It's impossible to get married here!!!

My girl went back to her hometown in Isaan to get her birth certificate. She found out the record place had burned down years before and all the records in it and anyone born after 1972 no longer had a birth certificate. She was going to have to get her mom, her brother, and her high school records to show that she had lived there and that she was who she said she was. She brought them all there and the officer said it was going to take a long time and she would have to finish on the following Monday since it was a Friday. My girl had to be back to work at a restaurant in Bangkok on Monday. She slipped the officer 1000 baht and lo and behold the officer stayed longer and got it done that day. I think the whole country is run like this. Might try greasing a palm or two.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:55 PM, colinneil said:

Maybe you need to tone down your attitude, Thais do not like confrontation.

As the old saying goes !!slowly slowly catchy monkey.!!

I have been married here more than once, never had a problem in the Amphurs.

If you are serious about getting married here, go to an Amphur looking shy, lost, say please can you help me i am not sure what to do.

I have found that it works when dealing with local government officials, they like to think they are important, and asking/begging them to help will work 99% of the time.

Try it you night be surprised.

This is true.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:16 PM, Panda13 said:

The tree that bends in the wind doesn't break. Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something and your not listening. Just sayin.

Why would you want too...Stay single!

19 hours ago, connda said:

I live out in the sticks in Northern Lamphun province.  I've never had a problem with the government offices here whether it was marriage, obtaining a house book, registering a usufruct contract, or registering other documents with the Amphur office.  It's not a rural vs city issue.  It's something else.

And why are you going to all these different Amphurs?  The marriage should be registered in the Amphur where your fiancee is registered in her housebook.  If your fiancee can't deal with the officials, hire a male lawyer to act as a mediator. You'll eventually get results.   And don't expect anything to happen quickly.  However, with that said, my wife registered our marriage 9 years ago at our Amphur in about 1 hour.  That was the easy part.  Getting all the necessary paperwork from Bangkok was the pain in the derriere. 

I would say the situation is as you mentioned, many thai women (including my wife ) have their head stuck in the sand when it comes to dealings

You can get married any where, wife & I got married in bangkok as we were there for some reason but she lived up country

There are many agents but they have the old attitude of how much you think it cost when in all it would only cost a little

Easy process - Go to agent with papers & pay them - Go to Embassy - Got Amphur where the Head honjo will talk to you & wife (after you see the marriage papers you will notice that she was actually questioning /investigating both of you

not sure why you are having so many issues with so many amphur's. As stated before in Thailand every office has different rules, doesn't matter what ministry they all interpret / make up their own rules.  For you to be having so many issues it might be your attitude, maybe you speak to loud and come off being abrasive who knows but to have issues at all of these places is hard to imagine.  I'm surprised your future wife didn't speak to someone about a little "tea" money. I dont condone this and fight it when I can but sometimes a few 100 baht can change a "no" into a "yes". 

Also for the poor souls you are taking all over the place with you, most offices have people their that will be witnesses for a small fee.   

Years and years ago in Loei, they wanted a Thai to attest to the fact that we were legitimately getting married.  So I roused my elderly and infirm landlord, put him in a samlor and took him to the office. When he shuffled in, all hell broke loose.  They all knew him, as he had been a high official - Superintendent of Education for the province or some such.  Some of his kids were also government workers. They were super apologetic for disturbing him.  After that, the paperwork flew and the rubber stamps were smoking. :)

Not hard to get married in Udon Thani. But you may have to grease the wheels. Just needed me, my wife,  our ID's and my affirmation to marry (translated and stamped in Chaeng wattana). And why bother with a pre-nup? Not much you can own anyway.

11 hours ago, rickudon said:

Not hard to get married in Udon Thani. But you may have to grease the wheels. Just needed me, my wife,  our ID's and my affirmation to marry (translated and stamped in Chaeng wattana). And why bother with a pre-nup? Not much you can own anyway.

Rick, how long ago was this ?  Went last wek and they demanded translation of passport as well (never read about this anywhere else) and that 2 government employees must be used as witnesses.    Tried to 'grease the wheels' and ask if there was any way around this but it was a quick and simple no.  Thinking a trip back to BKK is in order.

1 hour ago, oldmanstan said:

Rick, how long ago was this ?  Went last wek and they demanded translation of passport as well (never read about this anywhere else) and that 2 government employees must be used as witnesses.    Tried to 'grease the wheels' and ask if there was any way around this but it was a quick and simple no.  Thinking a trip back to BKK is in order.

The translated and stamped passport has been required for a long time now, I have referred to this in several threads that I have commented on, but as for the two government employees......that is just down to that particular Amphur I guess.

When I got my yellow book I had to get two government employees to be interviewed but that's the only time I have heard of this requirement.

HL

50 minutes ago, happylarry said:

The translated and stamped passport has been required for a long time now, I have referred to this in several threads that I have commented on, but as for the two government employees......that is just down to that particular Amphur I guess.

When I got my yellow book I had to get two government employees to be interviewed but that's the only time I have heard of this requirement.

HL

Thanks Larry, 

Call it a slip in the old age and misreading / not reading enough.  I had been looking at a few other blogs and failed to see it mentioned.  For translated and stamped passport, that's only referring to having a 'certified translation' (similar to the affidavit) and then the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs @ changwatana has to certify this as well I am assuming?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Edited by oldmanstan

8 minutes ago, oldmanstan said:

Thanks Larry, 

Call it a slip in the old age and misreading / not reading enough.  I had been looking at a few other blogs and failed to see it mentioned.  For translated and stamped passport, that's only referring to having a 'certified translation' (similar to the affidavit) and then the Ministry of Foriegn Affairs @ changwatana has to certify this as well I am assuming?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Correct I'm afraid. So maybe that trip to Bangkok is on the cards although it's always easier to get a translation shop to get it all done for you and posted to your address for a small fee.

HL

I got it done about 3 years ago. Just needed the Certified translation of the Affirmation to marry, passport and wifes ID card. whatever else was done by the Amphoe. But of course, nothing is ever consistent in Thailand.....

yes well done. but why get married? i have asked many people this and i have never got a straight answer.

I did it to get legal parental rights to my son in Thailand, allowing me to get both him and my wife added on to my Extension of Stay.

From personal experience I can say that Roi Et will refuse to marry you to anyone that has to show a UK Death Certificate as it states COPY on the top. However, Khon Kaen does not have a problem with that.

Best of luck but it's always better to ask the officer, 'Can you help me?'

On 5/14/2017 at 5:31 PM, rickudon said:

Actually you can own allot.  Even a house with land can be inherited by a expat. However there are stipulations that it must be sold within a certain time frame.  Cars, motorbikes etc can all be in your name.. 

14 hours ago, ericthai said:

Actually you can own allot.  Even a house with land can be inherited by a expat. However there are stipulations that it must be sold within a certain time frame.  Cars, motorbikes etc can all be in your name.. 

I have the pickup and 2 motorbikes registered in my name.

The house and land are registered in my wife's name and in our wills I am registered as the father of our sin and if my wife should die before me it all goes to our son. I am also his guardian and as he is only 12 I will administer the properties until he becomes of legal age.

That means that I stay in the house and on the land.

There is always the possibility he can kick me out if he so wishes but I can't see him doing that.