Savannakhet Visa

1 hour ago, Wic said:

Hi. I'm going to Savannakhet tomorrow to apply for a non o visa based on marriage .

Are these all the documents I need?

1 x application form with 2 recent photos attached

1 x copy passport, signed by me

1 x copy wife ID card signed by wife

1 x copy wife house book, her entries, signed by wife

1 x copy fancy marriage certificate, both sides, signed by wife and me.

We got married last week but the Amphur office didn't give me a copy of the Kor Ror 2. Do they need this in Savannakhet?

Kor ror 2 is part of the papervwork you get when youbgot married look through it will be there and as its so soon after you married its fine next time before you go for visa get your mrs to go to any amphur toget an updated kor rorv2 20bht with her id card and take the origional fancy marriage certificate they look at that.

Edited by jeab1980

1 hour ago, Wic said:

Hi. I'm going to Savannakhet tomorrow to apply for a non o visa based on marriage .

Are these all the documents I need?

1 x application form with 2 recent photos attached

1 x copy passport, signed by me

1 x copy wife ID card signed by wife

1 x copy wife house book, her entries, signed by wife

1 x copy fancy marriage certificate, both sides, signed by wife and me.

We got married last week but the Amphur office didn't give me a copy of the Kor Ror 2. Do they need this in Savannakhet?

Remember you need to have your original marriage certificate with you as well.

they will ask to see it but do not keep it

This contrasts to the post last week who claimed he was denied after being told they would not be issuing any O Visas based on retirement anymore. I'm thinking he did not have his ducks in a row.

I was there last Monday applying for the non o based on retirement as I have posted. I had all the paperwork in order. My income affidavit was attached with the application but the guy at the window just took a look at the application then just flat out said "no, we don't give it here, you have to apply for it in your country". That was the exact wording. He did not say "not anymore" Now this week they gave it. So inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not a biggie, but if on a 2 night trip is it worthwhile having the first night in Mukdahan? I know that Sav is very boring, but is Mukdahan any better? The downside I suppose, would be having to check in and out of 2 places as opposed to 2 nights in Sav...

13 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Not a biggie, but if on a 2 night trip is it worthwhile having the first night in Mukdahan? I know that Sav is very boring, but is Mukdahan any better? The downside I suppose, would be having to check in and out of 2 places as opposed to 2 nights in Sav...

I quite like Savanakhet for a couple of nights, always stay at pilgrims kitchen and guest house. Great atmosphere on the river bank. Plus easy to get to consulate next morning. I always do a 2 nighter as i take the motor over. After handing in paperwork we shoot off  for the day never plan anything just go where the mood takes us.

Edited by jeab1980

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I quite like Savanakhet for a couple of nights, always stay at pilgrims kitchen and guest house. Great atmosphere on the river bank. Plus easy to get to consulate next morning. I always do a 2 nighter as i take the motor over. After handing in paperwork we shoot off  for the day never plan anything just go where the mood takes us.

Yea, I think you're right.

Chatting this am to a friend just got back on friday last week. Non o based on marriage multy entry. They asked him for updated kor ror 2 luckily he took it but not put in the paperwork pack he handed in. Makes me wonder if its a diffrent operator on front desk on diffrent days.  So i would get an updated kor ror 2 for 20bht its not worth the chance of being turned away.

On Monday, May 01, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Roger Lee said:

I was somewhat disappointed with Savannakhet as everything is so spread out and difficult to get to without a Tuk Tuk.

I stayed at the Avalon Residence and it was okay, the free breakfast was meh. Next time I'll probably stay next door at a place called Aura Residence, the food although not western was pretty good.

Pilgrims Kitchen & Inn is highly rated and close to a night market, the food mainly Mexican, American and Indian was pretty good. I didn't see an elevator there. For a good cheeseburger Lin's Cafe doesn't disappoint.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I stayed at Aura. People I spoke to at Avalon complained about poor wifi, Aura had no issues and is very clean. 

2 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

I stayed at Aura. People I spoke to at Avalon complained about poor wifi, Aura had no issues and is very clean. 

Nothing to do with getting a visa we stayed at the Aura just after it opened. On a trip back from our holidays needed an overnight break from driving. I personaly would not recomend it wifi was crap tv didnt work and the lazy staff were to busy in there bloody phones to care. Only stayed tbere as we couldnt getbi to our favourite hotel the pilgrims kithen. 

