Songkran road safety measures evaluated for possible adjustments

Songkran road safety measures evaluated for possible adjustments

BANGKOK, 2 May 2017 (NNT) – The Road Safety Directing Center has convened a meeting to assess the effectiveness of road safety measures used during the past Songkran holiday in order to make necessary adjustments for the future. 

Permanent Secretary for Interior Grisada Boonrach, in his capacity as vice chairman of the Road Safety Directing Center, said the meeting was to extract lessons from road accident prevention efforts during the Songkran Festival this year. Together with relevant units, the center discussed the imposed road safety measures to determine whether each of them is effective, needs improvement or must be canceled. 

Mr Grisada revealed that the Interior Ministry hopes to come up with better road safety measures that will be accepted by the public. Once conclusions have been drawn, the new set of measures will be presented to the Interior Minister for submission to the Cabinet accordingly. 

Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Chatchai Promlert expressed readiness to incorporate any suggestions from the Road Safety Directing Center into its drafting of a new road accident prevention guideline. He said emphasis will be placed on the reduction of risk factors and the use of the Pracharat policy to encourage public participation in fostering road safety in their neighborhood.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-02

Meetings to discuss the effectiveness of road safety!

It's not rocket science. Yet more waste of time and money...

Educate drivers.
Better checks on vehicles.
Better road management.

ENFORCE THE LAW,

More police on patrol and get traffic wardens on the beat too.

Stop these idiots riding bikes with no helmets, using mobile phones, four on one bike and so on.

So many times I've seen totally illegally road users being flippant and infant of the police who turn a blind eye.

Meetings do nothing, action makes results.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Speeding

Driving under the influence of drink/drugs

Driving for prolonged periods without adequate breaks

Address those three items first and then worry about educating drivers/increasing standards at testing/highway codes/how many people can travel in the flatbeds of pickups.

Even raising the amount of enforcement here will not change habits when the police are so easily and cheaply bought off. The one time someone tried to bribe me in the police in the UK I said it would cost him over £1.5 million pounds (75 million baht) for me to even consider it due to the risk to my remaining twenty years of salary and pension (15 years and counting). He thought that was excessive to get off a drink driving charge. Not like here, a few thousand baht.

Pay the police a living wage and nail them hard for corruption and all these problems reduce considerably. Will take a groundswell of public opinion here to change, that I don't see in the Thai character and culture.

9 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Even raising the amount of enforcement here will not change habits when the police are so easily and cheaply bought off. The one time someone tried to bribe me in the police in the UK I said it would cost him over £1.5 million pounds (75 million baht) for me to even consider it due to the risk to my remaining twenty years of salary and pension (15 years and counting). He thought that was excessive to get off a drink driving charge. Not like here, a few thousand baht.

Pay the police a living wage and nail them hard for corruption and all these problems reduce considerably. Will take a groundswell of public opinion here to change, that I don't see in the Thai character and culture.

easier to half  the force and pay them double, lets  face it most  just sit  on their now somewhat fat rses

Edited by kannot

On 5/2/2017 at 9:14 AM, webfact said:

Permanent Secretary for Interior Grisada Boonrach, in his capacity as vice chairman of the Road Safety Directing Center, said the meeting was to extract lessons from road accident prevention efforts during the Songkran Festival

The teachers are many, and obvious. The pupils, though, seem patently incapable of interpreting what they are being told.