Prawit confirms China submarine purchase done deal

webfact

Prawit confirms China submarine purchase done deal
By The Nation

65604f6d9b503dd7243d90ae835387a1.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan talks to media before he chairs a Cabinet meeting at the Government House on Tuesday.

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan on Tuesday admitted that the Cabinet had approved a Navy proposal to buy a Yuan-class submarine from China for Bt13.5 billion.

Reports in the media said Prawit quietly put the proposal to Cabinet for a decision last Tuesday and instructed the Navy’s commander, Admiral Na Arreenich, to finalise the purchasing contract with the designated Chinese manufacturer soon. 

There was no press conference about the approval being given.

Prawit said he could not remember when the Cabinet approved the project.

“It was passed [by Cabinet] a long time ago. I can’t remember when but I was in the meeting. Why do you [media] need to know when it was approved, or do you want to know how I breathe too?” he said. 

When asked why the Cabinet did not hold a press conference on the deal being approved, Prawit said it was not held because documents related to the project were confidential.

“It’s not unusual. No Cabinet reveals confidential documents because they are related to national strategy,” he said.

He said the purchase of the submarines was necessary for the country as it would help preserve Thailand’s marine natural resources and was part of the Navy’s development. 

The government planned to purchase three Yuan-class S26T submarines at a total cost of Bt36 billion. 

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said earlier that Thailand had been offered a “buy two, get three” submarine deal with China, complete with various weapons systems and after-sales services.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313293

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-25

“It was passed [by Cabinet] a long time ago. I can’t remember when but I was in the meeting. Why do you [media] need to know when it was approved, or do you want to know how I breathe too?” he said"

Such arrogance and contempt for media and everyone else. He does realise the money for subs comes from the tax payer. So the tax payer has a right to know when billions of baht are being wasted on boys' toys. Or is that only in a democracy? 

As for the breathing comment, that would be shooting fish in a barrel to make a joke about that. 

16 minutes ago, TVGerry said:

“buy two, get three”

What a deal! I thought you could only get this kind of deals with shampoo and washing detergent! :clap2:

Thailand did the same last time they bought submarines (from Mitsubishi Japan) in 1938. They asked for a bid of three submarines and bought 4

7 hours ago, TVGerry said:

“buy two, get three”

What a deal! I thought you could only get this kind of deals with shampoo and washing detergent! :clap2:

The shampoo and detergent would be far more useful..............:cheesy:

What a waste of taxpayers money In 10 years they will be dry docked for lack of maintenance That i am sure of .

On top of that why in gods name does Thailand need subs? :cheesy:Oh Yes the russian are trolling the Thai shores for 

convert stuff 

Just dock them near the aircraft carrier that doesn't even have matching aircraft. 13.5 billion baht could have made a lot of difference to lots of people in Thailand. But, then again, I'm American and should be used to the government squandering money on the military.

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

“It was passed [by Cabinet] a long time ago. I can’t remember when but I was in the meeting. Why do you [media] need to know when it was approved, or do you want to know how I breathe too?” he said"

Such arrogance and contempt for media and everyone else. He does realise the money for subs comes from the tax payer. So the tax payer has a right to know when billions of baht are being wasted on boys' toys. Or is that only in a democracy? 

As for the breathing comment, that would be shooting fish in a barrel to make a joke about that. 

He has less tolerance for answering questions than any other politician. Still in generalisimo mode where nothing is ever questioned.

Look at how the Hawaii trip spend was brushed aside. 

He's also the one saying the country needs military commanders, just like himself, commanding it. 

Reminds me of the old European aristocracy.

55 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Just dock them near the aircraft carrier that doesn't even have matching aircraft. 13.5 billion baht could have made a lot of difference to lots of people in Thailand. But, then again, I'm American and should be used to the government squandering money on the military.

think americas investment will get used soon on north korea so not a complete waste. tons of new equipment about to be tested.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

I had one of these when I was a kid Looooooong time ago Just ad baking soda and watch them Go Lots of fun in the bathtub

Of course, now you have a different kind of fun in the bathtub.:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

What a waste of taxpayers money In 10 years they will be dry docked for lack of maintenance That i am sure of .

On top of that why in gods name does Thailand need subs? :cheesy:Oh Yes the russian are trolling the Thai shores for 

convert stuff 

Yes , maintenance is very high

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“It was passed [by Cabinet] a long time ago. I can’t remember when but I was in the meeting. Why do you [media] need to know when it was approved, or do you want to know how I breathe too?” he said. 

Curious was this before you stated your not buying them?? I see the military cut back on their tank purchases from 98 to 60 citing verbatim "insufficient funds" in the famous newspaper whose name is unmentionable. I think the Chinese should do a credit check on Thailand or ship them C.O.D. Could this be a sign of further problems in Hublandia

On 4/25/2017 at 6:53 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

think americas investment will get used soon on north korea so not a complete waste. tons of new equipment about to be tested.

Yep, starting to look that way. Wonder if I should be booking a ticket out of Japan soon.