Loud Neighbors! What to do?

miraz16

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Stand in their garden with a white sheet over your head in the middle of the night making wailing noises, they will be gone the next day.shit scared of ghosts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would not do that, there is every chance he might just shoot you, not knowing that a bullet is supposed to go right through a ghost and have no effect.

assuming your partner is thai, ask them how to deal with this situation and support them in the normal thai course of action.

if i was back home and my partner was a foreigner i would not rely on them to resolve problems. as it's my country, i speak the language and understand the culture i would solve the problem.

20 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Leaseso mean nothing In Thailand not worth the paper there written on. 

I would contact your Landlord tell him the problem let him try to sort it (don't hold your breath). After a week contact him again and this time tell him as far as your concerned you can not live there. And you are giving notice. You will lose your deposit for sure but rather that than what your putting up with now. Lesson next time when looking for  rented accommodation always go at a time when neibours are likely to be in. There's plenty of vacant properties to chose from.

"Leaseso mean nothing In Thailand not worth the paper there written on."

In the US there are credit reporting agencies. The vast majority of landlords and rental agencies use these to check credit history and if there are any evictions on one's record.

If there is an eviction or bad credit, it makes it impossible to rent other than finding a private landlord who doesn't go thru that formality.

I guess that's uncommon (to check a credit history) when renting in Thailand? Perhaps Thais don't have access to credit histories for farangs - I remember being surprised when Canadian banks told me they don't have access to US credit histories.

So if one walks out on a lease, that is the end of it? There wouldn't be an eviction involved of course in this case but there would be a default on a credit record. Would a landlord sue for the unpaid rent?

I guess a landlord may feel it would be too difficult to sue a non-citizen and collect even if the landlord wanted to?

Edited by JimmyJ

9 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Leaseso mean nothing In Thailand not worth the paper there written on."

In the US there are credit reporting agencies. The vast majority of landlords and rental agencies use these to check credit history and if there are any evictions on one's record.

If there is an eviction or bad credit, it makes it impossible to rent other than finding a private landlord who doesn't go thru that formality.

II guess that's uncommon (to check a credit history) when renting in Thailand? Perhaps Thais don't have access to credit histories for farangs - I remember being surprised when Canadian banks told me they don't have access to US credit histories.

So if one walks out on a lease, that is the end of it? There wouldn't be an eviction involved of course in this case, but would a landlord sue for the unpaid rent?

I guess a landlord may feel it would be too difficult to sue a non-citizen and collect even if the landlord wanted to?

News flash this is Thailand not the states. Leases here are lip service! sign up for a year usually pay a month to two months in advance as a deposit. If you walk you lose deposit (chances of getting deposit back if you do the full year are slim anyway). 

No credit checks involved at all

Not a 'Thai' problem. It's an 'Asia', or world problem. Noise is prevalent. Many are immune to it - like hepatitis and dengue fever - worse in some parts of the world than others.

Immediately begin looking for somewhere else to live. When you think you've found a place, do your standard issue reconnaissance checks:

Visit the place late at night. Noisy? Sit in your car or on your motorbike and scope it out.

Go back in the morning - evidence of boozy parties?

Wait until the next weekend. Visit again. Ask your potential new neighbors about the place - you'll know immediately from their response; especially if they can't understand what you're worrying about.

That empty block next door - looks really nice doesn't it? A week after you move in, the construction workers will start building their camp and a condo will begin going up. Lovely old house behind your potential haven of peace? That will come down soon and be replaced by a boutique hotel.

O.P.: don't even think about confronting your neighbors - indigenous or otherwise. More grief, more frustrations, more danger. Turn it into a positive by telling your landlord that you're leaving - unless he/she/they can give you financial considerations of some kind, e.g. free or greatly reduced rent. In the meantime, invest in earplugs and turn on your favorite music...

