limit visa exempt entries arriving by air?

Hello all, I was on my 6th visa  exemption on arrival in December last year. We arrived at Swampy and went to the Thai immigration lane with my wife.The girl on the desk asked why I didn't have a Tourist visa. My wife give her an explanation saying we were on a quick visit to see family prior to me undergoing surgery in January. So the girl smiled and stamped me in.But as stated inteterest was shown

Ubonjoe - when does the clock reset for 30 day exemptions by air on arrival in Thailand.If ever.

Thanks Latch

Yes, the Royal Embassy in the U.K. has a written statement of a maximum of 3 entries (up to 30 days per entry) in a 6 month period for a visa exempt entry by air. I'm not sure if this statement applies to any other Embassy though ?. 

42 minutes ago, raplahla said:

Hello all, I was on my 6th visa  exemption on arrival in December last year. We arrived at Swampy and went to the Thai immigration lane with my wife.The girl on the desk asked why I didn't have a Tourist visa. My wife give her an explanation saying we were on a quick visit to see family prior to me undergoing surgery in January. So the girl smiled and stamped me in.But as stated inteterest was shown

Ubonjoe - when does the clock reset for 30 day exemptions by air on arrival in Thailand.If ever.

Thanks Latch

I am not aware of there being any reset of it. There may one after a period of time but is has never happened as far as I know.

If you are married to a Thai you could get a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Then why is it shown on the Embassy website today ?..

Possibly because like many Thai offices they make things up as they go along? I hope that "Thaiembassy.com" is not your source, as its nothing to do with the Thai government.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs makes the following statement, where it is the total cumulative time spent in the country and not the number of entries.:

"Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry."

2 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Possibly because like many Thai offices they make things up as they go along? I hope that "Thaiembassy.com" is not your source, as its nothing to do with the Thai government.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs makes the following statement, where it is the total cumulative time spent in the country and not the number of entries.:

"Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry."

No I am referring to the current page on thaiembassyuk.org.uk....the website for the thai Embassy in the U.K....

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would have to ask them about that.

Why would I need to ask them ?....it's on the website along with the rule about only 2 land border crossings per year.....

No I am referring to the current page on thaiembassyuk.org.uk....the website for the thai Embassy in the U.K....

No website on Thailand visa and immigration rules is 100% reliable, even the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site. Further, anything a consular or immigration official tells you is only reliable insofar as it relates to services provided at that specific consulate/office. In many cases, the rules at each consulate, immigration office and border entry point vary, and are also subject to change with or without notice.

Welcome to the murky area of Thailand immigration procedures.

• Like 1

Why would I need to ask them ?....it's on the website along with the rule about only 2 land border crossings per year.....

You asked me why it was shown on the embassy website.

I was doing an edit to add the police order that canceled it. You could send it to them.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Edit: Here is the order that rescinded it. visa exemp tPO 778-2551_en.pdf

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Then why is it shown on the Embassy website today ?..

35 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Surprisingly, not everything posted on the Internet is correct and/or up to date and that's not limited to websites relating to Thailand. 

You asked why it's on their website. It was suggested that you ask them why. Why would you ask someone on Thai Visa to explain why something out of date appears on a Thai embassy website?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Surprisingly, not everything posted on the Internet is correct and/or up to date and that's not limited to websites relating to Thailand. 

You asked why it's on their website. It was suggested that you ask them why. Why would you ask someone on Thai Visa to explain why something out of date appears on a Thai embassy website?

.... does that include this one then ?....

1 hour ago, Putmak said:
1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

.... does that include this one then ?....

A general rule (for ThaiVisa and the wider Internet) is to look at the reputation of the overall site and the individual involved. You will find that this site is a reliable source of information if you concentrate on the posts of a few members with a proven track record (@ubonjoe especially here). If you can speak to the person actually responsible for issuing you a visa, extension of stay or work permit, that will always be best (but do not trust their statements on areas outside their immediate job responsibility).  When you must rely on second hand advice (as you do here) try to get advice from multiple sources that are considered reliable. Be very wary about trusting anything posted more than a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not aware of there being any reset of it. There may one after a period of time but is has never happened as far as I know.

If you are married to a Thai you could get a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

Thanks Ubonjoe the font of all knowledge as usual, I most certainly will get a ME non O visa for future visits.I didn't realise they were valid for a year. Brilliant and very useful in my case, where a trip to Thailand may come rarther quickly if family health issues deteriorate or worse.

