Last night an ATM "Government Savings Bank" ate my Krung Thai bank card. The money also did not come out.

The card-hole had felt extremely tight as I pushed the card in, so I felt suspicious from the beginning but it was too late, it had been sucked in. After the transaction failed I could see the card attempting to push it's way back out, and I swiftly reached in my pocket for a key or coin to try to assist it, but too late - sucked back in never to return. The automatic SMS reported the withdrawal but so far no correction or any further SMS.

Since then I called both Government Savings Bank and Krung Thai Bank's "emergency" it after hours numbers many times but no English & no help. Also I don't carry my account numbers with me (who does?) so doubt they could help even if they understood.

This account contains (what is for me) a large amount, so I'm very nervous about it. Any advice or similar experiences? I can only think to cut my holiday short & return to my originating bank branch Monday. :'(

Do you have online access ? If so, check your balance and you can  report the problem online. As far as English, get a Thai speaker to help. Ask anyone, someone in your building, work, anyone...most are willing to help.

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

Do you have online access ? 

No, I don't trust online anything. But this evening I finally got through to a semi English speaker on Krung Thai Bank's 24 hour line & he told me (as I'd suspected) that they couldn't do anything for me without the account number. So now there's nothing to do but cut short my holiday & rush back to my hometown originating bank on Monday. :'(

1 minute ago, ClareQuilty said:

No, I don't trust online anything. But this evening I finally got through to a semi English speaker on Krung Thai Bank's 24 hour line & he told me (as I'd suspected) that they couldn't do anything for me without the account number. So now there's nothing to do but cut short my holiday & rush back to my hometown originating bank on Monday. :'(

I might suggest a move into the new age of internet banking to make your life a bit easier.

Not sure how it would help, other than offer hackers yet another way to steal my money. 

Apparently the necessary thing is, whenever on holiday, to carry one's passbook or at least account number around the whole time.

Online just as safe as ATM. Both connect to your accounts over highly secure internet protocol. Somewhat foolish not not have online access where you can monitor everything, conclude transactions and communicate with the bank.

In 21 years here,I have had two occasions when an ATM debited my account but did not eject the money. If you want to contact someone, you need to contact the bank that issued the card, not the bank that owns the ATM. I say "if you want to", because I think that after three or four days, the money will be restored to your account even if you do nothing. Note to those using non-Thai ATM cards: it reportedly takes longer; maybe a week or two.

Number one thing is to get the number of the machine 

Without that the ATM number GSB will not be able to watch out for the card once the machine is re- filled.  Location is important but since many banks have multiple machines in the same geographic location having the ATM number is a huge assist 

Did you try and call the number that is listed on the machine at the time this occurred ?

I also find it hard to believe that your bank cannot put a hold on the card  without your account number; your name, address and home bank location should be enough to block your account from unauthorized withdrawals 

Cards are destroyed once eaten - only if you are there in person and the force is with you will they not destroy from my understanding (been in bank when cards sorted and customers tried to get back).  

He said received an SMS - suspect his home bank should be able to act on that if he supplied that information to call center.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Cards are destroyed once eaten - only if you are there in person and the force is with you will they not destroy from my understanding (been in bank when cards sorted and customers tried to get back).  

Bank of Ayudhya ATM in Ban Amphur ate my card and I called the number on the machine and gave the machine number to the operator and the next day went into the nearest branch ( Jomtien) and they gave me my card back once I produced the normal signed copy of my Passport face page

Recently I had the same problem. I went to the SCB branch where my account is. They cancelled the old card and issued me a new card with a new PIN. New card works fine. It cost me a whopping 100 baht.

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

Bank of Ayudhya ATM in Ban Amphur ate my card and I called the number on the machine and gave the machine number to the operator and the next day went into the nearest branch ( Jomtien) and they gave me my card back once I produced the normal signed copy of my Passport face page

Of course I called the GSB emergency number on the machine, but they said they could do nothing for me - only gave me the Krung Thai 24 hour number. I saw no indication anywhere on the machine of a "machine number", though both I and the Family Mart staff searched extensively. Perhaps this is an indication it is a fake machine placed by fraudsters?

51 minutes ago, ClareQuilty said:

Of course I called the GSB emergency number on the machine, but they said they could do nothing for me - only gave me the Krung Thai 24 hour number. I saw no indication anywhere on the machine of a "machine number", though both I and the Family Mart staff searched extensively. Perhaps this is an indication it is a fake machine placed by fraudsters?

No, I'm seen plenty of ATMs with no idetificaiton visible to a customer to identify it as ATM XYZ...like ATM #7654, etc.    But on other ATMs I have seen identification.  Like many things in Thailand...no real standardization.

Unless you feel the ATM had a skimmer on it I would relax.

Get to the branch early when open with your passport.

I too have had transactions fail and appear to be debited, but were credited soon after. Even if not you can dispute the payment. I too have had the card eaten (put the wrong card in and hence wrong pin 3 times)... I went inside, they opened the ATM and just handed it back to me.

