RTN clarifies on Chinese submarine deal

RTN clarifies on Chinese submarine deal

IMG_0975.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy announced today (Monday) that the Yuan-class S26T diesel electric submarine it decided to purchase from China was worth the spending and the sub could operate in the Gulf of Thailand.

In its first official statement since the cabinet quietly approved the RTN’s plan to procure one submarine from China at an estimated 13 billion baht last week, triggering widespread criticism against the lack of transparency in which the project was endorsed, Admiral Luechai Rooddit, the navy chief-of-staff, stressed the need of the RTN to have a submarine after having lost its capability in submarine warfare for not having one sub for over six decades while most countries in the region have commissioned submarines in their services.

The acquisition of Yuan-class S26T diesel electric Chinese submarine will mark the turning point of the RTN in laying the foundation for underwater warfare, said the admiral.

He dismissed the widespread claim that the submarine would get stuck in the seabed in the Gulf which averages only 50 metres deep, saying that, during the Second World War, submarines of the US and Allied forces plied the Gulf occasionally, inflicting damages to Thailand which allied with the Axis.

Admiral Luechai also said that the RTN had regularly joined war game with the US in the Gulf with the participation of US submarines without any problem.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rtn-clarifies-chinese-submarine-deal/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-5-1

They are all just idiots. Submarines "occasionally" came into the gulf in WW2? Yeah! Because it is so shallow it was a high risk mission you morons.

And now they want one out there permanently. Something inferior to what is available, in shallow water. With Chinese made depth gauges?

At an exorbitant price the country can't afford. Without any reasonable explanation as to why it is needed.

This country badly needs to see the back of this bunch of clowns. I see this stupidity ending badly.

Where were out TVN guys asking the hard hitting questions? Where were any of the journo's? Did and one ask the brown shirts any questions? Nothing in the OP.

Maybe there are a few deck chairs that can be strategically placed for any back chatters, when the subs go out on duty. No back chatters on duty at the meeting today.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

They are all just idiots. Submarines "occasionally" came into the gulf in WW2? Yeah! Because it is so shallow it was a high risk mission you morons.

And now they want one out there permanently. Something inferior to what is available, in shallow water. With Chinese made depth gauges?

At an exorbitant price the country can't afford. Without any reasonable explanation as to why it is needed.

This country badly needs to see the back of this bunch of clowns. I see this stupidity ending badly.

Most missions in wartime ARE!

There are two midget submarines (X-craft) off the coast of Phuket Town. Phang Na Bay tends to be a bit shallow as well btw.

One thing not pointed out in and amongst all the angst over this is that two subs will be operating in the Andaman Sea.

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

One thing not pointed out in and amongst all the angst over this is that two subs will be operating in the Andaman Sea.

Why operate in the Adaman Sea which is southeast of the Bay of Bengal and south of Mynmar when the land access to Thailand is through the Gulf of Thailand. 

Hang on! Other countries have subs so Thailand must do. Since when did Thailand care about what other contries do? Thailand is a unique and delicate flower. Be different to other countries and don't have subs. You've lasted 60 years without them. 

Go for it! Fill your pockets.The people most effected by the purchase are not smart enough to mount any resistance. They have more pressing issues to worry about, how to pay off the new Honda Scoopy, how to pay off the new iPhone, what to eat for lunch, where to get bullets for their guns!

Edited by PatOngo

" Admiral Luechai also said that the RTN had regularly joined war game with the US in the Gulf with the participation of US submarines without any problem "

Doesn't this destroy the previous arguement, that the RTN needs this new submarine, to practice anti-submarine wafrare against ? :whistling:

One of the points about submarine warfare is, I think, that your enemy doesn't know where you are.  Do you really think the Chinese (if China ever became "the enemy") won't know where these subs are 100% of the time. They will be able to track them for ever.  I lived in Ghana for a while, and the Ministry of Defence building was built, and paid for, by China. I wonder why !

So the Chinese now know, just exactly where Ghana is, 100% of the time ? ! :shock1:

Just kidding ! :jap:

The answer to your question is of course  'offshore-oil'  ...  I guess the RTN need subs to guard Thailand's own oil/gas-fields, so that nobody sneaks off with them, in the night  ...  in which case one hopes that they can operate in-the-dark, unlike a certain former-PM's helicopter !  :whistling:

Just a very expensive toy to play with and after a couple of near misses, or even sinking's of Thai Fishing Vessels, or a disaster on the seabed it will be tied up next to the rotting hulk of the Aircraft Carrier.

Who would want to go to sea in this Sub' with Executive Officers who no nothing of Sub's and probably have trouble doing anything on Surface Ships other then pushing Refugee Boats back out to sea ?

This whole fiasco can only end in tears, mainly for the Thai Public who have to pay for it !

The subs should be adequate enough to at least dive but as for resurfacing? That may be a tricky task to complete taking into considering where the subs were constructed!

On a serious note.

Thais being kept in a confined space, submerged for long periods of time! I'm not so sure they have it in them to deal with such demands, in such conditions?

Good luck to them. Up to them!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The subs should be adequate enough to at least dive but as for resurfacing? That may be a tricky task to complete taking into considering where the subs were constructed!

On a serious note.

Thais being kept in a confined space, submerged for long periods of time! I'm not so sure they have it in them to deal with such demands, in such conditions?

Good luck to them. Up to them!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

*consideration

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app