Dodgy roads in Pattaya causing problems for tourists and locals

webfact

Dodgy roads causing problems for tourists and locals

By Online Admin -

soi-13.jpg?resize=696,392

PATTAYA: -- Locals and tourists alike have been kicking up a fuss recently regarding the state of some of Pattaya’s roads, especially one that links Second Road and Beach Road, otherwise known as Soi 13/3.

Unfortunately for locals, the road has gradually been getting worse for a number of years now, yet nothing has been done to solve the problem. Tourists have now started complaing too, saying the some of the potholes in the road are highly dangerous for both motorists and pedestrians.

The Soi stretches about 200m long, but maneuvering your way down the Soi, whether on foot, motorbike, or car, can take quite a lot longer than you would expect.

After the complaints came piling in, and with the increase in accidents occurring in the Soi, the authorities were forced to pay a visit and look into ways to deal with the problem before it gets any worse.

Not only is the Soi dangerous, but business owners in the area complain that the state of the Soi often puts customers venturing into the Soi, therefor harming business trade.

Photos were taken as a full report was made regarding the state of the road to be taken back and discussed with the powers that be. Locals will be hoping that a solution to the problem is found sooner rather than later.

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-05-25

It's easier to count the amount of Sois that are in good condition than those that are not. I have noticed over the years that really bad potholes normally only get filled in and repaired after someone has a really nasty accident. The whole town could use some serious road repair, but I doubt it will happen.

51 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I read somewhere that it had something to do with it being a private road. Though don't quote me on that. :smile:

A private road being used by anyone, including HGV and coaches who caused most of the surface damage.

All the resurfacing effort is currently on Sukhumvit at the tunnel so hang in, they may get round to 13/3 later.

If you are sat at one of the bars or eating establishments the road is a source of amusement, have it resurfaced and it is just traffic, dust and fumes so leave it alone!

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If you are sat at one of the bars or eating establishments the road is a source of amusement, have it resurfaced and it is just traffic, dust and fumes so leave it alone!

You paint a flattering picture of expats and tourists sitting on barstools, amusing themselves with the misfortune of others.

Funny how the roads in Bang Saen, the Thai tourist resort just down the road, are all in excellent condition, and I have never seen roads as bad as the two mentioned here in Pattaya. Sometimes a 4-Wheel Drive is necessary for Soi 13/3, and any repairs often last less than a week.

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Whats your point?shopowners complain about a dangerous pothole road now why u bring up drunks and beer bellies seems u a bit oftopic.

Because unfortunately ANY topic concerning Pattaya gets the members who spend their lives watching rice grow fire off Pattaya bashing posts. Secretly they wish they were here. 

You would think that the Town Hall has a huge budget to run the city with the amount of revenue millions of tourists bring in. Sadly no - the money goes to Central Government and they release a pittance ( they need the submarines!)

With a bit of luck- with the new administration more money can be spent - and less being siphoned off through corruption.

Lets hope the Soi gets fixed. 

There are actually a number of decent roads here. Especially the highways. I have seen worse in major cities in the US.  Much worse.

The 2 worse I have seen that are regularly traveled are 13/3 and Chaiyaboomboom (Chaiyapoon).  I assume there are more.  

It would not take much to clean them up.

But, maybe it would be left barely completed like the beach nourishment.  Which reminds me, there is now some terrible fowl smell like a dead body on the other side of that wall.  I am afraid to go look. 

Edited by bkk6060

Soi 13/3 looks like a billiard table compared to the small east Thapraya road that runs up to Villa Thongbura and and Soi 17 Theprasit. I have to use this miserable track because it leads to my favorite watering hole. It takes about 5 minutes to ride the scooter up! Even walking along it is treacherous.

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Everywhere all over Thailand

in my province we have roads resurfaced, widened even tho not needed; intelligent thai friend of mine looked at me like i was the last one to the party; he said:' it has nothing to do with need'; is  corruption and fulfilling old contracts;

never mind that we resurface a main road then tear it up less than a month later to widen it

2 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

in my province we have roads resurfaced, widened even tho not needed; intelligent thai friend of mine looked at me like i was the last one to the party; he said:' it has nothing to do with need'; is  corruption and fulfilling old contracts;

never mind that we resurface a main road then tear it up less than a month later to widen it

the road widening i mention includes radically misplacing the UTurns (not being where they are really needed: temples,schools); so now we have all kinds of backups at these UTurns which could have been so simply avoided;

there are also pedestrian walkovers at tiny schools that will never be used; new bus stops that are not needed and will never be used; whole thing is a mess

One of the issues City Hall has is that many Thais who are working here do not re-register in Pattaya and keep their registration (and therefore their vote) in their home villages. My GF has about 20 siblings, nieces and nephews working here but all still maintain their names on their respective blue books in their Issan village. The end result is that City Hall budget is allocated on a headcount which officially is considerably less than the actual number. For once it isn't the fault of us farangs............... but we will still get the blame!

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe they can take a look at Chaiyapoon also.  Although it is a slower traffic Soi, still a horror to get through. 

But, I bet not.

13/3 is smooth compared to Chaiyapoon, where even when walking you risk to sprain your ankle.

More than once I saw sportive scooter riders tumble.

13/3 is smooth compared to Chaiyapoon, where even when walking you risk to sprain your ankle.

Is Chaiyapoon not private - owned by Lengkee.

2 minutes ago, Orac said:

Is Chaiyapoon not private - owned by Lengkee.

That would be an explanation. But have no idea.

Soi Lengkee is not that bad except for the intersection.

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Whats your point?shopowners complain about a dangerous pothole road now why u bring up drunks and beer bellies seems u a bit oftopic.

sorry I hurt your feelings. Won´t happen again.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Totally.  It is easy not to pay attention on a motorbike as I am always looking around to see who is saying "massage".Almost dumped my new bike at the end in that gravel not far from 3rd road. When you hit that spot I think it is important to speed up, not slow down. Walking is better but like you say, still risky if not paying attention. Which is easy to do.

I regularly use third road in Pattaya and between Soi 17 and pattaya central road the metal work under the tarmac road surface is exposed. The potholes are very dangerous, especially to motor bikes. The dozens of buses that go down this road every day, packed with tourists are destroying it and nothing will be done. 

10 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Funny how the roads in Bang Saen, the Thai tourist resort just down the road, are all in excellent condition, and I have never seen roads as bad as the two mentioned here in Pattaya. Sometimes a 4-Wheel Drive is necessary for Soi 13/3, and any repairs often last less than a week.

In most cases after the road gang fill in potholes its safer to avoid driving over their work and it only lasts a month if we are lucky

The idiots cannot even fill a hole in

Edited by wakeupplease