Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

aussienam

7 hours ago, Bikeman93 said:

And for those who are thinking of exiting https://www.samuiforsale.com/real-estate/condominium-transfer-tax-and-fees.html

That's 8.3-11.3% off the top, regardless of capital gains or cost involved in sale.

Anyone got a condo to sell? I got a bag of peanuts, they cant tax you on that.

I don't know about Samui but this is incorrect for Pattaya.  If you hold a condo for less than 5 years here the transfer fees/taxes are around 6.3%.  Over 5 years it's usually less than that.  It's general practice here to split the transfer fees/taxes 50/50 between buyer and seller so you're looking at less than 4% as the seller.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I'm just counting up the ways you can be wrong with this post.

Firstly, witnessing all the struggles owners have in reselling the units they have bought should be a salutary lesson to all would-be owners. Although "owners" is a misnomer with mandated 51% Thai control.

Second, at any time you can get an anti-social neighbour or set of circumstances which make your residence unbearable - as the OP has done. Much easier to extricate oneself if you are renting.

You may be right with some renters. You are dead wrong in my case. My landlord's agent has been pestering me to buy the condo I am renting for the past 6 years. He knows I have the funds readily available to buy it.

So why don't I buy? For the above reasons, obviously. And another two.

If I buy, I become a homeowner under Australian Centrelink rules. The part pension I get would be cut by 10,000 baht per fortnight. I pay 8500 baht a month to rent.

Why would I sacrifice 11,500 baht/month for some illusory ownership benefit? Why would I tie up capital in an illiquid asset, when I can make equivalent or better returns on investments which I can withdraw from at a time of my choosing?

Now,  think about what I have said.

A couple clarifications.  Not all of us struggle to resell our units.  'Owner' is not a misnomer. Yes, it's true that Thais have 51% ownership but nowhere in the Thai Condo Act does it say that Thais must make up a majority on the condo board, where decisions about the condo project are made.   Most of u are not Australian so your last reasons don't apply but I can see why you prefer to rent. 

14 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Sorry, but your post in no way proves anything wrong about my post but rather confirms it. :smile: You'll need to think more about why that's true. "Illusory benefits" is typical sour grapes from a renter. We've heard it all before, and it's been argued before, in all the renters' CONDO GLUT and FOOLS BUY REAL ESTATE threads over the last decade or so. A couple of typical fallacies in your post: Just In Case Fallacy and Complex Question Fallacy. The reasons for the OP's problem, and the solutions, are discussed here: 

BTW, nobody cares in the slightest why you don't buy.

Perspective in this thread comes from Suradit69:

Every so often, I come across someone on TV who refuses to acknowledge  facts staring them in the face, and keeps on with their own opinion mindset. It's the classic propaganda technique - keep on repeating a lie, in the hope it will become true. I just write such people off, and don't bother to engage with them again. They are incapable of learning from the experience of others.

Congratulations, you've just joined their ranks. Goodbye.

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

A couple clarifications.  Not all of us struggle to resell our units.  'Owner' is not a misnomer. Yes, it's true that Thais have 51% ownership but nowhere in the Thai Condo Act does it say that Thais must make up a majority on the condo board, where decisions about the condo project are made.   Most of u are not Australian so your last reasons don't apply but I can see why you prefer to rent. 

I don't know where you are living; however, the fact my landlord has been trying to sell me the condo I am renting for 6 years should tell you something about the condo market in Chiang Mai. It's a glut of unsold units here.

Your statement concerning board representation is somewhat misleading. A majority of falangs on the board is not the same as a majority of votes. When push comes to shove in financial decisions, you can bet the Thai vote will be monolithic.

In fact, that's what has been happening in the condo I rent for several years. They have the lowest body corporate fees in CM, about 8000 baht/year. They have not changed for over 20 years. Cost do keep increasing, e.g. the cost of running the swimming pool.

Every time the board has put up a motion to increase the fees, it's been voted down by guess who?

Of course, if they have to close the pool because there aren't enough funds to run it, the renters like me will desert the condo in droves. The falang owners will be stuck with dropping their rents and taking a hit on their capital value thanks to a majority decision.

