You be the Judge (Jury and Executioner)

Judge, Jury and Executioner  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Yeh, anything possible in LOS....:tongue:

Well I do work for BTS, and I work on the Red Line project (for SRT), but I don't do signalling and train control.

So I think the travelling public are safe from the Butterfly Effect, as to other potential safety issues ...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Thanks for sharing the vid, good mental training/reminder.   

My main reason for posting was to show we're all fallible, and it takes only a moment of inattention to turn into an accident.

I thank everyone for a well mannered discussion, please let's continue in that fashion.

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Reckon your house, infrastructure and related moving parts, have been done right all around.

Thankyou, it's come out ok, wifey is very happy, it was her desire that drove the design. You can read the whole story here

1 minute ago, transam said:

If me I would chop those trees on the land outside your gate......I did the same at my place....:stoner:

The ones on the driveway outside the gate are ours and don't block the view of the road (they block the view of the neighbor's shacks).

The one that does block the view is not ours, I may get Wifey to talk to it's owner now there's been an accident.

IMO: 100% the old dears fault. She's cycling down the wrong side of the road, no lights. 

She didn't anticipate that you were obviously pulling out. 

That said, you could have avoided the accident by double checking to your left... But, that said, you could have avoided the accident by not moving at all, or not even being there in the first place !!!... no really, its her fault, she should not be riding down the wrong side of the road against traffic. 

You handled it well though.. 

10 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

50-50...

She is obviously on the wrong side of the road plus no lights.

Crossy has been here long enough to know that you should always expect the unexpected.. Look left, right, up and down when making a turn :)

Yup... I've been here 20 years, I've avoided many accidents when pulling out of Soi's and driveways by being extra vigilant in observations of the silly things other do. 

What can be frustrating here is that its almost the social norm that we are expected to accept partial blame for the stupidity and carelessness of others. Almost as if we are being brainwashed into the acceptance of daft and careless behavior, sort of like a 'social stockholm syndrome' whereby we start to believe this silly stuff ourselves. 

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Crossy has been here long enough to know that you should always expect the unexpected.. Look left, right, up and down when making a turn :)

If I don't look up I'll be hit by something falling off an elevated railway (RIP to the boys who died in the Red Line launcher failure).

If I don't look down I'll be hit by a ruddy submarine!

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup... I've been here 20 years, I've avoided many accidents when pulling out of Soi's and driveways by being extra vigilant in observations of the silly things other do. 

What can be frustrating here is that its almost the social norm that we are expected to accept partial blame for the stupidity and carelessness of others. Almost as if we are being brainwashed into the acceptance of daft and careless behavior, sort of like a 'social stockholm syndrome' whereby we start to believe this silly stuff ourselves. 

Thank you for that Richard, your last sentence says it all. I can't tell you how often I ask myself "is it me?" :laugh:

I had something similar here. Since the guy (on a motorbike in my case) was being obstinate I called the police and the insurance, end result: he had to pay for damage to my car, deducted from his monthly salary.

IMO: legally the bicycle was to blame, but it was avoidable by the car driver.

20 hours ago, transam said:

And it's all earthed.....:clap2:

I have an auto earthed gate thingy too....It's called Mrs.Trans....:giggle:

I think the proper term is grounded... unlike some of your posts.... unless they are about Toyota's and tire pressures of course.

Jus' jokin'...

Good tip on the gate thingy. Usually, I have the choice of over four with Mrs NL, NL Jr, nieces and the itinerant hangers-on around the estancia. However, at any given moment and notably when it's p!ssing down, none of them seem to work. Do you think I have a bad ground or should I just get an umbrella?

Edited by NanLaew

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I think the proper term is grounded... unlike some of your posts.... unless they are about Toyota's and tire pressures of course.

Jus' jokin'...

Good tip on the gate thingy. Usually, I have the choice of over four with Mrs NL, NL Jr, nieces and the itinerant hangers-on around the estancia. However, at any given moment and notably when it's p!ssing down, none of them seem to work. Do you think I have a bad ground or should I just get an umbrella?

I thought grounded was when one wasn't allowed out the house, or bad weather prevented planes taking off....cheeky-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif.db2738708ee2fabb8fa0fcf22a308dd2.gif

Being on the wrong side of the road in Thailand doesn't appear to count as long as it is in the motorcycle lane.

OP may want to get his peripheral vision checked, it does deteriorate with age. I avoid driving at night when possible for that reason.

I can't form an opinion on blame. Not enough information/evidence. It's clear the OP was not expecting traffic from the left.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It was dark and she had no lights, thought that would be pretty obvious.

Or the driver didnt look left.

