Iconic American Harley Davidson Motorcycles to be Made in Thailand

webfact

Overseas manufacture is nothing new for H-D. I have owned one Harley - a 175cc 2-stroke made in Italy. Still got the workshop manual, somewhere.

Might add the whole idea was a disaster, with the small exception that H-D actually competed in the 1975 500cc Grand Prix. I believe they may have even won a race, possibly the only time they ever beaten anything other than other H-D.

BTW the company they bought and resold (Aermacchi) eventually morphed into MV Augusta, which H-D bought again for another financial disaster.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

a commenter said Harleys are taxed to protect Thailand's big bike market.  Thailand has no domestic brand(s) of big bikes that I've ever seen, only foreign companies manufacturing and/or assembling some models here, such as the Jap bike makers and Ducati and Triumph (and maybe more), so that "dawg don't hunt" as we American rednecks say.  Hopefully we'll see some positive change after Trump gets serious about Thailand.

Actually I think Thailand just has a social structure applicable to bikes. Only rich people should be allowed to use them, and keeping them legally should be made difficult and awkward (just to register a green book is about 50,000 if you're not connected).

We have recognition of sub 150cc sector - for poor people. Not desirable, so must be parked well away from the entrance doors to shopping areas (Central Bangna recently rectified this, moving them twice - now at the furthest end of B1 carpark from the entrance). Superbikes (i.e. 250cc up) are 'HiSo' now and subject to surcharge (30baht parking) alongside the Supercars. Really,  500cc Honda goes next to the Ferrari.

Now I'd like to hear an explanation of pricing... Honda's PCX 150 is made here, and priced here... 80,000 (cheaper than the West). Then we have Honda's 300cc bike priced for an extra 150cc at 175,000.... woah - extra 100,000 for an upsize scooter! This does seem more than a reasonable increase in price to get out of the gutter scootering brigade. Of course, the police never allow you out of the gutter, as there IS no difference between a motorcy and a motorcy. They simply don't have enough intelligence to develop language or thinking to accommodate these... ahem.... new ideas?

Police stopped me on a GSX-R750 and told me that 'motorcycles' (which is Thai for Automatic Scooter) should not be ridden over 60km/h because they're dangerous. Meanwhile a 1960 Isuzu pickup with no remaining paint and one door held on with some old flex sailed past drowning us in a cloud of diesel smoke...

14 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but on the HD USA website the 2017 Street Rod Starts at $8,699 which is about ฿298,000. The Roadster starts at $11,299 or ฿398,000 Anyone that has shopped for any new vehicle in the US realizes you will not find one at the "Starting At" price. 

Even if QC remains high or low, I doubt it will change the factory retail price here. HD buyers are a bizarre lot, the high price seems to be a status symbol. 

I got these prices from the Harley -Davidson sight.

Just did a little more research on whether or not the locally assembled bikes would be cheaper and it appears to depend on whether they incorporate under BOI or not, the zone the factory will be in and on the deal they can negotiate with the Government, initially Triumph did assemble under BOI in a certain zone and that was under the condition that the bikes were assembled here and then exported only, Triumph renegotiated that BOI agreement at the end of 2014, which then allowed them to sell the locally assembled bikes, this resulted in a dramatic decrease in the cost.

So, potential HD buyers, keep your fingers crossed on what the deal with the Thai Government is!

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The parts will no doubt still be taxed and the bikes will probably be subject to VAT as well so they still won't be as cheap as in the US, however the parts will still be manufactured in the states.

you think Harley parts are manufactured in America. ? Haaaaa I used to drive parts to them. IMPORTED junk made in China. More parts on a Honda were manufactured in America than on a Harley. Esentially Hondas were more American made than Harley's. what a travesty. 

However with the ASEAN trade agreement, prices will be substantially lower to the Thai and ASEAN market.(because parts are made in china.  I would never buy a Harley though. They are absolute crap now. 

17 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Actually I think Thailand just has a social structure applicable to bikes. Only rich people should be allowed to use them, and keeping them legally should be made difficult and awkward (just to register a green book is about 50,000 if you're not connected).

We have recognition of sub 150cc sector - for poor people. Not desirable, so must be parked well away from the entrance doors to shopping areas (Central Bangna recently rectified this, moving them twice - now at the furthest end of B1 carpark from the entrance). Superbikes (i.e. 250cc up) are 'HiSo' now and subject to surcharge (30baht parking) alongside the Supercars. Really,  500cc Honda goes next to the Ferrari.