It is nice of you to acknowledge my circumstances logically lead to my preference to rent.

7 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Every so often, I come across someone on TV who refuses to acknowledge  facts staring them in the face, and keeps on with their own opinion mindset. It's the classic propaganda technique - keep on repeating a lie, in the hope it will become true. I just write such people off, and don't bother to engage with them again. They are incapable of learning from the experience of others.

Congratulations, you've just joined their ranks. Goodbye.

As I noted in my first answer to your question--note that I had no question for you--renters do often try to convince owners they're unhappy 'cause the renters say they're unhappy. It's important for them to think that for some reason. And this does seem to be one of your motivations as you convince yourself. Sorry that attempt failed, but you may take consolation in a declaration of victory as you retreat and continue to make payments.:smile:

32 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Every so often, I come across someone on TV who refuses to acknowledge  facts staring them in the face, and keeps on with their own opinion mindset.

It's called, living in denial, and there are a select few on this forum that have a very good command of that.

These threads invariably end up with the "rent dont buy" Mantra. Yes, it has some short term benefits, there is also a lot disadvantages.

Your rent can be increased anytime. You can be living on a fixed income and rent keeps going up, eventually becoming more than income. Most people are retired and managing a fixed income against costs.

You can be kicked out of a rental property anytime at short notice. Depending on timing, into a tight rental market, where the cost will be higher.

You are reliant on the landlord for repairs and maintenance, and dependent on lease conditions, sometimes liable for repairs.

Being able to move anytime the neighbors buy a new stereo etc is a bit of a false reality, besides the inconvenience and cost of moving you would probably loose a deposit etc. There are also factors like kids in school, cable TV and internet contracts, not to mention all the TM30 dramas you may incur moving house.

Renting is occupying someone elses house, owning is your own home. 

The "rent dont buy" argument fails to take into account setting up a permanent Home, the security and asset and fixed costs of your own home, full of your stuff, your taste. As opposed to where am I going to move my suitcase and laptop to this year.

Edited by Peterw42

On 5/12/2017 at 10:29 PM, Rhys said:

cut your loses...buy a house up country... close to a major city...

Better still, rent don't buy. When you close your front door it's not unreasonable to expect a bit of peace and quiet.

Years ago a friend bought a condo in Pattaya and the neighbours changed for the worse. He sold it at a small loss during the quiet season and has rented various places ever since. But the worst experience he has ever had regarding neighbours was when he bought that first condo.

In my experience of visiting Pattaya guest houses, hotels and well run condo blocks usually won't tolerate nuisances, excessive noise nor unruly guests. If you've got a swimming pool you're going to get noisy kids and you just have to accept that.

it's evident that all condos are not created equal.

there are a few guidance tips for people looking to buy a condo:

- buy an existing condo that you can visit, not off plan

- prefer condos that already have been around for a decade or more

- be informed about who manages the condo and check their track record

- how many units are sold/occupied ? the more the better

- prefer condos with large rooms, usually construction quality is better

- check the condo building's immediate surroundings, have they been generous with space for a garden, pool, parking and circulation lanes or is it cramped space?

- does the condo feature "fluff", such as a big wooden pirate ship or other stuff that will prove difficult to maintain in future?

- check about how the power costs are rebilled. government rate or inflated rate? refuse anything but government rate.

- check how well the buildings and gardens are maintained

- inside the unit: check water pressure, noise levels, exposition to sunlight (not desirable. AC costs can rise significantly in hot rooms)

- especially check noise level in bedroom with door closed. one solution if noise is coming from outside is to replace the bedroom window with a sealed, double-glazed one that doesn't open. Blocks outside noise nicely.

- check if security fulfills your expectations

- check that multiple TV and phone outlets are present in strategic locations in the condo

- inform yourself about what options there are for internet

- I prefer a separate kitchen area with a vent that leads outside

- a security door might also be a good idea

that's what I can think of for now...

Edited by manarak

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You can be kicked out of a rental property anytime at short notice. Depending on timing, into a tight rental market, where the cost will be higher.