On 06/05/2017 at 11:21 PM, tonray said:

I might suggest a move into the new age of internet banking to make your life a bit easier.

You could add.....because one can't trust the old way either as example given by OP

Happened to me once just go to bank and explain what happened I then was issued a new card did tell them the location of the card eating ATM did not have any problems I now just keep small amount in that account and have others with no card TIT

Your experience was unfortunately so different from mine. I once had a problem where I could hear the ATM counting my money, but not dispatch them to me (I don't remember it the ATM ate my card or not). I was of course worried that some fraudster had blocked the dispatch hole and I would be charged the requested withdrawal. The ATM was not the same bank as my card. I called the emergency number on the machine and after a while manage to talk to an English speaking guy in some "control room". I gave him the approx street address. He checked on his computer and told me that he could see very well that I had requested to withdraw xxx Baht, but that machine had a problem and did not dispatch the money. He told me I would not be charged. He was right.

The only precaution I do today is to try to always use an ATM from my own bank. I'm sure that IF there is any problem, it will be easier to fix that way.

And of course I use Internet Banking. Certainly as safe as anything else. And sooo convenient.

1 minute ago, Naroge said:

The only precaution I do today is to try to always use an ATM from my own bank. I'm sure that IF there is any problem, it will be easier to fix that way.

Its also always a good idea to use an ATM attached to a bank rather than a 7/11.

This happened last week and would make any ones bum start making strange noises...

I have my banks SMS service that sends me a message if any cash goes in or out of my account..

I go to my nearest ATM to draw 8000bht, all works OK, machine says take your money, l can here it counting the cash, get message on my phone that 8000bht has been withdrawn..

The cash draw does NOT open, l get my card back, and the screen says the ATM is now out of order...:shock1:

I hang around in case the draw opens, feeeerk, l thought, it didn't open but l thought l bet if l walk it will open and give some one a happy day...Dashed home to get my bank book and headed to my bank...They fluffed around for about an hour until a high ranker came out, she just updated my book which showed the 8000bht was NOT withdrawn from my account. I said what about my SMS, don't worry about that. We went out to the banks ATM and we drew out 8000bht, got an SMS message to the fact....Smiles all round..

.facepalm.gif.57e4e9f57c296da6a6b73d0fbeeede92.gif

Edited by transam

I can never understand why, if an ATM keeps your card, why it cant then print an acknowledgement with the reason, the atm number, the help-desk phone number etc.

Usually when a machine eats your card you have to buy a new one. This a pain if is an expensive one with all the bells and whistles. I have an expensive visa and a cheap ATM card on my account and only put the ATM card in ATMs. Once bitten twice shy.

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

Usually when a machine eats your card you have to buy a new one. This a pain if is an expensive one with all the bells and whistles. I have an expensive visa and a cheap ATM card on my account and only put the ATM card in ATMs. Once bitten twice shy.

Why?  You are not making a new contract - just getting a replacement card - should be the standard 100 baht or so fee for any.

Happened to me last month at a Kasikorn ATM.
If you can't get help directly from GSM, call Krung Thai Bank hotline.
Usually the card will be sent to the nearest branch of the ATM.
So, check what's the closest GSM outlet and ask them if they have it.
You will need your passport of course.

41 minutes ago, Naroge said:

Your experience was unfortunately so different from mine. I once had a problem where I could hear the ATM counting my money, but not dispatch them to me (I don't remember it the ATM ate my card or not). I was of course worried that some fraudster had blocked the dispatch hole and I would be charged the requested withdrawal. The ATM was not the same bank as my card. I called the emergency number on the machine and after a while manage to talk to an English speaking guy in some "control room". I gave him the approx street address. He checked on his computer and told me that he could see very well that I had requested to withdraw xxx Baht, but that machine had a problem and did not dispatch the money. He told me I would not be charged. He was right.

And of course I use Internet Banking. Certainly as safe as anything else. And sooo convenient.

I learned that a long time ago.

Always, if possible, use an ATM of your own bank.

Told my family members to do the same thing.

Lost Baht 5000- at a ATM of a different bank on beach rd years ago, I think 30, no deliverance of money, and never got a baht reimbursed.

After a weeks time I went to that bank and got told that I did get the money as the proof was on the print out and I could take it up with the police, ha,ha,ha.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

BKK Bank didn't charge me anything for their ATM eating my card....:smile:

Yeap, a Bangkok Bank ATM outside of a Foodland store ate my Bangkok Bank card last year.  Went to my bank that afternoon to report it and get a new card.  No charge for the new card since I had not caused the problem.  

And in my question as to "Why did the ATM eat my card" the bank didn't have a good answer.   Later that week when going back to that Foodland and talking to some of the employees at the restaurant inside they said several people had their cards eaten by the machine on the same day it ate mine.   That ATM was probably having some type of communications problem that day causing glitches during the transaction which resulted in its hunger to eat ATM cards.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I can never understand why, if an ATM keeps your card, why it cant then print an acknowledgement with the reason, the atm number, the help-desk phone number etc.

Because........ TIT.....