Police probe possible negligence after fallen tree kills woman motorcyclist

rooster59

Police probe possible negligence after fallen tree kills woman motorcyclist

By THE SUNDAY NATION

15f7b2e812ded49081acf0db8bf7341f-sld.jpeg

POLICE are investigating to determine whether negligence was involved in yesterday’s collapse of a large tree in Bangkok’s Soi Chidlom that killed a passing motorcyclist.

The Metropolitan Police commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn said yesterday that someone must be held responsible for the incident.

“In the civil aspect, police will find if anyone committed negligence. In the criminal aspect, we will investigate the people involved with the tree for clear details,” Sanit said. 

“I can ensure justice for all the parties involved. You can rest assured,” he added.

A woman was killed when a power pole broke after being hit by the falling tree and landed on her motorcycle around 10am yesterday.

The banyan tree was first grown inside an office building’s compound when it was built 20 years ago.

Police said Nitchaphat Somjet, 25, a resident of Bangkok’s Bang Sue district, was riding her motorbike past the spot when the electricity pole snapped. The falling tree had pulled down power cables, causing the pole to break.

The fallen tree also damaged two other motorcycles and two cars near Central Department Store’s Chidlom branch. Police said another motorcyclist was injured in the accident. Traffic in Soi Chidlom, an alley off Sukhumvit Road, was closed for over three hours as a result of the freak accident.

Workers from Pathum Wan District Office were sent to clean up and remove the tree from the street.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha offered his condolences to the victim’s family and instructed the relevant state agencies to provide remedy to them, according to government spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

Morakot Sanitthangkoon, chief of Pathum Wan District Office, which has jurisdiction over the accident area, said yesterday that the district office would become stricter with private tenants in taking more care of large trees within their properties in order to prevent similar accidents in future.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315139

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-14

>Morakot Sanitthangkoon, chief of Pathum Wan District Office, which has jurisdiction over the accident area, said yesterday that the district office would become stricter with private tenants in taking more care of large trees within their properties in order to prevent similar accidents in future.<

Really? Well, fine then.

Now how about all those tax-payed parachute-patched clowns  - like yourself btw. - in charge of public safety ... if anything like this exists at all ...?!

Open sewers and drains, gaping holes in sidewalks, dangling power-cables etc., etc. ... a never-ending list for sure.

Without appropriate consequences for blatantly failing their duties exactly nothing will change, ever - just like with the numerous traffic-offences ... 

5 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Sad. R.I.P. to the young lady. It can be classed as an Act of God.

Why would god want to kill this woman? I've long thought with all the suffering in the world he/she/it must be a psychopath. You seem to agree. Those who believe in their imaginary friend will no doubt blame it on another fictional figure, the devil.

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why would god want to kill this woman? I've long thought with all the suffering in the world he/she/it must be a psychopath. You seem to agree.

In legal usage throughout the English–speaking world, an Act of God is a natural disaster outside human control.
I mean, it just happened. Nobody wanted or expected it. And it is sad.

14 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

In legal usage throughout the English–speaking world, an Act of God is a natural disaster outside human control.

Reading the article this is my take away. Quote 

The Metropolitan Police commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn said yesterday that someone must be held responsible for the incident.

Just now, MaksimMislavsky said:

Yes, owner/user of the land  where the tree stands will probably offer some compensation to the family...

Its an unfortunate accident of course lets hope no one sees lucky lottery numbers in this. 

It wasn't the tree which killed the Motorcyclist. 

The tree blew over in strong winds onto the telegraph lines (phone, internet, power lines)... 

These lines brought down a handful of concrete telegraph poles, a little like a domino effect.

About 100m from where the tree fell, a falling concrete telegraph pole fell directly into the road and onto the passing motorcyclist. 

IMO: Fault : 1) The tree was poorly secured. 2) The telegraph poles were poorly secured. 

IMO: the failure to adequately secure the telegraph poles is poor / lazy planning / workmanship - The fault lies directly with the local authorities. 

Another Video

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiVisaNews/videos/10156172447033012/

Edited by richard_smith237

On 5/14/2017 at 11:40 PM, MaksimMislavsky said:

In the UK (*some call it a nanny state), the local authorities visited my Sisters house, the tree in the Garden (+100 years old) was to be checked. It was found to have some form of weakness (disease ?) which weakened the limbs. 

The tree was all but chopped down....  leaving bare stumps, where limbs were to re-grow. 

Of course, Thailand has nothing such as this... 

In the UK (*nanny state) there are many measures put in place to ensure our safety. Thus, while this may be considered an 'Act of God' the consequences could mitigated almost fully given the correct direction, care, legislation etc... 

However, this 'Act of God' was not only not-mitigated against, it was exacerbated with the poor construction of telegraph poles (as my above post comments). I've seen another video of the same event (Panthip forum) a telegraph pole falls on and kills the motorcyclists (not the tree).