Again, I don't know where you live. A tight rental market in Chiang Mai? That'll be the day.

I started out here 9 years ago renting for 11,000 baht/month. Same condo, now 8500 baht/month. If you don't need a pool like I do, you can get a room with ensuite  here down to 4500 baht/month. Landlords are begging for good tenants.

The canard of ownership here keeps getting repeated by "owners". You don't own a house if only a Thai can own the land underneath. You don't own a condo unit when there is 51% mandated Thai control. It's a bit like owning a car without wheels.

If you are in your thirties or forties, not paying rent and "owning" a house or condo here makes sense. Eventually, you will get the capital appreciation. However, for someone like me in their 70's, who can make more out of invested capital back in Australia ( and the other reason previously mentioned ) than he can save on rental here, "owning" makes no sense at all.

Edited by bazza73
Error

3 hours ago, mfharrison said:

Get yourself a few rai in isaan n you'll be grand

How? Foreigners can't own land in Thailand. They can buy it of course, and put it in a Thai name..which is not the same as actually owning it.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

I don't know where you are living; however, the fact my landlord has been trying to sell me the condo I am renting for 6 years should tell you something about the condo market in Chiang Mai. It's a glut of unsold units here.

Your statement concerning board representation is somewhat misleading. A majority of falangs on the board is not the same as a majority of votes. When push comes to shove in financial decisions, you can bet the Thai vote will be monolithic.

In fact, that's what has been happening in the condo I rent for several years. They have the lowest body corporate fees in CM, about 8000 baht/year. They have not changed for over 20 years. Cost do keep increasing, e.g. the cost of running the swimming pool.

Every time the board has put up a motion to increase the fees, it's been voted down by guess who?

Of course, if they have to close the pool because there aren't enough funds to run it, the renters like me will desert the condo in droves. The falang owners will be stuck with dropping their rents and taking a hit on their capital value thanks to a majority decision.

It is nice of you to acknowledge my circumstances logically lead to my preference to rent.

I'm in Pattaya not CM.  You might read the posting from the gentleman who was able to band with his fellow condo owners and make needed changes at his condo.  It can be done. 

No.

20 hours ago, tontraveller said:

Here at Chateaudale/Thabali we are very pleased with a dedicated team of committee members who do their upmost in keeping everything up to standard,  And with still reasonable maintenance fees, compared to what newer developments demands. Nice and quiet environment with just a few families. Very few short term rentals, which is a receipt for quality. 

There are good quality condos to find , but prospective buyers need to do some homework.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

As I noted in my first answer to your question--note that I had no question for you--renters do often try to convince owners they're unhappy 'cause the renters say they're unhappy. It's important for them to think that for some reason. And this does seem to be one of your motivations as you convince yourself. Sorry that attempt failed, but you may take consolation in a declaration of victory as you retreat and continue to make payments.:smile:

Maybe you should attempt to convince the OP he is actually happy owning a condo. Good luck with that.

I moved to Jomtien 4 years ago. In that time the equities I would have had to sell to buy a condo there have more than doubled, nearly tripled,  in value.  I know I should be unhappy under your doctrine but I just can't seem to do it. The shame.

31 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You don't own a condo unit when there is 51% mandated Thai control. It's a bit like owning a car without wheels.

Yes you do. Specious argument as your share in the control of common properties & polices is always limited to your ratio of ownership just as it is any condo building throughout the world. The "Thai" is a bit of a red herring. In practice in most buildings it usually works out OK for one reason or another. Farangs form the majority on our committee and a Thai company manages our building quite well. A number of Thai wives own condos and they'll vote with their husbands. But we don't really have this "us against them" mentality so common on this forum.

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Yes you do. Specious argument as your share in the control of common properties & polices is always limited to your ratio of ownership just as it is any condo building throughout the world. The "Thai" is a bit of a red herring. In practice in most buildings it usually works out OK for one reason or another. Farangs form the majority on our committee and a Thai company manages our building quite well. A number of Thai wives own condos and they'll vote with their husbands. But we don't really have this "us against them" mentality so common on this forum.

