Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

aussienam

6 hours ago, grollies said:

Drop a huge turd in the pool, that should keep the kids out for a while?

Usually the Russian kids beat you to it, Ive seen it. Then they just keep swimming around.

I suspect whats happening is the condos are occupied by extended families and friends who rotate use of the condo as a holiday or weekend getaway. "Come to my condo, bring the kids and use the pool, everyone here does it, its no skin off my nose".

The solution - have your own noisy kids, that will fix them.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The front porch/deck on our house in "suburban" Loei.  My wife was sitting out there the other day drinking a beer and eating chicken feet.  We don't own the swamp, just a little pond, but it will probably remain as is forever.

Pretty quiet except for the occasional extravaganza at the Wat just up the street.  It is right next to an unpaved alley, but there's very little traffic.  My wife's sister lives directly across the alley, so we can tell them to shut the hell up if need be.  The house next door belongs to the family. :)5915fd556732a_Loeihouseaerialview.png.b25179e483db8da6b8d95569641cb351.png

Loei house 4.JPG

Sunride Loei 2017.JPG

pond.jpg

Loei house.JPG

Loei house 3.JPG

...well done....Where are the special types of pet chickens.... Nice place.. Enjoy..  be safe...

6 hours ago, swissie said:

To remember: 15 years ago, a Farang, buying a condo was a "quality Tourist" or a "quality Investor", surrounded by equals.

But the "demographics" have changed dramatically over the years.

Indeed.

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The front porch/deck on our house in "suburban" Loei.  My wife was sitting out there the other day drinking a beer and eating chicken feet.  We don't own the swamp, just a little pond, but it will probably remain as is forever.

Forever is a long time. All sorts of things could happen on that land.

And of course you have the huge downside of needing a wife or some other Thai partner in order to "own" a house and land. A partner who could end up stealing your money and throwing you out, or worse, which has happened to untold thousands of farangs here. And all that just to end up in the back of beyond many miles from anywhere of interest. As someone who has no desire at all to live with anyone else, and who likes to have control of his own affairs, I see no real advantages in this, though I'm glad that you do.

OP, Thanks for your story.

Never ever buy real estate in Thailand.

You are a foreigner and have no rights here

in fact the Thais have very few rights now.

The Government can change the rules at any time

and as a foreigner you have no say in the matter.

I think your best option is to sell up and take a loss.

11 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You said you have done your research, but in Thailand noise is quite common thing.

The OP may have researched the building whilst it was still being built. It probably looked nice and tidy and was quiet. The OP may have assumed that other buyers would be civilised and pleasant to live with which is a reasonable assumption for anyone coming from most parts of Europe.

What the OP probably didnt realise is that the building would be overrun by the dregs of mankind.

Edited by KittenKong

2 hours ago, Rhys said:

...well done....Where are the special types of pet chickens.... Nice place.. Enjoy..  be safe...

There are about 20+ chickens in the yard.  Mostly 20 small white types.  They lay really small eggs. They like to come up and eat the ants when she's watering all her orchids.  She has a few slightly larger red ones, but complains about the roosters raping the small ones, LOL.

When I get over there to join her, I need to get some really wild looking Polish chickens or some such.  Frikkin' little white chickens are boring.

Edited by Damrongsak

22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The OP may have researched the building whilst it was still being built. It probably looked nice and tidy and was quiet. The OP may have assumed that other buyers would be civilised and pleasant to live with which is a reasonable assumption for anyone coming from most parts of Europe.

What the OP probably didnt realise is that the building would be overrun by the dregs of mankind.

In Pattaya?

Buy a Condo overlooking the pool then complain about the pool noise. A bit like buying next to an airport and complaining about the planes. 

Op, you could look into shutting down the illegal short term rentals (airbnb etc) in the block, who are probably responsible for most of the noise, overcrowding, one week party holidays. I find that long term permanent residents are more respectful of others as they have to live there to.

13 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Personally, I don't think I could ever live in a hive environment - never have lived in anything close & never will - some hotel rooms have more living space; no thanks....

Condos here along with the 30 year leases seems like nothing but a suckers bet.....Couple that with the fact that forward planning & safety/earthquake standards are close to non existent you've just reaffirmed my thoughts.....

I personally like the sound of active children to an extent - but you're trapped in a no win situation....

