And it's goodbye from Mobi…

Mobi

Unlike some posters here I choose to be optimistic and believe that the best times are ahead of us and not behind us.   

But good luck with another adventure. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

C'mon Mobi, you are doing a bit more than just saying goodbye to Thailand, you've already given a lot of detail about your financial problems(so the replies are not assumptions) and added some big dollops of Thai bashing to your op, which seems to be the reaccuring theme of your blogs.

1 hour ago, Mobi said:

Do you really want to know every single aspect of my life and finances?

This is exactly what I meant in an earlier post about people jumping to conclusions without being in possession of all the facts. 

I'm not standing for public office... I'm just saying goodbye to Thailand. I think I've been more than open about my personal circumstances, but enough is enough...

If I answer your question, there will undoubtedly be follow-ups and it will go on and on ad nasueum...

But thank you, anyway:smile:

Why don't you just put a link to your Blog Mobi then everybody who's interested can read it for themselfs ...

I really cannot relate to the majority of the Posters in this Thread.

"You make your own world and are destined to live in it" - who said that? Oh - probably me!

I came here in late 1971 and now (at just over 70 years old) have been here since then - except for 4 years in Lagos, Nigeria (now, if you want to bitch about a place - believe me, that's the place!).

I have run my own Company here for 25+ years. I cannot / will not retire - my own decision: I wake up every morning before 6.00 am and I am truly excited to see what happens in the new day.

The day that excitement dies is probably a few weeks before I do too.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

C'mon Mobi, you are doing a bit more than just saying goodbye to Thailand, you've already given a lot of detail about your financial problems(so the replies are not assumptions) and added some big dollops of Thai bashing to your op, which seems to be the reaccuring theme of your blogs.

I fail to see what 'Thai bashing' as you call it has anything remotely to do with my finances and my ability to purchase a 1 million Baht vehicle which I now wish to sell. Seems like you are looking for reasons to Mobi-bash.

let's say a fairy Godmother bought if for me. Okay?

For the record, my beef on Tha Visa and in my blogs has always been with the powers that rule and control Thailand - not with the Thai people themselves, most of whom are as kind and generous and caring as those from any country you care to name.

Unfortunately xenophobic brain-washing and a totally corrupt justice system encourage those who are less than perfect to misbehave rather badly. Many crimes and despicable acts are only committed because the perpetrators know they can get away with it. It would be the same in any other country where the law was subject to ridicule and the elite are determined to keep the populace under their thumbs.

3 minutes ago, Mobi said:

Unfortunately xenophobic brain-washing and a totally corrupt justice system encourage those who are less than perfect to misbehave rather badly. Many crimes and despicable acts are only committed because the perpetrators know they can get away with it. It would be the same in any other country where the law was subject to ridicule and the elite are determined to keep the populace under their thumbs.

At least they not start wars .... yet. But ok, that's another subject.

1 hour ago, p_brownstone said:

I really cannot relate to the majority of the Posters in this Thread.

"You make your own world and are destined to live in it" - who said that? Oh - probably me!

I came here in late 1971 and now (at just over 70 years old) have been here since then - except for 4 years in Lagos, Nigeria (now, if you want to bitch about a place - believe me, that's the place!).

I have run my own Company here for 25+ years. I cannot / will not retire - my own decision: I wake up every morning before 6.00 am and I am truly excited to see what happens in the new day.

The day that excitement dies is probably a few weeks before I do too.

Patrick

Well done Sir! I take my hat off to you and salute you. Any foreigner who succeeds in running a profitable business in LOS for over 25 years is a very special person.

Just now, kayo said:

Mobi, 

Wishing you the very best my dear old friend. We've shared a lot over the years. And I hope we will continue to. 

Thanks, mate, and all the best to you too.

On 10/05/2017 at 11:42 AM, BlindMagician said:

I wish you luck, but sounds like you haven't learned your lessons even by the golden age of 70 ish. A warning to all perhaps.

Aha yes, learning lessons. I must admit i am 73 and have not leraned my lessons either. Lessons i assume are :

1 don't take risks

2 don't have fun

3 don't do anything others would disapprove of

4 sex once a month is too much

5 don't trust anyone

etc, etc

hahaha

I rather hope i never learn. 

Well Mr Mobi, we have never met, and i have never noticed your posts as i tend to read but not take much notice of who is the poster. You certainly seemed to have lived an interesting life with your fair share of misfortunes and no doubt pleasures.  I have no doubt you will make a successful transition back to the UK amd i wish you all the luck you need in getting yourself and family established there again. I have my roots in England and in New Zealand with now triple nationality as i have Thai as well. I still have 2 daughters in the uk who visit me regularly here. I am looking forward to visit there again soon as i haven't been for more than 6 years. I do so miss the lovely summer days and evenings but it was the dark winters that i couldn't stand.  I also used to love being able to hop in the car and drive off to the south of france or anywhere else in europe. So there is much to enjoy there. 

Thank you for an interesting post with detail about why you decided to leave, i don't agree with much of it and many of the negative posters here, but then i have had a very very lucky life and i expect it is the right decision for you. 

Enjoy yourself and visit thailand again when you can afford it. 