On 4/28/2017 at 10:57 AM, wildewillie89 said:

The same way you do in any country (I don't understand why everyone on here thinks Thai has different processes). If you're too afraid to do it face to face then you can leave a note. If that doesn't work, then you can take the matter up with either the head of village or the municipality (if indeed it really is a nuisance case like you claim). 

This way can also back fire on you badly.In Thailand if you refer to any one as impolite then it is you that are impolite and sometimes the other party takes this personally.Revenge is terrible from Thais to any one and especially to farangs.And wide willie you are wrong Thailand is very different the your country back home.You must be new here.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:20 AM, worgeordie said:

You are best looking for new accommodation,as nothing is going to

change at least in the long run,if you can find anyone in authority to

do something for you ,it will not last.few weeks later same,same.

regards worgeordie

Again the best advice your going to get. 

2 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

This way can also back fire on you badly.In Thailand if you refer to any one as impolite then it is you that are impolite and sometimes the other party takes this personally.Revenge is terrible from Thais to any one and especially to farangs.And wide willie you are wrong Thailand is very different the your country back home.You must be new here.

More good advice its your lucky day. Bush sitters rather quiet on this one. 

3 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

Thailand is tough when it comes to this.  I had a home built 7 years ago and everything was fine and there was just 1 lot left behind us and I told my wife I am afraid of what will move in there.  Good reasons for my fears.  House is the center of attraction for all who want to come over.  Karaoke until 3:00 AM no problem.  5 barking dogs, especially at night.  Local police don't care either.  Say there is nothing I can do.  Feel sorry for anyone in this situation and there are a lot of us.

You should have bought the lot if you were worried who would move in there

You would have got capitol gains on it and could select who you sold the lot to if and when you sold it

1. Who lived there first? The Thai family or you? If the Thai live there longer as you they would give you a big PISS OFF!!!

Andin my eyes they are right because it is theirs normal living. Why they must change someting for YOU???

2. Do you not like kids playing loud? Move back to your home country or remember at the time you was a kid!!!

3. The dogs howling and barking? Buy some earplugs or move away.

YOU are the GUEST in this country. If you not like it MOVE AWAY.

In this cases the police in your home country don't do something too. This is the normaly living!!!

4. If someone open very loud music with bass booster, partying every night, .... I can understand your complaining but this ... not.

I think Thailand is the wrong country  for you!!! Try it with Canada or Alaska.

36 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Not true, more of an old wives tale. I've taught my wife to not put up with crap from insurance and other Thai companies who do a poor job. I have written them a nasty letter in Thai and I get apologies from them. If no one tells them they are annoying or aren't doing a good job, then they wouldn't ever think about it... As I said before; Thais really don't like to be confrontational, other than young punks...

9 minutes ago, snowgard said:

1. Who lived there first? The Thai family or you? If the Thai live there longer as you they would give you a big PISS OFF!!!

Andin my eyes they are right because it is theirs normal living. Why they must change someting for YOU???

2. Do you not like kids playing loud? Move back to your home country or remember at the time you was a kid!!!

In this cases the police in your home country don't do something too. This is the normaly living!!!

4. If someone open very loud music with bass booster, partying every night, .... I can understand your complaining but this ... not.

Alaska is a country? News to me and I've been there. And I really can't stand farang apologist. Being a good neighbor has nothing to do with your national origin... 

Where I wrote that Alaska is a country?
But why someone (maybe a whole street) must change their living for a new farang neighbour??? 

This is the same someone move in the near of a airport and start complaining about the loudness of the planes.

This has nothing to do with a good neighbourhood.

4 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Where I wrote that Alaska is a country?
But why someone (maybe a whole street) must change their living for a new farang neighbour??? 

This is the same someone move in the near of a airport and start complaining about the loudness of the planes.

This has nothing to do with a good neighbourhood.

I guess English is not your first language. The context I quoted implies Alaska is a country. I also disagree  with you about moving into a neighborhood that is not close to an airport or even a railroad track. There you will expect noise to occur. Moving into what seems to be a quiet neighborhood and then have some loud, annoying, inconsiderate neighbor while everyone else is quiet and respectful of others is something completely different!