Good luck, hope you don't have high blood pressure....Those folks aren't going to stop having more kids any time soon....

"30 year lease" ? What are you on about ?

Foreigners can own condos outright - no need to lease.

10 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

The above implies that condos come with a 30 year lease.

Leasehold is very rare in Pattaya but seems to be quite common in Bangkok and very common in Phuket. I dont know why though I can guess.

Personally I would never buy any property on such a short lease. 99 years would be a minimum, and even then I would not be very keen.

18 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

The above implies that condos come with a 30 year lease.

Yes, it could have since I didn't place the comma - should have.....I was noting two different things....

44 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Buy a Condo overlooking the pool then complain about the pool noise. A bit like buying next to an airport and complaining about the planes. 

Not really. An airport or a road is a fixed and external event over which one has no control, so it would be daft to buy nearby and then complain. Unnecessary noise from ill-behaved people is entirely optional and can come or go from one day to another for no reason. Up to management to put a stop to it.

Reasonable pool noise is to be expected near a pool, but not unrestrained and unreasonable noise.

I can (just) hear the road from my building but I would never complain about it unless it started to be used as a midnight speedway track, for example. Other things I would complain about would be loud noise from bars etc. It simply does not have to be loud.

14 hours ago, shady86 said:

I would always look for a condo not facing main road, high floor and clear from future constructions. Anything other than these is recipe for disaster.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

And If I was to buy again I would take a lot of time looking at condos which are perhaps 5 years old, do some detective work to get a picture of current demographics of the owners / tenants, condo still well maintained and has a committee which is serious and sensible, etc. 

Places like this do exist.

At this point it really seems the OP is beyond remedy....

Ear plugs, sound proofing, white noise machines, etc....

He's going to flinch at any little noise/sound now.....Like a marriage gone bad......

There doesn't seem to be any in house solution.....

Edited by pgrahmm

As stated by a few other posters, this should be a disclaimer and  mandatory read. 

My only advice is what I have said numerous times and tell others and it applies anywhere in the world......., Location Location Location.

It sounds like you did all the right homework but missed the location aspect. Best sell why you can because it is not going to get any better. In fact worse as they run the condo's down the place will soon be a dump. The great number of people there are "Visitors"  on vacation. They do not care one bit if you are an owner, full time resident or about anybody for that matter. They will let it all hang out, do everything they won't do in their own home because in 2 weeks they are at the airport leaving. 

Find a few rental pads and go live around and stay far away from areas loaded with foreigners.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

As stated by a few other posters, this should be a disclaimer and  mandatory read. 

My only advice is what I have said numerous times and tell others and it applies anywhere in the world......., Location Location Location.

It sounds like you did all the right homework but missed the location aspect. Best sell why you can because it is not going to get any better. In fact worse as they run the condo's down the place will soon be a dump. The great number of people there are "Visitors"  on vacation. They do not care one bit if you are an owner, full time resident or about anybody for that matter. They will let it all hang out, do everything they won't do in their own home because in 2 weeks they are at the airport leaving. 

Find a few rental pads and go live around and stay far away from areas loaded with foreigners.

Probably another condo building to join the long list of poorly managed / poorly maintained even derelict condos in Pattaya, in fact in many locations.

Cut your losses and sell.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Probably another condo building to join the long list of poorly managed / poorly maintained even derelict condos in Pattaya, in fact in many locations.

And - stay away from the balcony until you feel better about things....

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Yep I agree. the OP should bail out now. I have been to Pattaya once in my 10+ years here and that was 2 months ago with my wife after leaving a beach resort in Jomtien with some friends.  We drove through Pattaya out of curiosity. The area looks totally worn down like other heavily abused tourist destinations all over the world. 

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Condos here along with the 30 year leases seems like nothing but a suckers bet

And sometimes you win the bet.  I have a pool view from 14 floors up. Seldom hear much of anything aside from a couple of days during Songkran when music is played on the street. Rarely resort to A/C because I almost always have a pleasant breeze. Quiet neighbors, both farang and Thai. Great in-house management, maintenance staff and board.

More likely to have been dumb luck on my part in choosing the location than any claim I can make for careful planning, but for every story of "psychological torture" posted on TV there are undoubtedly thousands of people who are quite pleased with their condos or homes.

Edited by Suradit69