4 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Only difference I saw between mukdahan and savannakhet is Leo beer or beer laos.

personally I would rather do 2 nights in savannakhet than 1 in each.

Both are quiet but food is by far better in savannakhet.

food in lyns place is fantastic and beer cheep?

Edited by Doiger

On 5/1/2017 at 1:24 PM, abab said:

I guess that you are someone who think that wearing long shorts and sandals is ok :-)

was there long socks to go with the long shorts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doiger said:

Only difference I saw between mukdahan and savannakhet is Leo beer or beer laos.

personally I would rather do 2 nights in savannakhet than 1 in each.

Both are quiet but food is by far better in savannakhet.

food in lyns place is fantastic and beer cheep?

Food is pricier in Savannakhet though. In Thailand you can eat in local places at the same price as the locals but such places in Laos will rip you off because you're a foreigner. The western food places in Savannakhet are also overpriced so  just eating 3 meals a day for 2 days would blow a hole in your pocket. 

• Like 1

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

Food is pricier in Savannakhet though. In Thailand you can eat in local places at the same price as the locals but such places in Laos will rip you off because you're a foreigner. The western food places in Savannakhet are also overpriced so  just eating 3 meals a day for 2 days would blow a hole in your pocket. 

Maybe where you went, but I was there for a couple of nights last week and yes I agree the hotels charge more.

but when we went out to town even my wife(thai) was surprised at how good and cheap the food and drinks were.

i don't think 400 baht for meals and drinks for myself my wife and son is expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I would have to disagree there we paid the same prices as the locals in Laos without exception. No pricier than in Thailand in fact if you have food with beer its cheaper than thailand. And in my opinion betrer quality food and beer

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 2

Maybe Savannakhet is different (I've only been once) but when I went on a motorbike tour of Laos I was disgusted with how widespread price-gauging was. I thought to myself 'at least the baguette sellers are decent people who only charge 10,000 kip' until I found out the locals pay 5000.

• Like 1

Currently in Savannaket after having handed in my Non O Visa Application based on marriage. As I stated before, we got married last week and the Amphur didn't give me a copy of the Kor Ror 2. 

Documents I handed in were

My Passport

Completed Application Form 

1x Copy of my passport signed by me

1x Copy of Wifes ID Card signed by her

1x Copy of Wifes House Book, her entries only and signed by her

1x Copy of Kor Ror 3, the fancy Marriage Certificate signed by both of us

I also showed the original fancy marriage certificate and they gave that back

They didn't ask for the Kor Ror 2 thankfully but I will have it for next time to save any hassle.

I completed the application form and signed all documents before we went to the embassy, so all i did was hand them over. He checked the documents and asked for the 5000 baht fee which I handed over. Got a white ticket and need to come back and collect my passport tomorrow at 2pm.

There was only about 15 people at the embassy in the morning and it opened at 9am sharp. I waited in line for about 10 minutes, if not less, and my application took about 2 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wic said:

Currently in Savannaket after having handed in my Non O Visa Application based on marriage. As I stated before, we got married last week and the Amphur didn't give me a copy of the Kor Ror 2. 

Documents I handed in were

My Passport

Completed Application Form 

1x Copy of my passport signed by me

1x Copy of Wifes ID Card signed by her

1x Copy of Wifes House Book, her entries only and signed by her

1x Copy of Kor Ror 3, the fancy Marriage Certificate signed by both of us

I also showed the original fancy marriage certificate and they gave that back

They didn't ask for the Kor Ror 2 thankfully but I will have it for next time to save any hassle.

I completed the application form and signed all documents before we went to the embassy, so all i did was hand them over. He checked the documents and asked for the 5000 baht fee which I handed over. Got a white ticket and need to come back and collect my passport tomorrow at 2pm.

There was only about 15 people at the embassy in the morning and it opened at 9am sharp. I waited in line for about 10 minutes, if not less, and my application took about 2 minutes. 

Wednesday is the best day.....:smile:

17 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's still pretty cheap in Laos and I'm far more concerned about the massive price disparity for entrance to Thai national parks:bah:

49 minutes ago, midas said:

It's still pretty cheap in Laos and I'm far more concerned about the massive price disparity for entrance to Thai national parks:bah:

I eat regularly.  I also use public-transport frequently, which is a haggle/debate/battle for every ride in Laos. 