Cheers Raplahla

44 minutes ago, Danielsiam said:

How is calculated the 6 visa exempt entries ?

Did a non-O or tourist visa entry make the count at 0 ?

Did a new passport do the same ?

All visa exempt entries after a certain start date (about 3 years ago?) are counted. Having a visa in between does not reset the count. Assuming the old and new passports are connected in immigration's system, a new passport will not prevent the older visa exempt entries from being counted.

That's make me much worries as I see I have already 5 stamps as exempt visa entries.. since 2015 

What will be the issue ? Do I need to show the equivalent of 20,000 or 10,000 THB ? 

Edited by Danielsiam

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That info is out of date. That rule was rescinded over 8 years ago.

Yes and no. The rule for entry might be 8 years ago, but if you combine that with working and a 180 days a year wisit in the country as a tuorist, you might get another view of things, regarding to the tax declaration in the country you choose to reside in. Just because of that, it´s quite regular to check things when entering the country, and it´s also a way of making sure nobody is working without a permit.

I came in for nearly 5 years every other month on a tourist visa, (US passport) before they started asking questions at the airport. As I work overseas and am out of the country for 30 days it may be a different story. From 2012-2016. They started asking questions at the airport every time I came in after that and one time the officer showed me the screen, the screen was bordered in red with no other information. The officer sent me to the supervisor who asked a few questions and sent me on my way to baggage claim with my tourist stamp. I did break down and get a non O thai wife visa after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danielsiam said:

That's make me much worries as I see I have already 5 stamps as exempt visa entries.. since 2015 

What will be the issue ? Do I need to show the equivalent of 20,000 or 10,000 THB ? 

Assuming you are entering via an airport, immigration will consider your whole history of entries (especially recent) into Thailand after receiving an alert to scrutinize you more closely. If you have been out of Thailand, and back in your home country, for a period before coming back, you are unlikely to raise suspicion. Anyway, having 20,000 baht cash on you might be prudent. Subtly making sure the supervisor promptly sees it if you are referred for questioning would be a good idea.

• Like 1

In my opinion, anyone coming to Thailand frequently or for longer periods (staying more than 3 mo/yr) would be wise to at least obtain a Tourist Visa prior to coming, which provides a much lower chance of trouble upon entry.  Step #2, to erase all fear, is to enter with your Tourist Visa via a friendly land-border-crossing. 

Be prepared with 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks and proof of where you will be staying, in either case.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2017 at 10:37 AM, Putmak said:

I got pulled at Swampy immigration back in December and was told the limit is maximum of 3 x 30 days (90 days in total) in any rolling 6 month period, this is exactly what is stated on the MFA website.

20 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

I got pulled at Swampy immigration back in December and was told the limit is maximum of 3 x 30 days (90 days in total) in any rolling 6 month period, this is exactly what is stated on the MFA website.

There is no such rule. It was rescinded in 2008. Just incorrect info from an immigration officer. See: visa exemp tPO 778-2551_en.pdf

Could you post a link to where you found it on the MFA website other than the outdated Q&A section that also states there are 42 countries eligible for visa exempt entries. There are 60 countries on the list now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such rule. It was rescinded in 2008. Just incorrect info from an immigration officer. See: visa exemp tPO 778-2551_en.pdf

Could you post a link to where you found it on the MFA website other than the outdated Q&A section that also states there are 42 countries eligible for visa exempt entries. There are 60 countries on the list now.

Maybe even the 60 countries stated on the MFA website is now incorrect......see post ID 12.....

1 hour ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

A very interesting post, considering my earlier post ID4. Regardless of this 3 x 30 day rule being rescinded back in 2008 if immigration officers are still "pulling you up" on this then in reality surely it would be prudent to bare it in mind when entering the country by air.....

Edited by Putmak
Typo

14 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Maybe even the 60 countries stated on the MFA website is now incorrect......see post ID 12.....

This list was updated in February of last year. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

As far as I know it is still correct other than it mentions 15 day entry rule that went away on January 1st when the 2 entry at land border crossings rule went into effect.

1 hour ago, Putmak said:

A very interesting post, considering my earlier post ID4. Regardless of this 3 x 30 day rule being rescinded back in 2008 if immigration officers are still "pulling you up" on this then in reality surely it would be prudent to bare it in mind when entering the country by air.....

They are 'pulling you up' because of a computer signal, nothing to do with 3x 30. That 3x 30 only comes up because of their lack of knowledge when they try to explain the reason for the signal.

• Like 2