Loud Neighbors! What to do?

miraz16

My partner and I have been living in Phuket for almost 2 months now. We rent in a nice neighborhood with single-family homes. Our next door neighbors are very loud. They are Thai national and don't speak any English. Their dogs bark/howl all day and night. Their children scream and cry just about as much as the dogs.  It's getting really tiring and irritating as we both suffer from frequent migraines. We really don't want to be "those kind of neighbors" but we're at our wit's end. How can we address this touchy situation without being offensive? Any tips/suggestions are most welcome! 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same way you do in any country (I don't understand why everyone on here thinks Thai has different processes). If you're too afraid to do it face to face then you can leave a note. If that doesn't work, then you can take the matter up with either the head of village or the municipality (if indeed it really is a nuisance case like you claim). 

Edited by wildewillie89

You are best looking for new accommodation,as nothing is going to

change at least in the long run,if you can find anyone in authority to

do something for you ,it will not last.few weeks later same,same.

regards worgeordie

Dog barking  and kids screaming, you're luck they don't use boom boxes for their

loud music and have streaming relatives coming for a drinks every night,

what can be done? nothing much, move or pray for them to move...

This is what happens. If it is a legit case you go to your public health officer under 'nuisance law' at your Tessaban (but it is dependent on how active or lazy the officer is if they act on it or not). They will then go to investigate the house in question. If they find your complaint is legitimate they will officially warn the house. If the house does not comply with the warning the official will call the police and as long as the house keeps on not complying the house will be fined on a daily basis. If you get other neighbours on your side to make the complaint with you, obviously it will be more pressure for the officer to act on the case. 

1 hour ago, miraz16 said:

Haha! I might find a nice full bag of something from the barkers on my front stoop the next morning if I do that.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You might find a lot worse than that.  Try talking to your landlord (especially if they are Thai) and see if they can help.

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Do what I did: On a very quiet night, after they go to bed, have someone drive by on a bike and throw those super long fireworks that go on forever into their garden. 

It will keep them wondering, in silence.

NAUGHTY...........but I like it :clap2:

2 hours ago, miraz16 said:

There is a one year lease in effect, with 10 months left. Can't just pick up and move unfortunately. 

Leaseso mean nothing In Thailand not worth the paper there written on. 

I would contact your Landlord tell him the problem let him try to sort it (don't hold your breath). After a week contact him again and this time tell him as far as your concerned you can not live there. And you are giving notice. You will lose your deposit for sure but rather that than what your putting up with now. Lesson next time when looking for  rented accommodation always go at a time when neibours are likely to be in. There's plenty of vacant properties to chose from.

Edited by jeab1980

If it was one barking dog or one loud kid you would stand a chance of getting something done about it.

With multiple dogs that they haven't trained, and multiple kids which they haven't trained, unfortunately I agree with the consensus - move and sacrifice the deposit which I hope wasn't too many months.

But even if the deposit is a lot - is it worth 10 more months of what you describe? I wouldn't be able to stand it for the 2 months you've been there so far, let alone a full year.

Before renting, I've parked outside at night and listened to the neighborhood and the neighbors, same during the day.

Edited by JimmyJ

I have a similar situation and I've been in the same house for 11 years. A Thai woman and a Russian guy moved in a couple years ago next door. Had two yappy dogs, she backed her car over one, then got two more. She also has about 6 cats. She's never home! Why in the hell do you have 3 dogs and 6 cats and you are never there to take care of them.  My other neighbors hate her and always say; how can you stand those yapping dogs?

One day a coupe of years ago I had it with her. I ripped into her as Thais don't like confrontation. She runs away now when I come over to talk to her farang boyfriend or husband (poor guy) now. At least he's ok and says hi to everyone. She never did say hi to anyone. I complained and my neighbors did as well to the eldest daughter of my landlord who owns the land and house they live in and she was no help. She never is any help unless there's some money in it for her. Her older brother in law seems to have taken care of it this year. They were driving him crazy too! The dogs are still there but at least they are a lot quieter.

In your case with kids too, I would move! Thais love their kids, but their dogs, not so much!  Now when I've had enough of their noise, I just crank up my stereo until I can't hear them anymore! It seems to work. 