Now I'd like to hear an explanation of pricing... Honda's PCX 150 is made here, and priced here... 80,000 (cheaper than the West). Then we have Honda's 300cc bike priced for an extra 150cc at 175,000.... woah - extra 100,000 for an upsize scooter! This does seem more than a reasonable increase in price to get out of the gutter scootering brigade. Of course, the police never allow you out of the gutter, as there IS no difference between a motorcy and a motorcy. They simply don't have enough intelligence to develop language or thinking to accommodate these... ahem.... new ideas?

Police stopped me on a GSX-R750 and told me that 'motorcycles' (which is Thai for Automatic Scooter) should not be ridden over 60km/h because they're dangerous. Meanwhile a 1960 Isuzu pickup with no remaining paint and one door held on with some old flex sailed past drowning us in a cloud of diesel smoke...

What can I say except...yep!

GSX-R750..... NICE and classsy, just a different genre...

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Woooohoooo !!!!

Say good bye (eventually) to the HUGE mark-ups on Harleys in the future !

Remember - it is an "assembly" plant, not a "manufacturing" plant. The parts will no doubt still be taxed and the bikes will probably be subject to VAT as well so they still won't be as cheap as in the US, however the parts will still be manufactured in the states.

One reason Harleys are so frakken expensive in Thailand is the tax/tariff charged to import them. A brand new bike in Thailand can cost twice as much (or more) as the exact same one in the USA. I was told (a few years ago) that Thailand slapped the high tariffs on to protect the domestic bike market. (As there are plants that make Hondas and Kawasakis and other "big bikes" in Thailand - not sure who makes what in this country though.) A new (2017) Heritage Softail in the US retails for around 615,000 baht ($16,500 US) while in Thailand you are looking at over 1,200,000 baht for the same bike.

If Harley starts assembling bikes in Thailand that may eliminate (some of) those taxes/tariffs and let people buy at a decent price. As we know, S.E. Asia has a large market for big bikes and it will probably get bigger in the near future. (Pretty sure Harley wouldn't even considered opening a plant in Thailand unless they'd conducted feasibility studies first.)

A new (2017) Heritage Softail in the US retails for around 615,000 baht ($16,500 US)

Are you working on the exchange rate US$1 = 10 baht? I know that the buck ain't what it used to be, but hey? BTW, do you have any dollars I can buy off you?

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Just did a little more research on whether or not the locally assembled bikes would be cheaper and it appears to depend on whether they incorporate under BOI or not, the zone the factory will be in and on the deal they can negotiate with the Government, initially Triumph did assemble under BOI in a certain zone and that was under the condition that the bikes were assembled here and then exported only, Triumph renegotiated that BOI agreement at the end of 2014, which then allowed them to sell the locally assembled bikes, this resulted in a dramatic decrease in the cost.

So, potential HD buyers, keep your fingers crossed on what the deal with the Thai Government is!

" and on the deal they can negotiate with the Government," is the key, as I sid previously, wait to see all the issued as part of the deal custom CVO's for the Generals haha

3 minutes ago, hobobo said:

A new (2017) Heritage Softail in the US retails for around 615,000 baht ($16,500 US)

Are you working on the exchange rate US$1 = 10 baht? I know that the buck ain't what it used to be, but hey? BTW, do you have any dollars I can buy off you?

16,500 USD as of today = ~567,000 THB

15 minutes ago, hobobo said:

your dyslexia is showing.

13 minutes ago, Mattd said:

16,500 USD as of today = ~567,000 THB

I stand corrected! Drinking too late into the night (or rather, morning) makes maths confusing, to say the least! Apologies.

Gangs ride these. Why anyone would associate themselves with these pricks is beyond my intelligence? 

These are usually very loud and wake up everyone.

It could be a small dick factor, but I think it is often egomaniac idiots who are driving these. Still, there are many egomaniacs that drive a lot of stupid cars and trucks. LOL I guess if you want o advertise that you are an AH egomaniac, that is good. I can stay clear. I don't have to vet you.

Even if they make the hog in Thailand ,If it's the same as the cars they make here they will not be cheaper then in the Us ,The cars they make here are dearer than in home country.As for quality,shouldn't  make much difference as the Hog is known to fall in to bits anywhere anytime.

