UK General Election 2017: Labour to rip up Tory Brexit plan

webfact

General Election 2017: Labour to rip up Tory Brexit plan

LONDON: -- Labour say they would scrap Theresa May's Brexit plans and unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU residents before talks start, if they win power.

While accepting the UK was leaving, Shadow Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer said Labour would press for a different deal prioritising jobs and work rights.

It would also seek an early deal on transitional arrangements to smooth the way for the UK's departure in 2019.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39698465

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-04-25

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Labour says it will tear up the Brexit plans.

Well no worries then as Labour have not a hope in hell of winning the election, with Corbyn as leader.

This sort of sentiment was uttered up to and including election day in the recent US presidential election.

Just now, Fulwell53 said:

This sort of sentiment was uttered up to and including election day in the recent US presidential election.

Sorry but what has the US elections got to do with labour in the UK????

Answer absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Sorry but what has the US elections got to do with labour in the UK????

Answer absolutely nothing.

And right up to the Brexit referendum the polls got it wrong.

People lie to pollsters so as not to appear weak or simply don't want to show their true feelings, even, dare I say, because of loss of face (yes it does exist outside of Thailand!)

4 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Most UK betting shops have slashed the odds on JC becoming PM. Announcing the four extra PH's appeals to voters. 

I wouldn't believe all that fake news published every day in the Tory press. 

That's odd because even the Labour supporting press are reporting on polls giving the Tories a crushing lead.In Wales they appear to be ahead for the first time since the 1850's (yes that's correct not the 1950's).

Do you think it's all just fake news? Do you really think the extra PHs will make a difference? Anyone we shall soon see.My guess is that most will be proved wrong.If enough young voters turn out JC could surprise the pundits, though he can't win.On the other hand there's some compelling evidence that Theresa May's no nonsense non toff approach goes down very well with working class women and that the shambolic JC is a turn off.Buckle up.It's going to be a bumpy ride

Edited by jayboy

16 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

People lie to pollsters so as not to appear weak or simply don't want to show their true feelings, even, dare I say, because of loss of face (yes it does exist outside of Thailand!)

I agree but in the UK context who are the "shy" voters? My hunch is that they are mainly on the Tory side.

34 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

17 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I agree but in the UK context who are the "shy" voters? My hunch is that they are mainly on the Tory side.

Polls only ask a very small number of people how they will vote - and many are 'don't knows'.

IMO its the vote of the 'don't knows' (or not prepared to say) who are likely the reason why pollsters predict incorrectly.

Edited by dick dasterdly

5 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Most UK betting shops have slashed the odds on JC becoming PM. Announcing the four extra PH's appeals to voters. 

I wouldn't believe all that fake news published every day in the Tory press. 

Pure garbage !

Latest odds are 1/16 May, Corbyn 10/1 . Irrespective of media bias , your so called news is demonstrably fake.

Any predictions yet for the outcome of the election?

At todays date I would say Tories will comfortably win with an increase in seats.  The Lib Dems will make ground (hard not to) and Labour will lose more seats.  The SNP will lose some seats to the Conservatives and there will be no coalitions.  As for UKIP, well hopefully they will just fall apart completely.

Obviously I retain the right to change my mind tomorrow :smile:

20 hours ago, pegman said:

Labour should absolutely campaign on a revote. The UK is about to lose the EU financial industry and there needs to be a chance to end the madness.

I don't understand this aversion to democratic decisions, just because they were different than one's own sentiment.

Almost dictatorial.

Perhaps we should have a re-vote on the General Election after it is completed too!

21 hours ago, pegman said:

Labour should absolutely campaign on a revote. The UK is about to lose the EU financial industry and there needs to be a chance to end the madness.

London will never lose the financial industry, been reading the Mirror again?, it will be even stronger as an independent city

I don't understand this aversion to democratic decisions, just because they were different than one's own sentiment.
Almost dictatorial.
Perhaps we should have a re-vote on the General Election after it is completed too!

This is a revote on the last general election. Under the Fixed Term Parliament Act the next GE was due in 2020.

4 hours ago, bartender100 said:

London will never lose the financial industry, been reading the Mirror again?, it will be even stronger as an independent city

No, Bild and it says the new office towers to accommodate it are under construction in Frankfurt presently. There is no way in hell the EU countries would ever allow it to remain in a non-EU country. London will keep branch offices only.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, jayboy said:
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, joecoolfrog said:

......Latest odds are 1/16 May, Corbyn 10/1......

And of course it would be in the interest of the Tories to suggest it is a tight race - so there's no complacency.

Those odds do not suggest a tight race; far from it!

According to OddsChecker, the current best odds available on a Conservative win are 1/16, while those on a Labour win are 14/1.

The worst odds currently available are 1/25 on the Conservatives, 8/1 on Labour.

N.B. For the uninitiated, the better the odds, the more you win (the figure on the left) compared to your stake (the figure on the right).

For example; 1/16 means that if bet £16 you win £1; 14/1 means that if you bet £1 you win £14.

So the worse the odds, the more likely it is that the bookmakers think that selection will win.

11 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Those odds do not suggest a tight race; far from it!

According to OddsChecker, the current best odds available on a Conservative win are 1/16, while those on a Labour win are 14/1.

The worst odds currently available are 1/25 on the Conservatives, 8/1 on Labour.

N.B. For the uninitiated, the better the odds, the more you win (the figure on the left) compared to your stake (the figure on the right).

For example; 1/16 means that if bet £16 you win £1; 14/1 means that if you bet £1 you win £14.

So the worse the odds, the more likely it is that the bookmakers think that selection will win.

Hmmm

I think you'll find that the odds are determined by the bets laid. Bookies opinions are not really relevant. 

46 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Hmmm

I think you'll find that the odds are determined by the bets laid. Bookies opinions are not really relevant. 

Obviously, if a particular runner or result receives a lot of bets then the bookmaker will shorten the odds; they do, after all, want to pay out as little as possible. So the staring price may be shorter than the odds when the customer placed their bet; but they could also be longer.

Most bookmakers offer their customers the option of taking the odds at the time they place their bet or the starting price. Some offer a 'best odds' option which, if taken, means the customer receives the better of the two.

But odds are mainly about probability, and the more probable the bookmaker's odds setters, or traders, believe that a particular result will happen, the shorter, or worse to the customer, the odds on that result.

But then, I work in a bookies, so what do I know?

30 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Obviously, if a particular runner or result receives a lot of bets then the bookmaker will shorten the odds; they do, after all, want to pay out as little as possible. So the staring price may be shorter than the odds when the customer placed their bet; but they could also be longer.

Most bookmakers offer their customers the option of taking the odds at the time they place their bet or the starting price. Some offer a 'best odds' option which, if taken, means the customer receives the better of the two.

But odds are mainly about probability, and the more probable the bookmaker's odds setters, or traders, believe that a particular result will happen, the shorter, or worse to the customer, the odds on that result.

But then, I work in a bookies, so what do I know?

That's interesting! Did not mean to stand on your toes!

BTW, be careful talking about statistics and probabilities on here; it's got me into lots of hot water ?

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Almost dictatorial.

11 hours ago, Orac said:

This is a revote on the last general election. Under the Fixed Term Parliament Act the next GE was due in 2020.

There were 2 General Elections in 1974.