It never rains but it pours for Chinese bag snatch victims in Pattaya

webfact

It never rains but it pours for Chinese bag snatch victims in Pattaya

2am.jpg

Picture: Siamchon news

PATTAYA: -- A Chinese tourist couple suffered a double whammy on the mean streets of Pattaya yesterday - after they lost all their money and passports in a bag snatch they crashed into the back of a red plate Mercedes Benz.

Police and medics were soon on the scene outside the Giffarine company on Sukhumvit Road where the husband and wife were in a state of shock from road rash and head injuries.

Two men riding two motorcycles had been traveling near them. One man grabbed a bag containing 30,000 yuan (valued at 150,000 baht), an iPhone and the couple's passports, reported Siamchon News.

But the couple gave chase and tried to grab back the bag further down the road.

However, the accomplice on the other bike cut in front of them causing them to lose control of their Honda Click and crash into the back of a red plate black S500e Mercedes Benz.

The thieves escaped without a trace in the heavy traffic and rain.

The tourists - who were not named - were treated at the scene then taken to Banglamung Hospital.

They told reporters they had lost all their money and didn't even have any to pay their hospital bills.

Siamchon News reported that there are many motorcycle snatch teams working at the resort with different modus operandi.

Some work alone but some work in teams as in this case with one grabbing the bag and the other making sure that the victim or victims crash should they give chase.

Source: Siamchon News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-27

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Is there some significance to the Mercedez having a Red Plate? 

It suggests it is a new vehicle.

Sad for the tourists, I may have prefered to just hit either of the bikes.

45 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Why they need to take all there money and passports out with them seems a bit stupid

I tend to disagree, remember the perception is that tourists must carry their passports at all times in Thailand. Also most hotel safes are fairly low rent and I certainly would be reluctant to leave my holiday money in their care.

Maybe the hotel industry here needs to look at ensuring the security of guest's posessions and providing a suitable passport copy.

I feel sorry for these two. Their holiday ruined.

I asked Pattaya Thai tour operator 2 days ago about Chinese business. His reply "none". 

Most business come from Europe, Vietnam, US. 

Very rare to find independent Chinese tourists.

It's a shame what's happened. Will put others off. 

Living and growing up in Detroit. Michigan  we were always aware of our surroundings.

Til this day...I've  never encountered much events as these Chinese have

I've encountered more situations in Shanghai than anywhere else as far as pickpockets.

Edited by Leicamera

tourists should know  .....  when you walk along any street have your money & passport ( if you must have it )   all tucked in the front of your pants.

If you need to carry a shoulder bag then just put make up and minor items of little value inside ....  however a bag strap being wrenched can severely injure your arm and shoulder when yanked with force so best not to have.

Don't have gold.

Little cash on hand.

Definitely no credit cards.

When walking always walk against the flow of traffic so you can see whats coming.

If riding or as a passenger, never have bags hanging or anything that can be grabbed.

1 hour ago, LammyTS1 said:

I asked Pattaya Thai tour operator 2 days ago about Chinese business. His reply "none". 

Most business come from Europe, Vietnam, US. 

Very rare to find independent Chinese tourists.

It's a shame what's happened. Will put others off. 

There are plenty independant Chinese tourists. The main point of travelling independantly is no need to follow a tour operator's schedule and just do your own thing. Everything can be booked online. Chinese students study at universities accross the globe for years at a time, so a holiday in Pattaya isn't going to phase them.

1 hour ago, tj916 said:

Their problems may not be over.

If it was a hired bike they are probably going to be given a bill for damage to the bike and the Merc which isn't likely to be cheap.

Feel sorry for the pair.

The merc can be repaired on the owners insurance if necessary.

11 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Why they need to take all there money and passports out with them seems a bit stupid

Not a whole lot worse than leaving them in what passes for a hotel safe.  Damned if you do, screwed if you don't.

Edit: I never leave anything in my hotel that I can't afford to have stolen.

Edited by impulse

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

tourists should know  .....  when you walk along any street have your money & passport ( if you must have it )   all tucked in the front of your pants.

If you need to carry a shoulder bag then just put make up and minor items of little value inside ....  however a bag strap being wrenched can severely injure your arm and shoulder when yanked with force so best not to have.

Don't have gold.

Little cash on hand.

Definitely no credit cards.

When walking always walk against the flow of traffic so you can see whats coming.

If riding or as a passenger, never have bags hanging or anything that can be grabbed.

I have a zipperred pocket sewn on the inside of my pant's waistband. I keep any valuables there, except for coins and perhaps a couple hundred baht for quick use, and I never wear jewelry.  I've never had a problem..