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I have a similar situation and I've been in the same house for 11 years. A Thai woman and a Russian guy moved in a couple years ago next door. Had two yappy dogs, she backed her car over one, then got two more. She also has about 6 cats. She's never home! Why in the hell do you have 3 dogs and 6 cats and you are never there to take care of them.  My other neighbors hate her and always say; how can you stand those yapping dogs?

One day a coupe of years ago I had it with her. I ripped into her as Thais don't like confrontation. She runs away now when I come over to talk to her farang boyfriend or husband (poor guy) now. At least he's ok and says hi to everyone. She never did say hi to anyone. I complained and my neighbors did as well to the eldest daughter of my landlord who owns the land and house they live in and she was no help. She never is any help unless there's some money in it for her. Her older brother in law seems to have taken care of it this year. They were driving him crazy too! The dogs are still there but at least they are a lot quieter.

In your case with kids too, I would move! Thais love their kids, but their dogs, not so much!  Now when I've had enough of their noise, I just crank up my stereo until I can't hear them anymore! It seems to work. 

Good luck!

If it happens again just give your landlord a choice, either he evicts the rowdy tenant or you will move out, if you have been a good tenant for 11 years i know who i would choose to keep as a tenant if i was the landlord

Thailand is tough when it comes to this.  I had a home built 7 years ago and everything was fine and there was just 1 lot left behind us and I told my wife I am afraid of what will move in there.  Good reasons for my fears.  House is the center of attraction for all who want to come over.  Karaoke until 3:00 AM no problem.  5 barking dogs, especially at night.  Local police don't care either.  Say there is nothing I can do.  Feel sorry for anyone in this situation and there are a lot of us.

21 hours ago, miraz16 said:

There is a one year lease in effect, with 10 months left. Can't just pick up and move unfortunately. 

Tell your landlord about your situation. They might be able to address the situation for you. They most likely won't but it's worth a try isn't it? At least your landlord will understand you are unhappy with the situation. There must be some onus for them to at least keeping their income paying tennents. If your landlord has half a brain they..... oh wait a minute.

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

If it happens again just give your landlord a choice, either he evicts the rowdy tenant or you will move out, if you have been a good tenant for 11 years i know who i would choose to keep as a tenant if i was the landlord

Yes but you have common sense and logic....

21 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Stand in their garden with a white sheet over your head in the middle of the night making wailing noises, they will be gone the next day.shit scared of ghosts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That is an excellent suggestion also find the local witch doctor to put a curse on them, may cost a few sheckles but guaranteed results.

22 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

The same way you do in any country (I don't understand why everyone on here thinks Thai has different processes). If you're too afraid to do it face to face then you can leave a note. If that doesn't work, then you can take the matter up with either the head of village or the municipality (if indeed it really is a nuisance case like you claim). 

(I don't understand why everyone on here thinks Thai has different processes). ''      :cheesy:

21 hours ago, miraz16 said:

Ask the your landlord for assistance (which will fail, but he will at least be put on notice).  Then walk away from your deposit.  2 months rent is not worth your peace of mind.  Start looking for a new place TODAY so when you do pull the trigger you can do it quickly and it will be a good motivator for you to see what options are out there.  I broke a lease recently for different reasons than you.  Twist of fate, the new landlord asked if I could "please" move into the residence 2 months early rent free so the house would be occupied.  That would have offset any deposit loss on the previous residence (which there was not due to other circumstances).  Long story short, I left my nightmare and got my dream home 2 months rent free.  I'm in Phuket also, if can assist further feel free to PM.  Good luck.

The main reason I would never "buy" a property in Thailand.

When renting you can move away from bad neighbors but if you "own" the property

it can be an ongoing nightmare if you can't sell the place.

Having lived a short time in a Thai village I think Thai people are totally immune to noise.

I couldn't put up with crowing roosters at 3 am, yapping dogs, savage dog fights, loud voices of neighbors, screaming kids and loud  discordant music only meters from the bedroom window :crazy:

Just today i was using a Thai app and there was section on what not not do in Thailand. Usual things like don't touch the head..take your shoes off etc. But one stood out...don't be loud! What don't be loud. Just about everything is loud here from screaming truck speakers to blasting music in the malls and loud people talking. Thank goodness I live in a nice quiet neighborhood untill them trucks come down selling something with the speakers blaring. If I was op I would move if possible. The last soi I. Lived on was terrible so glad I moved. Find a nice soi with nice houses and the people have steady jobs and drive cars. You will be happier.