National Park visits - not so often, though I didn't find the costs prohibitive when I have.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Yikes! I just discovered this requirement that the Thai consulate in Savannakhet is requiring bank statement proof of 20,000 baht, AND/OR that Thai immigration (upon arrival) is asking to see 20,000 baht in cash. I need to cross back over into Thailand in EIGHT days, and will only have ~ 15,000 baht in pocket (with some investment income rolling in later in the month). I am SERIOUSLY concerned about this situation. Shame on my for not looking into it properly. What do yáll think? Could I end up losing the visa application fee OR not be granted the visa if I apply this week without the bank statement or 20k cash on hand? If so, would it be ideal to simply apply for the Vietnam 3-month tourist visa and then come back in a few months with the proper balance in bank account and/or cash on hand? Any similar known ("current wealth") issues when applying for the Vietnamese visa in Savannakhet? Thanks in advance for any/all responses. FF.

9 minutes ago, FrankyFreedom said:

Hello.

Yikes! I just discovered this requirement that the Thai consulate in Savannakhet is requiring bank statement proof of 20,000 baht, AND/OR that Thai immigration (upon arrival) is asking to see 20,000 baht in cash. I need to cross back over into Thailand in EIGHT days, and will only have ~ 15,000 baht in pocket (with some investment income rolling in later in the month). I am SERIOUSLY concerned about this situation. Shame on my for not looking into it properly. What do yáll think? Could I end up losing the visa application fee OR not be granted the visa if I apply this week without the bank statement or 20k cash on hand? If so, would it be ideal to simply apply for the Vietnam 3-month tourist visa and then come back in a few months with the proper balance in bank account and/or cash on hand? Any similar known ("current wealth") issues when applying for the Vietnamese visa in Savannakhet? Thanks in advance for any/all responses. FF.

It does not have to be cash to get the tourist visa. You can show a bank statement.

No reports of immigration on  entry back to country wanting to see the 20k bah

Edited by ubonjoe
corrected error about type of visa

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The consulate is not asking for any financial proof to get a non-o visa based upon marriage. That is only for a tourist visa.

No reports of immigration on  entry back to country wanting to see the 20k baht.

UbonJoe...

I AM applying for the 2-month TOURIST visa. I only do tourist visa, based on my travel style, AND the fact that those are all I need for my purposes. Can you confirm that I will need to show the bank statement and/or cash on arrival? If so, I simply WON'T be able to do it this time around, and would HAVE to go the 3-month Vietnam route, and then come back loaded up on the proper cash reserbe. Please advise. Also, any known issues with getting the 3-month Vietnam tourist visa at the Savannakhet consulate? Thanks again for your expertise. Some day I owe you a beer, but wouldn't want to insult you with the standard limited selection (Leo, Chang, etc) over there in the LOS. Although I could possibly ship you a bottle of Beer Laos...

17 hours ago, FrankyFreedom said:

I AM applying for the 2-month TOURIST visa. I only do tourist visa, based on my travel style, AND the fact that those are all I need for my purposes. Can you confirm that I will need to show the bank statement and/or cash on arrival?

You will definitely need to show a bank-statement with 20K Baht worth of funds (can be in another country) to get a TR-Visa from Savanahket.  They won't accept cash.

On-entry, unlikely but possible they could ask to see 20K Baht in cash.  They won't accept a bank-statement.

You could take the bus to Vientiane from Savanakhet (~9 hours - there is a so-called 'VIP' overnight, I have not tried), where showing a bank-statement to apply for a TR Visa Is Not Necessary.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You will definitely need to show a bank-statement with 20K Baht worth of funds (can be in another country) to get a TR-Visa from Savanahket.  They won't accept cash.

On-entry, unlikely but possible they could ask to see 20K Baht in cash.  They won't accept a bank-statement.

You could take the bus to Vientiane from Savanakhet (~9 hours - there is a so-called 'VIP' overnight, I have not tried), where showing a bank-statement to apply for a TR Visa Is Not Necessary.

Thanks for the insightful feedback Jack. Since I was really caught off guard by this, and don't like to rush anything these days, I though it would be best to pursue the safest solution, beginning with attempting to extend my current Laos tourist visa for 30 days, to allow some more time to either pull the necessary funds together to successfully cross back to Mukhdahan next month, OR attempt to get the 3-month Vietnam tourist visa and ride the mountain bike to the Lao Bao border. I ABHOR public transport - especially LONG trips packed in with a bunch of people I don't know - along with a pretty narly case of claustrophobia/sociophobia/germphobia. Hahah!

