Are you married!

Recently I was asked if I was married and I said "Yes". I was then asked," why do I have to go out of the country every 3 months". Well, this was a Thai person asking me of course and they have no clue about the BS we have to endure if we do not meet their requirements. So this got me thinking, am I really married, after all if it was the shoe on the other foot she would be entitled to citizenship after a time plus no hassle with yearly extenstion/visa runs. I also know it is much easier if the foreigner is female to marry, but still why the big difference. So I am I really married? What happens if I can not fulfill the immigration requirements? I get deported? What happens to my wife? At the moment I am all good but for some people this is a real question, even if you are legally married to a Thai your life hangs by a thread and it should not be like this, male or female. I am bored of the BS and doing border runs. No wonder so many foreign men including myself turn to beer. I am getting off the beer and plan to retrain myself for the real world....... it looks grim!

• Like 2

OP, why border runs?

About the rest, yes we know that this is not a country which encourages foreigners to settle down as an integral part of the society no matter how much they contribute. Always good to have a plan B (where B is not for beer).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

I was then asked," why do I have to go out of the country every 3 months"."

Either you choose to do so, or you don't meet the requirements.

Not always the case, we enjoy the 3 or 4 nights somewhere every 3 months just for the change of scenery etc. Sometimes an out/in if work or whatever gets in the way. 

Having said that this will probably be the last multi and I'll change to extension when it runs out next year. Then it's just a re-entry permit if needed.

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to leave the country every 3 months. I am married to a Thai and have not left the country for almost 9 years.

The last time I left the country was to get a single entry non-o visa. I then applied for a one year extension stay based upon marriage of the 90 day entry from it. Now on my 9th consecutive extension of stay.

I am guessing he has not changed over to a Non-O Marriage extension of visa and is using a straight Non-O that requires a border crossing every 90 days.

9 minutes ago, thaikahuna said:

I am guessing he has not changed over to a Non-O Marriage extension of visa and is using a straight Non-O that requires a border crossing every 90 days.

I assumed that. I was just replying to what I quoted. He might not be aware that he can get a one year extension of stay.

It is not a non-o extension. It is an extension of stay. Visas are not extended.

1.  Marriage is the same process for male or female.

2.  Extension of stay is dependent on male.

3.  For a foreign male there is a financial requirement for extension of stay.

4.  Stays of 90 days or less do not require such financials but only non immigrant visas, which can be issued on basis of registered marriage.

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

We who choose to do so ie non o based on marriage always seem to be bracketed as "don't or can't meet requirements" There are a vast amount of reasons why people choose the non o route. Mine is very very simple I choose to do so it suits my lifestyle I can forget about all the BS described on here weekly with regards to extend based on marriage. 

Op get of the beer won't do you any good in the long run been there done that. Yes your married forget about this obsession about what ifs and sort yourself out otherwise your wife might just up and leave. Good luck.

But doing the extension is a one time each year experience (not weekly) so really a lot less effort than having to plan and make border runs every 90 days or less (and I did that for many years).  Don't base your decision on horror stories here - in the vast majority of cases the process is quick and easy and then you have freedom to take vacations when and if you want rather than it being a requirement.  

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Ideally, the bride's parents should give their daughter a dowry of minimum 400k Baht with the condition that she put it in a fixed deposit account in her husband's name, for him to meet immigration's financial requirements for the one-year extensions of stay.

I doubt that most Thai families have a lazy 400,000 baht they could utilize for such a venture.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

1 hour ago, thaikahuna said:

I am guessing he has not changed over to a Non-O Marriage extension of visa

There is no "non-o marriage extension of visa."  There is an extension of stay based on marriage, which is not an extension of any visa but an extension of the permission to stay in the country, which is exactly what UJ was describing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TerryLH said:

I was then asked," why do I have to go out of the country every 3 months"."

Either you choose to do so, or you don't meet the requirements.

Probably he doesn't know there is a visa called marriage visa or something like that...

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

Ideally, the bride's parents should give their daughter a dowry of minimum 400k Baht with the condition that she put it in a fixed deposit account in her husband's name, for him to meet immigration's financial requirements for the one-year extensions of stay.

yeah and Pigs may fly soon!!!!

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote I have done 9 extension based upon marriage. Only once out of all of those did I have to get something I did not have with me.

A lot your read about people having problems is created by themselves because they forgot something and blamed it on immigration. There is also a lot of hearsay about doing them by people that have never applied for one.

As I wrote Joe been there done it that way it's just not for me. Hanging around for hrs listening to grumpy Farangs slagging everything other than there own stupidity off. Luckily we are all diffrent one size does not fit all. Your happy doing it your way good pleased for you. I'm happy doing it my way just don't like being pidgeon holed by other members who think they know every one else's buisness  and what money you have is all.

Edited by jeab1980

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

difficult to find parents with bahts!!! you might find some with whiskey?

Yes, I agree with the OP wholeheartedly, westerners married to a Thai girl should not have to put up with all this hoop jumping, even the marriage extensions and all the hassle involved and the 90 day reporting is outrageous.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to leave the country every 3 months. I am married to a Thai and have not left the country for almost 9 years.

The last time I left the country was to get a single entry non-o visa. I then applied for a one year extension stay based upon marriage of the 90 day entry from it. Now on my 9th consecutive extension of stay.

That's fine Joe, but I still think there is too much hassle involved been married to a Thai. I have done the extensions and the visa. I know someone personally who in applying for the extensions, had two immigration officials come to his house, then ask for 2000 Bt for "fuel expenses", and only lives about 60 Ks from the immigration office.

I see it as part of the Thai genes in never make anything easy when you can make it hard.

Edited by possum1931

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I know someone personally who in applying for the extensions, had two immigration officials come to his house, then ask for 2000 Bt for "fuel expenses, and only lives about 60 Ks from the immigration office.

Did he pay it ? 2000 baht

• Like 1