32 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Get a grip the guy is correct in saying it's annoying dogs Barking all night kids screaming all day is not normal. As for the old chestnut go back to your home country !! Time for you to return to the real world I think. We are all entitled to be comfortable in our own homes. I had the same sort of thing once lasted for ten months before the family from hell moved away luckily other Thai neibours moved them on.

On 28/4/2560 at 5:18 PM, miraz16 said:

There is a one year lease in effect, with 10 months left. Can't just pick up and move unfortunately. 

yes you can but you wont get your deposit back. actually there is a bit of a chance you wont get it back anyway.  you should tell the owners of the house you are renting. they may help you if they think they are going to loose their tenants. congratulations on renting by the way. smart move.

Buy earplugs or move.

Loud noise simply does not register with Thais as a nuisance.

The landlord has your security deposit. Chances are he/she will retain it at the end of the lease anyway.

It's unlikely the landlord could help you, unless your noisy family is renting from him/her as well.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:53 AM, wildewillie89 said:

This is what happens. If it is a legit case you go to your public health officer under 'nuisance law' at your Tessaban (but it is dependent on how active or lazy the officer is if they act on it or not). They will then go to investigate the house in question. If they find your complaint is legitimate they will officially warn the house. If the house does not comply with the warning the official will call the police and as long as the house keeps on not complying the house will be fined on a daily basis. If you get other neighbours on your side to make the complaint with you, obviously it will be more pressure for the officer to act on the case. 

sure this will work as long as your neighbor is not an <deleted> and starts making problems for the OP.  Never know who knows who and the person with the highest contacts is going to win.

OP I had a thai friend had this problem he ended up moving. Nobody would do anything. Most govt employees want to sit around and do nothing.

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Get a grip the guy is correct in saying it's annoying dogs Barking all night kids screaming all day is not normal. As for the old chestnut go back to your home country !! Time for you to return to the real world I think. We are all entitled to be comfortable in our own homes. I had the same sort of thing once lasted for ten months before the family from hell moved away luckily other Thai neibours moved them on.

They have a 1 year contract what run 10 month more. So much to say. If my kids are playing around LOUD daily and a stupid farang come up and talk about it I want give him a big <deleted> up too!!! In the moment are the school holidays and the kids stay all over the day at home. And they play there. Better as stupid kids who not have friends and sit all over the day alone at home and play at the pc or game station.

Why all the other neighbours not complain about it?

Edited by snowgard

I would look for alternative accommodation. You are fortunate in that you rent and can do this.

I too have a noise situation with a neighbour with 3 dogs and kids that scream and yell, but I own my property. Fortunately it is not all the time, although one of the dogs is having a go right now at 05.30!!

Their odd visitors are also too lazy to park close to the walls and tend to block the  street.

Whether they are a disturbance to others just isn't on their radar, and complaints cause friction and dare I say some deliberate creation of noise in retaliation.

Problem is, it is often hard to find quiet neighbours on all sides, the best neighbours being no neighbours. It isn't always Thais  too!

Good luck.

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, snowgard said:

They have a 1 year contract what run 10 month more. So much to say. If my kids are playing around LOUD daily and a stupid farang come up and talk about it I want give him a big <deleted> up too!!! In the moment are the school holidays and the kids stay all over the day at home. And they play there. Better as stupid kids who not have friends and sit all over the day alone at home and play at the pc or game station.

Why all the other neighbours not complain about it?

Contracts as stated mean nothing in thailand. 

There is a vast difference between kids playing and enjoying them self's and kids screaming all day.

Why you say stupid farang? He has a right to complain jf what he says us correct.

How do you know the other neighbours are not complaining.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would look for alternative accommodation. You are fortunate in that you rent and can do this.