Regards

nick

All the best Mobi, I remember you as a fairly prolific poster from my early days on here. I think everything has been said already, but 6 wives? Did you never stop to think perhaps it isn't love this time??   :) Very best wishes to you and your family.

good luck for the future and as we're in the pattaya forum guessing some of your time spent there......bears little resemblance to the place I first came to quarter of a century ago and will get worse

expats are leaving in their droves you're far from alone

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

good luck for the future and as we're in the pattaya forum guessing some of your time spent there......bears little resemblance to the place I first came to quarter of a century ago and will get worse

expats are leaving in their droves you're far from alone

I think the place has gotten much better......not sure why people always say it is better in the past....the good ole days, maybe your memory playing tricks on you.

1 minute ago, tazly said:

I think the place has gotten much better......not sure why people always say it is better in the past....the good ole days, maybe your memory playing tricks on you.

Lol wouldnt even know where to start compared to 25 years ago

Edited by Chivas

3 hours ago, tazly said:

Well some people say the girls were prettier back in the day. The truth is the girls now are exactly the same. Yes, I mean in many cases it is actually the same girls working today. 

Best of luck to Mobi and his family. 

To the rest of us please leave if you prefer to leave and those of us that stay will stay until we die or leave. No place is perfect for everyone. But right now BKK is perfect for me.  Love it and love living in BKK. Enjoy Pattaya, Khon Kaen, Krabi and other places in Thailand also. Don't know what it was like 20 years ago or will be 20 years from now and don't really care. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone and yesterday is over. Today is all you have so enjoy it whenever you rest your body on the planet. Peace ?

well guys and all you mobi bashers,besides the highs and lows of his life and yes there's been a few,but for you that dont know its not 2yrs.ago he had to have LIFE SAVING HEART SURGERY, [not mentioned ] in over 170posts.that in its self can be gut renching having to arrange things when you dont know if you will make it.i know i went through the same surgery and a bit more,having to say goodbye to your loved ones in case.i was lucky i didnt have to pay MOBI DID

so you lot that like to bash PACK IT IN.

i have only been visiting since 2004, but I agree in general with Mobi's characterization of Thailand's general direction and attitude towards foreigners.  I was so enamored with the country and people that I was setting things up to go there ASAP after my first and second trip, and third and fourth trips I felt the same. But then since 2006 and that coup, I have seen clear signs of not good things.  Still a great place to visit, even stay long time.  But just can't put any significant money into the place. 

Sorry to hear about him alluding to a land swindle and losing his money.  Hope others sleep raise an eyebrow the next time some offer comes their way.

12 minutes ago, meatboy said:

well guys and all you mobi bashers,besides the highs and lows of his life and yes there's been a few,but for you that dont know its not 2yrs.ago he had to have LIFE SAVING HEART SURGERY, [not mentioned ] in over 170posts.that in its self can be gut renching having to arrange things when you dont know if you will make it.i know i went through the same surgery and a bit more,having to say goodbye to your loved ones in case.i was lucky i didnt have to pay MOBI DID

so you lot that like to bash PACK IT IN.

I followed him on his Blog till he stopped because too busy with other things but i can't recall he mentioned Heart surgery. I would remember i guess. So why blame us who never met the guy other then by his writings? Or many not even that ...

26 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Sorry to hear about him alluding to a land swindle and losing his money. 

wow, not good ......  did he buy land and then lose the money ? no land ?

Edited by steven100

I suspect the main reason Mobi is (or was) leaving was the failed investments and being short of money, raising a kid in LOS with little money is not good at all, a kid need a proper international school here, not a local Thai school.

Good luck bringing wife no 6 and daughter back to the UK.

I still like it here and if you tread the Thais with respect they will normally tread you likewise. The way some tourist & expats behave here have left a somewhat negative impression of Westerners by many Thais I am sure. A smile & being polite still goes a long way, as late as yesterday I saw a Western tourist sitting in a Thai restaurant on beach road with no shirt on, not very appropriate but he just didn't get it. 

I will however also not rule out that I will only spend app 1/2 of the year in Thailand when I retire, I am still checking my options.  

i myself can look back a few yrs.and see the change,for me pattaya in the early 80's was YES.

i left in 1988 and said i would never go back,but i had a good freind there and went to visit him late 90's.

never,never,never would i go back,it has become lawless,and mobi has seen the light,and anyone thinking about setting up a business

think again.i myself had a few sharks trying to get me to bite 34yrs.ago when it was booming.but it was already on the cards that it wasnt paradise with no virgins.i just wonder if any of the old guys who had bars there,could there be anybody left.

i had a few yrs.in bkk.that was ok.but a bit ectic for my health.so when it was time to retire we had already chosen korat.

luky we found a place to build our dream home and yes i wouldnt move till i am in a box.

i can thank my lucky stars that i have a wife who wasnt afraid of hard work and she got me where i am today.

i am sure mobi would manage his health problems in the uk.as did for 2yrs.after my surgery.

so mobi if you ever want to visit COME TO KORAT.

19 hours ago, nickcar said:

Aha yes, learning lessons. I must admit i am 73 and have not leraned my lessons either. Lessons i assume are :

1 don't take risks

2 don't have fun

3 don't do anything others would disapprove of

4 sex once a month is too much

5 don't trust anyone

etc, etc

hahaha

I rather hope i never learn. 

Seems like you still have a lot to learn at 73.

If you think the OP and your list are the only two choices, with nothing at all inbetween....typical poor attempt to quash facts or a logical argument by citing a clear rediculous case as the only alternative.

Der.