Passport damaged while in Thailand

Got caught in the rain in koh Lanta and my passport got water damaged while in my money belt. Our flight home is booked for in a weeks time, will I have any trouble getting on a plane home? Also we have a 9 hour layover in Beijing and a 3 hour layover In Seattle before home to Canada Will I be able to board a plane home?? I also have a picture of my passport on my phone if that helps. Attached are before and after pictures

<deleted>
<deleted>

Please help!

EDITED by @KhunBENQ

Moved the links to the passport photos to a non public area.

It's not advisable to post one's pictures publicly in the forum.

Are the slight watermarks to the photos the only problem?

No washed out pages with stamps etc.?

Quite hard to say what they expect in China or at the US border.

Maybe another moderator can give a guess.

Otherwise there is no better chance than rushing to the Canadian embassy in Bangkok and get an emergency travel document. I don't know the details.

• Like 1

You could maybe even email the photos to the Canadian Embassy and ask, if you are not close. You would also then have a written document, if they reply and say its ok.

Looks a lot like songkrahn damage to me, lol

Edited by Peterw42

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I would suggest you visit the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/index.aspx?lang=eng

Let them see it and advise. They may give you an emergency travel document or something to accompany your passport if needed.

I second this !!!

It might be hard to convince people at check-in at the airport and the immigration that that's your passport....

• Like 1

I put my Canadian passport through the laundry a couple of years ago... I dried out all the pages, the visa stamps were a little smudged, and the colours of the photograph were almost totally washed out.... I asked the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok if I needed a new passport and they said: "No -- but you never know what any border control officer might decide." I have had no problems for 2 years.

I had my British passport questioned once in BKK merely because the gold design on the cover had worn off, i was told ''It wasn't a real passport'' but was let in anyway. You can't be too careful, all you need is one official who missed breakfast and you have problems.

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I would suggest you visit the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/index.aspx?lang=eng

Let them see it and advise. They may give you an emergency travel document or something to accompany your passport if needed.

If your photo is intact and does not look like it has been tampered with and none of the details are smudged defaced I would go directly to the airport and try my luck.

I WOULD NOT GO TO THE EMBASSY!  They will err as always on the side of caution and tell you to get a new passport or an emergency travel document, they will not risk giving you the OK then have you turned away at the airport and blame them!

Just turn up as if nothing has happened and tell them if they ask that it was exactly the same when you flew in. If you offer them an excuse to reject you they will. (UK rejected one of my wife's China Visas and refused to allow onward flight after London from Bangkok to Shang Hai - they didn't like the fact that the visa was in her maiden name but the passport now reflected the married name) When we got to Bangkok the air staff just laughed and issued the onward boarding pass.

I NEVER carry my passport unless going to any government agency, and once a month at my bank.  At any KODAK photo store you can get a wallet size copy of the passport photo page for usually under 100thb.  Mine has a copy of my passport photo page, and a copy of my companions ( GF ) ID on the reverse - came in handy when I had to take her to the hospital ER room.  She did not have to get her regular ID.

You can EITHER carry your passport or a photo copy, my WALLET photo copy WAS accepted to go visit His Majesty the late King Rama lX on the Grand Palace grounds.

Note: IF you are stopped you CAN BE ( BUT ARE NOT ALWAYS ) required to present your regular Passport at a police station within a short time - get a receipt that the police have the wallet size copy

• Like 1

Most of it is a load of <deleted>

Had no problem coming in & out of Thailand but the typical Nanny country of Auss gave me a written warning on a 10 yr PP that i had only for 7-8 yrs

The only problem was the wearing of 1 page folding in the sense the main pg was wearing at the fold ( 1 cm ) from either direction

I said how about i put a bit of tape on it & their reply was you would be destroying the PP

We're only the messanger

Get an emergency passport.

There is no way mainland China will let you in if you have any sort of water damage or a pic that is blurred/damaged in any way it goes on face recognition.  Sorry you said layover, anyway, best get an emergency passport and have the old one certified and verfied as in visa stamps.

Good luck.

Similar thing happened to me when my son's water bottle spilled in my bag and passport was damaged so I'm just saying from my own personal experience. With world wide security and terrorist attack alerts you won't fly.

As a U.S. citizen two months ago my U.S. passport was lost.

Not by me, but someone  I mistakenly trusted..

I was in hospital at the time with a broken left arm due to a fall.

I was able to get a one year temporary U.S. emergency passport from the U.S embassy in Bangkok, after filing a police report of a lost U.S. passport

I applied for a new U.S. passport at the same time, and received my new 10 year U.S. passport in about a week from the U.S. embassy.

It can be done.....I did it.

They know their passport business at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok, as passports are lost all the time.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct a typo