Bangkok cyclist killed by bus on way to catch bus

webfact

Bangkok cyclist killed by bus on way to catch bus
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A 57-year-old woman cycling to a Bangkok bus terminal was struck and killed by one of the buses on Friday morning.

Police said Jinnakarn Kaewopas of Klong Toei district was killed in the left lane of inbound Sunthorn Kosa Road near the customs intersection at about 8am. 

Her relatives told police she would typically ride her bicycle to the terminal and catch a bus to the Pratunam area, where she sold clothes.

Police have not charged No 13 bus driver Monthien Rittem, 38.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314315

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-05

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Hello ! She was in the left lane, where she should have been, and the driver has not been charged with anything ? This should cause a surge in bicycle sales !

Buses are also supposed to use the left lane whenever possible...nothing wrong with the bus being there. Why do you automatically assume the bus driver was in the wrong? You don't know anything about what happened.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Maybe it's because bicycles have the right of way and Thai drivers drive like they don't realize that?

Ever been a pedestrian on a Thai  street?

Do bicycles and pedestrians actually have unconditional legal "Right of Way" in Thai law? Are you sure?  I'm not saying they don't but in many ways Thai civil laws mirror Chinese civil laws and there, pedestrians and bicycles do not have automatic RoW. As a matter of fact, a driver can be issued a citation if he or she comes to an unexpected stop for a pedestrian in an unauthorized (non-crosswalk) zone.

This isn't the west where cars are required to come to a screeching halt the moment a pedestrian's foot touches a road pavement.

Regardless of who has right of way riders are killed all the time here.  I gave up cycling on Thai roads years ago after too many near misses and a couple of times being shoved off the road.  Thai's go by the mantra of 'I am bigger (vehicle) than you so I have right of way'. Don't believe me?  Have a look at how drivers of trucks treat car users.  Same same but different only in the relative size of vehicles involved.