School janitor talking on the phone tossed into the air in Sri Racha collision

webfact

School janitor talking on the phone tossed into the air in Sri Racha collision

2am.jpg

Picture: Manager

SRI RACHA/PATTAYA: -- A female school janitor was tossed high into the air in a collision with a car after she crossed the road while talking on her phone.

Stills of the incident were posted after the accident was caught on a dash cam.

The accident happened after Suchada Bureephia, 40, got off a "song thaew" and was crossing the road in the right hand lane.

She was seriously injured and ended up in the same hospital where she had just taken her daughter who coincidentally had some severe stomach pains, reported Manager.

Suchada was hit by a Honda Freed driven by retired school teacher Mangkorn Somsut who said he was going home to Bang Phra along Sukhumvit Road. The pedestrian on her phone got off a song thaew and walked out straight in front of his car. She was not looking where she was going, he said.

She was thrown into the air then she fell on a stationary Ford driven by Anutra Suntharot, 44, taking out her wing mirror.

The victim's husband Prasong Bureephia, 40, said his wife had just taken their sick daughter to hospital and was returning home to take their son to the school where she works as a janitor.

Both mother and daughter ended up in the same hospital.

Suchada is in a serious condition, said her husband.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-11

18 minutes ago, 300sd said:

In Thailand if you stop or slow down in your lane,  the Thai behind you, in either lane, will keep going or go around you.  

It is that "Me First" attitude that Thais have.

Not one person got out of their car to see if she was ok or to help her. It was a clear 10 seconds until the first car door opened. And that was from the car in front. Then the passenger door of the car in front opened. Another example of the me, me, me attitude so many people have.

2 hours ago, budrico said:

Watch the video again. There is a large opening in the cement barrier where she was cossing.

You mean at 1:06?

The "large" opening there is for the lamp post. The gap barely allows room for the post. Clearly not intended as a passage for pedestrians but a person might squeeze through.

41 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

You mean at 1:06?

The "large" opening there is for the lamp post. The gap barely allows room for the post. Clearly not intended as a passage for pedestrians but a person might squeeze through.

There is a huge gap between the end of the black and white barrier and the start of the white barrier, before the lampost, that is where she was heading. big enough to get a car through by the looks of it. Clearly visible from 8 seconds in.

Woman killed for talking on the phone while crossing road

IMG_1357.jpg

A woman who kept talking on her smartphone while crossing the road in Si Racha district of Chon Buri was killed when she was hit by a car.

The driver of the car, Mr Mangkorn Somsud, a retired government official, told the police that he was heading home in Tambon Bang Phra and was approaching a traffic light on the right lane of the road when the victim suddenly stepped on the road.

He admitted that he didn’t see the victim, identified later as Mrs Sudchada Buripia, 40, until his car hit her.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/woman-killed-talking-phone-crossing-road/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-5-11

5 hours ago, LennyW said:

There is a huge gap between the end of the black and white barrier and the start of the white barrier, before the lampost, that is where she was heading. big enough to get a car through by the looks of it. Clearly visible from 8 seconds in.

There is indeed a big enough gap for her to walk through. However, take a look up the road at 28 thru 31 seconds and again at  58 seconds. There is a pedestrian foot bridge not more than 100 meters from the accident site!

And  now, according to the latest press release it transpires that there are traffic lights up ahead where she could also have crossed safely.

Sad loss, but one cannot blame anyone other than the victim.

So sad, but a lot of people are so engrossed in those pathetic little black boxes, bumbling along the street with no regard to other pedestrians in front or behind.

Never had one and never will.

Terribly sad news about the lady passing away.

So many people need educating about when it is inappropriate to use a mobile phone. It is ironic that the very thing that can cause such incidents is also the best conduit for getting safety messages accross.

Terrible loss. The daughter in the hospital!

The driver with the dash cam wanted to be polite and stopped to let her through.

She bends to thanks for that.

It could have been me to stop.

Don't do it!

Never cross another lane without looking (to BOTH directions).

You learn hard lessons in this country.

Anyone remember the good old days, when people actually looked where they were going instead of staring at phones? Annoying as a pedestrian on a crowded street, stuck behind stupid people, but lethal on the road. 

3 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

So sad, but a lot of people are so engrossed in those pathetic little black boxes, bumbling along the street with no regard to other pedestrians in front or behind.

I respect your opinion, but in respect of this tragic story, it sounds unnecessarily critical of the modern era, the way you phrase it. If I just jump ahead a little.. She wasn't engaged in the more puerile activities modern phones allow, games, the internet, live chat and such.  She was actually talking to someone on it, using it as a telephone.  So this 'pathetic black box' she was 'bumbling along with' has been around since the 70's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mobile_phones)  I think the people you are complaining about are doing things this poor lady was not, and your inferred insult of her misses the point, which is traffic awareness. She was involved in this accident due to a distracting factor, in this case being on the phone, which is not a very recent problem, and could have been for a number of other reasons, e.g. dog, child, shopping bags, nearby noise, and so on.  Her main fault that I see was traffic awareness.  She walked out into traffic, albeit the third lane of traffic but this is not uncommon, lanes of safe traffic often provide a sense of safety, that given the aforesaid distraction contribute to disaster. 

13 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Hate them myself as well. We were at post nuptial dinner two nights ago. At our table of 8, 4 of the guests spent the whole evening doing whatever 'stuff' it is they do on these accursed things.

And one of them was the the groom's sister!

9 hours ago, neek said:

I respect your opinion, but in respect of this tragic story, it sounds unnecessarily critical of the modern era, the way you phrase it. If I just jump ahead a little.. She wasn't engaged in the more puerile activities modern phones allow, games, the internet, live chat and such.  She was actually talking to someone on it, using it as a telephone.  So this 'pathetic black box' she was 'bumbling along with' has been around since the 70's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mobile_phones)  I think the people you are complaining about are doing things this poor lady was not, and your inferred insult of her misses the point, which is traffic awareness. She was involved in this accident due to a distracting factor, in this case being on the phone, which is not a very recent problem, and could have been for a number of other reasons, e.g. dog, child, shopping bags, nearby noise, and so on.  Her main fault that I see was traffic awareness.  She walked out into traffic, albeit the third lane of traffic but this is not uncommon, lanes of safe traffic often provide a sense of safety, that given the aforesaid distraction contribute to disaster. 

I also respect your opinion but I think you are wrong. The mobile phone is a tremendous asset but its abuse has become a modern day curse. Despite what you may think, effective concentration whilst multitasking is not in our DNA.

Unfortunately it would appear that people have lost the ability to say "I'll call you back."

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I also respect your opinion but I think you are wrong. The mobile phone is a tremendous asset but its abuse has become a modern day curse. Despite what you may think, effective concentration whilst multitasking is not in our DNA.

Unfortunately it would appear that people have lost the ability to say "I'll call you back."

I agree. It makes me speechless to see people talking on the phone while riding a motorbike.

And here in the village these are people who are definitely not in a rush.

In Germany I saw bicycle riders on busy streets talking on the phone.

And some were not even aware that it is forbidden when being stopped by police!