Construction of Red Line train project and engineer suspended

rooster59

Construction of Red Line train project and engineer suspended

139_Crane.png

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit on Saturday ordered Italian Thai Development Company to temporarily suspend construction of the Red Line train project following a fatal accident Friday night when three workers of the company were crushed to death by a fallen supporting beam at a construction site in front of Wat Don Muang.

The minister also suspended the engineer in charge of the construction from active duty and ordered the company to disclose its construction safety plan for the Red Line train project. On top of that, a fact-finding committee was set up to find out the cause of the accident.

The three victims – all employees of Italian Thai – were identified as Mr Maitri Sapasivat, Mr Sa-ngad Thepsanthad and Mr Santipong Sae Wang.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/construction-red-line-train-project-engineer-suspended/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-29

After just one fatality safety systems and procedures needed

an overhaul, to have 8 deaths is way over the top,

accountability, engineering and risk management sadly lacking.

" I go to work and would like to come home again in the same state of health"

not to much to ask in 2017, 

R.I.P

:blink: Did I just read correctly that there were prior deaths during construction which were handled with fines:1zgarz5:
EDIT: R.I.P all the fellows resulting from this negligence... Appalling :(

Edited by jabis
Important addendum

Possible legal action over deadly scaffold collapse

By THE SUNDAY NATION

139_Crane.png

Engineers and officials yesterday examine a large metal scaffold that fell from concrete pillars which are part of the State Railway of Thailand’s Dark Red Line project, under construction in Don Muang district.

Three workers were killed in the incident on Friday night. Labour Protection and Welfare Department director-general Sumet Mahosot said the project had seen six deadly incidents during its construction, killing eight people. 

Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn said an investigation was under way to determine whether legal action could be taken against anyone found to be responsible.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30313794

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-30

36 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Shocked that this happened to Ital Thai, a company doing large construction projects for decades..

I could be wrong, but wasn't this company involved with a large building collapse in Samut Prakarn several years ago? If memory serves me correct, many Burmese workers were killed.

40 minutes ago, missoura said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't this company involved with a large building collapse in Samut Prakarn several years ago? If memory serves me correct, many Burmese workers were killed.

Yes. 2014, earlier site accident involving Ital Thai:

Thread here https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706909-samut-prakan-at-least-two-workers-killed-several-others-injured-in-building-collapse/?page=2#comment-7490782

10 killed in construction-site collapse

Italian-Thai Development, a listed company, is in charge of the construction, while ACSE 110 Consortium is the construction supervisor. 

Found this interesting. The following is from the  Asian-Pacific Regional Programme on Occupational Safety and Health, David Gold, Chief Technical Adviser.

• In Thailand in 1991, 126,966 construction workers were covered under the workers' compensation scheme. Among these workers, there were 121 deaths and 15,493 injuries. These statistics yield a fatality rate of 95.3 deaths per 100,000 workers and an injury rate of 122.0 injuries per 1,000 workers. During the same period, the manufacturing sector reported a fatality rate of 12.9 deaths per 100,000 workers and an injury rate of 51.0 injuries per 1,000 workers. (Information supplied by the Workers' Compensation Bureau) It was estimated by the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare that 1.56 million workers were engaged in construction activities in 1991.

It looks like the frame they use to construct the section of viaduct between piers, which gets moved along. It looks like it straddles three piers, maybe came apart at the central one, maybe during the re-positioning?

P2.JPG

Edited by mtls2005

I'm surprised they are only now asking to review the company's safety plan.  That should have been one of the first things to check, before construction started.  Then one could argue there should have been more government inspectors monitoring adherence by the contractor to his safety program.  Without monitoring and strong enforcement of safety procedures, the contractor will cut corners where possible and the workers will suffer.  

This animation shows how a launching gantry works.

The part that appears to have detached is the support that is in motion at the 22-23 second mark. So, as others have noted almost certainly happened during gantry movement.

I've removed a post that is potentially defamatory.

Sorry, the detail may be true, but that's no defence in a Thai defamation lawsuit.

Please be very careful what you say or imply.

