That ban on riding in the back of pickups

Bangkok Barry

We were told that the law against riding in the back of pickups would be strictly enforced after Songkran. I've been out and about and still plenty of it going on. Why do officials even bother opening their mouths to spout such nonsense. When has any law in Thailand ever been strictly enforced. Everyone knows they can ignore anything that is said with impunity, except when the tea fund is getting a bit low. Of course, that is one of the great attractions to many foreigners in Thailand, the fact that everyone is allowed to break the law even if it puts their own life and that of others in danger. Freedom from the nanny state and all that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Shhhhhh!

Don't remind them.

Yes, all in good time. Wait until there's a repeat of the minivan/pickup inferno and they will all over it like a case of somtam-induced cancer or sexpats on Walking Street.

Why do you care what others are doing? If others do not use seat belts, helmets or sitting behind in a pick up it will have no impact on your life. Take care of yourself and shut up.

*drunk driving, reckless driving and highspeed driving is the problem 

Because it harms others around them...

And if you can't accept how things works in Thailand, pack your back and get hell out of here, or if you are a toruist stop coming here, go somewhere else, the only on that can do something abut what you don't like it's yourself.. the choice is your's.

13 minutes ago, bapoboy said:

Why do you care what others are doing? If others do not use seat belts, helmets or sitting behind in a pick up it will have no impact on your life. Take care of yourself and shut up.

And if you can't accept how things works in Thailand, pack your back and get hell out of here, or if you are a toruist stop coming here, go somewhere else, the only on that can do something abut what you don't like it's yourself.. the choice is your's.

You must be Thai, telling me to pack my back (sic) and selfishly leave and desert my family here.

Ignoring and not enforcing one law leads to people ignoring any and every law - including drunk driving as we saw during Songkran. It's like a cancer. My main point was that, despite the PM insisting that the law will be strictly enforced it is not happening. As everyone expects and why they ignore what he said.

Why do I care? Because ignoring the pickup law leads to ignoring them all, and the driver of a pickup who ignores the law on passengers in the back is just as likely to ignore the law on drunk driving. And then that driver might wipe out himself, his passengers and anyone else he might crash into or mow down. And that might be me or members of my family. That is why enforcing the law all the time is a good idea. Otherwise, what is the point of having a police force?

Got it now?

The ban was ill conceived given the economic realities that would have put a lot of those people on scooters which is multiples more dangerous than riding in the back of a pickup.

Glad to see they realized they'd be killing lots of folks if they enforced it,

I thought they put off implementation of this until next year, until they reformulated some laws, which seems a bit crazy as we were also told those laws were already in place.

There has been absolutely no impact in my area.

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is why enforcing the law all the time is a good idea. Otherwise, what is the point of having a police force?

Got it now?

Be careful what you wish for.  If they started enforcing all the laws on prostitution and after hours drinking (on your suggestion), you may be subject to a lynching.  

And since none of those issues concern me personally, I'm not going to rail in favor of enforcing them - especially riding in the back of a pickup, which is much safer than some of the legal alternatives.

I was saying the same thing to my Mrs. She insists that it is not due to be enforced till the next New Year. 

I still think that it was Songkran that was meant when the authorities said they were putting off enforcement till the New Year.

14 hours ago, bapoboy said:

Another one who believes you can't have an opinion or if you do you should immediately leave Thailand. Grow up.

They announced the ban and then realized that the police use their pickups to transport people they arrest. Government realized that they could not afford to buy new vehicles for the police, because they had just spent too much money on a Submarine.

14 hours ago, bapoboy said:

Come on bapoboy!  This guy is entitled to his opinion and can vent if he likes.  You sound like the pansy liberals back in the States who want to shut down free speech just because others have a differing opinion. When you try to bully people like this poster, you make others apprehensive about posting on the forum, then all we have left are potty mouths like you!

11 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

Come on bapoboy!  This guy is entitled to his opinion and can vent if he likes.  You sound like the pansy liberals back in the States who want to shut down free speech just because others have a differing opinion. When you try to bully people like this poster, you make others apprehensive about posting on the forum, then all we have left are potty mouths like you!

As I recall, the "Love it or Leave it" mantra didn't come from the liberal pansy side.

Edited by impulse

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You must be Thai, telling me to pack my back (sic) and selfishly leave and desert my family here.

Ignoring and not enforcing one law leads to people ignoring any and every law - including drunk driving as we saw during Songkran. It's like a cancer. My main point was that, despite the PM insisting that the law will be strictly enforced it is not happening. As everyone expects and why they ignore what he said.

Why do I care? Because ignoring the pickup law leads to ignoring them all, and the driver of a pickup who ignores the law on passengers in the back is just as likely to ignore the law on drunk driving. And then that driver might wipe out himself, his passengers and anyone else he might crash into or mow down. And that might be me or members of my family. That is why enforcing the law all the time is a good idea. Otherwise, what is the point of having a police force?

Got it now?

What does (sic) mean?

1 hour ago, Saan said:

Another one who believes you can't have an opinion or if you do you should immediately leave Thailand. Grow up.

Yes, how right you are, there are far too many Thaivisa posters who are members of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, how right you are, there are far too many Thaivisa posters who are members of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

hi possum,  I'm drinking again as usual,  last night I had beer then a bottle of wine. I'm half cut and staggering again... :burp:   i think my bones are not as strong as 30yrs ago ..

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Got it now?

You might have a family here but ranting sounds like you are <deleted> .

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hi possum,  I'm drinking again as usual,  last night I had beer then a bottle of wine. I'm half cut and staggering again... :burp:   i think my bones are not as strong as 30yrs ago ..

What do you mean "drinking again"? Did you actually stop?:drunk:

What does (sic) mean?

"Sic in brackets is an editing term used with quotations or excerpts. It means “that's really how it appears in the original.” It is used to point out a grammatical error, misspelling, misstatement of fact, or, as above, the unconventional spelling of a name."

Or " I know it's spelt wrong I'm just repeating how it was written "

No (sic) what I mean ?

Riding in the back of pickups will be difficult to enforce. Too ingrained in the culture. Anyhow it makes sense at times; but not high speed on main routes. Wife recons it will not happen. What about all those folks with space cabs; now they are not allowed in the back? Glad I bought a 4 door pickup; much more comfortable and we still have the convenience of the flat bed; but it's 10 years old but still drives well since it has a careful low usage owner! 

16 hours ago, bapoboy said:

Is it really necessary to be that nasty to the OP ?  All he was doing was commenting on his observations. He has that right !

Maybe it is time for you to "pack your bags ...". 

17 hours ago, bapoboy said:

Sorry pal but you're out of order. No excuse for that shameful response. In all honesty you should be embarrassed with your pig headed rant. I suspect you are a full blown bullying coward in the flesh from reading your comment.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Got it now?

The reason it is going unenforced is that it is idiotic as it effects Thai businesses down to the family home.  thee will be a Thai revolt and the Gov doesn't need this. It will cripple Thailand a bit as from red Trucks in Chiang Mai as example, to construction crews to and from sites going all the way to the country aspect in Issan as is a daily way of life whether the king cab or the back of the truck. Bangkok Barry, I suggest you stay in Bangkok with your Bangkokonian family and don't travel anywhere, then you are assured your safety. why do foreigners stick their 2 cents and nose in Thailand for where it doesn't belong! I could say that it is people like you that make Thailand more unattractive as people like you come here and you gain numbers here. don't like the water then take your family somewhere else.  

A few savvy entrepreneurs are already setting up shop selling the high rail fixtures (seeing more & more), even full-on caps because if/when they go beyond selectively enforcing, it's going to be a booming (cash) business.

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

They announced the ban and then realized that the police use their pickups to transport people they arrest. Government realized that they could not afford to buy new vehicles for the police, because they had just spent too much money on a Submarine.

You appear to be giving credit for something which is not there?

Like most people I thought it unlikely and difficult to put in place . Maybe just keep the kids out of the back of the vehicles and enforce that strictly..   That may work if there is a hefty cash fine to pay.