Yes, I agree. There is an automatic assumption that the 51% Thai owners will be at odds with, and vote against, the 49% foreign ownership. Most owners will vote for things that improve the block and ultimately the value of their condo. 

In most expat areas 49% is owned by foreigners and a percentage of the Thai 51% is also owned by foreigners via a company or Thai wife etc. In lots of popular expat blocks foreigners run the committee and have the majority vote.

You only need 2 % foreign owners via a company and the control is 51% foreigners. 

54 minutes ago, jubkhun said:

How? Foreigners can't own land in Thailand. They can buy it of course, and put it in a Thai name..which is not the same as actually owning it.

A foreigner don't really fully own condos either do they. !!  

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Maybe you should attempt to convince the OP he is actually happy owning a condo. Good luck with that.

You've confused me with somebody who gives a shit. I did, in all benevolence, with practical advice try to help OP out of the hole he dug for himself buying off plan. And I also advised him that if he's just too feeble to help himself then he should rent it out as the rental market must be pretty good in his building. Other posters advised the same. Is that good enough for you? How did you help?

I moved to Jomtien 4 years ago. In that time the equities I would have had to sell to buy a condo there have more than doubled, nearly tripled,  in value.  I know I should be unhappy under your doctrine but I just can't seem to do it. The shame.

Ah, what might have been. Sigh. I remember that Laura Cowart in 9th grade English class. Loveliest red hair. If only I'd made a move on her while I could have! <kicking self>

And jeez! If only I'd put my nestegg into gold in January 1979!!! Where was midas???

Our truly ace TVF Financial Analysts don't believe in no equities, BTW. And the reason is this: Enron! They'll be quick to tell you all about the crash in 2008, too. So careful you don't incur their scorn, very much to be dreaded.

For some reason we tend to think in simple little binaries of either/or around here, the ones that are most comforting. Nothing too complicated, eh.

Like that showstopper for all Ozzies, the dreaded Australian Centrelink rules. OMG. Again the problem in most cases just boils down to not having sufficient net worth. My Ozzie friend Ian just below me owns 3 units combined into a beautiful spread. He just never got the memo about the Centrelink rules I guess. And I'm sure he has sufficient cash and equities, 'cause he's responsible enough to have a family, lovely girls.

If you don't have the net worth to own & be comfortable & handle exigencies, like poor bazza73, then you gotta get yourself into a position where you are. We agree on that. For most around here, that will mean just renting, whether in a flophouse on Soi Buakhao or a (cough) penthouse, and throwing out sour grapes about condos and pretending owners are stupid and unhappy.

Me I've rented rooms, apts, condos around Pattaya, Jomtien, and Naklua. Been there, done that. Now I like owning much better. No, I'm not talking up real estate or desperate to sell, as renters want to believe all owners are. Just gon' have to suck it up, pal. Sorry. 

Edited by JSixpack

there seems to be two kinds of people regarding living and recreational situation

those who want quiet and left alone and those who want / need to be around others

took a walk to jomtien beach thee other day and contemplated how people could enjoy sitting on a crowded beach in a line of chairs 6 rows backs worth in dirty sand watching some other family eat chicken bones with bare feet

finally concluded that it did not matter why as i return to my quiet and relatively serene condo building more isolated near big buddha

you always go out just far enough so that necessities are available but people drop off. works for me most of the time. more people = more noise = more stress

unless you like crowded beaches in your thong, dirty sand, and chicken bones with no wastebasket or napkins

need to do more research on location next time. i feel for your current plight. only suggestion would be possibly break it up, month on month off, possibly short term letting. things may change eventually. floor fans are also great as white noise both day and night, that worked for me in bkk also can keep windows open that way. i had an industrial low to floor type that gave off a nice sound and strong flow and masked most noise.

15 hours ago, peergin said:

“AH .... I'VE MADE IT TO PARADISE .........  CAN ANYONE HERE RELATE TO THIS ....?

Here I sit in my pool view condo bought off the plan three years ago, thinking that this would be the answer to my stressful living in Australia - to move here and live retirement bliss.”  