1 minute ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

I'm talking bout the farangs ?

Well I guess if they are avid motorcyclists from Siberia, where motorcycling is a daily occurence like all of the scooter riders in Phuket going 4 up (missus and kids under 5) with no helmets it must be OK huh?

It's not the bike that is the problem, and most people that ride Harley's are VERY responsible if not only because of the expense of the repairs, it's the idiots riding them!  If you can handle a Harley I am reasonably sure you can ride safely, of course how one rides is a matter of choice....

An old saying. "Loud pipes save lives" isn't far off the mark, they NEVER look who is coming when they pull out but MAYBE they will hear you huh?

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Even if they make the hog in Thailand ,If it's the same as the cars they make here they will not be cheaper then in the Us ,The cars they make here are dearer than in home country.As for quality,shouldn't  make much difference as the Hog is known to fall in to bits anywhere anytime.

Well I have riden my Night Train ALL around Thailand and it never EVER missed a heart beat, and it was far more comfortable than ANY Jap bike over that distance, horses for courses I guess,  But PLEASE don't make silly comments about something you know NOTHING about...

4 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

What I've seen of these things here is that they're used as treatment for "Little Dick Syndrome"

Anti social to say the least "I have an inferiority complex but my machine is louder than yours"

What a load of hog wash many people like beautiful bad ass sounding bikes. Maybe your the own with low self esteem because of a little dick. BTW I don't own or even like Harley's. 

What I've seen of these things here is that they're used as treatment for "Little Dick Syndrome"

Anti social to say the least "I have an inferiority complex but my machine is louder than yours"

3 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

What a load of hog wash many people like beautiful bad ass sounding bikes. Maybe your the own with low self esteem because of a little dick. BTW I don't own or even like Harley's. 

All I can say is the treatment works I gained 3 inches hahahahaha!!

I guess everyone that owns a Harley has his own reasons, me, personally, I KNOW if I owned a Yamaha R1 over here I would be dead.  It has been a comfortable and reliable bike, I love adding bits to it to customise it, it's great fun!  I don't have to go fast I have nothing to prove, I RIDE A HARLEY and for me that's enough...

It's something special!

Harley is not moving manufacturing to Thailand, they will only assembly certain models here and save app 60% tax.

The Dyna models and down will be assembled here, so not; touring- soft-tail- v-rod. This is only something I heard from a friend but he got pretty good connections to the Thai HD market/imports.

Many Thai assembled HD's will go to China, shipping will be app 7 days compared to 45-60 from the US, so that makes perfect sense by HD, spreading out like many other car/bike manufacturers does.

Well just get over it, eh. If you are British and you want a Triumph Bonneville, you will be getting one from Thailand, LOL.

I also use to ride HD here in Thailand, it never broke down or leaked oil, most posters here (most, not all) never owned a HD and are talking out of their ass.

Most comfortable bike I ever owned, loved it.

None of the HD guys I rode with had small dick syndrome (expats/Thais), quite the opposite, successful guys in their work (can afford a HD in Thailand, some had more than 1), relaxed, cool.

Okay some HD guys here in LOS are members of the notorious bikers gangs originated from the US but I had not much to do with them, only talked to some of them at the HD shops around Pattaya now and again. As long as you don't insult them, you will not having any problems with them.

thats it no more quality , best bike in the world getting <deleted> up

make sure that they have the made in thailand sticker on it like the Lifan bikes( 555 only the sticker is thai made)

so we can avoud buying them

1 hour ago, RigPig said:

What can I say except...yep!

GSX-R750..... NICE and classsy, just a different genre...

My bike hadn't got much class - I took off the clip-ons and put a higher bar on it too. Yellow and black made it look like a transformer - so I called it Bumblebee.

Harley's class is a bit like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - a bygone era. When things were made so they could be fixed... A lot of things are sold on nostalgia - I grew up with a 'Buy British' campaign where everyone bought Leyland cars and hated people who bought Japanese junk. We hated Japanese bikes and loved British - but the truth is that they were really just junk too. 

However, you can park it on the grass... and the engine purred from 1000 up to a ridiculous 13,000 rpm. It cost me 120,000 baht and lasted me 6 years before I sold it for 80,000.

We had a few Harley users in England - they're okay as long as they don't need to do any turns. Not good for runs up to the Lake District, or for a weekend blast up through Garstang into the Scottish Highlands really.