Psychological torture of condo living Jomtien

aussienam

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well you can't buy a house in your own name so that's a good place to start.

Personally to me that's not important that alone would not convince me to buy there's many other options available.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I chose Chiang Mai as I was not bothered about seaside, lovely to be surrounded by jungles, mountains  and fields, the smoke is not that bad, only one hour flight from Bangkok.

Most condos and moo bans are quiet, Russians and low grade farangs not much in evidence. We have Chinese but they don't bother me except for their driving!

All the shops and Farang bars, food and restaurants you want. Nice university city.

I have 3 rai of land in a very quiet area for sale for only a little more than your Pattaya condo cost. Condos are cheap here to rent or buy. 

Get out of Pattaya and try the North!

Gosh first torture his ears and now u going after his lungs?I doubt he will take u sales pitch serious.

Funny how people look at is as a vacation.  Drinking and kids playing is normal.  

Do not buy in tourist area !!!

Unless you are very hard of hearing and numb to the bass thump.  

Just seems so sad they we can not live with some simple rules and show respect to one another.

Thai and Chinese can be just as bad.  Do not understand the indoor voice concept at 2 am.

34 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Sorry OP... you have to get used to it.  This is what things are like in Thailand.  Quiet places are very rare.. even in the countryside.

I live out in a small rural village.. up north.  I have noise every day... and I mean sometimes ear splitting noise so we have to leave the house at 6am and stay out all morning if the village temple starts up its loud speakers.

On a bad day here is the schedule to look forward to...

5am - 10am.  Temple music (Thai pop music) and ranting monks.  Have to leave the house.  Hurts the ears.. walls and windows vibrating.. no ear plugs, sleeping in windowless store room or TV on Max volume will help.

10am - 6pm.   Swimming pool for school kids opens up... constantly screaming children, loud base music, gangs of teenagers racing up and down the street with loud exhaust pipes on motor bikes.

6pm - 8pm.  Next doors neglected chained and caged up dog collection starts screaming, howling, barking and yapping until the owner feed them.

8pm - 1am.  Parties, parties, parties, loud base music... even when far off.. base beat travels over the rice fields to our house.

During this time there are also..

Blasts from village loud speakers,

Drunk neighbours base music form their pick up truck in the garden,

Trumpets, drums, hysterical group laughing, Bollywood music from the Hindu meditation place,

Full volume radio music from Buffalo farmer and his wife who have built a hut overlooking out swimming pool.

And the various country noises like crowing roosters, packs of fighting dogs in the street, etc.

Oh, and not forgetting the twice a week outdoor dance / keep fit group base music down the street.

So, OP you don't have it so bad!!!!  Don't think country living is any quieter than the city.  In fact, I often escape to the city for the day to get some quiet time and relax.

Noise is just the norm in Third World countries so you have be prepared to avoid it, deal with it, or accept it to some degree.

<offtopic>

For example, Mexico. Try staying in a cheap hotel arranged around a central courtyard. OMG! And from my balcony in Puerto Vallarta only in the space of 10 minutes I heard all the following: the toilet leaking, refrigerator compressor, fan transformer, car horn, barking dog, a Credence Clearwater Revival tape, rooster crowing, miscellaneous shouts, loud car muffler, parrot squawk, vendor cowbell, whistling, and a blaring radio. You always know whenever a Mexican turns on his radio. To find the right volume, he first turns it up as loud as it will go, then backs it down to the desired level. Inefficient, perhaps, but a necessary power test. Mexican inter-city buses, a main source of transportation, are noisy if only because the driver has to listen to his cassette tapes (CDs) as loudly as possible. And then, too, the passengers may start singing. On the VIP buses, though far less crowded than the standard, the sound system is so good that one can’t escape it.

</offtopic>

Not all condos are the same , the big Lumpini Ville projects in Bangkok and Pattaya that are built for Thai families and mixed with farangs are not very noisy,   You just need to pick the right project , and you can't do that buying off-plan . You need to experience it first BEFORE you buy.  Anyway I already made my point about renting instead of buying , because its so cheap here. 

Edited by balo

OP: U are doing a good service by posting your experience as it will be a warning to others.

I have not read thru all the replies but I would suggest you get out of the place and sell it asap even if a loss is taken on the sale.

Especially in Thailand many parents let their children brats run wild and spoil them and the parents get offended if any complaint is made; as to the Russians, most of those that come to Pattaya are low level trailer park trash.

