Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

aussienam

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Relax.  Nobody's going to hold a gun to your head and make you run for condo board.  As a renter you couldn't qualify anyway.   In an earlier post you were complaining about your condo complex going downhill--I was merely pointing out that condos can be turned around, not that you should do it.  As countless renters have said here, you can just pick up and move.   I do wonder,  since you clearly have no intention of spending one AUD on property in Thailand, why you are spending your precious time here telling us you will not spend your precious time to work towards any improvements where you live.  You know, life's too short for you 'to bother with such crap'.  We're up to around page 9 here so it's a lot of 'paper' to wade through.  A bit curious.  But, then,  I always find it endlessly fascinating why so many confirmed renters love to post about the supposed horrors of owning a condo here.  They don't have a horse in the race but they are sure interested in the outcome.  

I do not see much life in that place of yours either, information available to take up? 20% 30%at most, and those maintance fees, still they will have to be flogged off sooner or later at massive discount, maybe 50% off   lol  Base did not take off too well either 

I dont really see the point in buying if you dont have any intention of improving the place. in this case why not sound proof it? make it livable for yourself , increase its value and make it easier to resell. otherwise it seems you would have no problems renting or selling it to russian families and moving elsewhere.

8 hours ago, pegman said:

Maybe you should attempt to convince the OP he is actually happy owning a condo. Good luck with that.

I moved to Jomtien 4 years ago. In that time the equities I would have had to sell to buy a condo there have more than doubled, nearly tripled,  in value.  I know I should be unhappy under your doctrine but I just can't seem to do it. The shame.

Totally agree with this, but there are some ppl who will attempt to convince you that you are wrong to justify their own misgivings about their current predicament.

53 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

The only interest I have is in correcting some of the misconceptions "owners" have about renters. And I do find it entertaining to witness the depths of stupidity some TV posters can plumb in their desperate efforts to prove themselves right. So yes, TV is one of my forms of entertainment. I do have others.

I think the OP's post is a good indication of what can go wrong for "owners". As you have pointed out, there are others who are happy with owning. Good luck to them. Not for me.

True, I don't have a horse in the race. So that disqualifies me from expressing an opinion, based on knowledge of the travails of "owners" in my area?

Feel free to express away.  However, I'm not sure any of us are intentionally plumbing to the 'depths of stupidity' in 'desperate efforts' to 'prove' ourselves 'right'--especially when there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to renting or buying and there never will be.  But, glad we are keeping you entertained and, as always, no charge. 

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Yes you do. Specious argument as your share in the control of common properties & polices is always limited to your ratio of ownership just as it is any condo building throughout the world. The "Thai" is a bit of a red herring. In practice in most buildings it usually works out OK for one reason or another. Farangs form the majority on our committee and a Thai company manages our building quite well. A number of Thai wives own condos and they'll vote with their husbands. But we don't really have this "us against them" mentality so common on this forum.

What happens if the "thai wives' get a divorce...and form a new voting block....sounds like a pretty dicey situation you are in!

31 minutes ago, teddog said:

I do not see much life in that place of yours either, information available to take up? 20% 30%at most, and those maintance fees, still they will have to be flogged off sooner or later at massive discount, maybe 50% off   lol  Base did not take off too well either 

Huh???

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Not by renters by Thai government, the condos are on Thai owned land.

Different issue than the condo itself, the topic of your post, which I answered. Is land your new topic?

56 minutes ago, tazly said:

What happens if the "thai wives' get a divorce...and form a new voting block....sounds like a pretty dicey situation you are in!

Well, you'd like think it's dicey of course. Depends on the wife. Owners both Thai & farang come & go and each has his own opinion on a particular issue anyway. As I noted, in my condo at least there's no "us & them" mentality as on the forum, particularly among the renters. Thais are not the large voting bloc portrayed by our renters anyway as in fact many don't have that much interest in voting or management issues and don't vote. Now you should have no problem believing that, eh.

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Well, you'd like think it's dicey of course. Depends on the wife. Owners both Thai & farang come & go and each has his own opinion on a particular issue anyway. As I noted, in my condo at least there's no "us & them" mentality as on the forum, particularly among the renters. Thais are not the large voting bloc portrayed by our renters anyway as in fact many don't have that much interest in voting or management issues and don't vote. Now you should have no problem believing that, eh.

Sounds like a "snake eyes" scenario, but don't worry maybe the next roll will be a 7.

Well you do get what you pay for. If you're buying a pre-built unit for less than the price of the top model SUV then what do you expect?

Spend 10m up on a condo then you won't have this problem.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10mil for a condo in Pattaya. Are you nuts? For 400k Canadian I can have a luxury unit not built by Cambodian slave labor back home that will be maintained and last for at least 100 years with the added benefit of an easy, safe and secure rental.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, tazly said:

Sounds like a "snake eyes" scenario, but don't worry maybe the next roll will be a 7.

Sounds more like you're simply trolling the topic. That may not last long. Unfortunately nobody's worried.

Edited by JSixpack

4 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Sounds more like you're simply trolling the topic. That may not last long. Unfortunately nobody's worried.

Pot kettle black....but don't worry I am sure your "situation" is "different"...how many times have we all heard that over the years?

Edited by tazly
sp

21 hours ago, newnative said:

Nice to read a good outcome.  I think some big Bangkok public construction companies such as Lumpini  and Sansiri do a pretty good job of managing their condos.  When you're dealing with a small, private developer and, possibly, unsold units the developer controls, you can get a situation like you had with the developer calling all the shots.  Great the residents got organized and took control. 

Veiw Talay has done well in Jomtien. Light Bulbs that go out in the hallway are relaced within a day or two. Pool is well maintained, etc. Good management can happen.

