HRW calls on govt to drop media regulation plan

rooster59

HRW calls on govt to drop media regulation plan

By The Nation

Human Rights Watch (HRW) has issued a statement calling on the Thai government to withdraw the media regulation draft law, saying it will pave the way to tighten control over news reporting in Thailand.

The New York-based HRW said the draft bill, set to be tabled on Monday for endorsement by the National Reform Steering Assembly, provides for a proposed government-appointed national media council to regulate all media platforms – print, broadcast, or online.

It would also subject anyone who directly or indirectly earns income from reporting news to the public without a licence – and their company, agency, or organisation – to up to two years in prison and a Bt60,000 (US$1,715) fine, it pointed.

Brad Adams, Asia director said the misnamed media rights and freedom law is the junta’s latest attempt to increase government interference and control of any independent news reporting. Passage of this draft law, he said, would mean that reporters in Thailand would be constantly looking over their shoulder at a government-appointed panel that can have them jailed.

“The proposed media law is taking Thailand even further away from the junta’s promised election and restoration of democratic rule,” Adams said.

“Instead of adopting another repressive law, the government should lift censorship and the rights abusing regulations that are destroying free expression in Thailand.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313758

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-29

18 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“The proposed media law is taking Thailand even further away from the junta’s promised election and restoration of democratic rule,” Adams said.

I don't think our junta have any intention whatsoever of restoring democratic rule. They intend to maintain control ad infinitum.

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I don't think our junta have any intention whatsoever of restoring democratic rule. They intend to maintain control ad infinitum.

Obviously, they are introducing so much repressive power in the law, that they will never give the opposed political faction the opportunity to use it.

Whilst there is a free media abroad posting news about Thailand and it's institutions then the Thai media will be tightly controlled so the public only have access to approved content.

The problem is, unless the Junta goes the Chinese route e.g. the great firewall, then they are bound to fail.

I hope I am wrong but I see even more draconian measures in the future.

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Whilst there is a free media abroad posting news about Thailand and it's institutions then the Thai media will be tightly controlled so the public only have access to approved content.

The problem is, unless the Junta goes the Chinese route e.g. the great firewall, then they are bound to fail.

I hope I am wrong but I see even more draconian measures in the future.

You can bet the house on your last sentence.

Said it before 'hopefully' can say it again. Welcome to China/North Korea. I hope the Thais will not allow this to happen. I fear down the track this may get nasty as military in power anywhere in the world do not like to give up that power.

general-prayuth-and-the-coup-in-thailand-altagreer-thai.gif

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The junta seems to always talk with a "forked tongue" and a "do as I say, not what I do" attitude along with crackpot, poorly executed solutions to problems (with a total lack of higher order critical thinking)  :sad:

Apart from that they will spend another 600 years, patting themselves on the back (thinking that makes them go forward) while many of their neighbouring countries will continue to progress for the benefit of their citizens and not just for the military/elite/rich/connected persons.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.