how to say thank you?let people out ?

Joinaman

Just a quick question

how do you say thank you to other drivers, like when they let you out, or let you pass

at home we put up our hand , or flash the indicators to say thank you, but not sure over here

Also, what is the correct way to indicate to someone else , that you are letting them out, or letting them through ?

At home we flash the headlights, but here it appears to mean i"m coming through, move over or stop

Although not seen anybody say thank you to me so far, lol

Common Thai folks actually drive politely, I've always seen them wave hand or nods to say sorry or grateful, even with their dark anti-glare films no one could see them really.

And they don't lower their windows 'cause cold air escapes. Not like me I drive my ST205 always windows lowered, ac off :-D

Edited by Coremouse

45 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

good post. yes, in the UK you'd flash your lights but dont want to do that here. 

I normally wave but as i've got slightly tinted windows i'm not sure the other driver would see anyway. Still, I guess it's the thought that counts!

Flashing here means I'm coming through and don't pull out in front of me, I ain't gonna stop:) I usually give a nod or a wave. 

In the U.K. Flashing headlights means the same as here in Thailand, basically a warning 'I am here' in the same way you might use your horn.

Though not all of its rules represent law, the Highway Code states "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users". Drivers warning others about speed traps have been fined in the past for "misuse of headlights".

Headlight flashing in the United Kingdom is often used as a signal that the driver flashing you is offering to let you go first. Such use is however strongly discouraged because it can lead to accidents where the driver flashing has not seen the approach of another road user.Using it to indicate that you are coming through and the other driver must wait, could lead to an accident.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Flashing here means I'm coming through and don't pull out in front of me, I ain't gonna stop:) I usually give a nod or a wave. 

Any Thai driver that flashes his lights at me to tell me to get out of his way, get's the middle finger, because I am never in his way anyway, yes I know he may do a u turn and come after me, maybe even with a gun, but I won't be bullied by anyone, besides riding a motorbike, I can go places where he can't.

53 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Any Thai driver that flashes his lights at me to tell me to get out of his way, get's the middle finger, because I am never in his way anyway, yes I know he may do a u turn and come after me, maybe even with a gun, but I won't be bullied by anyone, besides riding a motorbike, I can go places where he can't.

Crazy reply in so many aspects.

Middle finger?  death wish .

so flashing my lights means i"m coming through !!!

NOT "im letting you out / pass ?

what does full beam mean then ?

is it OK to use the hazards to say thank you, like i would on the English motorways to trucks, etc

Having heavy tinted windows means they cant see if i put my hand up to say thank you, so would like something that they can see and understand, or maybe i just ignore them like they do to me ?

59 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

so flashing my lights means i"m coming through !!!

NOT "im letting you out / pass ?

what does full beam mean then ?

is it OK to use the hazards to say thank you, like i would on the English motorways to trucks, etc

Having heavy tinted windows means they cant see if i put my hand up to say thank you, so would like something that they can see and understand, or maybe i just ignore them like they do to me ?

Hazards are usually used for that reason...often when I see something up ahead and need to slow quickly. I will put them on as well. I think the new honda civic does that automatically on hard braking. Nice feature. Always a good idea whenever you need to stop on a busy road too. The more light to warn drunk drivers/riders the better:)

Extend your hand up in thanks; wave it to allow them to manoeuvre. Though tinted windows make it as likely they won't see as will.

And if you are referring to flashing lights in such as the UK, it is illegal to flash them for anything other than an emergency. Here, it means whatever you want it to mean, a meaning that the other driver will probably misconstrue, anyway.

I've lived and driven in Thailand for 12 years and try to adopt a passive style on the roads. I can't remember having seen any other driver (Thai and Farang) ever give any form of acknowledgment in response to me giving way to them. Sadly, it appears to be a 'me, me , me first' mentality on the roads in LOS.

Whilst the standard of driving and the element of selfishness precludes a great deal of politenesss on the roads I find that there are still a reasonable number of drivers who acknowledge your politeness in letting them in or through. 

If on the motorway and you you get stuck behind the inevitable outer lane hogger a quick flash of the headlights as you approach him may waken him up and get him to move to the left,

If driving in traffic ( therefore slowly) I will always hit the window  button to allow me to thank or acknowledge any form of etiquette shown by raising the palm of my hand in the well recognised manner of thanks. 

If forced to cut over numerous lanes of traffic due to poor navigation advice from the current Mrs D Lord or the cruddy road layout, much better results are achieved if you lower your window hang your arm out indicating you need to cross the lane(s) and try to catch the other driver(s) eye. Never fails that one.

motorcycle drivers will give you a cursory nod of thanks which is far preferable than taking their hands off the handlebars, car drivers (indig) generally nod and sometimes wave ( though that is pretty rare as it draws attention to them)  when acknowledging an act of politeness from another motorist. 

The sad thing is that it is all too rare an occurrence.