Cheap Czar-lies.

So get away as quick as u can for your own piece of mind!

I live in the best and/or worst conditions, depending on how you look at it. For those wanting to escape from a noisy condo, I can tell you for a fact that my condo is much quieter than my home in a small Issan village. Of course different locations have a lot to do with noise. My condo is located in a very large complex. It is a couple hundred meters from the main road with no monks chanting, no dogs barking, no roosters crowing, no wedding or funeral parties and no bars. Part of your buying strategy should be to take the location into serious consideration.

All that said, I do prefer living in the small Issan village. Of course I would like it to be quieter but I have gotten used to it. My condo visits are getting fewer and farther in between. I use the condo for a change in scenery and to visit old friends. During the sugarcane and rice harvests, my wife says she has no time to take proper care of me so those are good times to spend a few weeks in the farang ghetto.

My sympathies to the OP. I must say my brief experience of condo living bears no resemblance to the OPs. My Naklua, Pattaya condo is a haven of peace and quiet in the main. Exceptions are few and far between and tolerable. I say this as school holidays come to an end. The Condo Management at my complex seem efficient and proactive; maintenance, cleaning and repairs are all carried out and promptly when required.

I hope the OP can find a solution. Is it feasible to rent out your current property and rent somewhere new for yourself to live in? Rental income may exceed any new rental outgoings you have. Good luck whatever you do.

Maybe the OP could look at renting his apartment out to Russian holiday-makers, and renting/living elsewhere away from all the noise. I think we all get less tolerant of noise as we get older, and need peace and quite to relax.

Having said that, I think condo living in a holiday city, whether in Thailand or Australia's Gold Coast, has a fair risk of noise and disturbance. A the density of living increases, the noise levels must go up. Add a swimming people and rental apartments and anywhere will be noisy. As the building gets older, more and more people will want to rent out to try and get some return on their investment. Rents will become cheaper and another class of people (noisy people) will start to move in.

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The front porch/deck on our house in "suburban" Loei.  My wife was sitting out there the other day drinking a beer and eating chicken feet.  We don't own the swamp, just a little pond, but it will probably remain as is forever.

Pretty quiet except for the occasional extravaganza at the Wat just up the street.  It is right next to an unpaved alley, but there's very little traffic.  My wife's sister lives directly across the alley, so we can tell them to shut the hell up if need be.  The house next door belongs to the family. :)5915fd556732a_Loeihouseaerialview.png.b25179e483db8da6b8d95569641cb351.png

Loei house 4.JPG

Sunride Loei 2017.JPG

pond.jpg

Loei house.JPG

Loei house 3.JPG

Get many snakes there?

Talking from EXPERIENCE....The reason I never bought a condo in Thailand....

Thais never think of others in what they do in their daily lives....They do what they want, at any time they want, n do not care who they disturb at any hour of the night...:sleepy: or day, for that matter..

If you are after a relaxed retirement, never, never, live in a condo with Thais!

They slam doors all night long...No such thing in their mind as to JUST CLOSING a door quitely like we have been taught....

They play music all hours of the night etc, etc, etc....The louder the better any time...

Also, the walls in between are thin n not double brick to keep out noise....

Have a nice day...:smile:

Wherever in the world you buy an apartment it's always a risk, I've never known an apartment that had decent soundproofing from neighbours. In fact, at the last apartment I owned in London it ended in disaster. I won't even commit to renting for longer than 1 month, that means if I do get noisy neighbours I just move on.

2 hours ago, bkkrooftop said:

I used to have these same problems.. Im a light sleeper and I like my quiet environment.. Between the chinese, russians, and thais/drunk expats,.. As well as the poorly built /thin walls.. u basically hear people breathing on the other side.. So, slamming a door, fighting, etc.. Can make you lose your mind. 

I have found one thing that works.. Find out where the japanese stay.. They are almost obsessive with every thing.. It gets annoying but it is a sanctuary of peace.  You also want to find an older building. Something that was made 20-30 years ago.  The walls will be thick /dense and definitely better with noise.  I would never stay at a new, modern place in bkk.  They are so poorly made but look fancy on the outside.. ( for about 5yrs ) .  I have found that even in cambodia, the places are built better. 

I would just rent it out if I was you and live somewhere else.. good luck. make a choice and live with it.  Dont hide in your bathroom.. that sucks.. I have found here , if it is bad.. It usually doesnt get better.. Just move

By your reasoning the new "Base" building on Second Rd. Pattaya should start falling down in 2021.

