What age gap is acceptable?

CG1 Blue

As I approach my middle years and having been single for quite some time, I start to ask myself questions about the type of girl (woman) I could realistically settle down with. I've long believed it's important to stay within the right age range in order to find (long term) happiness. For example, I wouldn't try to settle down with a 20 year old, even though the opportunities to do that are plenty in the LOS. For one I don't think we'd have a lot in common, and for two the chances of her quickly losing interest and 'playing around' would be sky high.

Somebody once told me that a good formula is half your age plus 7.  In other words, a 30 year old guy shouldn't go any lower than a 22 year old girl. A 40 year old guy shouldn't go lower than a 27 year old girl, and so on. But that was supposed to apply to the UK dating scene, which is obviously quite different to LOS.

Personally I find the 30+ women in LOS much more appealing these days, which I suppose is a result!

I'd like to hear some opinions on this - and apologies if this has been covered a million times before!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought the man being 4 to 5 years older than the wife was about right.   But that's what my Dad and Mom were = my formative impression.  

My Thai wife is just about 4 years younger ~ 3 years 8 months TBE.  I have a few mates here about the same, but also some who are 20-25 years senior to their wives.

31 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Get the youngest, sexiest one you can. Once she starts to age or get fat trade her in.. You only live once.

Shouldn't you be at the White House instead of posting on ThaiVisa Donald ?

There is no formula, it is whatever both parties are comfortable and can deal with. Look for happiness not formulas.

It depends. In the OP's case, looking for a long-term relationship, a 10 to 15 year age difference would be considerd "acceptable" in Thailand.
On the other hand, if I was to be diagnosed with terminal cancer, only young and crisby birds would be on my menu. The more the merrier. As I said, it depends on circumstances.
Cheers.

43 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

My rule of thumb is around $5,000 per year of age inequity. Give or take.

Does that work also in reverse? A 60 year old Farang marries a 80 year old Thai- Lady. This opens new avenues.
Where is my pocket-calculater....it must be here somewhere.
Cheers.

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I've always thought the man being 4 to 5 years older than the wife was about right.   But that's what my Dad and Mom were = my formative impression.  

My Thai wife is just about 4 years younger ~ 3 years 8 months TBE.  I have a few mates here about the same, but also some who are 20-25 years senior to their wives.

The ones who are 20-25 years older than their wives, are we talking 65 year old man with 45 year old woman, or 40 year old with 20 year old?  I just can't imagine the latter scenario working out. I guess there are always exceptions though...

Don't worry too much how older you are compare to her because sooner

or later she'll start playing around with a younger men, and you can take

that to the bank.... and it would be a folly to believe or expect otherwise....

56 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Don't worry too much how older you are compare to her because sooner

or later she'll start playing around with a younger men, and you can take

that to the bank.... and it would be a folly to believe or expect otherwise....

This + Faranghunter

Seen this twice or touching on 3  & not know many Falangs & when the Falang thinks all is normal again there's still things he doesn't know 

Thais have eyes every where & a great communication system

Age has no bearing as far as I'm concerned if you fit together that's all that is needed. Sod what others think probably jealousy anyway. Oh my wife was 20yrs old when I met and married her. 

It is not age so much as maturity... on both of your parts.

I am always put off by "formulas, lists, equations" when it comes to relationships. 

My wife was the oldest of 4 children and shouldered a lot of responsibility when young and it continues onward. Her youngest sister can barely tie her own shoes. If you look at them both when they were age 30, her sister was more like an 8 year old and my wife was a mature adult. 

Would you rather be judged by your age or your personality, ability, accomplishments? 

My wife is 27 years younger. We have been happily married for over 9 years. No problems.

Everyone to their own.

A previous poster has it right, their are many things more important than age, for example, the family you marry into.

My wife is 24 years younger than me , we have been happily married for over 20 years and still laugh and joke with each other every day .

my previous wife was 18 years younger than me , we were together 13 years , 

3 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Sorry can't edit for some reason. Fell in love and we got married and fourteen years down the track wonderful and sparky still. 

Not a cougar , never chased guys ever but this one was it.

How big is the age gap?

Archived