If the driver looked left before pulling out. Then its noones fault. 

If driver didnt look then its the drivers fault.

She has right of way. 

Question is if it was possible to see her or not. And the camera angle dosnt tell if it was possible.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah, combine that with the mai pen rai attitude and the loss of face thing that prevents all analysis and discussion and you have virtually no improvement....

30 minutes ago, hobz said:

Or the driver didnt look left.

If the driver looked left before pulling out. Then its noones fault. 

If driver didnt look then its the drivers fault.

She has right of way. 

Question is if it was possible to see her or not. And the camera angle dosnt tell if it was possible.

How does she have right of way riding on the wrong side of the road in the dark with no lights? So if the driver said he looked left, even though he hadn't, he gets a pass?

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How does she have right of way riding on the wrong side of the road in the dark with no lights? So if the driver said he looked left, even though he hadn't, he gets a pass?

I didnt realize she was riding on the wrong side of the road. With that in mind its 100% her fault.

As for your other question, its not what he says that matters, its what he did. Probably only he knows if he looked or not. Anyway, pointless now since she was driving on the wrong side anyway.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

I didnt realize she was riding on the wrong side of the road. With that in mind its 100% her fault.

As for your other question, its not what he says that matters, its what he did. Probably only he knows if he looked or not. Anyway, pointless now since she was driving on the wrong side anyway.

You obviously didn't watch the video, otherwise you would have known that, also that it was dark and she had no lights.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You obviously didn't watch the video, otherwise you would have known that, also that it was dark and she had no lights.

I did watch the video before commenting.

You have to take my word for it lol.

I thought it was allowed for bicycles to ride on any side of the road. So i didnt even consider that she was on the wrong side.

1 minute ago, hobz said:

I did watch the video before commenting.

You have to take my word for it lol.

I thought it was allowed for bicycles to ride on any side of the road. So i didnt even consider that she was on the wrong side.

You didn't notice that it was dark and she had no lights?

You didn't notice that it was dark and she had no lights?

I did notice that. But as i wrote in my initial comment the angle of the camera didnt tell if it was possible to see her or not.

No good to argue that point if you're dead or a paraplegic.

Well, depends on if you want to argue whats smart or what is legal.

Is it illegal to ride bicycle im the dark? Nope.

Is it illegal to drive bicycle in the dark with no lights? Im not sure. Could be. You know?

Is it illegal to ride bike on the wrong side of the road? Yes. Apparently. Although nobody seems to have translated section 79-84 in thai highway code thingie... Its the section about bicycles....but i assume that everyone commenting that she was on the wrong side is right.

Found section 79-84 translated.

Bicycle must have at least front light.

Another nail in the coffin...

Also bicycles are subject to most other sections according to section 84. So probably confirms that they must drive on the correct direction.

2 minutes ago, hobz said:

Well, depends on if you want to argue whats smart or what is legal.

Is it illegal to ride bicycle im the dark? Nope.

Is it illegal to drive bicycle in the dark with no lights? Im not sure. Could be. You know?

Is it illegal to ride bike on the wrong side of the road? Yes. Apparently. Although nobody seems to have translated section 79-84 in thai highway code thingie... Its the section about bicycles....but i assume that everyone commenting that she was on the wrong side is right.

Without getting into the legalities, people have to take responsibility for their actions. Riding a bicycle (or motorbike) with no lights in the dark on the wrong side of the road is just plain stupid and inviting serious bodily injury or worse.

Without getting into the legalities, people have to take responsibility for their actions. Riding a bicycle (or motorbike) with no lights in the dark on the wrong side of the road is just plain stupid and inviting serious bodily injury or worse.

Yes, thats why i said depends on if you want to argue smartness vs legality.

Clearly implying that what may be legal might not be smart .

Anyway, looks like she was both stupid and legally wrong.

Section 80. For the bicycle riding on the road, road shoulder, or lane 
provided for riding bicycle, the driver riding bicycle must provide:
(1)... (2) ...
 (3) at least one headlight installed in front of the bicycle giving white 
light shining ahead which causes road surface to be clearly seen at least fifteen 
meters away, and shining lower than eye-level of the oncoming conveyance; 
 (4) at least one taillight installed at the back of the bicycle giving red 
light shining backward, or fixing red light reflective material instead, which reflexes 
upon light shined.

Section 84 states that bicycles are subject to section 33. It states that vehicles gotta drive on the left side of the road unless signs say otherwise. Basically.

She is guilty to both violations.

The car driver did nothing wrong unless he admits to reckless driving, admitting he didnt look. Only he and god knows that.

Even if he looked it might not have been possible to see her. Again, only he and god may know that.