TAT, Phuket Tourist Police come to American tourist’s aid

snoop1130

TAT, Phuket Tourist Police come to American tourist’s aid

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2017511172826460_XVRdNgZveSCAAjTOoiOXChxzeSomqbjNwBrKhQGL_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- A lost American tourist, who could neither recall the name nor the address of the hostel he was staying at, was safely returned there by tourist police this morning. 

Boyce Reid Brown, 48, was wandering around Phuket Town on foot when he happened to find the office of the Tourism of Thailand (TAT) and stepped inside to ask for help. 

TAT Phuket officials then coordinated with tourist police for help. 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/TAT-Phuket-Tourist-Police-to-American-tourists/66579?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-5-11

Pro tips for the next trip: 

- Take a photo of the hotel from outside 

- Take hotel's business card and a photo of it

It's also a good idea to take a photo of the scooter with environment, when parking it to a new location.

You think that's bad, long time ago me and a mate parked our car in a multi- story car park in the U.K., we forgot which floor, which wasn't so bad, the real problem started when we looked at the town plan to try and find the car park..... when we found out there were 4 multi-story car parks on the outskirts of town, north, south, east and west...... that's 7 hours I won't get back.

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

You think that's bad, long time ago me and a mate parked our car in a multi- story car park in the U.K., we forgot which floor, which wasn't so bad, the real problem started when we looked at the town plan to try and find the car park..... when we found out there were 4 multi-story car parks on the outskirts of town, north, south, east and west...... that's 7 hours I won't get back.

Reminds me of the book of travel stories "It wasn't funny, when it happened" :)  

Given we are going off topic I'll relate my story of arriving in Rio de Janero Brazil for a client meeting about 30+ years ago. Quick  hotel check in, taxi to client office, just happened to be a company party that night, I had a lot to drink, then dragged off to a house of ill repute. I wandered out into a back alley with no idea where I was or the name of my hotel. Now Rio is a violet city so I was in trouble. I told my taxi driver the hotel had a woman's name, he guessed right and dropped me at the Gloria Hotel just about 200 hundred meter ride away. I was a very lucky boy that night to get back to my room ... 

9 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Given we are going off topic I'll relate my story of arriving in Rio de Janero Brazil for a client meeting about 30+ years ago. Quick  hotel check in, taxi to client office, just happened to be a company party that night, I had a lot to drink, then dragged off to a house of ill repute. I wandered out into a back alley with no idea where I was or the name of my hotel. Now Rio is a violet city so I was in trouble. I told my taxi driver the hotel had a woman's name, he guessed right and dropped me at the Gloria Hotel just about 200 hundred meter ride away. I was a very lucky boy that night to get back to my room ... 

... a friend once told me, he too, when to a house of ill repute, had a bit too much to drink, he had to go out and use the bathroom,  after voiding his bladder,  he could not remember the room he came out of and where his maiden was waiting... he has only his towel on... Waiting about 15 minutes before his date came looking for him... 5555

A number of years ago I was staying in a motel in Brockton USA with a few buddies. One afternoon they headed into Boston on business and it was arranged that I would take the hired car and pick them up later. Which I did. We met in an Irish bar and of course had a few indeed far too many pints of Guinness. At closing time we hit the street the worse for wear and I handed the designated driver the car keys. Well he said ... Where did you park the car? With close to 10 pints on board I could not remember. We walked up and down the main road and all the side roads for almost an an hour until nobody saw the humour in our predicament. We ... Well I had lost the car and had no idea how we were going to find it and get back to the hotel until somebody had the bright idea to call the police and report it stolen. Which we did and they found it within 20 minutes. Unable to fully explain what happened we came clean and the police thankfully saw the funny side.  

Maybe he needs to see a doctor. Could be early onset you know.

But its true phuket town looks all the same. 

I bought a motorbike there and after the 3 months  wait for license plates to arrive with the green book i could not find the shop. I thought it went belly up.

But a few days later i stumbled upon it. Same place . it just looks the same around town probobly 50 bike shops or more in a few blocks

15 hours ago, oilinki said:

It's also a good idea to take a photo of the scooter with environment, when parking it to a new location.

This guy sounds like he should not have been traveling without a chaperon> DUH

16 hours ago, oilinki said:

There's a reason hotels don't put their name on their keys. Too easy for a thief to find/steal them and loot the room before the guest knows what happened.

Carrying photos or business cards of the hotel with the keys would also create that risk.

32 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

There's a reason hotels don't put their name on their keys. Too easy for a thief to find/steal them and loot the room before the guest knows what happened.

Carrying photos or business cards of the hotel with the keys would also create that risk.

Security (I'm from IT side) is combination of denial of entry as well as accessibility and convenience.

It is amazing that a story about the Tourist police actually doing their job by helping a tourist makes the news.

Once, my 8 year old son was playing on the beach (well away from the sea) when I went to the car to fetch a towel for him.  The car was only 15 metres away but when I returned, I could not find my son.  Panicking, particularly as it began to get dark, I searched all along the beach in both directions but eventually found the Tourist police office and reported that my son was missing on the beach.  

There were 6 officers in the office but when my son was found (crying) and deposited in their office by a kindly tourist couple, as I discovered to my great relief when I returned there after further searches, it was obvious that none of the officers had actually moved off their chairs to help in the search.

18 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Americans have no knowledge of geography . He probably couldn't even point to Thailand on a map let alone find a hotel 

Another know it all :coffee1:  It's highly likely that you use American maps and travel sites.  Apparently you use the internet that was invented in America for your superior depth of knowledge and your highly regarded and complex use of the English language.  I'm sure you are a legend in your own mind :clap2:

There are several 'slow news day' comments on this thread.

I personally am happy to read stories like this, instead of 'XXX died on motorbike accident'.

Sometimes I wonder why those accident / crime reports hit the news at all. I guess it's because it gives people a reason to complain. Therefore those reports are highly addictive and gain lots of clicks.

The world is stupid.