Producers, importers and distributors of internet TV boxes must get permits

webfact

Producers, importers and distributors of internet TV boxes must get permits

2604003-1024x576.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has issued an announcement requiring producers, importers and distributers of Internet TV boxes to get permits from the broadcasting regulator or face two-year imprisonment and/or a maximum fine of two million baht.

The announcement which was published in the Royal Gazette said that internet TV boxes which were manufactured, imported or distributed in the country such as Media Box, Android Box, Apple TV Box, TV Stick and Chromecast were capable of accessing to TV programmes in IPTV/OTT format.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/producers-importers-distributors-internet-tv-boxes-must-get-permits/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-27

The line about other peoples intellectual property rights is a poor excuse. I would expect the overwhelming majority of people using a box to be watching international content, which is watchable, unlike Thai TV. This is just a way to grab more money, because the licence for sellers is not going to be free.

"permits", this will merely create/generate MORE corruption and profits for the purveyors of corruption based economy starting with the customs folks down at the airport. Experience tells me these permitted items will filter thru after a little bribery compensation action. End result, prices for "permitted" items increase.

The answer to the disturbing question of kids: are we there yet?

Quote:

“It is the absolute right of the state to supervise the formation of public opinion”

3rd Reich Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels

Edited by Lupatria

5 hours ago, Sphere said:

TurdVisions must be really hurting due to fleeing subscribers. :thumbsup: 

CP are having a good run at the moment. This new rule will help True and the clamp down on street food will boost 7-11 sales. Wonder what else they have planned??

The next step will for the purchasers of said boxes to have to register themselves with the NBTC at the time of purchase, just as we now have to do when buying a SIM card.

It is so sad, and pathetic, what is happening to this country.

My s7 edge and lenovo think pad both have kodi , the ability to watch tv, leap tall buildings, and are faster than a speeding bullet, where do i get my permit,  the boys at tuk com just looked at each other.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

So it's not legal to buy one online from banggood.com?

Yes it is legal if you are a buyer.

It is also legal if you are a user.

You must be registered if you are a producer, importer, or distributor.

23 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What about PC's,I watch  all kinds of TV on my various PC's, 

when they realise this they will move on blocking the feeds.

You are not a producer, importer, or distributor... therefore exempt.

Reminds me of the ancient Persian emperor who ordered his soldiers to whip the waves because the sea would not obey his order to stop the high tide from coming in.  You either embrace change or you go backwards. There is no standing still. Rushing headlong into the 19th century.

I wonder what its like living in a country and you cannot read or see anything from outside the border

NK I expect is the answer with all its citizens brain washed into thing they are the best.

They are at one thing believing properganda that also endangers the rest of the world via their road map to hell?

8 hours ago, Encid said:

But buying online from hongkong means also importing it, no?

On the face of it this seems aimed at restricting/curtailing or controlling non-traditional media streaming (local authorities call this OTT) in the same ways as traditional broadcast TV (OTA, cable, satellite).

But this NBTC edict is so vaguely worded so as to be almost unenforceable, or it could be enforced just on certain "targets"?

It smells like a TrueVisions shot across the AIS bow. However TrueVisions is streaming content via their mobile app, and over their fiber broadband network, so it may have to be selective enforcement.

TrueVisions is the favored local party.

AIS is the "foreign" party.

Edited by mtls2005

19 hours ago, Encid said:

I may be wrong, but i think if you buy just a single box from abroad, you are considered an importer.

I know that is how it works with radio equipment.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

I may be wrong, but i think if you buy just a single box from abroad, you are considered an importer.

I know that is how it works with radio equipment.

I doubt very much that it would apply to the import of a single box.