1 hour ago, rickb said:

I'm surprised they are only now asking to review the company's safety plan.  That should have been one of the first things to check, before construction started.  Then one could argue there should have been more government inspectors monitoring adherence by the contractor to his safety program.  Without monitoring and strong enforcement of safety procedures, the contractor will cut corners where possible and the workers will suffer.  

Yes your last sentence is correct. A missing $5 bolt is a profit in the eyes of companies today. The advancement of sheer naked greed today is truly astounding. The company calls it prosperity the CEO a pay raise. Was almost floored when I read that the CEO of Google made 200 million I just cannot wrap my head around this. RIP workers you are not the last. 

he who workes makes(fatal)mistakes, he who does not work makes none

no church temple or pyramide was built without casualties

just get some good controllers( not thai) to check and double check to avoid such things in the future

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Shocked that this happened to Ital Thai, a company doing large construction projects for decades. I always do wonder about those cranes though where I live. You have to have nuts of steel to climb up there.

It was probably a lack of nuts, steel or otherwise, that led to the collapse.

2 hours ago, rickb said:

'Without ... strong enforcement of safety procedures ...' Thailand's problem, in a nutshell. Luckily it was workers only - on this occasion. 

Except for Japan, I am afraid there is just not the same attitude or concern in Asia for occupational health and safety.

I have witnessed many breaches of good practice during my 14 years in Asia that would certainly have got jobs shut down in the West. Even such basics as PPE, especially helmets and footwear are largely ignored.

Even if there is a safety plan, it's just a standard cut and paste and not acted upon. Life is cheap here as companies are rarely held to account either criminally or by large compensation awards, so accidents are either covered up or ignored.

Only once the Government (good luck with that!) and the people insist on change will anything happen.

I worked for a large construction company in the US before retiring.  If we had even a Lost Time Accident, we would feel the wrath of the company execs.  We took safety very seriously.  Here in Thailand, most of the safety programs include a sign out front that says "Safety First" and that's all.  Here hard hats are made of cheap plastic, practically no one wears steel toe boots, safety glasses and gloves are usually nonexistent and I have rarely seen anyone up high tied off.  Safety here is pathetic.  I really feel sorry for the workers who must risk their life in order to make some money.

I know everyone says "Thailand, safety second" but the safety culture, specifically on the rail projects, is improving, slowly, but it is improving.

You won't get on a Red, Green or Blue Line site without basic PPE (hat, boots, hi-viz) and working at height without a harness (belts are not permitted) will get you fired.

Since Red line is JICA https://www.jica.go.jp/english/ funded there will be a proper report made to the authorities, whether it ever gets made public is another matter.

It's simple, safety costs money! HAVING to employ x amount of locals is probably hindering it too, I know it does on oil rigs in certain countries, when you come across incompetence getting rid of them can be hard or impossible too!  Whilst I admire the fact locals (in any country) want to learn and countries have a responsibility to make sure their populations have work, it starts at the beginning EDUCATION!!  A certificate from "X" university for a 12 month course doesn't cut it I am afraid....

Australian work place safety appears to be rigorous, but there are still about a hundred fatalities a year on building sites. Investigations take months and an inquest can take years. Business does not care and fines are usually minimal.

The majority of workplace deaths in Australia are in manufacturing, fishing and agriculture. Construction is fourth.

8 hours ago, missoura said:

Found this interesting. The following is from the  Asian-Pacific Regional Programme on Occupational Safety and Health, David Gold, Chief Technical Adviser.

• In Thailand in 1991, 126,966 construction workers were covered under the workers' compensation scheme. Among these workers, there were 121 deaths and 15,493 injuries. These statistics yield a fatality rate of 95.3 deaths per 100,000 workers and an injury rate of 122.0 injuries per 1,000 workers. During the same period, the manufacturing sector reported a fatality rate of 12.9 deaths per 100,000 workers and an injury rate of 51.0 injuries per 1,000 workers. (Information supplied by the Workers' Compensation Bureau) It was estimated by the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare that 1.56 million workers were engaged in construction activities in 1991.

As a comparison, the UK construction industry reported a fatality rate of 0.46 deaths per 100,000 workers in 2015/16. 43 deaths in total.