Immigration denies helping “Boss” escape arrest

webfact

Immigration denies helping “Boss” escape arrest

IMG_0995.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau chief has denied accusation that immigration police have helped to facilitate the escape of Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya or Boss out of the country.

Denial by the bureau chief Pol Lt Gen Nattatorn Prohsunthorn came after the report of Boss leaving the country just four days before arrest warrant was issued by the Southern Bangkok District Court, went viral on the social media with most people strongly criticising the Immigration Bureau in handling the case.

The bureau chief made clear that Thong Lor police who handled Boss case did not ban him leaving the country because his offence is not serious but just a reckless driving case.

Besides, he also turned in to the police to defend in court, so the immigration police have no authority to prevent him from leaving.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/immigration-denies-helping-boss-escape-arrest/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-03

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's in Singapore if they want to know...

From the BBC site today

'The Associated Press news agency said Singapore airport authorities had confirmed with them that Mr Vorayuth's private plane was in the country as of Tuesday' Note :- that's last Tuesday...

Edited by kmj

As if any Thai in a uniform would admit any mistakes in public anyways. Even if footage of the mistake was recorded it would miraculously go missing or be inconclusive, or maybe this is just another misunderstanding... Lots of them in cases such as this when untouchables are involved

The bureau chief made clear that Thong Lor police who handled Boss case did not ban him leaving the country because his offence is not serious but just a reckless driving case.

So that's how the killing of a policeman is classified here???

And BTW, it's not just reckless driving, but reckless driving causing death with a potential 10 year maximum jail sentence if convicted.

But, technically, it would seem the Immigration chief was correct. There was no arrest warrant out for the guy at the time he left the country (though there should have been).  The authorities/police never confiscated the guy's passport (though they should have). And as far as I can tell, they never even asked for or obtained a court order that would have barred him from leaving the country at any time since the crash.

The entire system over the past 5 years has done its darndest to try to get this thing to fade away in obscurity. And it would seem, they're still trying to accomplish that end.

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

"reckless driving resulting in death" possible ten years in the Monkey House...

Fact that he has already missed numerous court hearings why was his passport not cancelled???

Should hold a trial in absentia, failing to attend should be an automatic plea of guilty.

This was all timed perfectly, Daddy's money made sure of it. Now he's gone and the Thais will fumble around with one excuse after another until he jas a new passport and citizenship. Then, his revoked passport doesn't matter. And with the kind of money he has, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to aquire a diplomatic passport from somewhere.

Even Stevie Wonder can see how this all plays out. 

Something is not adding up with this comment.

Besides, he also turned in to the police to defend in court, so the immigration police have no authority to prevent him from leaving.

I'll give Thai Visa the benefit of the doubt and say that the story has been written by someone who doesn't have a perfect grasp of English.

That said it is a strange, subjective comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He's in Singapore if they want to know...

From the BBC site today

'The Associated Press news agency said Singapore airport authorities had confirmed with them that Mr Vorayuth's private plane was in the country as of Tuesday' Note :- that's last Tuesday...

You hit the nail on the head.
The fact is that no Thai with a uniform on wants to be the guy that actually nails this rat.
That'd be like ensuring you go to purgatory.
So, no, nobody wants to know. They'll just keep shifting the matter on as soon as it hits their desk, like a hot potato.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Fact that he has already missed numerous court hearings why was his passport not cancelled???

Should hold a trial in absentia, failing to attend should be an automatic plea of guilty.

Automatic guilty plea if tried in absentia? lol That is just wrong on just about every level one can think of. 

16 hours ago, Basil B said:

and they are not even going to charge him for not stopping and dragging the victim until he was dead, fleeing the scene and perverting the course of justice by getting someone else to try and take the blame

17 hours ago, the guest said:

Thailand really is a laughing stock of the world. How on earth could you take this country seriously, when the authorities behave in such a childish manner?

It needs to hit the press in a serious manner. I can see the headlines: "Red Bull" FI sponsor flees justice for reckless driving causing death".  The FI team should drop this sponsor...but I guess the smell of money is too strong.

Edited by DavisH

For the past 5 years the Thai legal system has done backflips to avoid having to actually

prosecute "Boss". Why should things change now. :tongue:

16 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It needs to hit the press in a serious manner. I can see the headlines: "Red Bull" FI sponsor flees justice for reckless driving causing death".  The FI team should drop this sponsor...but I guess the smell of money is too strong.

I agree. Only when the International media highlight the absurdity of NOT bringing this man to face a trial for killing a policeman, will Thai authorities actually do something other than pass the buck. For starters, get Singapore to impound his private plane and send him back to BKK. Well, I can only hope...

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I agree. Only when the International media highlight the absurdity of NOT bringing this man to face a trial for killing a policeman, will Thai authorities actually do something other than pass the buck. For starters, get Singapore to impound his private plane and send him back to BKK. Well, I can only hope...

Supposedly, he cannot avoid passing through immigration in any country, even with a private plane. I guess there is no extradition treaty with Singapore. I doubt he will go back to the UK for some time now. 

Despicable as this entire fiasco is, in fairness to immigration they can only stop someone from leaving on orders from the police- or other government entity.  

So this guy is completely in the right.  Sucks, but I don't see how it could work out any other way.

Now, the folks that have done everything in their powers to delay sending that request to immigration?  They should be tarred and feathered.

20 hours ago, Basil B said:

A trial in absentia is not a plea. It's a trial requested by the State in which the State presents its evidence and although an attorney for the absent defendant can appear and cross examine winesss it's almost always a finding of guilty .