Pride in Produce Puts Bangkok’s Or Tor Kor Market Among World’s Best

rooster59

Pride in Produce Puts Bangkok’s Or Tor Kor Market Among World’s Best

by Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

market.head_-500x375.jpg

Songkom Rattanapongtara shows off his salted king mackerel, or ‘plaa in see’ on Tuesday at Bangkok’s Or Tor Kor Market.

BANGKOK — Merchants at the Or Tor Kor Market say premium quality produce, long experience and wealthy customers means they were not surprised to learn it was recently ranked among the world’s best fresh markets.

Or Tor Kor placed fourth by CNN Travel when the results were revealed April 18. That put the upscale Bangkok market – next to the famous Chatuchak Weekend Market – just behind Barcelona’s La Boqueria at No. 1, Tokyo’s Tsukiji Fish Market  and New York City’s Union Square Farmer’s Market.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/shopping/2017/04/28/pride-produce-puts-bangkoks-tor-kor-market-among-worlds-best/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-04-29

Fresher and cheaper at your local market, FYI.

Checked out this place recently with the woman.  Just for an idea, bunch of black grapes 350b.  River prawns 800b+/kilo.  Stewed pork 70b for baggie half a man's portion.  Crab dumplings 80b for 5 pcs.  Single bunch of kale 40b.

We buy this kind of stuff at Sutthisan weekend market for literally half the price, just as fresh.  Cheers.

World's best???  Try to tell my son that.  Wife purchased a plate of cooked river prawns for him and he ended up in hospital for four days with a parasite infection.  No one else in the party of four touched the river prawns.  Holiday ruined.  Thank you Or Kor Tor.  We haven't been back since (2 years now).

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Pride in their job?

That would be a first for Thailand.

I will disagree with you there Jan.

Don't be so negative.

Off-topic I know but the Thai guy who did our built-in furniture in our house took pride in his work.

If it wasn't perfect he'd get his workers to do it again.

He had high standards.

15 hours ago, YTP said:

We buy this kind of stuff at Sutthisan weekend market for literally half the price, just as fresh.

I think that the real reason for that might be 

On 4/29/2017 at 1:18 PM, rooster59 said:

Merchants at the Or Tor Kor Market say premium quality produce, long experience and wealthy customers