Reports of North Korea artillery drill as U.S. submarine makes South Korea port call

webfact

Reports of North Korea artillery drill as U.S. submarine makes South Korea port call

By Ju-min Park

r13.jpg

The USS Michigan, an Ohio-class nuclear-powered submarine, arrives at a naval base in Busan, South Korea, April 25, 2017. Cho Jueong-ho/Yonhap via REUTERS

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea put on a massive live-fire drill on Tuesday to mark the foundation of its military, a media report said, as a U.S. submarine docked in South Korea in a show of force amid growing concern over Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programmes.

The port call by the USS Michigan came as a U.S. aircraft carrier strike group steams for Korean waters and as the top nuclear envoys from South Korea, Japan, and the United States met in Tokyo to discuss the North's refusal to give up its nuclear programme.

Fears have risen in recent weeks that North Korea could soon conduct another nuclear test or missile launch in defiance of United Nations sanctions.

South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported that the North appeared to have deployed a large number of long-range artillery units in the region of Wonsan on its east coast on Tuesday, conducting a large-scale live firing drill.

The report, citing an unidentified government source, said the live-fire exercise was possibly supervised by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The South's Defence Ministry could not immediately confirm the report.

North Korea defiantly said in a state media commentary marking the 85th anniversary of the foundation of the Korean People's Army's that its military was prepared "to bring to closure the history of U.S. scheming and nuclear blackmail".

"There is no limit to the strike power of the People's Army armed with our style of cutting-edge military equipment including various precision and miniaturised nuclear weapons and submarine-launched ballistic missiles," the official Rodong Sinmun newspaper said in a front-page editorial.

South Korea's Navy said it was conducting a live-fire exercise with U.S. Navy destroyers on Tuesday in waters west of the Korean peninsula and would soon join the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group approaching the region.

The carrier group was sent to the region as a warning to North Korea and a show of solidarity with U.S. allies.

Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshide Suga, told a media briefing that China's nuclear envoy, Wu Dawei, would hold talks with Japanese Foreign Ministry officials on Tuesday. A ministry source said Wu was likely to meet his Japanese nuclear counterpart on Wednesday.

Emerging from talks with his South Korean and Japanese counterparts, the U.S. envoy for North Korea policy, Joseph Yun, said: "As we discuss these things all our steps and every part of them will be in coordination and consultation with our partners."

RARE SENATE BRIEFING

Matching the flurry of diplomatic and military activity in North Asia, the State Department in Washington said on Monday U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson would chair a special ministerial meeting of the U.N. Security Council on North Korea on Friday.

Tillerson, along with Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and Joint Chiefs chairman General Joseph Dunford, would also hold a rare briefing for the entire U.S. Senate on North Korea on Wednesday, Senate aides said.

On Monday, U.S. President Donald Trump called for tougher new U.N. sanctions on Pyongyang, saying the North was a global threat and "a problem that we have to finally solve".

"The status quo in North Korea is also unacceptable," Trump told a meeting with the 15 U.N. Security Council ambassadors, including China and Russia, at the White House. "The council must be prepared to impose additional and stronger sanctions on North Korean nuclear and ballistic missile programs."

South Korean and U.S. officials have feared for some time that a sixth North Korean nuclear test or the latest in a string of missile launches could be imminent.

"SERIOUSLY MISREAD"

The official China Daily said on Tuesday it was time for Pyongyang and Washington to take a step back from harsh rhetoric and heed the voices of reason calling for a peaceful resolution.

"Judging from their recent words and deeds, policymakers in Pyongyang have seriously misread the U.N. sanctions, which are aimed at its nuclear/missile provocations, not its system or leadership," the newspaper said in an editorial.

"They are at once perilously overestimating their own strength and underestimating the hazards they are brewing for themselves," it said.

In a phone conversation with Trump on Monday, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for all sides to exercise restraint.

As the carrier group drills continued, the USS Michigan arrived in the South Korean port of Busan on Tuesday, the U.S. Navy said. The nuclear-powered submarine is built to carry and launch ballistic missiles and Tomahawk cruise missiles.

As well as his military show of force, Trump has also sought to pressure China to do more to rein in its nuclear-armed neighbour.

China, North Korea's sole major ally, has in turn been angered by Pyongyang's belligerence, as well as its nuclear and missile programmes.

Angered by the approach of the carrier group, which could arrive within days, North Korea said the deployment of the USS Carl Vinson was "an extremely dangerous act by those who plan a nuclear war to invade".

(Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in BEIJING, Kaori Kaneko, Linda Sieg, Elaine Lies and Tim Kelly in TOKYO, and Steve Holland, Matt Spetalnick, Susan Heavey and David Brunnstrom in WASHINGTON; Writing by Jack Kim; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-25

3 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

All this willy waving is going to end up in a fight that has a very unpredictable outcome in terms of what damage N Korea can cause before they may be suppressed.