……………………………..........................................................................……………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Yes, I can relate to that. Without any difficulty. My experience is quite similar.

My condo (purchased, not rented) is part of a Chiangmai development consisting of 2 buildings with perhaps 500 or 600 units. It was beautiful when the buildings were completed but things deteriorated steadily. The “manager” was a member of the staff of the company that built the project. He only showed up less than ½ day each month to collect the available money. Apart from that he never did anything. My guess is that the management fees brought in well over B 6,000,000 per year but the man never spent anything on repairs or maintenance. He did not even spend B 25 to replace a faulty bulb in a public area. He had the swimming pool water pumped out and the area locked up in order to avoid maintenance costs.

It got to be real bad and the money always disappeared. Finally, a number of frustrated owners got together and, with the consent of a majority of the other owners, engaged a lawyer in an attempt to kick the manager and the construction company out. That took a little while but the lawyer succeeded, meaning there must be legal means to achieve that.

A management committee, consisting of owners only, was formed and a new manager was appointed. Crucially, this new manager was/is employed by the owners association.

That was the best thing that ever happened because, clearly, every owner has a vested interest in his property.

Now the 2 buildings are beautiful and spotless once again. Everything that was out of order has been repaired. Everything that had disappeared (read: stolen) such as, for example, dozens of fire extinguishers, has been replaced. Vital, proper (but expensive) maintenance for the lifts has been restored!!! The swimming pool and the surrounding area are beautiful once more, The money (the annual maintenance fee paid by every owner) is properly accounted for and audited by an external auditor.

Also, the committee imposes a strict discipline. As a result, the place is clean and quiet. There are no noisy people or parties. Complaints or requests from owners are promptly dealt with and no longer ignored.

In short, that is the way it can be but only if the management is conducted by the owners themselves and not by the project’s original construction company. However, I believe that there are only very few condominium projects in Chiangmai where owners are running the show.

Finally, to the O.P.: it is possible to kick incompetent management out for ever. Clearly, the law allows for it. I would recommend that you get together with some other owners and consider going the same route. You will once again enjoy living in your own condo and its value will no doubt increase markedly. Good luck!

I know nothing of condo living or rules and was about to post, asking questions on management responsibilities, owners committes, etc.

You answered them all, great post.

The OP would do well to PM you for advice and put him in touch with your lawyer.

Edited by grollies

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

A foreigner don't really fully own condos either do they. !!  

Yes. Appears you've been listening to the misinformation put out by the renters.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:49 PM, lungnorm said:

I had the same problem in Sydney Australia. The last straw was when a Chinese guy and his wife and kid moved in directly below my unit. He played the piano from 7.30am till 10pm every day. When I questioned him on how he could play everyday all day he proudly told me his wife and teenage son also played the piano. He actually got the cops on me coz I used to bang loudly on his door. They told me he was entitled to play the piano all day. I showed them the body corporate rules where it clearly stated you cannot make any noise or play any musical instrument that imposes on your neighbour's repose.  Did not do any good. It took 6 months to get rid of him as he was only renting. The piano used to reverberate thru my walls there was no escape. I was not able to sort him out like a man as he wore a brace on his leg so I could not hit a cripple. The worst 6 months of my life.

Perhaps you should have bought some big speakers and put them on full base, pointed them downwards and turned them on everytime they played the piano. You couldn't be penalised as they ignored the rules when you complained. By pointing the speakers down, it wouldn't disturb neighbours next door or above.

What came first? The chicken or the egg? Should I buy or should I rent? Should I marry a Thai or stay single? Should I retire in Thailand or stay in my own country? Should I have children or not? Should I live in the city or in the boonies? I could go on but you get the gist of the questions. There are no clear yes or no answers and no one size fits all. Do your due diligence and make a careful logical decision. The decisions I made for myself may be disastrous for others. Spur of the moment decisions are often wrong.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

I'm in Pattaya not CM.  You might read the posting from the gentleman who was able to band with his fellow condo owners and make needed changes at his condo.  It can be done. 

Yes it can. However, at my age do I need all the stress and aggravation, when I'm as free as a bird to move whenever I wish?