I too have a noise situation with a neighbour with 3 dogs and kids that scream and yell, but I own my property. Fortunately it is not all the time, although one of the dogs is having a go right now at 05.30!!

Their odd visitors are also too lazy to park close to the walls and tend to block the  street.

Whether they are a disturbance to others just isn't on their radar, and complaints cause friction and dare I say some deliberate creation of noise in retaliation.

Problem is, it is often hard to find quiet neighbours on all sides, the best neighbours being no neighbours. It isn't always Thais  too!

Good luck.

I was lucky I had the same sort of thing in previous house which we own. Moved away to village location built a house and bought the  only other two house building plots of land close to us. For only the one reason to stop any houses being built around us. But as a by product the wife rents out the other house now and it seems the neighbours are complaining about the  noise they make! Carma I call it.

Edited by jeab1980

You have a number of choices,  from what I see written you are like many of us here.  Contact the neighbor, and hope they comply,  Contact the neighbor and they go berserk and you open a can of worms or they do you a favor and just stay quiet and give you that stare, thinking inside stupid Farang you are in Thailand look,  which will lead you to choice 3, start looking for a new place and this time do some research.

When you start to stop letting it get into your head , it becomes easier.

Edited by thailand49

On 29/04/2017 at 1:03 PM, sanukjim said:

I live here. I have family who are the directors of public health and mayors of Tessaban's so they deal with these issues/laws on a daily basis (so I know what's within my legal right -  contrary to popular belief many Thai accept the law if ther is a daily fine associated with it). Very similar to nuisance laws back home. If you guys either don't understand the law or are too scared to have a conversation or make a complaint due to 'fear of whatever' that is completely on you (why even live here?). I have made complaints and gone and spoken to my neighbours before on multiple occasions. As my neighbours have with me about a dog barking (who we proved wasn't our dog). The result, a I'm sorry, it will not happen again and a move on. My neighbours have stopped burning off now due to young children for example. Again. There are processes like all countries. If you dont understand them or are scared of them, why choose to live a miserable life here? No wonder many expats are so bitter here.

From the comments it's like Thai neighbours are at constant war with each other lol. Generally, they are not. Why? Due to talking to each other or going through processes. Just talk to them rather than talking to a forum for gods sake. When fear of God knows what overrides common sense actions, you know you should move back home as no matter where you move you will have a miserable life if you're too scared to fight anything.

Edited by wildewillie89
Info add

I showed my wife this thread (director of public health so her staff deal with nuisance law everyday), she had a good laugh at how farang think Thais are jungle people (in reference to revenge). She understands if a farang is too scared to have the conversation with the neighbour (due to language), but she said there is absolutely no excuse for a wife/gf/Thai person not talking to the neighbours on behalf of the farang.

The jungle comment is implying there isn't some constant drive by shooting, Jamaica style 6hour murder intervals life between neighbours here in Thai. Issues generally get resolved through talking/processes. So basically she thinks you're all just overreacting about nothing...and remember this is her actual portfolio so she knows of all acts of revenge there is relating to nuisance issues.

22 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I showed my wife this thread (director of public health so her staff deal with nuisance law everyday), she had a good laugh at how farang think Thais are jungle people (in reference to revenge). She understands if a farang is too scared to have the conversation with the neighbour (due to language), but she said there is absolutely no excuse for a wife/gf/Thai person not talking to the neighbours on behalf of the farang.

The jungle comment is implying there isn't some constant drive by shooting, Jamaica style 6hour murder intervals life between neighbours here in Thai. Issues generally get resolved through talking/processes. So basically she thinks you're all just overreacting about nothing...and remember this is her actual portfolio so she knows of all acts of revenge there is relating to nuisance issues.

Really .... Really ...

Many many years ago we filed a complaint at the Chalong Police station. The desk police sergent put his gun on the desk and said .... this is the way we Thai's solve property problems. Offered me his gun to 'solve' our complaint. For me this is 'jungle' law.