I hope I will be able to enjoy the scene as the residents demonstrate outside. 

I have no sympathy as it is people buying such places that are changing Pattaya in, IMO, the wrong direction.

I just don't get why they all have to come to Pattaya, while many other places would welcome them that were never Fun Zones, like Hua Hin and all points south on the gulf coast.

I had the same problem in Sydney Australia. The last straw was when a Chinese guy and his wife and kid moved in directly below my unit. He played the piano from 7.30am till 10pm every day. When I questioned him on how he could play everyday all day he proudly told me his wife and teenage son also played the piano. He actually got the cops on me coz I used to bang loudly on his door. They told me he was entitled to play the piano all day. I showed them the body corporate rules where it clearly stated you cannot make any noise or play any musical instrument that imposes on your neighbour's repose.  Did not do any good. It took 6 months to get rid of him as he was only renting. The piano used to reverberate thru my walls there was no escape. I was not able to sort him out like a man as he wore a brace on his leg so I could not hit a cripple. The worst 6 months of my life.

I had the same problem in Sydney Australia. The last straw was when a Chinese guy and his wife and kid moved in directly below my unit. He played the piano from 7.30am till 10pm every day. When I questioned him on how he could play everyday all day he proudly told me his wife and teenage son also played the piano. He actually got the cops on me coz I used to bang loudly on his door. They told me he was entitled to play the piano all day. I showed them the body corporate rules where it clearly stated you cannot make any noise or play any musical instrument that imposes on your neighbour's repose.  Did not do any good. It took 6 months to get rid of him as he was only renting. The piano used to reverberate thru my walls there was no escape. I was not able to sort him out like a man as he wore a brace on his leg so I could not hit a cripple. The worst 6 months of my life.

I feel your pain there mate!

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Noise pollution, especially from bars, is harming the real estate market in Jomtien.  The noise gets worse the higher up you live.  It is almost impossible to escape the noise pollution in the city.   The place is going downhill fast.  One word of advice:  rent before you buy, and never buy.

11 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

Could have been worse, he could have played the piano like Les Dawson

2 hours ago, champers said:

My sympathies to the OP. I must say my brief experience of condo living bears no resemblance to the OPs. My Naklua, Pattaya condo is a haven of peace and quiet in the main. Exceptions are few and far between and tolerable. I say this as school holidays come to an end. The Condo Management at my complex seem efficient and proactive; maintenance, cleaning and repairs are all carried out and promptly when required.

I hope the OP can find a solution. Is it feasible to rent out your current property and rent somewhere new for yourself to live in? Rental income may exceed any new rental outgoings you have. Good luck whatever you do.

Here at Chateaudale/Thabali we are very pleased with a dedicated team of committee members who do their upmost in keeping everything up to standard,  And with still reasonable maintenance fees, compared to what newer developments demands. Nice and quiet environment with just a few families. Very few short term rentals, which is a receipt for quality. 

There are good quality condos to find , but prospective buyers need to do some homework.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:46 PM, shady86 said:

I would always look for a condo not facing main road, high floor and clear from future constructions. Anything other than these is recipe for disaster.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is obvious for anybody with a brain but not for all it seems.

3 hours ago, tontraveller said:

Here at Chateaudale/Thabali we are very pleased with a dedicated team of committee members who do their upmost in keeping everything up to standard,  And with still reasonable maintenance fees, compared to what newer developments demands. Nice and quiet environment with just a few families. Very few short term rentals, which is a receipt for quality. 

There are good quality condos to find , but prospective buyers need to do some homework.

And they should not buy on plan...

40 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

The part that is not obvious is that sound travels up.  In general, the higher you are, the worse the sound problem becomes because you get it from almost all directions.   Noise pollution is a growing problem in Jomtien.

I've lived in condos around South East Asia for the past 5 years and would say here is the most unpredictable. Common sense doesn't exist and nobody cares other than ownself.

4 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Noise pollution, especially from bars, is harming the real estate market in Jomtien.  The noise gets worse the higher up you live.  It is almost impossible to escape the noise pollution in the city.   The place is going downhill fast.  One word of advice:  rent before you buy, and never buy.

I do find it slightly odd that people come to live in Pattaya/Jomtien and then complain about noise from bars..lol

Not the same thing as having noisy neighbours living in your condo building, slamming doors, shouting etc. etc.

I quite like to hear the buzz from the bars when I'm in my room.