Pattaya taxis given slap on the wrist for "Uber misunderstanding"

rooster59

Pattaya taxis given slap on the wrist for "Uber misunderstanding"

taxi.PNG

Image: Thai Rath

Representatives from five Pattaya taxi operators were summoned yesterday following the incident where a realtor was hounded by 20 cabs at the resort who thought she was working for Uber.

The incident caused widespread criticism as the 31 year old woman concerned had merely picked up three Chinese visitors at Central Marina to show them properties in the area.

Her car was followed and then hemmed in as a threatening situation developed before police were called.

Yesterday local station chief Apichai Krobpetch chaired a crisis meeting of police, land transport officials, local government reps and five taxi operators at the resort.

The taxi operators were told to follow regulations and under no circumstances repeat this week's incident, reported Thai Rath.

They were told that if they suspect Uber drivers are operating then the relevant authorities must be informed to take action. They must not take the law into their own hands.

Thai Rath reported that the drivers concerned in this week's incident are members of the Taxi Loma Pattaya association.

President of the Pattaya taxi drivers' association Anan Pheuakwattana apologized for what happened but said that it was as a result of the actions of a small minority of his membership.

He said he would pass on the views of the meeting to members of his association.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-06

The whole Uber/Grab/Metred Taxis issue needs resolving pronto before someone gets hurt or worse. Those promoting and using car sharing on this forum could end up in a nasty situation for doing no more than travelling from A to B. 

A slap on the wrist seems perfectly applicable here. Let's wait till a mob of taxi drivers beats and kills an Uber driver, or someone mistaken for an Uber driver, before we start dishing out 3000 Baht fines. 

6 minutes ago, bigtrouble said:

Got off the Hua hin ferry and to the Meter taxi to soi Buakhao, a 10 minute trip 300 baht.. Laughed in his face.

I guess tourist's actually pay that or they wouldn't ask

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I just did an uberestimate for a similar trip.

Range was 85 to 104.

Reasonable for Pattaya but I think still easily double Bangkok taxi rates.

I just did an uberestimate for a similar trip.

Range was 85 to 104.

Reasonable for Pattaya but I think still easily double Bangkok taxi rates.

Yep a 40 baht trip in BKK as I only needed to go near the tuk com end, very short trip

1 minute ago, bigtrouble said:

Yep a 40 baht trip in BKK

Yes, and the fake taxi meters could still make it by working and competing with Uber fares. But they'd rather be idle most of the time and wait for the desperate and the suckers. 

Nobody expects Bangkok level fares here so they would have that advantages if they face reality that they actually have to drive their cars a lot to make a living. 

Edited by Jingthing

Uber and their ilk eg airbnb, ebay, amazon, google deserve all the crap that is pushed their way.

They dont do anything but avoid tax and line their pockets.

Happy to see anyone get off lightly for sticking it up them.

Good on you taxi operators.

Keep it up

17 hours ago, MROLL320 said:

The other day she was picking her boss up and it was from the airport? Or has this happened twice? 

What is your point..... part of her job involves driving!

14 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Uber and their ilk eg airbnb, ebay, amazon, google deserve all the crap that is pushed their way.

Keep it up

If they offer a decent service at a decent price, there would be need need for Uber or other ride sharing apps. Instead the would rather lay idle waiting to rip someone off with a ridiculously high priced fare, best place for these taxi hoodlums is at the bottom of the ocean in their taxi.

600 baht Bang Sare to Jomtien.  No meter.  When will Town Hall or the Navy/Army take on this Mafia branch?  When will the Government intervene as they have with the BKK branch of the same organisation?

I have had several rides in private cars in Thailand , with property agents , and Thai friends driving me around. Now they could end up in a car chase and get killed by the crazy Taxi mafia. :shock1:

16 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Keep it up

I guess you are located somewhere  where you dont have to put up with these jerks. Like Pattaya.

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

I guess you are located somewhere  where you dont have to put up with these jerks. Like Pattaya.

He's probably a taxi driver in NYC . 

On 5/6/2017 at 2:14 PM, rkidlad said:

A slap on the wrist seems perfectly applicable here. Let's wait till a mob of taxi drivers beats and kills an Uber driver, or someone mistaken for an Uber driver, before we start dishing out 3000 Baht fines. 

that is probably all it would be; and they would complain about that; shows the level of respect of law here and why it is so low

On 2017-5-6 at 5:29 AM, rooster59 said:

President of the Pattaya taxi drivers' association Anan Pheuakwattana apologized for what happened but said that it was as a result of the actions of a small minority of his membership.

Maybe He/She should call in all their drivers for a lesson on how to operate their meters :whistling: