Four year old killed as she tumbles down uncovered drain

webfact

Four year old killed as she tumbles down uncovered drain

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- CCTV footage from a shop in a Samut Sakhon housing estate shows a four year old girl falling down an uncovered sewer opening to her death.

The tragedy occurred near a football pitch next to building 7 at the Ban Eua-Athorn estate behind Wat Ngon Kai where many children play, reported Thai Rath.

Police are set to meet with all the relevant authorities to decide what action to take in the case.

Dead at the scene was four year old Yosita Bunngam who everyone called "Namnung".

Her father Ratchanon Bunngam, 42, said yesterday evening that Namnung had left their room in building 2 with her elder brother to go and buy sweets from a neighborhood shop.

While the brother was buying the sweets she ran off behind the shop. After that he could not find her and went home to tell the parents she was missing.

A search was mounted and when that failed to find the little girl the father asked to look at CCTV footage from the shop when the tragedy was discovered. In the footage Namnung seems to step on something laid casually over the drain and then topple in.

Krathum Baen police and Ruamkathanyu foundation staff rushed to the scene and a suction device was first employed to lower the water level in the drain.

Then the rescuers could see the tragic sight of the little girl's feet floating in the water, reported Thai Rath.

A ladder was used to enter the drain and get her out but she was already dead.

A resident at the estate said that the drain was one of many in the sewerage system that was not covered after they had suffered damage. The relevant authority responsible were in the process of replacing the cement covers on all the drains.

But some were not finished.

Krathum Baen police are set to call in all parties to decide what to do in the case.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-11

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looking at the pic of the drain it may have  had a steel lid/cover, everyone knows that anything made of steel is stolen, look at all the missing bins, gates etc, metal can be sold or used for something else. Then again even cement lids are removed by people so they can use them at home, happens all the time or smashed by the idiots after some fun

Edited by seajae

"Police are set to meet with all the relevant authorities to decide what action to take in the case."

probably none, although somebody needs to be held responsible,for ending the young ladies life.

RIP

regards Worgeordie

One can only feel or the Parents. 

Most disgusting, deplorable stupidity by a worker or workers. Total carelessness and dereliction of duty.

For any one to believe that a few bamboo sticks are going to prevent an inquisitive child from going near the death trap,  they  would have to be brainless!!!!

R.I.P to the little girl.

A fully grown woman fell down a similar broken drain cover a few months ago at the
Na-Jomtien "Ban Eua-Athorn" estate, she was in hospital for a couple of days with some nasty cuts to her legs.
Some good did come from her misfortune in that the management finally ordered work to start on replacing every concrete (mostly broken) drain covers with custom made metal grates...though how long these will last is debatable as they have been made of mild steel and painted not galvanised.

This is why Thais, who are usually crazy drivers go round puddles so carefully after rain, they never know what the water is covering up, could well be a big hole.

Edited by Orton Rd

2 hours ago, kannot said:

ah never  mind, just one of those things

What a deplorable comment. You deserve to be banned from ThaiVisa for saying such a heartless thing.

RIP to the little girl. I'm not religious, but if there is a God, I hope she is with him now.

3 minutes ago, monspencer said:

What a deplorable comment. You deserve to be banned from ThaiVisa for saying such a heartless thing.

RIP to the little girl. I'm not religious, but if there is a God, I hope she is with him now.

I may be wrong, but maybe Kannot was voicing the attitude of the average Thai, their indifference to safety and that life is cheap.

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can't speak for every western country, but can honestly say I never saw one in Australia or the US.

Besides there that heavy you need a crane to lift them

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I may be wrong, but maybe Kannot was voicing the attitude of the average Thai, their indifference to safety and that life is cheap.

Yes, I too thought that kannot was speaking through the medium of the thai officials' mind.

15 minutes ago, monspencer said:

Don't take Kannot's words at face value- on the contrary he's pointing out the cheapness of life ( at least for the poor) in his own dry way.

'A resident at the estate said that the drain was one of many in the sewerage system that was not covered a ...'

Yes, and many, many other holes that the responsible - I use the word advisedly - Thais are too damned lazy and inept to properly cover. 

The day Siam Paragon opened, they  managed to leave a hole in a floor, one or two levels up, into which a child then fell. The moron who doubled as security guard blamed the child, as she shouldn't have been there. It should be mindboggling. Unfortunately, this being LoS, it isn't.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The relevant authority responsible were in the process of replacing the cement covers on all the drains.

The same authority works in our estate i guess...and they are also in control of the electric systems in the parks which are waiting to kill somebody.

Even along roads there are whole rows of drainlids missing and a motocycle wheel will fit in well.

Mai ben rai...

3 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'A resident at the estate said that the drain was one of many in the sewerage system that was not covered a ...'

Yes, and many, many other holes that the responsible - I use the word advisedly - Thais are too damned lazy and inept to properly cover. 

The day Siam Paragon opened, they  managed to leave a hole in a floor, one or two levels up, into which a child then fell. The moron who doubled as security guard blamed the child, as she shouldn't have been there. It should be mindboggling. Unfortunately, this being LoS, it isn't.

I usually watch the morning Thai news, translated by my partner, and it is a regular occurrence for children and animals to fall down wells or other open pits, sometimes causing death and sometimes rescued alive, but one thing the Thais fail to do, and that is learn by mistakes.

Edited by giddyup

15 minutes ago, bannork said:

Don't take Kannot's words at face value- on the contrary he's pointing out the cheapness of life ( at least for the poor) in his own dry way.

indeed, perhaps it would be better to ban those unable to understand sarcasm, satire or irony, however i reckon that would make thaivisa a lonely place.

Edited by HooHaa