It wouldn't surprise me if NK blew themselves up fooling around with stuff....:stoner:

Unfortunately much ultimately depends on Trump's latest approval ratings, how his fragile ego reacts and whichever way the wind blows at any given moment.

Good news: Thankfully one out of several latest polls finally showed Trump slightly over 50% approval (bump courtesy recent wag-the-dog shows of force)

Bad news: His overall approval rating is the worst in history,
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html#polls

Also, Trump appears to be taunting N Korea (perhaps 'hoping' they quickly follow through with another nuke or missile test?) 'When asked what would happen if North Korea tests another missile or nuclear device, Haley told NBC: "I think then the president steps in and decides what's going to happen."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/us-north-korea-kim-jong-un-war-nuclear-test-ambassador-un-nikki-haley-a7699306.html

Meanwhile, China  is warning North Korea against conducting another nuclear test, saying that would likely propel events "past the point of no return." (XI probably realises Trump is both willing and eager)
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/latest-north-koreas-capital-quiet-army-anniversary-46998272

Note Trump summoned all 100 Senators to the Whitehouse for the briefing. Wouldn't it make more sense for him to just go over to Capitol Hill instead of making 100 come to him? Ah well, the Donald is in charge and will do it his way, which  depends on polls, his fragile ego and whichever way the wind blows.

speaking of which - Upper air wind currents map:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-201.93,50.35,596/loc=100.957,12.027

It's all down to how the brain and fragile ego behind these little fingers reacts:
Trump_0.jpg?itok=4C1kf1Hg

The Way The Wind Blows, sign of the times:
http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858660806/

Good luck all.

More signs:

Angry Trump lashes out over approval rating
The president continues to rant about new numbers that show he is approaching his 100th day with the lowest approval rating in more than 70 years. 'Totally wrong'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fumes-supposedly-fake-polls-giving-dismal-approval-rating-131804187.html

Trump taunts North Korea
Trump told a reception of conservative journalists that Kim wasn't the strong leader he likes to portray himself as.
"I'm not so sure he's so strong like he says he is, I'm not so sure at all," Trump told the reception
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/25/asia/north-korea-donald-trump-kim-senate/

Edited by sujoop

I would be shocked, but not surprised if we see some kind of attack on N Korea before Saturday. It is a sure fire way of getting Trumps defence budget, wall, healthcare and anything else he wants done by the 100 day mark approved. Trump needs a war fast and I believe he thinks this will be easier than taking on more of ISIS.  

Just now, Andaman Al said:

I would be shocked, but not surprised if we see some kind of attack on N Korea before Saturday. It is a sure fire way of getting Trumps defence budget, wall, healthcare and anything else he wants done by the 100 day mark approved. Trump needs a war fast and I believe he thinks this will be easier than taking on more of ISIS.  

He's not going to do anything. Just bluster.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

If he were sane and had a strong knowledgeable Sec of State who could reign in the gun ho Generals (for whom Trump is a dream come true), at the security meetings, I would believe you. But he isn't and he doesn't have, so I think we are in for trouble that the world does not need. Buy your Raytheon shares quick!

if I was NK, i would send large shipments of weapons to Taliban, Houthis in Yemen and other groups in the ME, it will make US-NATO occupied for a while ! send large batch of surface to air missile and watch out the US coming out for the negotiation table !

Edited by heroKK

2 minutes ago, heroKK said:

if I was NK, i would send large shipments of weapons to Taliban and other group in the ME, it will make US-NATO occupied for a while ! send large batch of surface to air missile and watch out the US coming out for the negotiation table !

Gawd............facepalm.gif.34b19e737d31f3726cc119ab52d244e8.gif

16 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

i  really hope so because I can't see Iran sitting back and allowing its ally to be attacked............... and we all know who Iran is dying to attack and when they in turn retaliate then the fireworks will really start:sad:

The Audacity Of Silence On Possible Iran-North Korea Nuclear Ties

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claudiarosett/2016/12/15/the-audacity-of-silence-on-possible-iran-north-korea-nuclear-ties/#67bbf41b5c9c

Edited by midas

14 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

I have been thinking the same. Lets hope and pray we are both wrong. Personally if an attack comes I think it will be out of Whittman in Missouri with the B-2 Spirit stealth. The "armada" will be just backup or cleanup. 

6 minutes ago, midas said:

i  really hope so because I can't see Iran sitting back and allowing its ally to be attacked............... and we all know who Iran is dying to attack and when they in turn retaliate then the fireworks will really start:sad:

The Audacity Of Silence On Possible Iran-North Korea Nuclear Ties

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claudiarosett/2016/12/15/the-audacity-of-silence-on-possible-iran-north-korea-nuclear-ties/#67bbf41b5c9c

Sure. Iran is going to sacrifice itslef in a war over North Korea. You might be able to sell that to Trump but not to anyone with just a little knowledge of how the world works. And these  ties between Iran and North Korea are merely alleged by a very right wing journalist.

