Oil spills threaten Koh Phangan beaches

webfact

Oil spills threaten Koh Phangan beaches

IMG_1646.png

Oil spills, believed to be from foreign fishing boats, have tainted the beaches and mangrove shores of Koh Pha-ngan in Surat Thani province forcing local authorities to investigate and seek assistance from relevant government agencies to help clean it.

The oil spills tainted a 500 metre long section of the beach and mangrove shore at Hin Kong Moo 6 in Ban Hin Kong of Tambon Koh Phangan.

According to Phet Phangan mayor Pittaya Inkong, he believed the oil spills were released from foreign fishing boats which came to fish in the areas.

The released oil spills were later blown to shores by winds, he said.

He said the oil tainted beach and mangrove shore are recreational areas where tourists always like to visit and watching sunset.

Full storyhttp://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/oil-spills-threaten-koh-phangan-beaches/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-25

21 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Technically correct. The  Burmese/Myanmar quasi slaves who work on  fishing vessels are indeed  foreigners. :sleep:

Oh yes of course......so its the blame game again.  Rather than sort out problems of ones own making lets blame someone else.....

16 hours ago, fish monger said:

The hell with caring for the environment or even any mention of it...! Just be concerned with those tourist dollars...! Same story every time.

If you had read the original article ...

Moreover it is also the nursery ground for marine life, particularly “Hoi Klom” or round shells which is a delicious and favourite dish for locals and tourists.

He said a meeting would be called to investigate and to seek help from other relevant state agencies to resolve the problems which is now threatening the environment.

Yes, I am tired of always reading about "foreign" causes to problems (see my post above).

But, if I may speculate a bit... perhaps there is a reason. The story notes that the Mayor will " investigate and seek assistance from relevant government agencies to help clean it."  I wonder if this is a matter of either convenience or law. If the spill and associated damage can be shown/designated to be from a foreign cause, then the Mayor might be eligible to apply for government funds for a clean up. If it is shown that the spill was caused by Thai interests (for want of a better way to put it), then it might have to be litigated through the courts (which is a long and fraught process) in order to get the funds for a clean up..

Perhaps the blaming of foreigners in this case is a convenience to get funds?

Food for thought...

Edited by Samui Bodoh

I was in this area of KP on Monday, I usually stop as it is usually quite nice there, but the tides are extremely low at this time of year...so I did not bother... but I  took these photos just up the road..

But it does make one wonder,.....

:whistling:

Koh Phangan -2-174.jpg

Koh Phangan -2-177.jpg

I doubt if it was fishing boats as there doesn't seem to be any significant fish left due to over fishing.

There are plenty of speed boats (full moon party etc.) and diesel chugging ferries however .............