Buying a car on a Tourist Visa

AlfUK

1 minute ago, Scotssing said:

Certificate of residence ought to be fine and easy to get and then the vehicle can be registered in your name. I had no problem at all. However I have heard more than once of individuals being given the run around and told they cannot register the car in their name. I think this must be with second hand cars as any dealer worth his salt should know and be able to register the car in your name.

That comes about because the foreigner is ignorant, gullible, both, or doesn't obtain a C of R so it's registered in the wife/gf's name.

The wife/gf might also slip the salesman 2,000 to tell you that.

Other than land a foreigner can own anything else in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, dentonian said:

That comes about because the foreigner is ignorant, gullible, both, or doesn't obtain a C of R so it's registered in the wife/gf's name.

The wife/gf might also slip the salesman 2,000 to tell you that.

Other than land a foreigner can own anything else in Thailand.

First car i bought on  tv many many years ago everyone told me no can have in falang name. No problem i said and wrote my name in Thai script, regìstered in my name no problem. Second one which i still have again registered in my name in Thai script again no problem. Cert of residence not required in iether case. Girl well woman at DTO just laughed first time second time same lady no hassle no dramas all done and out in an hour.

Immigration for annual extension, and some three to four 90-day reports, are fairly simple (just follow the damands for documentation etc.); especially the 90-day reporting, which in some areas may even be done on-line.

As other has said, you need proof-or-residence to register a car in your name. Normally the Immigration Office will write a letter with proof-of-residence for the Land Transport Office. Immigration may charge about 500 baht the service, and you need to show rent-agreement, or lease agreement, and a signed copy your Landlord's Blue House Book, and signed copies of your Agreement. But check with local Land Transport Department and Immigration Office, to make sure what the want in your local area, as it can be slightly different from province-to-province.

:smile:

Cert of residence and permission to buy a car can be had from your nearest immigration office for the princely sum of 500 baht and no, a U.K. Licence won't get you a Thai licence, bring an International Driving Permit and all you should have to do is the colour blindness  and peripheral vision tests. 2 year Thai licence is now I believe, 280 baht.   Good luck 

1 minute ago, killala said:

Cert of residence and permission to buy a car can be had from your nearest immigration office for the princely sum of 500 baht and no, a U.K. Licence won't get you a Thai licence, bring an International Driving Permit and all you should have to do is the colour blindness  and peripheral vision tests. 2 year Thai licence is now I believe, 280 baht.   Good luck 

Wrong a uk licence will get you a thai DL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, killala said:

Just done mine in Pranburi and fired my Irish licence at them and was told no good, IDP only....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well cant comment on irish licence but i can assure you GB driving licence gets you a thai DL color test brake test and distance test all done 2yr temp licence.

Edited by jeab1980

"Also, if you are from the UK bring your UK license and you will be allowed to obtain a Thai license based on that without sitting a test. "

If you dont want to do the driving test you will also need an International Driving Permit, just the eyes and co-ordination tests and a 1 hour video. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"Also, if you are from the UK bring your UK license and you will be allowed to obtain a Thai license based on that without sitting a test. "

If you dont want to do the driving test you will also need an International Driving Permit, just the eyes and co-ordination tests and a 1 hour video. 

Same at Phuket with UK licence and IDP, just the brake pedal reaction test, traffic light colour test, pic took, paid fee was out in 1 hour 10 minutes  with Licence.

(am sure I read somewhere on TVF that if you do not have IDP with UK licence you have to watch the Video also) that would mean waiting around till they show the vid but still get licence so no big deal, defo need certificate of residence and 5 disease medical certificate from a Docs (about 100B)

And in answer to OP yes you can buy a vehicle on single entry tourist visa, I bought a bike in December on a SETV but as said you need a COR (I just got my landlady to give me a copy of her ID and apt details/address 

Edited by Lokie

1 minute ago, Lokie said:

Same at Phuket with UK licence and IDP, just the brake pedal reaction test, traffic light colour test, pic took, paid fee was out in 1 hour 10 minutes  with Licence.

(am sure I read somewhere on TVF that if you do not have IDP with UK licence you have to watch the Video also) that would mean waiting around till they show the vid but still get licence so no big deal, defo need certificate of residence and 5 disease medical certificate from a Docs (about 100B)

And in answer to OP yes you can but a vehicle on single entry tourist visa, I bought a bike in December on a SETV but as said you need a COR (I just got my landlady to give me a copy of her ID and apt details/address 

Uk licence without IDP no need for video on first temp licence but have to watch it (sleep through it) for 5 year renewal

1 minute ago, Lokie said:

And in answer to OP yes you can but a vehicle on single entry tourist visa, I bought a bike in December on a SETV but as said you need a COR (I just got my landlady to give me a copy of her ID and apt details/address 

Everyone now has to watch the video, even renewing a 5 year...:sad:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Uk licence without IDP no need for video on first temp licence but have to watch it (sleep through it) for 5 year renewal

That would depend on the local DLT office.

1 hour ago, killala said:

Just done mine in Pranburi and fired my Irish licence at them and was told no good, IDP only....

IDP is simply a translation of your Irish license. Any valid license can get you a Thai license.  I have an Irish friend who got a Thai license.

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Getting a friend to do it for you why sometimes by post? Or just lazy about going to PO. Expensive getting an agent? Admittedly if was about 5 years ago cost me 500bht nothing in the grand scheme of things. You are just fishing now but no one will take the bait. 

You speak for yourself, I have already said that there are IOs that will not accept posts and online, although I think most of them do.

• Like 1

An IDP is a translation document and accompanies your actual license. An IDP is not required to get a Thai License, based on your valid license from home country. 

Oddly enough, I've been using IDPs for 40 years ( ex Middle East haulier) so I do know what they are! I'm relaying the situation in Pranburi when she gave me back my Irish photo card licence without a glance and asked for my IDP.

1 hour ago, killala said:

Oddly enough, I've been using IDPs for 40 years ( ex Middle East haulier) so I do know what they are! I'm relaying the situation in Pranburi when she gave me back my Irish photo card licence without a glance and asked for my IDP.

All an IDP is, is a translation into English and adds a photo, therefore if your licence is already in English and has a photo it should not be needed, but then TIT.

Edited by Lancashirelad
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

An IDP is a translation document and accompanies your actual license. An IDP is not required to get a Thai License, based on your valid license from home country. 

Almost!

Under the 1948 and 1968 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic the Thai government accepts all driving licences in English with photo ID.

Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand.

An IDP is only required for licences not printed in English.

It is a translation of your licence in English. (International accepted Language)

Thailand ratified it's membership in 1954.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_the_Geneva_Conventions

• Like 2

2 hours ago, killala said:

Poor education, poor training, and that's what happens at some DLT centres.

Your Irish photo card licence should have been accepted.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You speak for yourself, I have already said that there are IOs that will not accept posts and online, although I think most of them do.

Samantics but you do as you please

47 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Almost!

Under the 1948 and 1968 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic the Thai government accepts all driving licences in English with photo ID.

Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand.

An IDP is only required for licences not printed in English.

It is a translation of your licence in English. (International accepted Language)

Thailand ratified it's membership in 1954.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_the_Geneva_Conventions

Yes, you are 100% correct. Any of these License or DLT threads invariably start to mention IDPs and then wildly incorrect information, saying IDPs are a stand alone license, insurance is voided without one etc.

As you say, most countries are members of those treaties and a valid license is a valid license, both for driving (time limit) and towards a local license. The exception being, IDP is often required for licences not printed in English, no photo etc.

• Like 1