"Man roughhoused and handcuffed for filming police" all a big misunderstanding say Bangkok cops

webfact

"Man roughhoused and handcuffed for filming police" all a big misunderstanding say Bangkok cops

2pm.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- Thai police have defended their actions in taking down and handcuffing a member of the public who netizens thought was just filming the force at work.

Police said that the man was drunk and disorderly and damaged property and that people online had got the wrong idea about what happened, reported Thai News Agency.

So much so that today they plan to hold a news conference at the scene of the event in Klong Toey, Bangkok, where the man at the center of it all will explain what happened.

The clip of the arrest went viral as many officers took down Pramok Rortthiang. People suggested that he was unfairly treated by the cops just for filming.

But traffic police spokesman Sironwit Inthorn said that the public were not in full possession of the facts following the incident near the Klong Toey market on Friday.

He said that Pramok was suspected of being an illegal immigrant but he fled after being asked for his ID. He had also damaged a mirror.

Sironwit said that he was taken to Thong Lor station where his credentials were checked and he was found to be a Thai national. He paid compensation for the damaged property and also apologized to the police, he said.

Pramok is set to attend a press conference today at the spot where the incident occurred to put the matter straight.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-24

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

So much so that today they plan to hold a news conference at the scene of the event in Klong Toey, Bangkok, where the man at the center of it all will explain what happened.

Starting off with the customary 'apologetic' wai.

Edited by Thaiwrath

This is where filming in public can get you into alot of trouble .... 

Folks are so stupid and gullible that whatever they see on facebook has to be correct .... so they take a view on only what they see , they don't know what occured before the shots are taken or after ....  

no one likes being filmed in any embarrassing situation and one could get badly beat up for doing so ....

"...the man at the center of it all will explain what happened."

If he was a good student in the Thai "education" system, he will have no problem memorizing and regurgitating the "correct information" they force feed him. Otherwise, he will have more than a cup thrown at his head. 

Well someone forgot to stop the person "filming" the police, cuffing the guy who was filming them. 555

All a little bit of over reaction there. Something the police everywhere are capable of. 

Look around guys. There are cameras everywhere.

I've had an officer in Australia go for his gun one day in a speed trap, just for giving him a pithy piece of my mind.

3 minutes ago, chinostar said:

It takes an entire police force to handcuff him and it took them all morning to do it!

A minor exaggeration there, but its a good observation I got tired just looking at it.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But traffic police spokesman Sironwit Inthorn said that the public were not in full possession of the facts following the incident near the Klong Toey market on Friday.

Our facts supersede all others. You are now in possession of OUR facts. Its all a big mistake and the filmer will be taken back to the scene and finger pointing will take place and all will be well again. A slight misunderstanding at best. 

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is where filming in public can get you into alot of trouble .... 

Folks are so stupid and gullible that whatever they see on facebook has to be correct .... so they take a view on only what they see , they don't know what occured before the shots are taken or after ....  

no one likes being filmed in any embarrassing situation and one could get badly beat up for doing so ....

Guilty ones really hate it!

If your not a "guilty" person, just smile/wave at the camera. 

From where I'm sitting it seems impossible to come to a fair judgment of this matter.  He is a Thai and will certainly be pressured to give the authorities the story they want whether true or not.  However, their story for once actually sounds believable and not laughable.  If they were making it up they would come up with some far less sane, I would expect, given their history of "explanations."  And if the police are simply irked at being filmed, then how is this video out there?  Clearly the police knew they were still being filmed, no?  

A few months ago I was in Samsen Soi X, and a group of police on bikes were collecting tea money from the restaurants. Where I was seated, eating dinner, the RTP had an altercation with the owner. She showed all of her paid receipts, and refused to budge. Then suddenly one of her large timber tables was being removed for not paying up. I decided to take photos of the disappearing table. That when shxx hit the fan... What are you doing? You cannot photograph my men at work... Delete now, or I take you to police station... I obliged under duress... Then officer in charge demanded to see my passport. I showed an electronic copy on my phone of data page, visa, exit/entry stamp... No I want see original... I said, don't you know the immigration requirements? Original, photocopy or electronic copy suffices... He was very pixxed of, and stormed off with a grunt... Yes, you need be careful what you photograph or film, otherwise you can end up in big trouble...  

Now lets ask the 'good' Army General Prime Minister if there is any new laws he has just passed to prevent the Public from filming/videoing in public places as long as everybody have clothes on............. LOL..........