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I have been thinking the same. Lets hope and pray we are both wrong. Personally if an attack comes I think it will be out of Whittman in Missouri with the B-2 Spirit stealth. The "armada" will be just backup or cleanup. 

That would be most likely with the 'Armada' providing close air support. I hope they have a lot more of those MOAB's with them to take care of the rumoured 80+ tunnels the N Koreans have dug into S Korea. Imagine the hellish chaos of 100K N Korean troops popping up in the middle of population centres in S Korea.  :shock1:

2 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

That would be most likely with the 'Armada' providing close air support. I hope they have a lot more of those MOAB's with them to take care of the rumoured 80+ tunnels the N Koreans have dug into S Korea. Imagine the hellish chaos of 100K N Korean troops popping up in the middle of population centres in S Korea.  :shock1:

Al your imagination tops mine. 

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Sure. Iran is going to sacrifice itslef in a war over North Korea. You might be able to sell that to Trump but not to anyone with just a little knowledge of how the world works. And these  ties between Iran and North Korea are merely alleged by a very right wing journalist.

At least if I'm wrong there hasn't been any damage but if you're wrong (just like America was in the Vietnam War) then its :hit-the-fan:

1 hour ago, midas said:

At least if I'm wrong there hasn't been any damage but if you're wrong (just like America was in the Vietnam War) then its :hit-the-fan:

Well there are intel rumours that Iran had discussions with N Korea to continue 'its' nuclear research program. A match made in heaven really. If Iran paid N Korea to do the work that the UN will not allow it (Iran) to do and as a result stopped the sanctions, thereby releasing billions of dollars in oil revenues. In 5 years or so, N Korea gives whatever Iran paid for and boom! All eyes on Iran so it cannot continue research but does so through N Korea who nobody will bother with. Both countries hate the US with a passion. So yes Midas, if you are right then its time to stock up on rice, canned fish and bottled water :wink:

It is stunning how Trump's supporters/defenders (evidently comprised mostly of John Wayne / meets Archie Bunker types) appear to have as simplistic an outlook as their equally vacuous leader with nary a thought nor care of consequences. In fact, most appear to be relishing in anticipation of any big bangs... (Trump needs another ratings bump, his base needs fortifying doses of red-meat)

The first 100 days has been like following scripts from satirical cartoon shows like 'American Dad',', except this *hit is real... When a reality show star and his unwitting satirical-cartoonesque supporters merge in real life, the very worst outcomes are not just highly possible, rather highly probable.

It's a sad day one must pin their hopes not on the leader of the free world, but on the leader of China to broker a retreat from the brinkmanship displayed by 2 immature, narcissistic, man-child leaders with fragile egos. Here's hoping.

Edited by sujoop

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Is this the "very powerful" submarines that Trump was describing more "powerful" than the Carl Vinson. 

Well it's an Ohio Class but this one is SSGN with Tomahawk guided missiles. You won't see an Ohio Class SSBN with Trident IIs ready to go (each with 12 indepenently targettable warheads). Good sabre rattling though ?

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Well it's an Ohio Class but this one is SSGN with Tomahawk guided missiles. You won't see an Ohio Class SSBN with Trident IIs ready to go (each with 12 indepenently targettable warheads). Good sabre rattling though ?

I hope the tomahawks are better than the ones used in Syria. Are they nukes? Trident is an English sub is it not??

12 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I hope the tomahawks are better than the ones used in Syria. Are they nukes? Trident is an English sub is it not??

No, Trident is the missile system which is American. The British have Vanquard Class ballistic missile submarines which incorporate Trident as a strategic nuclear deterrent. The war heads on these are British built - they WILL work! These things could be launched from 4,000 miles away.

USA uses OHIO Class as SSBNs but converted a few to SSGNs with 154 Tomahawks. I don't know if these are fitted with tactical nuclear warheads or not.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump did something insane. Seoul would be annihilated for sure. 

Better to do something smarter and with the Chinese.

Ask Kissinger!

Edited by Grouse

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

No, Trident is the missile system which is American. The British have Vanquard Class ballistic missile submarines as a strategic nuclear deterrent. The war heads on these are British built - they WILL work! These things could be launched from 4,000 miles away.

USA uses OHIO Class as SSBNs but converted a few to SSGNs with 154 Tomahawks. I don't know if these are fitted with tactical nuclear warheads or not.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump did something insane. Seoul would be annihilated for sure. 

Better to do something smarter and with the Chinese.

Ask Kissinger!

Thanks for the explanation appreciate it.