11 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

so many derelict  and empty units   ? reason being overloaded market   and Thais like new,

rental same old  new  its a  ooooo look what i have got   we are so rich   maybe i will buy a new truck to sit outside  for everyone to look at with envy

Oh so liking new things over old and flaunting one's comparative wealth is now a trait of thais only.

Show offs, keeping up with the jones etc have been meat and drink in the west for eons man.

Yes i understand all the reasons but i think the op's question is why there are so many with so many being vacant. I live in Buriram and there are literally 100's of vacant shop houses and they are constantly building more. Some are brand new, never been lived and the owner will build several more on the same rd. Does not make sense. I have asked my farang friends who have lived in Buriram 10 years why so many shop houses. Reply its the Thai way

1 hour ago, Blue bruce said:

Yes i understand all the reasons but i think the op's question is why there are so many with so many being vacant. I live in Buriram and there are literally 100's of vacant shop houses and they are constantly building more. Some are brand new, never been lived and the owner will build several more on the same rd. Does not make sense. I have asked my farang friends who have lived in Buriram 10 years why so many shop houses. Reply its the Thai way

An illogic act is often hidden in the answer 'it's the Thai way', because there is no reasonable answer forthcoming...

14 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Oh so liking new things over old and flaunting one's comparative wealth is now a trait of thais only.

Show offs, keeping up with the jones etc have been meat and drink in the west for eons man.

i dont recall saying it was just a Thai thing   as you say world wide  seemingly  more so here  hense my post

14 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Funny that you cannot understand that if you have money, building now is a lot cheaper than in 10 or 20 years !

And no property tax in Thailand, so you do not need to rush to rent !

Never wondered why certainly 100000+ condos are built but nobody care renting them in BKK ?

It explains why many of you have never been able to make any money in this country !

Edited by bangkokairportlink

1 minute ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Funny that you cannot understand that if you have money, building not is a lot cheaper than in 10 or 20 years !

Never wondered why certainly 100000+ condos are built but nobody care renting them in BKK ?

It explains why many of you have never been able to make any money in this country !

You'll have to further explain yourself, Cannot make much sense out of your post.

14 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

You'll have to further explain yourself, Cannot make much sense out of your post.

Only cannot understand what is so easy it seems

- if you have money, building now is a lot cheaper than in 10 or 20 years

- no property tax in Thailand, so you do not need to rush to rent

18 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Only cannot understand what is so easy it seems

- if you have money, building now is a lot cheaper than in 10 or 20 years

- no property tax in Thailand, so you do not need to rush to rent

I seriously doubt whether most foreigners are making plans for 20 yrs down the road.

Basically you're saying build shophouses now, let them sit MT for 20 yrs and then what??

33 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

I seriously doubt whether most foreigners are making plans for 20 yrs down the road.

Basically you're saying build shophouses now, let them sit MT for 20 yrs and then what??

And then hope that the building will not crumble before they build a train station nearby...

1 hour ago, thehelmsman said:

I am just saying the facts and the way it is, then you like it or not is not my problem.

8 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Funny that you cannot understand that if you have money, building now is a lot cheaper than in 10 or 20 years !

Hang on a minute, you are failing to factor in the time value of the capital used to build the houses, and the fact that there is zero return on that capital (in fact negative actually if you take upkeep and the pending land tax into consideration).

On May 22, 2017 at 0:01 PM, Blue bruce said:

I know couples back home with 5,000sq' homes for the 2 of them. Makes about as much sense to me.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

I know couples back home with 5,000sq' homes for the 2 of them. Makes about as much sense to me.

Different. They still occupy and maintain the place and it's become the vacation place for children and grandchildren comes summer and Christmas.

Construction industry is a good way of laundering money, either through the value of the land and buildings and/or through the construction company that builds it. So in a lot of instances it doesn't really matter if the building is eventually sold, as the job is done and the grey money is now in the system 'legally'. Additionally the land and building, vacant or otherwise, still holds value as collateral.  It's usually the shophouse lots you see built on land in odd places or even in the middle of nowhere that are likely guilty of this; no point wasting money on expensive land.

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Construction industry is a good way of laundering money, either through the value of the land and buildings and/or through the construction company that builds it. So in a lot of instances it doesn't really matter if the building is eventually sold, as the job is done and the grey money is now in the system 'legally'. Additionally the land and building, vacant or otherwise, still holds value as collateral.  It's usually the shophouse lots you see built on land in odd places or even in the middle of nowhere that are likely guilty of this; no point wasting money on expensive land.

The unspoken reason that is hidden behind the answer "It's the Thai way"?

9 minutes ago, trogers said:

The unspoken reason that is hidden behind the answer "It's the Thai way"?

Not at all. Money laundering is global.

In Thailand, as well as Malaysia, the humble shophouse is often a suitable medium.

Edited by Stocky