And I couldn't care less about what condo management does?

How long did the process take of removing a venal manager, and getting things back to a liveable condo? Some can do it, life's too short for me to bother with such crap. I came here to enjoy myself, not get into endless paper warfare.

I'm sure there are happy and unhappy condo owners, just as there are happy and unhappy renters. The fact I've stayed in the same condo for 9 years tends to indicate I am quite happy with my situation.

Opinions are like a###holes. Everyone has one. To suggest all renters are indulging in sour grapes, or are too cash-strapped to afford a condo, as one poster on this thread has done, is pure BS. I have a friend here with a net worth of about 2 million AUD. He still prefers renting.

"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as escaping from old ones" ( John Maynard Keynes )

Edited by bazza73
Addition

21 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Yes it can. However, at my age do I need all the stress and aggravation, when I'm as free as a bird to move whenever I wish?

And I couldn't care less about what condo management does?

How long did the process take of removing a venal manager, and getting things back to a liveable condo? Some can do it, life's too short for me to bother with such crap. I came here to enjoy myself, not get into endless paper warfare.

I'm sure there are happy and unhappy condo owners, just as there are happy and unhappy renters. The fact I've stayed in the same condo for 9 years tends to indicate I am quite happy with my situation.

Opinions are like a###holes. Everyone has one. To suggest all renters are indulging in sour grapes, or are too cash-strapped to afford a condo, as one poster on this thread has done, is pure BS. I have a friend here with a net worth of about 2 million AUD. He still prefers renting.

"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as escaping from old ones" ( John Maynard Keynes )

Relax.  Nobody's going to hold a gun to your head and make you run for condo board.  As a renter you couldn't qualify anyway.   In an earlier post you were complaining about your condo complex going downhill--I was merely pointing out that condos can be turned around, not that you should do it.  As countless renters have said here, you can just pick up and move.   I do wonder,  since you clearly have no intention of spending one AUD on property in Thailand, why you are spending your precious time here telling us you will not spend your precious time to work towards any improvements where you live.  You know, life's too short for you 'to bother with such crap'.  We're up to around page 9 here so it's a lot of 'paper' to wade through.  A bit curious.  But, then,  I always find it endlessly fascinating why so many confirmed renters love to post about the supposed horrors of owning a condo here.  They don't have a horse in the race but they are sure interested in the outcome.  

Opinions are like a###holes. Everyone has one.

Brilliant. But then some opinions are better than others--better informed, more objective, and more rational. It's undemocratic, I know.

To suggest all renters are indulging in sour grapes, or are too cash-strapped to afford a condo, as one poster on this thread has done, is pure BS.

No poster has suggested any such thing. You'll need to look up the meaning of "most" in the OED. Now see my point #1.

I have a friend here with a net worth of about 2 million AUD. He still prefers renting.

One of the exceptions in fear of the dreaded Australian Centrelink rules. But after all anecdotes are like a###holes. Everyone has one.

Alas, we keep beating our heads up against this wall:

On 5/13/2017 at 9:08 AM, Suradit69 said:

. . . for every story of "psychological torture" posted on TV there are undoubtedly thousands of people who are quite pleased with their condos or homes.

53 minutes ago, newnative said:

I do wonder,  since you clearly have no intention of spending one AUD on property in Thailand, why you are spending your precious time here telling us you will not spend your precious time to work towards any improvements where you live.  You know, life's too short for you 'to bother with such crap'.  We're up to around page 9 here so it's a lot of 'paper' to wade through.  A bit curious.  They don't have a horse in the race but they are sure interested in the outcome.  

The only interest I have is in correcting some of the misconceptions "owners" have about renters. And I do find it entertaining to witness the depths of stupidity some TV posters can plumb in their desperate efforts to prove themselves right. So yes, TV is one of my forms of entertainment. I do have others.

I think the OP's post is a good indication of what can go wrong for "owners". As you have pointed out, there are others who are happy with owning. Good luck to them. Not for me.

True, I don't have a horse in the race. So that disqualifies me from expressing an opinion, based on knowledge of the travails of "owners" in my area?