That being said, embarked on a adventure this morning which turned out to be more enjoyable than my last annual "digital prostate examination". That is, I went down to the "immigration" office/dock on the river in Savannakhet. The folks INSIDE the office were okay and helpful (albeit sans much English language skills), but the tuk-tuk mafia loitering outside is not my type of crowd. After several dirty looks I locked up the bike one city block away at a food stall. The immigration officers then directed me to the city police office, which is where things just got MORE fun. Basically, the "visa extension" officers quoted me 20k kip (~$2.50 USD/day) + 30k (~ $4 USD) service fee. It was to my understanding, from MORE THAN ONE source, that the official cost is $2/day and $3/fee :

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/Laos-visa-extension.html

(this site info is currently maintained regularly)

So, this would cost ~ $75 USD at the police station, versus ~ $63 (official). I politely told the officer that I would consult with my "friend" at the travel agency in town to confirm the official price. Got a slight dirty/guilt look from that, and at that point reverted to my cardinal rule that the ONLY time I should be in a "developing world" police station is if I have done something wrong. Needless to say, I did indeed proceed right down to the travel agency, and talked to the owner on the phone (as we wasn't in the office today) and he confirmed that to his knowledge the cost of the extension IS only $2 USD/day and he said that he has a "friend" who knows the police, and can try to get me the extension for $2/day. I'm meeting with him tomorrow, and have no intention of revisiting the police station.

I would be interested to know if anyone knows the "official" cost (per day) and service fee for the tourist visa extension. The good news is that the police confirmed that you can extend TWO TIMES (that is 60 additional days beyond the first visa-on-arrival). Although the cost is WAY HIGH, at least it is possible to extend for up to three months in case you end up with one of the seemingly more frequent visa issues in the countries neighboring Thailand.

Fingers crossed.

FF 

12 minutes ago, FrankyFreedom said:

Thanks for the insightful feedback Jack. Since I was really caught off guard by this, and don't like to rush anything these days, I though it would be best to pursue the safest solution, beginning with attempting to extend my current Laos tourist visa for 30 days, to allow some more time to either pull the necessary funds together to successfully cross back to Mukhdahan next month, OR attempt to get the 3-month Vietnam tourist visa and ride the mountain bike to the Lao Bao border. I ABHOR public transport - especially LONG trips packed in with a bunch of people I don't know - along with a pretty narly case of claustrophobia/sociophobia/germphobia. Hahah!

That being said, embarked on a adventure this morning which turned out to be more enjoyable than my last annual "digital prostate examination". That is, I went down to the "immigration" office/dock on the river in Savannakhet. The folks INSIDE the office were okay and helpful (albeit sans much English language skills), but the tuk-tuk mafia loitering outside is not my type of crowd. After several dirty looks I locked up the bike one city block away at a food stall. The immigration officers then directed me to the city police office, which is where things just got MORE fun. Basically, the "visa extension" officers quoted me 20k kip (~$2.50 USD/day) + 30k (~ $4 USD) service fee. It was to my understanding, from MORE THAN ONE source, that the official cost is $2/day and $3/fee :

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/Laos-visa-extension.html

(this site info is currently maintained regularly)

So, this would cost ~ $75 USD at the police station, versus ~ $63 (official). I politely told the officer that I would consult with my "friend" at the travel agency in town to confirm the official price. Got a slight dirty/guilt look from that, and at that point reverted to my cardinal rule that the ONLY time I should be in a "developing world" police station is if I have done something wrong. Needless to say, I did indeed proceed right down to the travel agency, and talked to the owner on the phone (as we wasn't in the office today) and he confirmed that to his knowledge the cost of the extension IS only $2 USD/day and he said that he has a "friend" who knows the police, and can try to get me the extension for $2/day. I'm meeting with him tomorrow, and have no intention of revisiting the police station.

I would be interested to know if anyone knows the "official" cost (per day) and service fee for the tourist visa extension. The good news is that the police confirmed that you can extend TWO TIMES (that is 60 additional days beyond the first visa-on-arrival). Although the cost is WAY HIGH, at least it is possible to extend for up to three months in case you end up with one of the seemingly more frequent visa issues in the countries neighboring Thailand.

Fingers crossed.

FF 

Twighlight zone springs to mind reading your posts. So  your getting a mate of a guy you dont know to try and barter it down with the police which you have no intention of visiting again. Which begs the question how are you going to get it done if they say you can save your $12. Surley your not going to give your passport to a mate of a man you dont know are you? If as you say its $63 official why are you not getting it done officialy?

Edited by jeab1980