the planet, can we slow it down just a little?

I hate leap-year!

• 4 months later...

Every morning on daily basis I take stick and clean territory near my house from any dogs food, also i push dogs away and check them under every car. If i see someone give food for dogs i always go into confrontation. Many times I took food from dogs or even from people who bring it  and put that food into rubbish been. They hate me, but i am not going to give up. My plan is to make them feel very uncomfortable to go into my territory. I notice some dog feeders stopped come here. Best argument against dog feeders is to say they need to pay 2000 baht for feeding stray dogs in public places.

Unfortunately it is not effective, too many people come on cars and motorbikes and trow food here. I just cannot do it all day around. I think we just need to do more pressure on dogs and people who feed them in area where we live.

Edited by TheBrain

Every morning on a daily basis I go to work.

If I have bones from the night before I throw them out the wine in front of the neighbors house.

The dogs all love me

My wife says that sometimes the crotchety guy next door runs out with a stick, chases the dogs off and picks up the bones.

I always think about what great fun it must be for the dogs...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect