9 years overstay

On 5/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, dbrenn said:

Oh dear, the TV overstay moral police have come out in force. 

Long overstay is our birth rights because we are entitled to break laws and rules of a Third a World Country as our ancestors did in the past through out Asia and Africa. We are privileged because we come from high wage countries and our superior contributions to this land must be recognized. How dare a low wage nation put barriers to our unfettered access to living in their lands.

• Haha 1

From the link:

3)    If you have already overstayed beyond the permitted and do not leave before the order’s enforce date on 20 March 2016, you will be fined 500/day, but not exceeding 20,000 baht and banned from re-entering the Kingdom of Thailand as shown in the details below..

It's quite past 20 March 2016.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:53 AM, BritTim said:

Leaving aside the attempt to hide your identity, this is the procedure. Once the person on overstay is discovered, he is arrested and taken to court. The court assesses a fine for the overstay of up to 20,000 baht (but usually less). He is then transferred to the immigration detention center (IDC). If he has money for the fine assessed in court plus an (expensive) air ticket direct to home country, usually on the national airline, and he has a current passport (or emergency travel document) he is in principle free to be deported. If he has no money for the fine, the fine is reduced by 200 baht for each day he is held in the IDC. The Thai authorities will never pay for the deportation. These days, in most cases, the authorities in your home country will also not pay the cost of deportation. There are charities that may eventually pay the cost of deportation for the indigent, but only after years languishing in the IDC. While the IDC is not bad by the standards of Thai jails, you would need a pretty good constitution to survive years there.

If the Thai authorities cannot verify your identity, I would imagine they would hold you in a regular Thai jail until they can. Once your identity is established, see above.

yeah IDC is well alright, i got held there for a few hours about ten years ago, i paid my 20k they wanted a few pictures lol, talked about football and on my way.

water is free, there was food too, its not even a jail.

On 5/6/2017 at 5:17 AM, ezzra said:

Not the one to gloat, overstaying for 9 years only shows utter disregards and disrespect

of the host country laws and rules, one can understand a few days or few weeks,

but 9 years? man, and we keep complain of how hard and uncompromising the

immigrations rules are.....

your input has zero relevance whatsoever

On 5/6/2017 at 8:01 AM, impulse said:

Keeping in mind the majority of his overstay occurred during a time when such an extended overstay could be cleared up with 20,000 baht and the perpetrator could fly out and return very next day, I don't see what all the condemnation is about.  It used to be a very common practice to maximize the days in country for the inevitable 20,000 fine.  It's only been in the last couple of years that the rules tightened up.

I'd suggest the guy write a book detailing how to stay under the radar for so long.  Lots of folks who don't have the juevos to post up here could probably benefit.

BTW, I'm on a very legal WP before anyone goes there in reply to my post here.  But I agree- there but for the Grace of God (or the luck of the draw for you atheists).

Seeing as he has overstayed for such a length of time I doubt that writing is within his capabilities. After all he doesn't seem to be able to read the rules governing overstays .

On 5/9/2018 at 8:13 PM, overherebc said:

Another year old thread.

And the problem is? 

If more people would locate older threads and post or ask questions then there would not be such repetitious

blah blah that was already discussed   Threads like retirement visas and new threads constantly started asking the same old questions that have been asked/answered many many times. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

yeah IDC is well alright, i got held there for a few hours about ten years ago, i paid my 20k they wanted a few pictures lol, talked about football and on my way.

Wow did you do a full few hours there? You must really know all about it then

Try asking the guys that have been held in there for a few years if it's "well alright"

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

And the problem is? 

If more people would locate older threads and post or ask questions then there would not be such repetitious

blah blah that was already discussed   Threads like retirement visas and new threads constantly started asking the same old questions that have been asked/answered many many times. 

Lots of questions are being asked because it's the first time that person has asked the question. Many new to TV might not be aware of or how to use the search system so for them if they want a quick answer to their problem or to find out if any new regulations have come into play it's the best way to do it.

5 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Wow did you do a full few hours there? You must really know all about it then

Try asking the guys that have been held in there for a few years if it's "well alright"

Probably sat in the office for a few hours and not one of the cells.

4 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

This reads more like you being held in the detention cell at the airport rather than IDC. If you paid the full 20k fine, it suggests you were never taken to court. Also, it seems you already had a flight ticket to leave the country: i.e. there was no need to arrange formal deportation.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2561 at 8:34 PM, onera1961 said:

Long overstay is our birth rights because we are entitled to break laws and rules of a Third a World Country as our ancestors did in the past through out Asia and Africa. We are privileged because we come from high wage countries and our superior contributions to this land must be recognized. How dare a low wage nation put barriers to our unfettered access to living in their lands.

Really, so I guess you've got the bumper sticker 'I'm entitled!'

I had an overstay of 11 years but I cleared it in 2014 when rumours of the new blacklisting rules were going to be introduced. At that time I surrendered at the immigration at the airport with the 20k fine and a ticket out, The process to clear the paperwork took about 30 minutes and I was let on my way. At that time so long as one paid the fine it was not a problem such that I re-entered Thailand 4 days later from Kuala Lumpur. On my arrival, I was taken to the side where I spoke to the senior i/o and I was granted a 30-day visa exempt entry. Since then I have had a variety of visas and never had a problem securing those visas or re-entering Thailand. Since 2016 the conditions changed and the process of surrendering at the airport is the same with a maximum 20k Baht fine but now, in addition, a period of not being allowed re-entry is also noted in your passport. There was no imprisonment, detention or anything else so long as you "surrender" and are not caught beforehand then the easiest way is to deal with it at the airport pay the fine and the now length of blacklisting and you will be allowed to depart. Immigration was signalling for a period that the blacklisting rules were going to be introduced and many like me took that opportunity to legitimise their immigration status. On a final note I found the immigration officers who dealt with my overstay very professional and while not overtly friendly they treated me courteously which I much appreciated at the time. Good luck to those now dealing with such matters,

• Like 1

On 2017-05-06 at 12:17 AM, ezzra said:

Not the one to gloat, overstaying for 9 years only shows utter disregards and disrespect

of the host country laws and rules, one can understand a few days or few weeks,

but 9 years? man, and we keep complain of how hard and uncompromising the

immigrations rules are.....

I quite agree, with your comment. I have stayed in Thailand for many years, and never broken the law, paid my taxes and been what could be interpreted as a 'model' foreigner. Yet some chose to flout the law with impunity, and it is for this reason why immigration have tightened everything up because of a few rotten apples. 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, tolsti said:

Seeing as he has overstayed for such a length of time I doubt that writing is within his capabilities. After all he doesn't seem to be able to read the rules governing overstays .

zero input

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, the guest said:

I quite agree, with your comment. I have stayed in Thailand for many years, and never broken the law, paid my taxes and been what could be interpreted as a 'model' foreigner. Yet some chose to flout the law with impunity, and it is for this reason why immigration have tightened everything up because of a few rotten apples. 

zero help

• Like 1

id like to say, just stay, if he has money, no point in getting blacklisted, don't leave.

if he doesn't have money, go to Burma, that's the next place probably open, Burmese are alright, i cant speak a word of Burmese but seems decent, cross border, 20k, jobs a gooden.