40 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

Veiw Talay has done well in Jomtien. Light Bulbs that go out in the hallway are relaced within a day or two. Pool is well maintained, etc. Good management can happen.

I agree.  I've lived at or had rental condos at probably a dozen different condos in Pattaya.  Certainly some management has been better than others but they all kept the pools clean, the elevators running, the hallways and gyms clean,  the trash picked up daily, the grounds maintained,  things fixed when they broke, and so on.  Occasionally over the years there have been problems here and there with a pool or an elevator at some of the complexes  but they got sorted. 

2 hours ago, Penefattore said:

Once upon a time people complained about us punters partying with whores until 2 in the morning , now people complains about toddlers and Russians .... sic transit gloria Pattayae :sad:

If I were the OP I would go down to Walking, pick out some company, head back to the condo and start partying at 2am!

8 hours ago, GaryB1263 said:

Those places are depressing...we refer to them as "the projects"

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Now this 'liker'  to this post has been caught between a rock and a hard place, fact is hes crushed, unsold all around him, crashing prices,never to be sold, and so poorly built it will be bulldozed in less than 5 years

1 hour ago, tazly said:

Those places are depressing...we refer to them as "the projects"

I guess nobody has invited you in to see some of the spectacular big units, especially in 3, 5, 6, and 7.  The building architecture may be uninspired but, with a shell to start with, essentially a blank canvas, some great and unique interior spaces have been created--and, of course, many with sensational seaviews from those wonderfully big balconies.  Throw in the outstanding locations, reasonable condo fee, and it's easy to see why they are popular.

I hate noise also.  But I find it interesting how many people don't care or hear it.  Noise, noise, what noise?

But I know many guys that have bought and are not happy.  People cannot control their neighbors/environment.  If you buy you are stuck.  One friend in particular bought in Wongamat.  Beautiful area but in his 3 years all he has heard is construction noise from neighboring projects.  Beware as that beautiful empty lot next to you can soon turn into a nightmare several year construction project.  

Great honest report by the OP a shame truly I hope things eventually work out.

1 hour ago, teddog said:

Now this 'liker'  to this post has been caught between a rock and a hard place, fact is hes crushed, unsold all around him, crashing prices,never to be sold, and so poorly built it will be bulldozed in less than 5 years

Details, dude!!!  We want DETAILS!!!  Not your glittering generalities.  You can start with your claim that condos will be bulldozed after 5 years because of poor construction.  There are lots and lots of condos that are over 5 years old so I will make the job easier for you--just list the ones in good locations with seaviews.  As TV readers know, those are the only ones that interest me and I'd like to avoid the ones on the bulldoze list.  After you finish that, you can start on the list of unsold condo projects--again, make it easy and just limit yourself to seaview ones, we don't want you toiling all day.  Inquiring minds want to know!

Just now, newnative said:

Details, dude!!!  We want DETAILS!!!  Not your glittering generalities.  You can start with your claim that condos will be bulldozed after 5 years because of poor construction.  There are lots and lots of condos that are over 5 years old so I will make the job easier for you--just list the ones in good locations with seaviews.  As TV readers know, those are the only ones that interest me and I'd like to avoid the ones on the bulldoze list.  After you finish that, you can start on the list of unsold condo projects--again, make it easy and just limit yourself to seaview ones, we don't want you toiling all day.  Inquiring minds want to know!

All you want to know is your own personal situation. The place you are in is a dump, poorly built, mostly unsold and yes spotlessly clean..because nobody lives there.  Give us a clue why the first few buyers were bundled into the upper floors?  Ill tell you because management fees not paid for ...the first thing that is cut is the elevator, hours stair climbing

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I guess nobody has invited you in to see some of the spectacular big units, especially in 3, 5, 6, and 7.  The building architecture may be uninspired but, with a shell to start with, essentially a blank canvas, some great and unique interior spaces have been created--and, of course, many with sensational seaviews from those wonderfully big balconies.  Throw in the outstanding locations, reasonable condo fee, and it's easy to see why they are popular.

Inregard with view talay 7 only the studios are popular noone is buying up these larger units that are facing the ocean and seems that the developer does not care to leave them unsold for somany years already.

13 minutes ago, teddog said:

All you want to know is your own personal situation. The place you are in is a dump, poorly built, mostly unsold and yes spotlessly clean..because nobody lives there.  Give us a clue why the first few buyers were bundled into the upper floors?  Ill tell you because management fees not paid for ...the first thing that is cut is the elevator, hours stair climbing

I don't know where you think I live but the thousand units are about all sold.  Maybe a 100 or so left to sell, mostly lower floor units without seaview.  Maybe one or 2 large 13 MB units left.  Upper floors usually sell first with seaview projects and since they sell first the buyers are likely to move in first.  Duh.  Elevators are running, by the way.  Meanwhile, what happened to the list of 5 year old bulldozed condos?  Seems you conveniently forgot all about that. Remember, be specific and neatness counts.

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Inregard with view talay 7 only the studios are popular noone is buying up these larger units that are facing the ocean and seems that the developer does not care to leave them unsold for somany years already.

It's true the back units are mostly unsold but the big corner units in the front I think have all been sold.

19 minutes ago, newnative said:

It's true the back units are mostly unsold but the big corner units in the front I think have all been sold.

Yes correct i always wonder why that developer does not make a significant price reduction for his unsold units seems he is asking aprox 10 million bht for 100 sqm unit bare shell somewhat with a wrong layout but excellent sea views.Not a single one of those units have been sold for over 9 years now the developer does not seems bothered with that?

Edited by Destiny1990